Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Just finished Snow Crash. Was good.

Finished your review of Snow Crash. Was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Grey posted:

Octagon by Fred Saberhagen

I'll admit that I bought this book off the clearance rack based mostly on the cover. I enjoy reading weird old sci-fi books that don't age well. This one was written in 1982. I remember reading some of Saberhagen's Berzerker books as a kid and enjoying them, although I'm not sure if I would still think that today.

There is this new turn based strategy game going on that has a bunch of players.This being the early 80's and the players scattered throughout the country, everyone is playing by snail mail. You mail your moves to the game HQ, they process everyone's turns, then mail the results back out to the players. Normally you'd only think of neckbeards playing this sort of thing, but this game has:

- Hero dude who just got out of the military
- Hero's super rich and technically cutting edge uncle. (He has robots rolling around his house acting as servants.)
- A theology professor in Chicago
- An "athletic and tall 20-year old woman who could be mistaken for a man if it wasn't for her large breasts"
- Some loser nerd who just got divorced and gets killed off early
- A smart 12-year kid who's grandfather works for Los Alamos

The kid ends up hacking into Los Alamos using his grandfather's modem. He gets on their Cray Supercomputer to help plan his moves, and then we get a War Games scenario where the Supercomputer thinks the game is real life and starts trying to kill off the kid's competition. This is no ordinary computer though, it can reach into any network and take it over. At one point it takes over an automated factory and builds that wheelchair death-bot thing you see on the cover, complete with one hand for holding a pistol and one hand for choking. I'm not quite sure how it managed to get up stairs and curbs to murder though.

As is frequently the case with old sci-fi male authors, the woman and sex are laughable. There is a scene where the hero and another woman have sex and are cuddling in each other's arms afterwards. The dialog literally goes like this:

I wouldn't call this book "good", but it is enjoyable.

Octagon was written as a joke. The game in the book is in fact a real game called Starweb that existed in the old days of Play By Mail. Players have a hidden role that determines how they score, and one of those roles is as one of Saberhagen's Berserkers. However, nobody bothered to ask permission to do so and while Saberhagen wasn't totally upset when he found out he wrote the book as a teensy bit of punishment.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Bilirubin posted:

Just finished Snow Crash. Was good.

That's the book widely considered the origin of Cyberpunk, right?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

El Marrow posted:

That's the book widely considered the origin of Cyberpunk, right?

I thought that was Neuromancer?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VelociBacon posted:

I thought that was Neuromancer?

It was Neuromancer. Neuromancer came out in 1984 and Snow Crash not until 1992; by 1992 there had been a lot of cyberpunk in between (including Sterling-edited Mirrorshades and Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired).

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

ulmont posted:

It was Neuromancer. Neuromancer came out in 1984 and Snow Crash not until 1992; by 1992 there had been a lot of cyberpunk in between (including Sterling-edited Mirrorshades and Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired).

Ah ok gotcha. Exploring the origins of that world has been on my list for a while.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Jedit posted:

Octagon was written as a joke. The game in the book is in fact a real game called Starweb that existed in the old days of Play By Mail. Players have a hidden role that determines how they score, and one of those roles is as one of Saberhagen's Berserkers. However, nobody bothered to ask permission to do so and while Saberhagen wasn't totally upset when he found out he wrote the book as a teensy bit of punishment.

That's really interesting. I figured Starweb was an actual game but didn't know the history behind this. One of the other "jokes" Saberhagen put in the book then is he called the company that created Starweb "Berserkers Inc." and said they named themselves after a successful sci-fi author they were fans of.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

El Marrow posted:

Ah ok gotcha. Exploring the origins of that world has been on my list for a while.

Snow Crash is one of the seminal works of cyberpunk, so you should still read it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

Snow Crash is one of the seminal works of cyberpunk, so you should still read it.

That actually sounds like a good reason to not read it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I still really don't understand what cyberpunk is or how it would be fun to read about, so I have to side with a human heart on this (Lord/Satan help me)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I still really don't understand what cyberpunk is or how it would be fun to read about, so I have to side with a human heart on this (Lord/Satan help me)

I think it's one of those things that has to hit you at a certain point in your life, like a lot of fantasy/scifi stuff tbh. I'm 32 and came to adolescence watching Johnny Mnemonic and right as the internet etc was developing into what it is. It's still a guilty pleasure but I love me some cyberpunk.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can understand cyberpunk in a visual medium, like film or even video games, but reading about it sounds about as fun as hearing about someone's golf game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VelociBacon posted:

It's still a guilty pleasure but I love me some cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk is dated in that a lot of the bits, for better or worse, are just real life these days.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Cyberpunk is dated in that a lot of the bits, for better or worse, are just real life these days.

Isn't there a bit in a Stephenson novel about a dude having to run for his life over an incredibly sophisticated flash drive that can hold a whopping 125 megabytes?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't there a bit in a Stephenson novel about a dude having to run for his life over an incredibly sophisticated flash drive that can hold a whopping 125 megabytes?

Possibly, but I think you're confusing it with Johnny Mnemonic's 160GB of cranial storage.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Possibly, but I think you're confusing it with Johnny Mnemonic's 160GB of cranial storage.

Well, for most goon's that a pretty high mark.

To contribute, I read T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets on vacation, and they were excellent. The Dry Salvages was the highlight of my weekend.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's one of those things that has to hit you at a certain point in your life, like a lot of fantasy/scifi stuff tbh. I'm 32 and came to adolescence watching Johnny Mnemonic and right as the internet etc was developing into what it is. It's still a guilty pleasure but I love me some cyberpunk.

32 and coming of age during the beginnings of the internet describes 90% if people on this forum. I don't really know what cyberpunk is or how its different from other forms of science fiction

Anyway I just finished The Crying of Lot 49

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

fridge corn posted:

Anyway I just finished The Crying of Lot 49

Book fuckin' owns. The twisty conspiracy stuff is delightful.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Just finished Hillbilly Elegy. Was very disappointed, the book was highly recommended, but I found it to be pretty terrible, and the author to be completely up his own rear end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Franchescanado posted:

Cyberpunk describes life on the margins/underclass of a world transformed by networked computers, machine intelligence, and super powerful corporations. In the Gibson mold it's characterized by noir influences, glossy detached prose with an eye for beauty in the action of machinery and contrast between the ultratechnological and profanely ordinary.

It basically became nonfiction so it's kinda 'so what' now

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

General Battuta posted:

Cyberpunk describes life on the margins/underclass of a world transformed by networked computers, machine intelligence, and super powerful corporations. In the Gibson mold it's characterized by noir influences, glossy detached prose with an eye for beauty in the action of machinery and contrast between the ultratechnological and profanely ordinary.

It basically became nonfiction so it's kinda 'so what' now

The guys who make the Deus Ex series of computer games talked about this a year or two back. It was hard to market a cyberpunk RPG because pretty much everything that distinguishes cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction has become a part of real life.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I feel like the geek who would be really invested in the "empowered hacker living on the edge surrounded by sheeple" fantasy is also just into zombie apocalypse scenarios now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of Crime and Punishment.

Once more I lament for my complete lack of literature education in the southeastern United States, because only now do I see how much I like Dostoevsky.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Frankenstein.

Pretty meh.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sandwolf posted:

Frankenstein.

Pretty meh.

lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

Frankenstein.

Pretty meh.

Would you go so far as to call the book a monstrosity? :downsrim:

Also, what are TBB's general thoughts towards David Gemmell? I've just been recommended his books by a colleague after talking about the Witcher (novel) series. (I'm reading The Black Company next, but you never know - there might be a spot free, after that)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Major Isoor posted:

Would you go so far as to call the book a monstrosity? :downsrim:

Nah, it was pretty good from an internal philosophy perspective, duality of man as a god, stealing something from the gods but doing it imperfectly. Just a lot of waxing philosophical, I get it Victor, you love scenes of nature and narcissism.

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
I just finished The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch.

It's set in a small Bavarian town in the mid-1700s. A child's body washes up from the river with a mark tattooed on him, and the story focuses on the town hangman and the town doctor's son as they try to catch the child's killer.

Despite the book being named after her, the hangman's daughter is mostly a love interest for the doctor's son. She's not useless by any means, but she's definitely not as major a character as the book's title would suggest. I think it's part of a series, so maybe she has a bigger role in later books.

I only paid 99p for the Kindle version, so I wasn't expecting much going in. That said, I was pleasantly surprised - the setting and most of the main characters are fleshed out well, and the plot's engaging enough if a little prone to characters forgetting and remembering things at convenient times. It was originally written in German, and the English translation for the most part is also pretty good - barring one or two odd turns of phrase dotted here and there.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Library At Mount Char by Scott Hawkins.

I really enjoyed this. Original, daring, and absolutely bugfuck.

Robot Wendigo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 23, 2017

okraslayer
May 21, 2017
The Space Between Our Hearts - Kat Evans

Lesbian Romance novel.

Was never really into this genre but met the author and decided to give it a try. It was a good read and was good enough in my opinion to read her other work Sizzle.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you, like, is that just for jacking off, or like what

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

okraslayer posted:

The Space Between Our Hearts - Kat Evans

Lesbian Romance novel.

Was never really into this genre but met the author and decided to give it a try. It was a good read and was good enough in my opinion to read her other work Sizzle.

How did you meet the author?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Looked in the mirror. That's right, I'm claiming a self-published author burnt ten bucks to plug their stuff under false pretenses. No I cannot back that up.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
A Head Full of Ghosts, by Paul Tremblay

I liked it. Its surprises weren't mind blowing, but I enjoyed the way events were questioned within the text, as well as the possible multiple interpretations it invites. I probably would have liked it even better if I hadn't read We Have Always Lived in the Castle first, but it felt like an interesting nod to a better work.

A Roadside Picnic, by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

This was excellent! I was looking for something bleak and unsettling, and this delivered. One section dragged, but overall the narrative was tight enough to keep that from being a big issue. This book hosed me up in ways I did not anticipate, and did its work well.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've been working on some of the 33 1/3 books, which are a whole series of short books, each about a specific album's creation. So far I've read the Let it Be and Exile on Main St books, both of which were pretty good. Looking forward to breaking out of the classic rock though, next up are In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and either Paul's Boutique or Bowie's Low album.

I've been particularly enjoying reading a physical book (as opposed to an ebook) while laying in bed at night and listening to the album that I'm reading about.

Also about 3/4 through a reread of American Gods, which I'd only read once before when it first came out. It's not quite as good as I remember but it's still really enjoyable.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lawen posted:

I've been working on some of the 33 1/3 books, which are a whole series of short books, each about a specific album's creation. So far I've read the Let it Be and Exile on Main St books, both of which were pretty good. Looking forward to breaking out of the classic rock though, next up are In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and either Paul's Boutique or Bowie's Low album.

I've been particularly enjoying reading a physical book (as opposed to an ebook) while laying in bed at night and listening to the album that I'm reading about.

Also about 3/4 through a reread of American Gods, which I'd only read once before when it first came out. It's not quite as good as I remember but it's still really enjoyable.

I really loved the one for Flood by They Might Be Giants, but probably because they're my favorite band.

okraslayer
May 21, 2017

A human heart posted:

How did you meet the author?

I work as a rural carrier part time and she is on one of the routes I work on. Noticed she was getting a lot of mail for some other name and asked her about it.. Just making sure she wasn't getting the wrong mail... Turns out it was for her pen name and told me about her side hustle of writing this sort of lit. She also let me in on some of her other works she has not published yet a bio bit and youth books.

As for what did I enjoy about it.

It is kinda romance / just good fiction.. Not exactly "50 shades of gray" stuff. I like fiction to begin with so it tickled that part of the brain fine. The characters where there and I actually gave a dam about what happened to them & had enough of a mystery /detective vibe that I enjoyed it. I wold have never picked up a book like this just off the shelf or searched for it online, but since I met the author and she seemed cool & did a good pitch for book I gave it chance. Besides I have amazon kindle unlimited so didn't cost me anything outside of subscription already. Just wish there was a paper back copy & have her sign it.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Greg Egan's Permutation City. Really enjoyed in, high concept sci-fi that got very weird at the end but still made sense. It's the second Egan book I've read and he's already become a firm fave of mine.

It's very much a book about the concepts it explores, rathern than characters or a direct plot. (which is either a huge red warning flag or something you enjoy). Liked the flow and he doesn't get info dumpy about the ideas in the book.

It deals with "Copies" - emulated versions of human minds, looking at a world of digital haves and have nots, the nature of self and the mind. And from there is gets really out there, in a pleasing brain bending way.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

DroneRiff posted:

Greg Egan's Permutation City. Really enjoyed in, high concept sci-fi that got very weird at the end but still made sense. It's the second Egan book I've read and he's already become a firm fave of mine.

It's very much a book about the concepts it explores, rathern than characters or a direct plot. (which is either a huge red warning flag or something you enjoy). Liked the flow and he doesn't get info dumpy about the ideas in the book.

Egan's quite something. He's a real science fiction author: so much of SF is cowboys / cops / Hornblower / etc in space but he's totally about science and strange stuff that happens as a consequence. For my taste, he gradually gets too lost in the ideas and info dumps as time goes by (a friend joked about "the obligatory point in an Egan novel where the characters question the ontological basis of their own reality") but it's still amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

okraslayer posted:

I work as a rural carrier part time and she is on one of the routes I work on. Noticed she was getting a lot of mail for some other name and asked her about it.. Just making sure she wasn't getting the wrong mail... Turns out it was for her pen name and told me about her side hustle of writing this sort of lit. She also let me in on some of her other works she has not published yet a bio bit and youth books.

As for what did I enjoy about it.

It is kinda romance / just good fiction.. Not exactly "50 shades of gray" stuff. I like fiction to begin with so it tickled that part of the brain fine. The characters where there and I actually gave a dam about what happened to them & had enough of a mystery /detective vibe that I enjoyed it. I wold have never picked up a book like this just off the shelf or searched for it online, but since I met the author and she seemed cool & did a good pitch for book I gave it chance. Besides I have amazon kindle unlimited so didn't cost me anything outside of subscription already. Just wish there was a paper back copy & have her sign it.

So did you jack off