Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dang, linked the wrong image. This is the right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Calamity War-era Barbatos looks like it could pass for a Gundam Exia stunt double.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was hoping it'd be a weird color

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, actual abdomen protection.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kimaris more like hideous :barf: Looks way better in its Vidar disguise.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

That Barbatos is just an old rejected design, I hope they're not trying to sell it as a calamity war era version because the thing has a completely different frame with three ahab reactors, two of them in the calves for some reason :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Xy Hapu posted:

That Barbatos is just an old rejected design, I hope they're not trying to sell it as a calamity war era version because the thing has a completely different frame with three ahab reactors, two of them in the calves for some reason :v:

Just because the mobile suit designers skipped leg day does not mean the Gundam they're building should do the same.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xy Hapu posted:

Well at least they didn't put the power source for their mobile suit somewhere dumb like the elbows. I mean who would do that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Thunderbolt 7 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0c5wtqDF0

The consecutive scenes in the Zeon and Federation hangars were really effective.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even when being badass, AcGuys never stop being adorable. Especially the one that had a tinier head on top of its normal head.
That being said, I'm still not feeling this season as much as the first one. That one had a razor sharp focus, while this season feels all over the place with difficulty trying to pin down locations or the passage of time.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Wait, is the core unit for the Atlas an RB-79K Ball???

My favorite armed tangerine is all grown up :3:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I think it rather shrunk to an alarming degree, but that makes it even more :3: so your point stands

I'm glad their ball miniaturization technology has improved though, their previous efforts were truly abominable:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If they wanted to miniaturize balls, they coulda just gone to Lake Erie in December and stood outside for an hour.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

3 posted:

Wait, is the core unit for the Atlas an RB-79K Ball???

My favorite armed tangerine is all grown up :3:

Ahahahahaha

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even when being badass, AcGuys never stop being adorable. Especially the one that had a tinier head on top of its normal head.
That being said, I'm still not feeling this season as much as the first one. That one had a razor sharp focus, while this season feels all over the place with difficulty trying to pin down locations or the passage of time.

I'm enjoying this season a lot, but yeah it doesn't seem to have much point. Like, it's just stuff the characters did after the war to fill in the gap between season 1 and some hypothetical season 3.

But it has the Acguy Sentai Team, so AotY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm enjoying this season a lot, but yeah it doesn't seem to have much point. Like, it's just stuff the characters did after the war to fill in the gap between season 1 and some hypothetical season 3.

But it has the Acguy Sentai Team, so AotY

I think that the main thing is that we've moved from the prologue (the Thunderbolt Sector clusterfuck) to the main storyline, so much of this is introduction and setup before we spiral towards the (presumably apocalyptic) climax in Season 3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it feels like they're still setting stuff up right now

also I think I give up on g-reco. it can be kinda charming but I don't like it a lot of the time

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Xy Hapu posted:

I think it rather shrunk to an alarming degree, but that makes it even more :3: so your point stands

I'm glad their ball miniaturization technology has improved though, their previous efforts were truly abominable:

I don't know what you're talking about. That thing is a majestic and beautiful creature.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

If they wanted to miniaturize balls, they coulda just gone to Lake Erie in December and stood outside for an hour.

But the Gundam Manga set in Canada was in Quebec. What was it called? École-du-Ciel? One of the few Gundam related series that featured a woman as a lead protagonist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But the Gundam Manga set in Canada was in Quebec. What was it called? École-du-Ciel? One of the few Gundam related series that featured a woman as a lead protagonist.

Yep, in Montreal IIRC (my town, woo!). I always found it hilarious that they loved sea urchin ice cream, which is not remotely a thing here. Guess things changed in the UC!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yep, in Montreal IIRC (my town, woo!). I always found it hilarious that they loved sea urchin ice cream, which is not remotely a thing here. Guess things changed in the UC!

Wouldn't put it past sea urchins being an invasive species in the Ottawa and St Lawrence rivers by the UC. Lake Erie is probably a toxic waste dump by that time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think Japanese people pay about as much attention to Canadian culture as Canadian people pay attention to Japanese culture.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think Japanese people pay about as much attention to Canadian culture as Canadian people pay attention to Japanese culture.

Impossible, we have way more anime fans than they have fans of anything remotely canadian.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Impossible, we have way more anime fans than they have fans of anything remotely canadian.

I thought Japan loved Celine Dion?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

I thought Japan loved Celine Dion?

And Avril Lavigne apparently. Japan is about the only place she seems popular these days.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

MonsieurChoc posted:

Everyso often Canada pops up in an anime and I'm always confused and vaguely amused by it.

Amuro is canonically Canadian though so I guess it evens out a little.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Everyso often Canada pops up in an anime and I'm always confused and vaguely amused by it.

Amuro is canonically Canadian though so I guess it evens out a little.

He's only described as Canadian in one of the PS2 games that was dubbed by the Vancouver based ocean group. Regardless of if he's Canadian or American, he's from the west coast, somewhere between southern BC and Oregon due to his home's proximity to California Base. Because California Base is like the Atlantic Wall but bigger and more Zeon infested.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Canada's only animes: Amuro Ray and Ryoko Asakura

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

there's an anime about a cafe with a bear who serves tea, and the bear is explicitly said to be a canadian bear

isnt amuro mexican now. or half mexican half japanese

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The japanese enjoying avril lavigne makes all that white backlash about her Jpop rip off music video extra uncomfortable.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

there's an anime about a cafe with a bear who serves tea, and the bear is explicitly said to be a canadian bear

I don't care what that cheeky fucker Yas says he's not taking this from us

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's only described as Canadian in one of the PS2 games that was dubbed by the Vancouver based ocean group. Regardless of if he's Canadian or American, he's from the west coast, somewhere between southern BC and Oregon due to his home's proximity to California Base. Because California Base is like the Atlantic Wall but bigger and more Zeon infested.

Prince Rupert BC.

GulagDolls posted:

Only in The Origin IIRC, which is non-canon to the non-Origin UC series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's more Japanese in Canada than Mexico, and Amuro's house is nowhere near Baja

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

The japanese enjoying avril lavigne makes all that white backlash about her Jpop rip off music video extra uncomfortable.

I seem to recall that it was Asian-American backlash. Japanese-Americans and people actually living in Japan have quite different histories that can mean they react quite differently to stuff like that - see also, a bunch of Japanese-American folks going 'oh god no' at the recent Ghost in the Shell movie while it made mad bank and received significant critical praise in Japan.

Internment camps, race riots, and ubiquitous yellowface within living memory will do poo poo to your cultural perspective.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Prince Rupert BC.

Only in The Origin IIRC, which is non-canon to the non-Origin UC series.

its canon now, due to being the best

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raquna from Etrian Untold comes from the magical kingdom of Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leGLABITWR8

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Canada's only animes: Amuro Ray and Ryoko Asakura

How dare you forget about Gundam Fight participant Andrew Graham?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

How dare you forget about Gundam Fight participant Andrew Graham?

He's from NEO-Canada.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

I seem to recall that it was Asian-American backlash. Japanese-Americans and people actually living in Japan have quite different histories that can mean they react quite differently to stuff like that - see also, a bunch of Japanese-American folks going 'oh god no' at the recent Ghost in the Shell movie while it made mad bank and received significant critical praise in Japan.

Internment camps, race riots, and ubiquitous yellowface within living memory will do poo poo to your cultural perspective.

I recall seeing an awful lot of white liberals making a stink and not a lot of asian americans giving two shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DamnGlitch posted:

I recall seeing an awful lot of white liberals making a stink and not a lot of asian americans giving two shits.

Hmm yeah I'm gonna say you're loving blind then buddy