Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that probably wasn't a good recommendation now that I think about it.

Other alternate history stories to avoid: Stars and Stripes Forever by Harry Harrison; Domination by S.M. Stirling; any Robert Conroy novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I haven't read it yet but I've heard good stuff about The Years of Salt and Rice by Kim Stanley Robinson.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i was not seriously suggesting he read the book about time-traveling afrikaners, to be clear

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Do not read S M Stirling anything ever ever ever.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, that probably wasn't a good recommendation now that I think about it.

Other alternate history stories to avoid: Stars and Stripes Forever by Harry Harrison; Domination by S.M. Stirling; any Robert Conroy novels.

Do you know of any books that are historians writing "what ifs" about various events?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Your Taint posted:

Do you know of any books that are historians writing "what ifs" about various events?

I feel like writing what ifs are explicitly contrarian to the purpose of a historian

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Your Taint posted:

Harry Turtledove :v:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Your Taint posted:

/r/historicalwhatif , sort by best. You have to be a flair'd / verified historian to answer iirc. Some interesting threads.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like writing what ifs are explicitly contrarian to the purpose of a historian

Most histories are what ifs because it's actually kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what happened in the past and you have to make educated guesses most of the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Your Taint posted:

I believe Winston Churchill wrote a couple.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Your Taint posted:

Mentioned this on previous page but here it is again:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virtual-History-Counterfactuals-Niall-Ferguson/dp/0241952255

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe Winston Churchill wrote a couple.

He wrote only one, to my knowledge, imagining how history would have turned out if the South had won the American Civil War:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_It_Had_Happened_Otherwise

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Have any of you ever started a book club? I've had some interest at work and have been thinking of starting one, but I have some questions:

1. Is a lunch break of one hour enough time to hold a meeting?

2. How many people is enough or too many? I was hoping to have fewer people to get more time for each person, so maybe 4-6?

3. How do you pick books? Do you automatically toss/prefer certain genres? How do you reconcile different tastes between members?

4. Monthly meetings? How much of the book should be read in the month? Some? All?

Thanks for the input!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

Have any of you ever started a book club? I've had some interest at work and have been thinking of starting one, but I have some questions:

1. Is a lunch break of one hour enough time to hold a meeting?

2. How many people is enough or too many? I was hoping to have fewer people to get more time for each person, so maybe 4-6?

3. How do you pick books? Do you automatically toss/prefer certain genres? How do you reconcile different tastes between members?

4. Monthly meetings? How much of the book should be read in the month? Some? All?

Thanks for the input!

1. It can be. Our meetings usually last for 1.5 - 2 hours average, but have gone on longer.

2. I'd say at least 4 members. Our group started with 9, but now the average is about 5-6 a meeting, but we've had as few as 3 and it was fine (we've had meetings with 11 people and it was fine). We don't do a round-robin type thing, whoever suggested the book kinda takes the reigns to get people to talk, and everyone just kind of respectfully discusses it as it goes on. Anyone is free to throw out a thought, or an idea, or argue a point. We've gotten some really good discussion just from a bad book no one enjoyed.

3. It has to be a book that we feel has enough merit to actually discuss. We tend to lean towards more literary fiction, but genre's aren't off-limits. Whatever the book "is", we don't repeat. If we read a collection of poetry, next month can not be a collection of poetry, unless it's a completely different type of poetry. Everyone who finishes the book is allowed to bring in one suggestion for what the next book is, and if we can't decide through discussion, we draw it from a hat. (For example, this month we're reading a Raymond Carver short story collection, last month we did the graphic novel memoir(s) Fun Home (Bechdel) and My Friend Dahmer, before that we did The Dinner, but we've also done horror, non-fiction, etc.) Sometimes people have a few ideas ready just in case multiple people say "I'm in the mood to read ____ instead of ____". We typically save horror-related stuff for October, though. We also try to keep an emphasis on authors. If we've read too many American straight white guys in a row, we'll switch it up to a female author of color, or a LGBQT author, etc. It doesn't come up often since we're a pretty diverse group.

4. Once a month is about as good as it gets. Read the whole book before the meeting. If it's especially long, split it into two meetings with an agreed-upon stopping point. We read A Prayer For Owen Meany, which took two meetings (close to 800 pages). We did Parts 1-6 for one meeting and then Parts 7-9, because it was evenly divided. Nothing wrong with starting off with shorter books to ensure people read it and have enough time to come up with thoughts, notes, ideas, criticisms. We usually agree to meet the last Thursday of the month, as long as it works for everyone.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Book clubs where everyone has to read the same book like its a homework assignment are really stupid and annoying.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A human heart posted:

Book clubs where everyone has to read the same book like its a homework assignment are really stupid and annoying.

What're the alternatives?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You just talk about the books you've read recently maybe with adherence to a loose theme.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
have everyone in the circle list what books theyve read recently and then mock them to their faces for their bad taste

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

have everyone in the circle list what books theyve read recently and then mock them to their faces for their bad taste

This is what I do and I'm the most popular member of my book club.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

areyoucontagious posted:

Thanks for the input!

Judge by your audience and participants is probably the important thing.

For the BotM here, I try to pick things that will push people's envelopes a bit but also be reasonably accessible.

Also, ask your participants what they want to read. The main reason I do the poll is because I find it increases participation dramatically, sometimes because I had no idea everyone wanted to read a given book, sometimes because the act of voting encourages people to commit to actually reading, sometimes just the added visibility of the competitive poll gets more eyeballs.

The reason we pick one book every month is because sometimes it's nice to talk about a book together and there are only really two ways to do that:

1) find an ongoing discussion of that book and jump in (works best with genre fiction; this is why we have the big rear end threads), or

2) everybody decides together to read the same book and then talk about it (this is why we do the BotM.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's the opinion here of Mo Hayder? She wrote The Treatment which I just watched the Belgian film of the same name of. She also wrote Birdman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

"Hermione and her two useless friends" pretty much sums up the series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Judge by your audience and participants is probably the important thing.

For the BotM here, I try to pick things that will push people's envelopes a bit but also be reasonably accessible.

Also, ask your participants what they want to read. The main reason I do the poll is because I find it increases participation dramatically, sometimes because I had no idea everyone wanted to read a given book, sometimes because the act of voting encourages people to commit to actually reading, sometimes just the added visibility of the competitive poll gets more eyeballs.

The reason we pick one book every month is because sometimes it's nice to talk about a book together and there are only really two ways to do that:

1) find an ongoing discussion of that book and jump in (works best with genre fiction; this is why we have the big rear end threads), or

2) everybody decides together to read the same book and then talk about it (this is why we do the BotM.

speaking of, any suggestions for next month?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

paradise lost because it sounds like a rad classic that I haven't read yet and is easy to get a copy of.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the nibelungenlied

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

A play

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

When the main character of a book is an author, and they're writing a book, and there are big excerpts from the fake book, make one of those the book of the month.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When the main character of a book is an author, and they're writing a book, and there are big excerpts from the fake book, make one of those the book of the month.

They've already done Master & Margarita at least

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Never any end to Paris is just like that and good and should be a botm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
La familia de pascual duarte

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I meant only the fake book itself: i.e read only the excerpts from the fake book and not the novel around it. And review and discuss it like it's real.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

can't wait to do a botm on the navidson record

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Edit - Wrong thread.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 3, 2017

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Don Quixote by Pierre Menard for BOTM

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CestMoi posted:

Don Quixote by Pierre Menard for BOTM

Done.

I actually thought I'd done this one already but looks like I hadn't. Thanks for the suggestion.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

can't wait to do a botm on the navidson record

This guy gets it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I meant only the fake book itself: i.e read only the excerpts from the fake book and not the novel around it. And review and discuss it like it's real.

i like this idea

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Pale Fire, by Johnathan Shade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

quote:

I seldom abandon books after reading just a couple of pages, but in this case I had no choice. Two pages into the book I was so annoyed by McCarthy's random use of apostrophes and near-total lack of commas that I felt I had better stop reading to prevent an aneurysm. I'm sure McCarthy is a great storyteller, but unless someone convinces me he has found a competent proof-reader who is not afraid to add some four thousand commas to each of his books, I'll never read another line he's written. I can only tolerate so many crimes against grammar and punctuation.

Never change, Goodreads.