Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
I have read white led light is no good...lacking uv light I think.

Does anyone cultivate mushrooms? My sister and I are both taking a swing at it. Wine caps and oysters. Also I have found yellow morels for the first time! Growing right beside the building I work out of.

A good day! I hope you all are having a pleasing Sunday as well.

Back to poopsucking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm going to give mushrooms a shot in a month or so when I move and have more space to do so. There are some mushroom growing kits you can buy that, from what I've heard, are almost impossible to mess up if you follow the directions. Most of them seem to be of the button mushroom variety, I'm assuming that's because they're the easiest to grow.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
As a happy follow up to my post about wondering how to keep vermin away from my compost/house, two peregrine falcons have set up shop in the neighbourhood! Three days now I've seen them in the tree behind my house. Chasing a crow one of the times. This morning one was calling as it dipped around.
I wouldn't mind if they stick around, pretty to look at

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sir Bedevere posted:

I have read white led light is no good...lacking uv light I think.

Does anyone cultivate mushrooms? My sister and I are both taking a swing at it. Wine caps and oysters. Also I have found yellow morels for the first time! Growing right beside the building I work out of.

A good day! I hope you all are having a pleasing Sunday as well.

Back to poopsucking...

I grow mushrooms, I've grown various oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, and lion's mane. For some of them I buy little kits from the farmer's market and others I propagate myself on recycled newspaper kitty litter. They grow faster than most plants, but it isn't really that different of a process.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gently caress leaf footed bugs.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Jan posted:

So basically, white light, not incandescent? Okay.

This is a write-up for growing pot, but applies to veggies too. https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/5903134/better-know-a-grow-light/amp

Basically if you are just trying to grow seedlings, get a 5000k fluorescent bulb and stick it in a work lamp that can clamp on a shelf or pole or something. LEDs can be tricky.. can't just use any LED.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Holy poo poo planting happening today and 72F feels like 90F.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
What tranquility. You have a beautiful life there.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Compost chat: Right now, we’re generating a bit too much compost. Since it’s a single bin system, the compost that comes out of it ends up being a bit dense as I’m not able to really dry the compost out. There's often times uncomposted material mixed in. That and I just have too much compost for our scale of gardening. Here's what I'm doing:

Building a second stage composter - maybe something out of a small rubbermaid container
Setting up a vermiculture tower. Worms come this week, and from what I hear they tear through kitchen scraps pretty quick.

All of this I think should improve my situation. Once I start to get worm castings, I can more easily dry them, and the second stage compost will have more uniform material in it.

Drainage seems to be OK, as I’m testing it with a meter and making adjustments, but I'd like to get my soil draining a bit better. Does anyone have recommendations such as Perlite or Vermiculite so it's less peaty? Some Coconut Coir came with the worm farm. That looks like something I could consider for garden aeration.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 30, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Planet X posted:

Compost chat: Right now, we’re generating a bit too much compost. Since it’s a single bin system, the compost that comes out of it ends up being a bit dense as I’m not able to really dry the compost out. There's often times uncomposted material mixed in. That and I just have too much compost for our scale of gardening. Here's what I'm doing:

Building a second stage composter - maybe something out of a small rubbermaid container
Setting up a vermiculture tower. Worms come this week, and from what I hear they tear through kitchen scraps pretty quick.

All of this I think should improve my situation. Once I start to get worm castings, I can more easily dry them, and the second stage compost will have more uniform material in it.

Drainage seems to be OK, as I’m testing it with a meter and making adjustments, but I'd like to get my soil draining a bit better. Does anyone have recommendations such as Perlite or Vermiculite so it's less peaty? Some Coconut Coir came with the worm farm. That looks like something I could consider for garden aeration.

Get some different sized metal mesh/grids to sift out the bigger/uncomposted stuff, break it into pieces and stick it back in the composting bin, use the stuff that fell through your sifter.

Something I've heard is using pvc pipe with holes drilled into it that you put into the compost to increase aeration. It doesn't directly help your drainage but the air flow might help dry out the compost a bit.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, having a chimney is pretty important in compost piles that you aren't regularly flipping manually. I wouldn't bother with PVC though, get some 1/4" hardware mesh and roll it into cylinders.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fog Tripper posted:

Holy poo poo planting happening today and 72F feels like 90F.

That's a really interesting looking bed!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's a really interesting looking bed!

Used to be a huge ugly heap of stone. We had folks come in and doze it into something workable. Mutli-year project. last year we had the stone moved, this year tilling out the garden area (which is adding yet more stone to the walls) and mixing in compost from a local horse farm. You can see the red-brown compost in the pics. The ramp and platform above will eventually be grass, but right now it is 90% weeds.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Fog Tripper posted:

Used to be a huge ugly heap of stone. We had folks come in and doze it into something workable. Mutli-year project. last year we had the stone moved, this year tilling out the garden area (which is adding yet more stone to the walls) and mixing in compost from a local horse farm. You can see the red-brown compost in the pics. The ramp and platform above will eventually be grass, but right now it is 90% weeds.

That's a really cool plan. Looks like it might be a nice spot for some experiments with hugelkultur in the future too if you wanted. That stone looks lovely too!

I've discovered that wild thyme makes a fantastic ground cover and it's dense enough to choke out weeds and some slower mints. Two years after planting got I have spare splits to give away and as much thyme for cooking, cocktails, and garnishes as I want. It attracts loads of useful pollinators and cats won't dig in it nor will rabbits or squirrels.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's a really cool plan. Looks like it might be a nice spot for some experiments with hugelkultur in the future too if you wanted. That stone looks lovely too!

I've discovered that wild thyme makes a fantastic ground cover and it's dense enough to choke out weeds and some slower mints. Two years after planting got I have spare splits to give away and as much thyme for cooking, cocktails, and garnishes as I want. It attracts loads of useful pollinators and cats won't dig in it nor will rabbits or squirrels.

Actually picked up a couple starters of wooly thyme this weekend. Plan to put them first by the hive, as the bees are loving the bunches of it we used between our patio stones last year. Oregano really bushes out as well and I picked up some seeds to get it started in the really "dirty" sections of the rock. On the upper grass area I would like to border with seedum and lavender to repel the spiders.

The elevated area has awesome views of the mountains. Just that 6' increase in elevation did wonders.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Lavender is pretty popular with the bees and pollinating wasps here. I haven't seen woolly thyme around ever, though. I like variegated oregano -- still great for the kitchen and nice clusters of blooms, but the foliage has some additional aesthetic value and it's proven to be a strong evergreen perennial here in zone 6a. Mountain mint has been really good as a self seeding perennial with far less aggression than regular mints and thyme. Tiny flowers but a really sweet fragrance. Works beautifully as a fresh or dried tea and bouquet!

I'm jelly of that mountain view. :allears: my best view is of a historic cemetery. Not inspiring in the same way.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Temperature swings can be a bitch however...
https://www.wunderground.com/us/ut/heber-city/zmw:84032.1.99999

Once a few of the veggies get started I plan to put rocks near but not TOO near them, to soak in the head of the day and keep them most snuggly at night.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh wow. I think it's hovering in the mid fifties here. Nothing but leftover rain from nor'easters. Seedlings are loving this but it's hell on my potats and tomats.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh wow. I think it's hovering in the mid fifties here. Nothing but leftover rain from nor'easters. Seedlings are loving this but it's hell on my potats and tomats.

The campgrounds east of us are still inaccessible due to heavy snow and the ski runs still have snowpack. Snowbird closed the ski runs just yesterday, but no doubt could have stayed open longer. Timpanogos probably still has between 5-10' on it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:stonk:

Brings to mind the horrible plowed snow mountain in Boston last year? Or maybe it was the year before. Didn't finish melting until August. It was a terrible growing season, too. The alternating warm and freezing winter killed something like 9 of every 10 peach trees in the area and then the drought that summer kept deepening in its severity so the local growers had to hit the water hard at a time when the price of water was rising. Almost everything in my garden bit it if it wasn't drought tolerant because I didn't have anything set up for irrigation and just couldn't keep up.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:stonk:

Brings to mind the horrible plowed snow mountain in Boston last year? Or maybe it was the year before. Didn't finish melting until August.
TRIGGERED
:patssay:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

If it makes you feel any better, Providence was also a poo poo show but the city just did a terrible job of plowing. Apparently they let many of the veteran staff go and the temps didn't know what to do.

On topic.... Has anyone ever had a fig tree that has never budded let alone set a fruit?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
THe rock-edged beds triggered me, because I spent many, many, many hours as a kid, riding around in the back of a pickup and picking up stones to get them out of the field. There are few jobs I despise more than moving stones.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Fog Tripper: that looks gorgeous! I'm jealous.

I gave up and moved my rosemary outdoors into a much bigger container. It's looking a lot better!

My prickly pear is having a baby! At what point do I detach the new growth?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Shoot we got aphids on the pepper plants outside... Barring ladybugs, which I can't find outside right now, and it feels silly to order, any suggestions?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have a bunch of pepper (jalapeno, habanero, some generic chili) and cherry tomatoes plants that I've been growing out inside, but as of a few weeks ago it's been sunny and not-freezing at night enough that I considered moving them outside.

But all else being equal, would this actually be any better for them? The location is exactly the same, they could be just either inside or directly outside my eastern window. Unfortunately this means they're only getting about 3 hours of sunlight either way, maybe slightly more outside. Temperatures are more stable inside of course, and there are no pests to worry about. As I live in an apartment, the only other option would be to move them to the western side which might get a bit more sun starting in the morning.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

mobby_6kl posted:

there are no pests to worry about

This is not true. The prime example being spider mites, which will kick your plant's rear end faster than aphids. Also, a nice breeze outside will make your plants stronger and outside conditions in general will make the plants more hardy.
Peppers really aren't indoor plants.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Fog Tripper posted:

The campgrounds east of us are still inaccessible due to heavy snow and the ski runs still have snowpack. Snowbird closed the ski runs just yesterday, but no doubt could have stayed open longer. Timpanogos probably still has between 5-10' on it.

Since you apparently live in Utah (and I think I recognize the mountains), what's your experience growing chili peppers? I've been thinking of starting to grow up to make hot sauce and salsa, but I'm not sure what exactly to do.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
100 years, I have been repeatedly told that sharp streams of water, to the point of potentially blowing a couple leaves off, is very effective against aphids. Allegedly knocks them right off the plant and they don't climb back up.

I am intending to bring in and overwinter dozens of peppers and plan to use that method.

A couple times a day for a day or two. Just something to try if it pleases you.

Something very wondrous happened a few days ago. I noticed a wandering bee swarm and followed the cloud over to my shelter belt where it settled on to a tree trunk. My bee friend was AWOL but available in text form, so he let me equip his gear and guided me through the process of capturing them!
I now have a bee hive! Pouring handfuls of semi-liquid bees is not something I will soon forget.

A very cool experience.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Catpain Slack posted:

This is not true. The prime example being spider mites, which will kick your plant's rear end faster than aphids. Also, a nice breeze outside will make your plants stronger and outside conditions in general will make the plants more hardy.

Huh, haven't seen any of those bastards yet. But you're probably right, I'll try moving them outside and will see what happens.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Shoot we got aphids on the pepper plants outside... Barring ladybugs, which I can't find outside right now, and it feels silly to order, any suggestions?

Insecticidal soap. You can buy or make it. It only works while wet and does not persist in the environment. For best results use it in the morning. It will kill any aphids you spray it on.

Here's a recipe: https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-make-homemade-insecticidal-soap-for-plants/

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

lucifirius posted:

Since you apparently live in Utah (and I think I recognize the mountains), what's your experience growing chili peppers? I've been thinking of starting to grow up to make hot sauce and salsa, but I'm not sure what exactly to do.

Keep in mind this is the higher elevation side of Wasatch (and a hell of a lot colder). The daytime temps are nice for stuff like hot peppers, but the swing back down into the 40s at night seems to hamper proper growth. (Once the snowpack melts off that swing should not be as pronounced) Add to that the sunlight at this elevation and the arid condition and its a bit of a battle keeping them from getting burnt and over/under watered. We are only semi-serious about getting yield from our gardens. If I were I would probably use those water-tower things to both shade them in the day and keep them warm at night, at least until they outgrow them and mature enough to shade the ground and such. All that said, we've 4 truckloads of horse compost that we are using for mulch/fertilizer depending on direct sow or planting, and it should help with the watering issue this year.

But Yeah I would say the temp swings are the most brutal on the peppers. Once we got jalapenos going in the past, they did well but we really needed to babysit them.

Sir Bedevere posted:

Something very wondrous happened a few days ago. I noticed a wandering bee swarm and followed the cloud over to my shelter belt where it settled on to a tree trunk. My bee friend was AWOL but available in text form, so he let me equip his gear and guided me through the process of capturing them!
I now have a bee hive! Pouring handfuls of semi-liquid bees is not something I will soon forget.

A very cool experience.

Oh sweet. Free bees!

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 3, 2017

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I have an aphid infestation popping up and I just caved and bought ladybugs. Gonna release a handful or two onto my plamps-- my balcony garden is tiny-- and then pass the bucket to my friend who has a yard.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Alright, thanks. Good to know.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

elise the great posted:

I have an aphid infestation popping up and I just caved and bought ladybugs. Gonna release a handful or two onto my plamps-- my balcony garden is tiny-- and then pass the bucket to my friend who has a yard.

Make sure you provide a water source. A saucer or shallow bowl with some rocks or a clean sponge to stand on should work. Otherwise the bugs will gently caress off before the job is through!

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm growing Carolina Reapers this year and conditions in my garden are absolutely optimal for growing peppers but man do these things take forever to germinate

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Make sure you provide a water source. A saucer or shallow bowl with some rocks or a clean sponge to stand on should work. Otherwise the bugs will gently caress off before the job is through!

Oh man, thank you! I wouldn't have thought of that....

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Catpain Slack posted:

Yeah I was wrong. It's spider mites. Apparently they don't like the wet, and it rained all day... I'm going to check back on them tomorrow and hit them with some soap if necessary.

The outdoor thing is really interesting because the plants I have outside, though smaller, have really strong stems compared to those inside, though the ones inside have flowered first. It's pretty interesting.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I was wrong. It's spider mites. Apparently they don't like the wet, and it rained all day... I'm going to check back on them tomorrow and hit them with some soap if necessary.

The outdoor thing is really interesting because the plants I have outside, though smaller, have really strong stems compared to those inside, though the ones inside have flowered first. It's pretty interesting.

Wind helps strengthen the stems. If you start plants indoors, you can use a small fan set to low to simulate this. Air circulation and humidity help manage pests and disease too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Aphids :fuckoff: