Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yup, many thin layers is fine, one thick layer and you're hosed. Ask me how I know this.

Painting miniatures? I did that with an old metal space marine dreadnought nearly 20 years ago. Mercifully, being metal, it survived a bath in brake cleaner and was repainted. I doubt that sort of thing would fly with plastic or resin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You just have to change the bath. Cillit Bang degreaser works fine on resin or plastic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I had good results with pine sol.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

You just have to change the bath. Cillit Bang degreaser works fine on resin or plastic.

Oh most definitely. I use Simple Green or Super Clean now and they work great so long as it's acrylic paint to be removed.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

For Tamiya X or XF paints I just use hot water with a bit of washing soda mixed in. Dissolves the paint in seconds, no need to brush even. Just swish the part through and see the paint disappear.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Really? I thought degreasers were bad for resin as they leech the hardener out?

I'm completely sorted for stripping plastic and metal now with Biostrip, but I have a fair pile of forge world resin I want to strip :(

I've been trying various strippers on large lumps of cut off gate material but they always end up turning it into rubber that crumbles away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Give it a shot on some scrap to be sure, because there are dozens of types of resin out there. Worked fine on old Battlefront miniatures when I used them.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Cool! Thanks, i'll grab a bottle and give it a go.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Anyone who designs a model tank such that the individual track links connect to the sprue on the surface where the links are supposed to mesh with eachother is a monster. That is all.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
If anybody in the UK wants one of these then let me know here and I'll send it your way. Only proviso is that I would like to see it built and painted here.

https://industriamechanika.com/shop/michael-herm/79-the-knight-by-michael-herm.html

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

big_g posted:

If anybody in the UK wants one of these then let me know here and I'll send it your way. Only proviso is that I would like to see it built and painted here.

https://industriamechanika.com/shop/michael-herm/79-the-knight-by-michael-herm.html

I'd be intersted- how much would you want w/shipping?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Lobster God posted:

I'd be intersted- how much would you want w/shipping?

Nothing but has to be UK, the only cost is that you have to build and paint it with progress pictures in this thread.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

big_g posted:

Nothing but has to be UK, the only cost is that you have to build and paint it with progress pictures in this thread.

Oh cool, am in UK and would definitely be up for progress posting. Been looking for a large-ish model to work on and practise a few new techniques on (got some Florey washes recently and want to try out some oil paint stuff too). Should I PM for details?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Lobster God posted:

Oh cool, am in UK and would definitely be up for progress posting. Been looking for a large-ish model to work on and practise a few new techniques on (got some Florey washes recently and want to try out some oil paint stuff too). Should I PM for details?

Yeh, drop me a PM.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

After 2 years of intermittent lunch breaks the giant brass steam train is now actially in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvcbf7TraM

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Just finished my Tie/IN. The Interceptor has always been my favourite SW ship so when I found the 1/72 Bandai kits in the UK I had to pick one up .

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Just finished my Tie/IN. The Interceptor has always been my favourite SW ship so when I found the 1/72 Bandai kits in the UK I had to pick one up .

Dope. Nice wash. Did you take any progress pics or can you describe your wash process? I'm gonna build the A-wing in that line and am always looking for tips.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the lego blaster bolts. Also tie interceptor is the best, was one of my fav ships to fly in TIE Fighter. Shields are for babies.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Van Dis posted:

Dope. Nice wash. Did you take any progress pics or can you describe your wash process? I'm gonna build the A-wing in that line and am always looking for tips.

Thanks :) No progress pics but it was literally just a black wash all over and wipe off the excess on the flat surfaces with tissue. Probably far from the best way to do it but it's quick and easy.

Baronjutter posted:

I like the lego blaster bolts. Also tie interceptor is the best, was one of my fav ships to fly in TIE Fighter. Shields are for babies.

Thanks, the blaster bolts actually come in the kit, and you can attach them to the chin guns or the wingtips.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You mounted them with little lego transparent cones though no??? Or something that happens to look exactly like them. Am I going mad?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Baronjutter posted:

You mounted them with little lego transparent cones though no??? Or something that happens to look exactly like them. Am I going mad?

I'm not familiar with the lego parts but those clear bits come in the kit too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Madness

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Greyhawk posted:

After 2 years of intermittent lunch breaks the giant brass steam train is now actially in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvcbf7TraM

Nice.

What's the new bote you pictured at the end of the previous page? I've been on vacation so a bit behind on the forum.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I hosed up the paint on my Earhart's Vega so I put it away and I don't want to see it for a while. Eventually I'll try to fix it but for now I'm over it. AMT, never again. Heads up: Duplicolor isn't as good and easy as Tamiya AS sprays.

So... last car I assembled was Revell skill 2. This one is Revell skill 4. Best I can tell is the pieces are generally a little smaller and need more-precise application of adhesive.

12A engine:

I don't know why the carb was on the chrome sprue. I've only ever seen them brown and vaguely steel-colored.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 3, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chromed carbs were a thing for a while for dressing up the engine bay, especially when teenagers could afford what are now super-expensive muscle cars from the late 60's, early 70's.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I built a 1:35 Tamiya Panzer III ausf L.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Frenz posted:

Nice!

I haven't had the time to build anything all spring, looking forward to some laze summer days of building hitler sleds.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

lilljonas posted:

Nice!

I haven't had the time to build anything all spring, looking forward to some laze summer days of building hitler sleds.

:cheers:

Greyhawk posted:

For Tamiya X or XF paints I just use hot water with a bit of washing soda mixed in. Dissolves the paint in seconds, no need to brush even. Just swish the part through and see the paint disappear.

I'll have to try this the next time I need to clean up a mistake when painting detail. Their acrylic acrylic thinner works decently for this but I'm always worried it's going to do something to the underlying finish.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Frenz posted:

Looks good!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Williams Bros 1/72 Boeing 247 racer model.

I redid the fuselage and engine logos in Photoshop because the kit decals were completely wrong. An old kit that I picked up cheap, I think it came out OK.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Anyone who designs a model tank such that the individual track links connect to the sprue on the surface where the links are supposed to mesh with eachother is a monster. That is all.

I hear you but on tanks that have raised detail on the surface that contacts the ground and raised detail representing the track pins on the sides there's not really an alternative. I was thinking maybe on the opposite face with the guide tooth but that's where they usually hide the injector pin marks. The absolute worst thing to clean up I've seen are injector pin marks in a recessed area below the contact surface.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Anyone have any experience with a GSI Creos Airbrush? I was looking at the PS289 to replace my current cheap airbrush, and it looked like an interesting alternative to the more expensive HP-CS or H&S Evolution.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Trying out hand painting the body on this RX7 rather than spraying it. I thought it would be a poo poo show but it's better than I thought so far.

I had one in roughly that color about 20 years ago. I know the series 1 never got tornado silver though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lobster God posted:

Looking forward to seeing this. That's a pretty cool looking model. I 3d printed a Battletech Mad Cat but I think the detail is too coarse to get too crazy with washes and such.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Revell is releasing a 1/72 Black Pearl with nearly 1000 parts.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm gonna buy it. Maybe I'll actually go back to modelling this Summer, too.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yooper posted:

Looking forward to seeing this. That's a pretty cool looking model. I 3d printed a Battletech Mad Cat but I think the detail is too coarse to get too crazy with washes and such.

That is really interesting. Would you show some photos of it?

Frenz posted:

Really clean, neat finish. It's very good!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So my airbrush's trigger keeps sticking - I think it needs a cleaning, but a cleaning where I remove the trigger, or otherwise let it soak in Iso alcohol. Advice?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

So my airbrush's trigger keeps sticking - I think it needs a cleaning, but a cleaning where I remove the trigger, or otherwise let it soak in Iso alcohol. Advice?

It may just need some lubricant--the cleaning kit for my airbrush included some for the trigger. Is there a gap you can shine a light into without removing the trigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My trigger stuck a bit, and it turned out I had the spring screw tightened too hard.