Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Neutrino posted:

Lots of things about old houses work better than newer materials and techniques.

And lots don't, which is why they're no longer used.

quote:

But the basic thing is there is value in authenticity You don't want to rip out materials from an old house from hard-woods that cannot be found anymore and replace it with Menard's pine.

Value is subjective. Lots of people value a safe and comfortable home more than they value authenticity. There's a lot of truly authentic crap out there. If it's a former crack-house and those hardwood floors are stained with piss and blood from people who died in there, I wouldn't care if it's Brazilian rosewood, I'd fully understand someone wanting to rip that floor out of there and replace it with Pergo. Doesn't matter how much sanding and refinishing you do, some people might not want their infant child learning to crawl on the same surface that junkies poo poo on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My partner showed me that the same couple bought a fixer upper cottage, and the writing is INSUFFERABLE.

http://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000

quote:

Not to mention that we couldn’t afford it. We had a giant mortgage from gutting and renovating our city home,

They impulse bought a $59k cottage after spending over a million on their "city home", and they have the audacity to complain about being strapped for cash.

My ire is boundless right now.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Phanatic posted:

Why is that a need? Lots of things about old homes suck. The people who are living in a space get to make that space one they feel comfortable in, they shouldn't be beholden to a bunch of dead people.

I think the worst part is that they already made the mistake and learned nothing from it:

What a perfect reason to buy impulsively a second time.

How dumb are these people?

(Gets to the part where they hand $3000 in cash to a crack-addicted squatter.)

Oh, that dumb. Poor old Julian, thought of remodeling and died.

This is loving hilarious. How did these people ever accrue enough money to purchase a house in the first place? I'd have thought all their money should be in the hands of a Nigerian prince.

Yeah, I can't figure out why these clueless idiots get $$, and I have almost none.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

COOL CORN posted:

My partner showed me that the same couple bought a fixer upper cottage, and the writing is INSUFFERABLE.

http://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000

They impulse bought a $59k cottage after spending over a million on their "city house", and they have the audacity to complain about being strapped for cash.

Oh Jesus gently caress. These shits have no idea what hardship is, not that I'm exactly poor or anything. I bet these fuckers have never worked fast food or retail, even. Or, you know, *worked*.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

click for big, in Egypt somewhere.

edit : also, EVIL PLUMBER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuIxl8LcrSg

Lime Tonics fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 1, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I can't figure out why these clueless idiots get $$, and I have almost none.

They have money because they got money from previous generations. It turns out that the greatest predictor of success (where "success" is defined as "being rich") is having rich relatives. It easily beats out being smart, hardworking, white, or even lucky. In related news, the American Dream is a sham.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Slight foundation issues in Alexandria, Egypt.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Phanatic posted:

Value is subjective. Lots of people value a safe and comfortable home more than they value authenticity.

You don't sound like you know much or at the very least confuse a lot of different things. But I guess anyone with a Hitler avatar is more than a little confused. I guess next time you buy something at the store you could try that "value is subjective" line and maybe it will work for you. :shrugs:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ Shut the gently caress up dude, if I wanna set fire to an ancient victorian house and build something from the age of building codes because having a labyrinth of a floor plan annoys me or whatever, I'm going to. Because I don't value your nostalgia. Because there's no value in "original floorboards" to me. Because the value is subjective.

kid sinister posted:

Slight foundation issues in Alexandria, Egypt.

Just the neighbors coming over for a visit.

All of them. At once.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 1, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Just the neighbors coming over dropping by for a visit.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Those apartments were not ment to be apart.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I guess now they are togetherments.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Neutrino posted:

I guess next time you buy something at the store you could try that "value is subjective" line and maybe it will work for you. :shrugs:

The concepts that price is a floating number dependent on supply and demand and that demand itself floats based on perceived value is fundamental to economics, dude

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Someone started a gofundme campaign for those Brave Crackhouse purchasers

https://www.gofundme.com/help-this-brave-gentrifier-family

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Edit: :argh:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Armacham posted:

Someone started a gofundme campaign for those Brave Crackhouse purchasers

Jesus gently caress people are giving them money. I hope they all get shat on by junkies.

Ed: ah, no, OK, should've read further:

quote:

However, if this campaign fails to meet it's $730,000 goal, I will donate whatever pittance we raised to Parkdale Community Legal Services, The Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario, The Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations, and ACORN Canada.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
That gofundme is my favorite thing on the internet ever.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

They impulse bought a $59k cottage after spending over a million on their "city home", and they have the audacity to complain about being strapped for cash.

Do you think they paid off that extra 100,000 they owed the godfather by now, or does the bank not know about that? The way these people just jump into debt on a whim terrifies me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there wolf posted:

Do you think they paid off that extra 100,000 they owed the godfather by now, or does the bank not know about that? The way these people just jump into debt on a whim terrifies me.

They have well north of a million dollars in equity in their various properties and maybe more like two million. Borrowing 100k on a whim is normal for people like that. Because regardless of how the lady characterized their deep and serious distress at their horrible financial predicaments, they're in no serious danger of actually losing their economic status at any point of their story, and even more so now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Neutrino posted:

You don't sound like you know much or at the very least confuse a lot of different things. But I guess anyone with a Hitler avatar is more than a little confused. I guess next time you buy something at the store you could try that "value is subjective" line and maybe it will work for you. :shrugs:

I hope your uninsulated house with crown-glass windows burns down because it still has knob-and-tube splices because historic authenticity is intrinsically valuable unlike every other thing in the world.

Baronjutter posted:

This is canadian economy right now:
-You have no money, you can't even afford a down payment and jobs don't pay enough to buy anything so you NEED to buy a house to "build equity"
-Cool, the government lets me get an insanely large mortgage without a down payment, the banks love it too since it offloads the risk onto the government! This is good policy because it lets people buy houses.
-Woah, houses keep going up in value like 10% or more every year, it's free money! No amount of housing debt is bad because prices always go up so in the end you'll always win.
-Cool the government gives me grants and rebates to renovate my house, I'm adding even more value!!! My equity levels are off the loving charts.
-Rad, I have almost no income and am 2 million in the hole and have 3 lines of credit and a bunch of other dubious debts and maxed out credit cards but my properties gained +250k in paper gains just this year so I'm actually way ahead.
-Holy gently caress a 2br house is over a million dollars in my town now, the government needs to do something about this!! But don't do anything that would lower the prices, just give us access to more debt.
-This is sustainable and good and will go on forever so no amount of debt is bad because you're guaranteed to make huge gains forever and the government has my back.

Welcome to the American economy circa 2006.

And...well, pretty much the same thing now. It's a hell of a toboggan ride.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 1, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is canadian economy right now:
-You have no money, you can't even afford a down payment and jobs don't pay enough to buy anything so you NEED to buy a house to "build equity"
-Cool, the government lets me get an insanely large mortgage without a down payment, the banks love it too since it offloads the risk onto the government! This is good policy because it lets people buy houses.
-Woah, houses keep going up in value like 10% or more every year, it's free money! No amount of housing debt is bad because prices always go up so in the end you'll always win.
-Cool the government gives me grants and rebates to renovate my house, I'm adding even more value!!! My equity levels are off the loving charts.
-Rad, I have almost no income and am 2 million in the hole and have 3 lines of credit and a bunch of other dubious debts and maxed out credit cards but my properties gained +250k in paper gains just this year so I'm actually way ahead.
-Holy gently caress a 2br house is over a million dollars in my town now, the government needs to do something about this!! But don't do anything that would lower the prices, just give us access to more debt.
-Even with insane amounts of debt I still don't have enough to keep this going, but my parents can give me all their retirement savings and reverse mortgage their house, but this is good because guaranteed 20% gains per year!
-This is sustainable and good and will go on forever so no amount of debt is bad because you're guaranteed to make huge gains forever and the government has my back and guarantee 30% gains on my home value each year.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 1, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You forgot
-Canadian mortgages are all ARMs, they don't have true fixed-rate loans

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

They have well north of a million dollars in equity in their various properties and maybe more like two million. Borrowing 100k on a whim is normal for people like that. Because regardless of how the lady characterized their deep and serious distress at their horrible financial predicaments, they're in no serious danger of actually losing their economic status at any point of their story, and even more so now.

That just tells me a housing crash would eat them alive.

drat, I think coming into adulthood and inheritance in the late aughts had more of a impact on me than I thought...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Runcible Cat posted:

Ed: ah, no, OK, should've read further:

Anything less than three quarters of a million dollars is a pittance, you heard it here first.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Anything less than three quarters of a million dollars is a pittance, you heard it here first.

I don't think the campaign writer is being serious in most of that post.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

You forgot

Oh sweet lord, everyone's boned.

Here's a horror story I guess I forgot to post, from a couple of friends of mine.

Step 1: Go away overnight in December and have a pipe burst on your upper floor, damaging your two upstairs bathrooms and most of your downstairs and basement.
Step 2: Bring in an emergency crew the night you get back to set up fans and start remediation.
Step 3: Enjoy the remediation crew discovering that the tiles underneath the water-soaked carpet are asbestos.
Step 4: And that there is also asbestos in the poopcorn ceiling in the kids' room, which had collapsed due to the water damage.
Step 5: And the drywall joint compound? Does that have much asbestos in it? Yes it does.
Step 6: Setting up the fans before figuring all that out turned out to be a bad idea because now your entire house, with the exception of the garage, is contaminated.
Step 7: Move into a Marriott Residence in for 7 weeks before moving into a mobile harm in your yard in January.
Step 8: Remediation plan includes stripping everything down to the studs, and tearing out all cabinetry. Anything fabric or fibrous needs to be destroyed. Mattresses, books, furniture, clothing, toys, all gone. Probably all the electronics too.
Step 9: The remediation plan also needs to be approved by the state.
Step 10: At least someone else gets to take down the Christmas tree.
Step 11: Live in the mobile home with your two young boys for about 3-4 months. Then live there some more, because that's just how long it takes to complete the remediation and you still don't have an inhabitable house.

Fortunately it's all covered by insurance. Because man, if you're going to file a homeowner's claim, go big or go home. None of this "A tree fell on the roof of my detached garage," poo poo, this is "I need a whole new house."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

You forgot

I was speaking with some NZ friends and they boggled that fixed-rate loans were a thing. They're just flat-out not available in NZ, apparently, even though people make similar down payments there as they do here.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
That's loving insanity. I can't imagine not having a fixed rate mortgage. 'Pfft, it's only 30 years, how much could things change in that time??'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Most of the world doesn't have fixed rate mortgages, I think that the US is the real oddball in that regard.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

Most of the world doesn't have fixed rate mortgages, I think that the US is the real oddball in that regard.

Thank goodness for that oddity, then. My parents' mortgage was something like 12%. Jumping up to that would add, like, $780,000 to the cost of my mortgage over thirty years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is the UK another odd one out, in that you can choose fixed or variable rate, and choose the length to fix to, and it jumps to an untenable rate after the fixed period, but everyone refinances at that point?

To illustrate: I got a 2 year fixed rate mortgage a year ago at 2.19%. In another year it'll leap to 3.49% variable (trending based on lending base rate) but it's well understood that I'll "switch" my mortgage to another deal with them or another bank at that point, and every 2 years or so thereafter until it's all paid off.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Arachnamus posted:

Is the UK another odd one out, in that you can choose fixed or variable rate, and choose the length to fix to, and it jumps to an untenable rate after the fixed period, but everyone refinances at that point?

To illustrate: I got a 2 year fixed rate mortgage a year ago at 2.19%. In another year it'll leap to 3.49% variable (trending based on lending base rate) but it's well understood that I'll "switch" my mortgage to another deal with them or another bank at that point, and every 2 years or so thereafter until it's all paid off.

3/ARM and 5/ARM are common in the US. (3 year fixed, after that adjustable rate)

Mortgage hopping stops working when interest rates start climbing.

e: In the US, there's usually a few thousand dollars worth of closing costs as well, so jumping often adds up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phanatic posted:

Oh sweet lord, everyone's boned.

Here's a horror story I guess I forgot to post, from a couple of friends of mine.

Step 1: Go away overnight in December and have a pipe burst on your upper floor, damaging your two upstairs bathrooms and most of your downstairs and basement.
Step 2: Bring in an emergency crew the night you get back to set up fans and start remediation.
Step 3: Enjoy the remediation crew discovering that the tiles underneath the water-soaked carpet are asbestos.
Step 4: And that there is also asbestos in the poopcorn ceiling in the kids' room, which had collapsed due to the water damage.
Step 5: And the drywall joint compound? Does that have much asbestos in it? Yes it does.
Step 6: Setting up the fans before figuring all that out turned out to be a bad idea because now your entire house, with the exception of the garage, is contaminated.
Step 7: Move into a Marriott Residence in for 7 weeks before moving into a mobile harm in your yard in January.
Step 8: Remediation plan includes stripping everything down to the studs, and tearing out all cabinetry. Anything fabric or fibrous needs to be destroyed. Mattresses, books, furniture, clothing, toys, all gone. Probably all the electronics too.
Step 9: The remediation plan also needs to be approved by the state.
Step 10: At least someone else gets to take down the Christmas tree.
Step 11: Live in the mobile home with your two young boys for about 3-4 months. Then live there some more, because that's just how long it takes to complete the remediation and you still don't have an inhabitable house.

Fortunately it's all covered by insurance. Because man, if you're going to file a homeowner's claim, go big or go home. None of this "A tree fell on the roof of my detached garage," poo poo, this is "I need a whole new house."

~but the value of authenticity~

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

wolrah posted:

Simple solution: Don't try to apply logic to horse people. They're all insane.

You'd have to be to recreationally own a creature literally the size of a dinosaur whose housing and feeding costs more than rent and food for an average teenager. And if they get sick, you end up having someone haul them two miles down the road to the nearest large animal hospital, because even your decent sized city doesn't offer that kind of service locally.

I loving hate horse people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

it's well understood that I'll "switch" my mortgage to another deal with them or another bank at that point, and every 2 years or so thereafter until it's all paid off.

This is precisely the thing that caused the US mortgage crisis. It's hard to refinance your mortgage when A) rates have gone up so the refinanced rate is still more than you can pay, and/or B) the value of your house has fallen, so you no longer have enough collateral to get a same-sized loan. Throw in C) you're unemployed so you no longer qualify for any loan at all, and you have a recipe for the collapse of an entire modern industrial country's economy for five to ten years.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
This looks pretty nice.... agh what the gently caress?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Such an astounding percentage of canada GDP is tied up into housing now, far more than the US ever had, it's pretty much our main industry right now. Canada has hinted it was going to raise rates for years but never does because no one wants to be the government in power that "caused" the bubble to pop, so instead every year there's a new silent bailout, a new tax break, a new "first time" home buyer grant and so on, anything to keep kicking the bubble down the road. It's been going on so long that people treat it as the new normal. "They said the bubble was going to pop 5 years and yet the house market is hotter than ever! new normal!"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hmm so my RCD is still tripping at random intervals - once last night at who knows what time, once when I got home but before I'd actually turned anything on, then fine for ages with a load of stuff switched on (washing machine, tv, lights, oven) but then tripped when a single table lamp was switched on on the kitchen circuit...but then fine once reset and the same lamp was switched.

Would a random trip out be caused by having a circuit linked to an earth on the RCD but a neutral that isn't? I'm wondering if when the electrician rewired for the lights that will go into the new ceiling (replacing the old wires which were a mess) he linked them to an earth on a different circuit that is tied to the RCD. I know that the lights in there were not on the RCD before because a couple of the other lighting circuits aren't either and if they're on a neutral that's not on the RCD but their earth now is it could cause an imbalance whenever anything else on the RCD switches.

Does that make any sense? Everything on RCD trips says "it's a faulty appliance or socket, turn them off one by one" which is why we figured it was the plasterer's radio, but there's no pattern at all with this so far. I really don't want them to have to pull down an entire brand new plastered ceiling to re-do the wires :-(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

~but the value of authenticity~
Yeah, I'm super offended they removed all that historic asbestos. Probably gonna replace it with some soulless fiberglass or spray foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

This looks pretty nice.... agh what the gently caress?

Converted to single family from a duplex?