Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

• It's an Ideas set, so there's always a fear that it will go out of stock and never show up again.

Do people still think this? Ideas sets run for about a year. I remember they pulled all the Wall E sets for a while and made new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

[*]It's an Ideas set that isn't yet another nostalgia cash-in

...he says about a model about the glory days of the space program.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Forgive the anecdote but I'm not a regular Lego customer at all - I've only bought one other set for myself as an adult - but the Saturn V was compelling enough to get me standing in line in the mall this morning.

The size and the modularity make it a good display piece and the price is low enough that I won't second-guess spending money on it. Plus space poo poo is loving cool.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
We got to the Mall of America Lego store at 10:10, they were already sold out, said they had a line starting at 7am!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Mine has said "In Warehouse" all day. Hmm..

Mine has said "in warehouse" since the 31st, double hmmm...

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Waltzing Along posted:

Mine has said "In Warehouse" all day. Hmm..

Me too, I emailed customer service.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The order I managed to get through online last night claims to be shipping. But it will take 7-8 days because wtf FedEx.

Will be a fun Father's Day build with my 7 year old and extra fun trying to keep my toddler who just tries to eat small things at bay.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Mine has said "in warehouse" since the 31st, double hmmm...

Mine says it left Fedex's Romeoville, IL facility about 3 hours ago.

Called around at about 11am this morning. Tukwila had two left, and he expected they'd last about 10 minutes. Belleveue was sold out. None of the 3 Barnes & Nobles had any clue about them, and despite having new shipments, no Saturn V among them. Guess I'll just have to suffer until it gets here Wednesday.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pyroclastic posted:

Mine says it left Fedex's Romeoville, IL facility about 3 hours ago.

Called around at about 11am this morning. Tukwila had two left, and he expected they'd last about 10 minutes. Belleveue was sold out. None of the 3 Barnes & Nobles had any clue about them, and despite having new shipments, no Saturn V among them. Guess I'll just have to suffer until it gets here Wednesday.

IIRC, you got your order through just a few minutes before mine.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lego customer service email said they usually ship tuesdays and thursdays and that mine is on its way despite what the website says.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vader transformation is almost literally the same set as the carbon freezing chamber. It's kind of neat and the helmet play feature is super clever but I feel like both of those sets pretty much exist to find a way to charge $25 for 3 minifigures.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My GF said she'd give the Saturn to me as a birthday present if I wanted it. I am not a space nerd per se and lego collection is small but we proudly display Tower Bridge on the living room wall as well as Big Ben on the other side of the room. We like them because we both have thing for London and they are cool display pieces and so is the rocket. It is a part of history, it took the first humans to the moon. This makes displaying the rocket the slightly nerdy but a) way cheaper and b) imho cooler alternative to hanging a Picasso from the wall.
Without exception everybody who ever came to see us went "woah what a cool model" at the TB and BB and I expect the rocket will do the same. Just a piece that is cooler than your dad's bronze figure of an Indonesian monk or whatever.

tl;dr: rocket is a cool display piece for anyone

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Huh it only took me about 3.5 hours to build. Fun though.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Can't even back-order it online now. Hope Lego is upping production significantly!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Scipiotik posted:

Can't even back-order it online now. Hope Lego is upping production significantly!

It's still available for backorder in EU lego online stores, although the estimated shipping date keeps slipping and is now at 5 July. I back ordered it on the 31st of May and it's now showing "In Warehouse", so I'm pretty sure there's more coming no matter what the US site says.

I know it was always a decently popular set, but did anybody actually think it would be quite this popular?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
When I ordered mine it said it would ship the 7th.
Got an email an hour ago, saying they just shipped it. :toot:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Mine also says it shipped from Romoville IL but its just a created shipping label and hadn't moved anywhere. Funny thing is it still says I will have it by the end of today.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

xzzy posted:

Spotted on reddit:

:v:

I wonder what percentage of day 1 sales go to resellers.

Wow, what a shitlord. I hope Lego restocks super fast and resellers like this end up with a stack of unsellable stock

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it's fine to do that when things are on clearance and they're expunging stock at the end of a set's life cycle, but doing that on day 1 is the worst. Reminds me of the dude who filled an entire room floor to ceiling with Transformers Masterpiece Soundwaves, which were 2 per store iirc.

Also reminds me of the dude who would openly brag about doing this sort of thing and people found his address and robbed him. :unsmigghh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Also reminds me of the dude who would openly brag about doing this sort of thing and people found his address and robbed him. :unsmigghh:

Stealing is wrong but also :laffo:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it's fine to do that when things are on clearance and they're expunging stock at the end of a set's life cycle, but doing that on day 1 is the worst.

Oh sure, that's fine to me too, everyone who was looking forward to getting one has already got one, and the people buying them later will be those who weren't collecting at the time. When something is already scarce it's pretty lovely to make it MORE scarce then double the price.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fatkraken posted:

Wow, what a shitlord. I hope Lego restocks super fast and resellers like this end up with a stack of unsellable stock

They have nothing to lose. Whatever they don't sell after 29 days, they take back to the store. What I want to know is, how do they get so many in the first place? Like how does a store let you carry out 30 of them on day one.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cojawfee posted:

They have nothing to lose. Whatever they don't sell after 29 days, they take back to the store. What I want to know is, how do they get so many in the first place? Like how does a store let you carry out 30 of them on day one.

I'm guessing some sort of co-ordinated effort of a bunch of buddies who share in the profits?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cojawfee posted:

Family members, neighbors, and friends who are willing to buy one for them. They often bribe them with an extra ten bucks or something to do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They don't come from a single buy, they either have a route to visit several stores in a rapid loop, or have helpers/kids/slaves to ring up several separate purchases.

Probably some shenanigans with employees at retail stores buying their own inventory too.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
They've got about 6-8 Saturn V sets on the shelf at Lego store Downtown Disney Anaheim.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I ordered one! Backordered until somewhere in July. Don't really care, I have a backlog of sets myself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Keeping my Saturn in the box until I have some good ME time but have started on the Ultimate Batmobile for my kid...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Feenix posted:

Keeping my Saturn in the box until I have some good ME time but have started on the Ultimate Batmobile for my kid...

I still have the Assembly Square and the Slave I.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I just finished putting together the big sandcrawler set.

Fun set, for the most part. Clicking together 38x8 track links for the tracks was kind of anti-fun though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Does Australia finally have a online shop warehouse now or something? (for context, we still don't have an Amazon warehouse) My order started in the country according to tracking information. This is an excellent development.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am finally employed again and I'll earn about 15% more than before to boot, so I wanted to treat myself.
As mentioned before when I was in elementary school I loved 1: LEGO and 2: Space exploration so I just ordered a Saturn V, really excited to get it. Even if its kinda pricy at €129.99 irregardless of my country sharing a border with Denmark. :v:

Its weird, after ~14 years I bought Lego again and I'm so happy about it. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Fwiw, I ordered the SV yesterday morning, while it was on backorder status. It's already shipped and will be here Tuesday.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress?! I ordered it when it said available, at 12:40AM, and chat says it's backordered until the 17th. This is some bullshit. Must be alphabetical or some poo poo.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
mine updated to in Warehouse after being backordered. woo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zedd posted:

I am finally employed again and I'll earn about 15% more than before to boot, so I wanted to treat myself.
As mentioned before when I was in elementary school I loved 1: LEGO and 2: Space exploration so I just ordered a Saturn V, really excited to get it. Even if its kinda pricy at €129.99 irregardless of my country sharing a border with Denmark. :v:

At the risk of sounding like a dealer trying to get another target hooked, you should check out some of the stuff Lego's put out recently if you're interested in awesome Lego stuff again. Especially if it's Space stuff, they released an amazing spaceship similar to the Classic Space sets from the 80's alongside the Lego Movie:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tuesday? Mine is now due Thursday. WTF Lego!

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Zedd posted:

Same boat I was all about Legos as a kid and mentioned how I couldn't wait until my daughter was old enough to have a crate of them to my fiancé, so she went to target and surprised me with the AT-ST and Y-Wing set. 20 years since I had that feeling of excitement and it all came flooding back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Still haven't built my VW Beetle, and I'll get Assembly Square soonish, and then the Fishing Store... I'm just glad I haven't been swept up in Saturn V fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Scipiotik posted:

mine updated to in Warehouse after being backordered. woo

My lego shop one says that, too.

I still haven't decided what to do with it, since my Amazon one arrives today.

E: the Amazon order showed up today, just as the Lego store one shipped.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 3, 2017