Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Dude draws like this so of course none of his stuff is translated

Also he contributed to a 2017 Touken Ranbu anthology lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=5046 I'm in there

quote:

Patalliro is the story of the young boy king, Patalliro, and his many misadventures as he avoids being assassinated by various beautiful boys with the help of his bodyguard, Major Jack Bancoran, of England's Information Bureau. Later they're joined by the hot-blooded Maraich, who has fallen madly in love with Jack.

e:

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 23, 2017

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Captain Invictus posted:

In this chapter of Yona, we see soo-won get shook as gently caress

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Akatsuki-no-Yona

Soo-Won's advisor dude over there realizing that at this point Yona actually has de facto control over more of Kouka than Soo-Won does at this point rules a lot

coathat
May 21, 2007

Early era cute Patalliro is so weird looking compared to what he becomes.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

tfw you check the links hoping for something new to read but you've already read them :(

:f5:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat it i thought i pre-ordered the 2nd Kase-san volume but apparently did not. Boo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Soo-Won's advisor dude over there realizing that at this point Yona actually has de facto control over more of Kouka than Soo-Won does at this point rules a lot

More like advisor kye-shook

e: I doubt it'd ever really go this route but I'd be okay if this built up to Water, Fire, Wind, Xing vs Earth, Sky, Sei over the two claimants.

But instead Soo-won will probably just die in some heroic fight with the Chinese and leave the throne to Yona and Hak.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 24, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely think the endgame of Yona is going to be a civil war with a pro-Yona and pro-Soo-Woon factions, both of which will be antagonistic to both of their wishes on the matter, especially Yona who seems at some semblance of peace with Soo-Woon on the throne since it means a more stable Kouka.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

there's always money in a claimant war

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
New Kaguya!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The last chapter of Nanashi no Asterism was uploaded to Dynasty yesterday, and there's all kinds of gender-bending and hijinx.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Boy did I not like that series.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just one chapter so far but it's really cute :3:

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/himitsu_ni_shiro_yo/mi/23e35922223ae16ee9f04519aa321a41_chapter-1/1/

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Agreeing that it's super cute :3: Shame that it doesn't have a lot of chapters published yet though (only about three from what the ending note said?)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Ok realquestion: the gently caress even is the job description for student council in japan? Aren't they just like, unpayed interns that do grunt work for the school staff?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They organize and oversee budgets for student-run events - so clubs, school festivals, etc. So effectively yes, in the basis of letting them have important responsibilities. They may or may not also oversee enforcement of some rules via a disciplinary committee. Students in Japan are given a ton more responsibilities than America, though irl I expect the results of this practice vary wildly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That said I am quite certain there is a different between Student Councils and Anime Student Councils, especially one with a student body consisting of mostly rich, politically influential, or super smart families.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

w-woah, kazehaya-kun

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Terper posted:

I liked it a lot but boy what a total non resolution

e:

thats some good content though

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 26, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mors Rattus posted:

They organize and oversee budgets for student-run events - so clubs, school festivals, etc. So effectively yes, in the basis of letting them have important responsibilities. They may or may not also oversee enforcement of some rules via a disciplinary committee. Students in Japan are given a ton more responsibilities than America, though irl I expect the results of this practice vary wildly.

Oh wow yeah. Don't think they'd let a student anywhere near a budget here.

I guess if they do disciplinary stuff then whats her name with the fliers isn't that far fetched then.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

I liked it a lot but boy what a total non resolution

thats some good content though

The boys were good and it should have been about them

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Terper posted:

It seems like the author envisioned all five of the main characters getting similar amounts of development but had to rush the ending due to its cancellation. On the other hand, it had pacing issues the whole way through, so who knows how long it would have taken to reach a conclusion without that. There's enough information in the author's notes to guess at the broad strokes of what happens after the final chapter, but that's hardly the most satisfying way to resolve things.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Terper posted:

Asakura was the most well-balanced + cool character but he was also the most boring imo

Thought the brother was absolutely terribly written and the worst character by far

Ending was bleh in every way that's for sure

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Asakura was the most well-balanced + cool character but he was also the most boring imo

Thought the brother was absolutely terribly written and the worst character by far

Ending was bleh in every way that's for sure

I think the part where he mentions being called shiratori 2/shiratori's brother and stuff showed how he ended up basing his identity around her in a much more natural way whereas it was super heavy handed the rest of the time. He also would have benefited from a more complete character arc which is what I would say for... pretty much everyone. Sad to hear it got canceled.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I think the background for his issues could have been okay but they were very much not developed properly, and I don't know that a manga that wasn't originally about him at all and was badly paced already could ever fit the development it needed. So the result was not so great, and also independent of that he was kinda an rear end in a top hat to everyone too which I found grating. There aren't a lot of manga that can deal with those kinds of issues very well sadly, especially translated ones.

I miss Wandering Son, sadly none of Shimura's other stuff (that gets translated) has really appealed to me that much since she suddenly decided to finish it and Sweet Blue Flowers up (poorly in the latter's case). drat it's been 4 years huh.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

This is also good content. I'm surprised by all this good crossdressing yaoi being out there

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It occurred to me today that I can't think of many longer series with actual intentional flirting between characters rather than blushing at coincidences, outside of like Bonnouji and Wotakoi. I am no doubt forgetting or unaware of many such series.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Horimiya question mark

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, definitely horimiya.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I read vol 1 of Toukyou Tarareba Musume since I got a coupon from the Play store and mostly underwhelmed by the premise. I don't like the main LI but the MC and her friends are good. It's shame since I liked Jellyfish Princess and her autobiography manga series.

Maybe it's because the main relationship is moving too fast? I'm slightly younger than the MC so my POV may be biased on dating/marriage. I keep looking for a josei that features mature woman in relationships that aren't total train wrecks or break up with bad people because it's never going to work out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Terper posted:

Yeah, I can't say I like it much either.. I just discovered it'd ended after adding it to my wishlist on baka-updates, but I didn't even finish reading it.

With that being said, though - and because I don't like making bad recommendations, you might like Lily Love which also just ended.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 27, 2017

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Alder posted:

I read vol 1 of Toukyou Tarareba Musume since I got a coupon from the Play store and mostly underwhelmed by the premise. I don't like the main LI but the MC and her friends are good. It's shame since I liked Jellyfish Princess and her autobiography manga series.

Maybe it's because the main relationship is moving too fast? I'm slightly younger than the MC so my POV may be biased on dating/marriage. I keep looking for a josei that features mature woman in relationships that aren't total train wrecks or break up with bad people because it's never going to work out.

Try "Everyone's Getting Married" by Izumi Miyazono. I thought I wouldn't like it because it's about a successful 20-something woman who really wants to get married and become a homemaker falling for a guy who is against marriage, but they're a really cute, supportive, understanding couple so far. I'm only 2 volumes in, though, that could change.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

chumbler posted:

It occurred to me today that I can't think of many longer series with actual intentional flirting between characters rather than blushing at coincidences, outside of like Bonnouji and Wotakoi. I am no doubt forgetting or unaware of many such series.

Are we talking het only here

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kusaru posted:

Try "Everyone's Getting Married" by Izumi Miyazono. I thought I wouldn't like it because it's about a successful 20-something woman who really wants to get married and become a homemaker falling for a guy who is against marriage, but they're a really cute, supportive, understanding couple so far. I'm only 2 volumes in, though, that could change.

I like this series so far :coffee:

I hope MC does not marry the LI because it's weird to keep dating a person who is against marriage and I'm going to guess he changes mind? It's ongoing but scanlations stopped at vol 4.

JIC anyone wants people who are dating w/intent to marriage-themed series and/or older heroines I have a list for you:

Koi-iji: MC can't get over her HS crush who can't forget his late wife.
A Bride's Story: Feature a series of characters from young kids to adults.
Tramps Like Us: Warning gets insanely melodramatic near ending and I hate the 2nd couple.
Futago: Similiar to Tramps like Us minus dumb drama
Victorian Maid Emma: They had an extra vol where they feature different married couples and their lifestyles.
Nounai Poison Berry: Strong intro but manga-ka has a bad tendency to write immature heroines aka 30 yr old women who act like 15 yr old :shrug:
Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Widower who meets a p/t worker and tries to cope w/her husband's death. Anime out.
Sekine's Love: Rare josei with a male MC who tries to deal with falling in love for the 1st time.

There's a few other series but idr their titles other than summaries.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DisDisDis posted:

Are we talking het only here

It occurred to me today that I can't think of many longer series without the couple already loving in the first volume.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just finished vol. 2 of Kase-san & (noun).

It is good and cute, i like Yamada's little sprout that pops out of her head. :3:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Just finished vol. 2 of Kase-san & (noun).

And I just got an email telling me it had no estimated delivery date. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lemon-Lime posted:

And I just got an email telling me it had no estimated delivery date. :(

Owned I got my e-mail saying that last week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

My comic shop only had volume 1, so that's what I got.

also, it looks like Gunjou Gakusha has finished being translated. It would get odd chapters at odd times, so it's kinda nice to be able to read it straight through now.