Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

I would like to see updates on this. When my nephews get bigger I want to build them boats like that.

This weekend's progress on the pirogue:

Glued the bottom on, then used a flush trim bit followed by a roundover bit in my router to trim the bottom flush.

Added the rub rails and trimmed the stems flush.

Filled all the screw holes with thickened epoxy resin, and sanded flush. Used the screws to hold the stems and rub rail on while gluing.

Laid fiberglass on the bottom.

Wet out the fiberglass with epoxy resin.

Trimmed the fiberglass to the bottom of the rub rails, then added another coat of epoxy resin.

Some bugs decided to try and go all Jurassic Park, but unfortunately they will not last 75 million years in resin, and will get sanded away.

Quick sand of the bottom, made sure to bring down all the trimmed fiberglass, so that I don't cut my hand.

Fiberglassed the interior seams, and painted the rest of the bare wood with epoxy resin.

Going to go buy paint tonight, do a little sanding, then paint the bottom and inside tomorrow and Friday. Hope to have it on the water this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:psyduck: This sapele is impossible to plane. It just changes grain direction right in the middle of anything.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Minorkos posted:

Yo what up, I'm gonna be using high gloss polyurethane for the first time soon and I was wondering whether I got it right, here's what I think I'm supposed to do (correct me if I'm wrong)

- sand the wood with 400grit or something, wipe it clean with a rag
- apply a thinned coat of polyurethane with a brush, wait until it's dry (don't know how long that is)
- sand the wood with 400 grit etc
- apply another thinned coat
- apply 2-3 unthinned coats while sanding in between

then i want to buff it to high gloss, so

- wait a week or so that it dries (???)
- sand the wood with 400 grit, then 600 grit, then 1000 grit
- rub rubbing compound on it, then wipe off the excess and it should be good??

Most of that sounds good, though I have never used a high gloss poly before. I was under the impression that rubbing compound needs to be rubbed in a lot for it to do anything though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Minorkos posted:

Yo what up, I'm gonna be using high gloss polyurethane for the first time soon and I was wondering whether I got it right, here's what I think I'm supposed to do (correct me if I'm wrong)

- apply a thinned coat of polyurethane with a brush, wait until it's dry (don't know how long that is)

I hope whatever project that's going on justifies all that work. Also I wouldn't buff it until the last, sanding will negate any buffing imo

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

I hope whatever project that's going on justifies all that work. Also I wouldn't buff it until the last, sanding will negate any buffing imo

Well I've only worked with lacquer so far and I don't know how many coats of polyurethane I need to apply. Is that where I'm doing too much work? I'm not comfortable with just listening to a google wiki-how guide, especially since so many of them have different methods, so I figured I'd ask how to do it here

And yes I wasn't planning to buff until the last coat

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Chisels continue to find new ways to maim me.

In classic amateur style, I was adjusting my grip and the chisel slipped and dropped out of my hand. Fortunately it didn't hit the concrete floor, but instead landed right on my foot -- slicing cleanly though my sneaker and sock and leaving a nice, clean L-shaped slice in my toe. Fortunately the edge doesn't seem nicked, though it could probably use a stropping. Thank god it was the 1/8" and not the 1" I guess?

:drac: :black101: :drac:

Roctor
Aug 23, 2005

The doctor of rock.

Minorkos posted:

Depends on the rubbing compound you're using, but you should go up to 2000 grit sand paper if you're using rottenstone.

I've only done this once, but the steps you've listed here look right to me. I used lubricated sand paper once I had all my coats of poly on the table. rubbing it out was also much more finicky for me than I think is typical because I was working with a pretty uneven surface (and therefore finish).

I only used three coats of poly, which I think is enough for most people, but I wish I had used more. I would have felt a lot less afraid of rubbing through the finish.

To get a really high gloss people do all sorts of stuff with buffers and wax and super fine grained sand paper that are used to finish car paint jobs.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

nielsm posted:

:psyduck: This sapele is impossible to plane. It just changes grain direction right in the middle of anything.

Time to bust out the card scraper.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Time to learn to set the chip breaker megasuperclose.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Turns out that the gallon of white paint I thought I had was off-white. Oh well, it'll hide the tannins from my usual river spot a bit better than plain white. Still, got two coats on tonight.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Turns out that the gallon of white paint I thought I had was off-white. Oh well, it'll hide the tannins from my usual river spot a bit better than plain white. Still, got two coats on tonight.

This thing is looking awesome!

I hope to god you name it "Death Trap".

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I am a novice woodworker. I just started recently, and I hope I can glean a lot of information from here.

Last week, a buddy of mine asked me if I could throw together an arbor by the weekend, in time for a video shoot for Penny Palabras (https://www.pennypalabras.com). Having never made one before, I told him I could absolutely get it done.

It turns out that garden arbors aren't terribly complicated. It's just the lattice that makes it seem difficult, but you can get a 2'x8' sheet of cedar lattice for about $13 at Home Depot. Cut it to length and sandwich it between a few 2x4 studs and you're good to go.

Most of the cutting was done with the miter saw and the circular saw. However, I didn't have an easy way to cut out the spots where the 2x6 horizontal pieces would go, so I did it the old fashioned way: hammer and chisel. It turned out much easier than I thought it would, and the pieces went in quite flush.

Here's a close-up shot where the 2x4s and the 2x6s come together. Without much work, it already looks pretty amazing.

To create an extra dimension to the wood, I used a router bit that I picked up for a couple of bucks at a garage sale. It's nothing fancy, but it adds quite a bit to the wood.

This is before adding a cedar-colored oil coat to the arbor. It's pretty slick how quickly this thing went up.

And here is the finished product, with cedar-colored oil, and a few extra slats on top. I sent it off to the location where it'll be used in the videos.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Coat of primer, and a coat of green on the bottom tonight. Will do another coat of green tomorrow morning.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

jovial_cynic posted:

I am a novice woodworker. I just started recently, and I hope I can glean a lot of information from here.

Last week, a buddy of mine asked me if I could throw together an arbor by the weekend, in time for a video shoot for Penny Palabras (https://www.pennypalabras.com). Having never made one before, I told him I could absolutely get it done.

It turns out that garden arbors aren't terribly complicated. It's just the lattice that makes it seem difficult, but you can get a 2'x8' sheet of cedar lattice for about $13 at Home Depot. Cut it to length and sandwich it between a few 2x4 studs and you're good to go.

Most of the cutting was done with the miter saw and the circular saw. However, I didn't have an easy way to cut out the spots where the 2x6 horizontal pieces would go, so I did it the old fashioned way: hammer and chisel. It turned out much easier than I thought it would, and the pieces went in quite flush.

Here's a close-up shot where the 2x4s and the 2x6s come together. Without much work, it already looks pretty amazing.

To create an extra dimension to the wood, I used a router bit that I picked up for a couple of bucks at a garage sale. It's nothing fancy, but it adds quite a bit to the wood.

This is before adding a cedar-colored oil coat to the arbor. It's pretty slick how quickly this thing went up.

And here is the finished product, with cedar-colored oil, and a few extra slats on top. I sent it off to the location where it'll be used in the videos.

Neat! I just built a rooftop deck that's looking pretty bare. I think I'll whip one of these together next month.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Tons of poo poo for sale in this auction for anyone near PA. One day I'll have a workshop/garage that I can fill up with this stuff.

http://bid.hostetterauctioneers.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/15626/?page=1

E: I need to stop looking at what else is available. Different auction here.

http://bid.hostetterauctioneers.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/15714/?page=7&items=100

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 10, 2017

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

ThirstyBuck posted:

Tons of poo poo for sale in this auction for anyone near PA. One day I'll have a workshop/garage that I can fill up with this stuff.

http://bid.hostetterauctioneers.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/15626/?page=1

Holy poo poo, a diesel garden tractor, didn't even know that existed!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Put a second coat of green on the bottom.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Put a second coat of green on the bottom.

Looks really good.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pulled off the tape, and out into the sun.

Immediately regretted not cleaning off the work table better before putting the pirogue down on it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

This weeks excitement, I got a shelix cutterhead for my jointer and reorganized my clamps. Also bought some more because they were on sale at Depot.

And then today while trying my very best to put off cutting a bunch of sliding dovetails in stock that took 2 days to prep, I made a really stupid paper towel roll holder amongst cleaning the shop and pouring epoxy.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Finished up my nesting tables, these are replacing my coffee table because we don't have enough space for baby stuff in our small living room. This will give us some flexibility. They are made from white oak, dyed, then stained.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Disclaimer: I'm a complete beginner with very few tools and even less experience/skills, so please bear with me.

We have a hammock chair, but no suitable trees to hang it from, so I figured I'd try and make one myself.

My plan is to make two triangular sides from 2x2 planks attached with screws. The bottom would be roughly 1 meter long, with the two sides meeting at the top at a height of about 2 meters. I'd join the sides from the top with another 2x2 between 1.2 - 1.5 meters long. I'd attach a hook to the middle of the top beam and presto, I should have a hammock chair stand.

There are still a few points I'm uncertain about though. Will a 2x2 be able to take the weight of a person for one thing. Another is whether the sides will be stable enough. I could join the two sides at the to bottom to make a square, but I feel that would make it too difficult to place on even slightly uneven ground.

Any thoughts on the above or feedback on the plan (and its flaws) would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Finished up my nesting tables, these are replacing my coffee table because we don't have enough space for baby stuff in our small living room. This will give us some flexibility. They are made from white oak, dyed, then stained.

I think we used to have that same rug in our living room. Very nice on the tables, but I'd sacrifice style to round over corners (edit- and edges), if there are actually baby persons rambling through the area.

This has been the Voice of Experience on this Father's Day, tyool 2017.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Or maybe it's next week. That'll teach me to listen to the wife.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Disclaimer: I'm a complete beginner with very few tools and even less experience/skills, so please bear with me.

We have a hammock chair, but no suitable trees to hang it from, so I figured I'd try and make one myself.

My plan is to make two triangular sides from 2x2 planks attached with screws. The bottom would be roughly 1 meter long, with the two sides meeting at the top at a height of about 2 meters. I'd join the sides from the top with another 2x2 between 1.2 - 1.5 meters long. I'd attach a hook to the middle of the top beam and presto, I should have a hammock chair stand.

There are still a few points I'm uncertain about though. Will a 2x2 be able to take the weight of a person for one thing. Another is whether the sides will be stable enough. I could join the two sides at the to bottom to make a square, but I feel that would make it too difficult to place on even slightly uneven ground.

Any thoughts on the above or feedback on the plan (and its flaws) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for this prompt. It gave me an opportunity to practice fusion 360 to make a visual aid. For this project I'd laminate some 1x or plywood strips for strength and make 3x triangles like so:

http://imgur.com/a/5FctX

I might make the middle triangle have a T profile for the spine so the side triangles fit into an inside corner.

Also, to prepare it for uneven ground, I'd do a fourth triangle tying the sides together and have pads at the 3 furthest points so the long edges are suspended.

bred fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 11, 2017

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think we used to have that same rug in our living room. Very nice on the tables, but I'd sacrifice style to round over corners (edit- and edges), if there are actually baby persons rambling through the area.

This has been the Voice of Experience on this Father's Day, tyool 2017.

drat, wish i would have thought of that.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I made a card box for my nerd game deck

Sides, bottom, and lid are Cumaru, salvaged from a construction site. I burned the lid design with a soldering iron and finished with BLO. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I honestly don't think theres anything I would do differently, aside from fabricating some sort of branding iron to make the design cleaner. It was done freehand and shows, but I can live with it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Super Waffle posted:

I made a card box for my nerd game deck

Sides, bottom, and lid are Cumaru, salvaged from a construction site. I burned the lid design with a soldering iron and finished with BLO. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I honestly don't think theres anything I would do differently, aside from fabricating some sort of branding iron to make the design cleaner. It was done freehand and shows, but I can live with it.

Very nice

coathat
May 21, 2007

Does anyone have a good source for scroll saw patterns? I'm apparently bad a searching for them and can't really find anything I like.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

http://www.makecnc.com/scrollsaw.php

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I built a 4x8 cedar garden box. It's all just butt joints and screws, very simple construction. I need to move it, and need to put it on its side to do so, but I'm afraid of racking. Would temporarily screwing small strips of wood to the top at each corner at a 45 degree angle offer much protection? Is there a better way to handle it?

I'm not sure I'm describing it well - Picture a bookcase carcass, but instead of putting a solid back on, you just put, say, 6" straps on a 45 at each corner. Would that accomplish anything?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, it'd help a lot, although I'd go longer than 6". Just get some 2x4 and do that, give it a few feet for each brace, should make it plenty rigid for a small journey.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Pulled off the tape, and out into the sun.

Immediately regretted not cleaning off the work table better before putting the pirogue down on it.

This is looking really nice. Are you planning seats at all or do you plan on kneeling while rowing it?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I built a 4x8 cedar garden box. It's all just butt joints and screws, very simple construction. I need to move it, and need to put it on its side to do so, but I'm afraid of racking. Would temporarily screwing small strips of wood to the top at each corner at a 45 degree angle offer much protection? Is there a better way to handle it?

I'm not sure I'm describing it well - Picture a bookcase carcass, but instead of putting a solid back on, you just put, say, 6" straps on a 45 at each corner. Would that accomplish anything?

If it's just screws, you could also disassemble and reassemble it pretty quick.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

ColdPie posted:

If it's just screws, you could also disassemble and reassemble it pretty quick.

If you do that, stick a few toothpicks in the holes prior to reassembling.

Did I post these boxes, I made a while back? Finally got em all finished, mahogany and maple with a pine liner and walnut/maple banding.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Praeda posted:

This is looking really nice. Are you planning seats at all or do you plan on kneeling while rowing it?

Right now I'm just using a USCG type 4 boat cushion, but I'll probably do some sort of seat. It'll need to be movable to adjust for center of gravity depending on whether or not I've got my dog, nieces or nephews with me or not.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Today I was so sick of sanding a billion identical boards I had to take a sanity break and build something vaguely pointless out of scrap pieces. Turned out to be a chair.

Nicer to sit on than the drummer's stool visible in the back, despite the latter's cushioning. Worth the half hour that took!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Meow Meow Meow posted:

If you do that, stick a few toothpicks in the holes prior to reassembling.

Did I post these boxes, I made a while back? Finally got em all finished, mahogany and maple with a pine liner and walnut/maple banding.

:drat: those are some clean lines, awesome boxes!

coathat
May 21, 2007

MDF honing wheels are the poo poo! It's so fast to make things extra sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I made a little shop cart thing. I got so caught up trying to make everything perfect and I got really frustrated. Today I just said, "gently caress it I'm finishing this thing" and I enjoyed myself much more and also learned alot.

I actually planned for the cart top to be the same height as the bench but I think the correct move would have been to have the infeed / outfeed tables just a little higher than the bench. Whatevs.