Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

elise the great posted:

I AM SWOONING OVER YOUR VINE WALL

I'm swooning over all that, everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks!

We're planning to rent here for a few years and enjoy gardening enough that we felt OK investing in some in-ground stuff. Other parts are just natural growth that we've trained (like the redbud and virginia creeper). The whole patio is slowly crumbling, so we're just embracing the aesthetic without having to worry about the longterm damage. I'll see if I can get some better shots of the whole thing later.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

---

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hello yes kindly yell me where you got the special light version of my dog

https://imgur.com/gQJi6w8

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hello yes kindly yell me where you got the special light version of my dog

https://imgur.com/gQJi6w8

:lol:

Side of a dirt road, Vidalia, GA. She was the puppy of a poor little stray.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

hi gardening thread, this is my garden! I just planted a bunch of corn and a lettuce carpet, along with some sunflowers and other colourful stuff. can't wait for this all to be giant.

this is from about a week ago, stuff is much bigger already. I'll be sure to post pics through the season as this is our first time doing anything so large scale, its pretty exciting

speaking of greens, my mixed lettuce and florida broadleaf mustard greens were looking a bit overgrown so i decided to do some light harvesting. I guess they were more uh, productive than I initially thought :stare:

Time to visit the neighbors and gain some brownie points I guess

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I made a twine setup like this a couple of days ago after all my corn got knocked over. It seems fine so far.

Here is my garden because I don't think I've posted it yet. It's a beautiful overgrown mess.

Pic 1 is our vine wall. It has some coral honeysuckle, morning glory, virginia creeper, rose, American pitcher plants, redbud, etc.
Pic 2 is the vegetable garden with many peas, tomatoes, peppers, grapes, blueberries, corn etc.
Pic 3 is a huge gifted philodendron with Asian pitcher plants and mints in the background, plus misc shade plants.

This is real cool

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fitzy Fitz posted:

:lol:

Side of a dirt road, Vidalia, GA. She was the puppy of a poor little stray.

Mine was a stray off the side of a highway in Ocala. Small hound dog world.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mine was a stray off the side of a highway in Ocala. Small hound dog world.

I love country mutts because they draw from all those great farm/hunting breeds. It's a shame how often they go neglected though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

elise the great posted:

Well frick those tomato pictures fill me with unholy lust. I cannot WAIT for tomato season to finally leak into the Pacific Northwest.

Anyway, my balconies both face directly west, and it does get crazy gross hot from evening sun. I mean CRAZY gross hot. It seems to have been built in the '80s or '90s and it's basically a pressure cooker in here-- the pineapple sits in a window, where it thrived all winter because it never ever gets even slightly cold indoors. This being the PNW, summertime comes with 0430 sunrises and 2230 sunsets, which we pay for with lateral sunlight (that the side wall of my balcony blocks, come to think of it).

I'm seriously tempted now to start calculating sunlight exposure and whatnot, by the way. That is some really cool information and helps me understand a lot better how my porch can be hot enough to burn my feet but still not be getting enough direct sun to keep a dang parsley alive.

Here's an IMPRESSIVELY BAD mspaint layout of my tiny balcony garden setup, anyway.

Okay, here's the roughest thing I can say in the shortest time possible: you're hosed on sunlight. You will never get more than 2/3 to half the potential sun in your area, simply because you're facing 90 degrees in the wrong direction. The sun comes up in the east (behind you) and then around noon it begins to hit you.. You've got a partially-shaded balcony AT BEST, imho. The sun you do get is the KILLING sun - I don't want to get into the math but it really does get stronger and less useful due to ambient air temps and the like as the sun passes zenith and moves to sundown. :(

Put all of your greediest fruiting plants as far on the edges of your balconies as possible (hell, put them in window planters on your railings - literally every inch or two will help).

I really hope you don't feel bad about having a poor facing in your living space, or take this as some kind of criticis.. I've moved between at least 6 rental units and even bought and sold a house before I learned this stuff.. Nowadays, I immediately ask "is it southern-facing?" (in terms of window facings etc).

East is wake-up sex.

West is sweaty-gross sex.

South gets all of the above, plus a nice lunch break.

North is the grave.
Clear the grass back a few feet, first.

Grass is a nasty, nasty weed that sends out runners and leeches water from its neighbors.

THe soil being sawdust/chips is not strange as much as COMMON AS gently caress unfortunately. Check out the You Bet Your Garden podcast to find out how frickin' awful wood mulch is, for plant bedding. (spoiler: all the nutrients in the wood were in the outer tissue and leaves/needles, and as it rots, the wood itself leeches the immensely-desirable nitrogen from the soil!). It's why you want ot make compost from leafy green instead of wood chips. If you leave wqood chips alone long enough they become viable again however, some volunteer sweed will probs steal all that nitro before you can get to it. So do never wood-mulch - unless you like the smell and the shavings in your clothing when you work in the yard, or you're selling your property.

Wood Mulch is literally a scam to deal with what was otherwise a landfill material which mills had to pay to dispose of - now they sell it to stupid homeowners and the people who sella nd deliver it make a good living by adding in chocolate scent and other crap.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Can't wait for tomater season aaaag

Man, I wish I'd known about those cool tools before they were axed. :(

Also, elise, you can trellis nasty urchins. I'm on mobile so I can't make out if you've already done so!
Here's a whole truckload of tools if you really are into drafting and engineering (like me).

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/SunChartRS.htm

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 10, 2017

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

coyo7e posted:

THe soil being sawdust/chips is not strange as much as COMMON AS gently caress unfortunately. Check out the You Bet Your Garden podcast to find out how frickin' awful wood mulch is, for plant bedding. (spoiler: all the nutrients in the wood were in the outer tissue and leaves/needles, and as it rots, the wood itself leeches the immensely-desirable nitrogen from the soil!). It's why you want ot make compost from leafy green instead of wood chips. If you leave wqood chips alone long enough they become viable again however, some volunteer sweed will probs steal all that nitro before you can get to it. So do never wood-mulch - unless you like the smell and the shavings in your clothing when you work in the yard, or you're selling your property.

Wood Mulch is literally a scam to deal with what was otherwise a landfill material which mills had to pay to dispose of - now they sell it to stupid homeowners and the people who sella nd deliver it make a good living by adding in chocolate scent and other crap.

http://www.builditsolar.com/References/SunChartRS.htm

I probably could have worded it better. The soil (a mix of sawdust, compost, and small wood chips) in a raised bed wasn't the surprise (I put it in), but rather I was surprised that a soil-borne disease like verticillium wilt could move into my fresh soil and attack the plant so quickly. I'm still not positive that it is verticillium wilt, but that's my first guess (http://www.nwberryfoundation.org/DisordersDetail.asp?id=28). If I'm correct, I won't be growing raspberries there again. I may throw in a few more blueberry plants, since they seem to do very well in the yard.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

coyo7e posted:

UR PORCH SUCKS

Whoa, thank you so much for doing the brainwork on that! I take zero offense at recognizing how garbage-truck turbofucked my house is for sunlight-- like I said, this place is a swelterhell all summer and "killing sun" is not an overstatement. The tomatoes are definitely top priority, and they seem to enjoy that whole "killing sun" thing for whatever reason (at least last year's tomatoes did), but I kind of assume I can't get anything to bear fruit that isn't getting one of the main sunlight spots out on the big balcony. Anything else I grow is for leaves and leaves alone.

I'll experiment on maximizing light potential & usage for what I've got, prioritize my favorite herbs, and see if I can sweet-talk the HOA in this condo into letting me have a window box or two. Also I'm gonna finish putting blackout curtains on all my windows before Juneuary is over and we descend into the death-heat of summer.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

elise the great posted:

Whoa, thank you so much for doing the brainwork on that!
If I had any idea of the solar, humidity, and other factors involved in property selection and gardening 8 years ago, my house would've been so much nicer and my garden so much better..

But as I heard in the "blower door testing" episode of HVAC School podcast the other day, "don't even bother with a first time homeowner. They think they know better, and they think they can do it themself or have a buddy who can." :D

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just got back from the garden, here's how the planties are currently looking. one week after the pics I posted yesterday. I'm starting to suspect my plot has really great soil because the tomatoes look so much nicer than any of my neighbours'. these things are already beastly. gonna have to do some more weeding soon though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I wouldn't go quite this far... I mean you're right--other mulches are better for vegetable gardens--but wood mulch is great for landscaping, especially with trees, and it's still viable for a vegetable garden. It's recommended that you pretreat with a nitrogen fertilizer if you're using it in your garden because, like you said, it grabs up a lot of nutrients over the short-term. I'm gonna listen to that podcast because soil health is fun and interesting.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

coyo7e posted:

If I had any idea of the solar, humidity, and other factors involved in property selection and gardening 8 years ago, my house would've been so much nicer and my garden so much better..

But as I heard in the "blower door testing" episode of HVAC School podcast the other day, "don't even bother with a first time homeowner. They think they know better, and they think they can do it themself or have a buddy who can." :D

Well, count me on the "convinced" list. I'm probably never gonna actually own a place, and the rental market in Seattle is such that you take what you can get (we rent from close friends at an obscene discount in return for child care), but if I ever do go house hunting, where can I get some decent larnin' about garden selection? Or how do I find a consultant to hire, since my ability to learn about solar/humidity/soil issues is never gonna catch up to that of an educated person?

e: I put a couple of the less happy plamps out on the bigger balcony that catches actual sunlight yesterday and by george, it's like 300% better today. You are seriously not kidding about the light levels.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

elise the great posted:

Well, count me on the "convinced" list. I'm probably never gonna actually own a place, and the rental market in Seattle is such that you take what you can get (we rent from close friends at an obscene discount in return for child care), but if I ever do go house hunting, where can I get some decent larnin' about garden selection? Or how do I find a consultant to hire, since my ability to learn about solar/humidity/soil issues is never gonna catch up to that of an educated person?

e: I put a couple of the less happy plamps out on the bigger balcony that catches actual sunlight yesterday and by george, it's like 300% better today. You are seriously not kidding about the light levels.

If you haven't been yet, go check out Swansons nursery in Ballard or Sky in Shoreline. Both are amazing wealths of knowledge.

And I'm not sure exactly where you're at, but if you're remotely close to a p-patch, get your name on their waiting list. You would be surrounded by loads of knowledgeable people.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

coyo7e posted:

Wood mulch is the polar opposite of conventional chemical fertilizer.

Wood mulch will build your soil in the long term, with it binding up nutrients in the short term.
Conventional chemical fertilizer gives your plants an immediate boost, but harms the soil long term.

e: When I say wood mulch, I talk about the stuff I get for free from tree pruning services. Branches, leaves, and trunks, chipped up and mixed.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 10, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Is it possible to plant half a cherry tomato bush?

Because this is absurd.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wouldn't go quite this far... I mean you're right--other mulches are better for vegetable gardens--but wood mulch is great for landscaping, especially with trees, and it's still viable for a vegetable garden. It's recommended that you pretreat with a nitrogen fertilizer if you're using it in your garden because, like you said, it grabs up a lot of nutrients over the short-term. I'm gonna listen to that podcast because soil health is fun and interesting.

What mulch would you recommend for vegetable contexts? Also are we talking about "shredded hardwood" here, or all wood-based mulches? I've read people adding mini pine bark mulch (for example) directly to their soil mixes.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Because this is absurd.

I wanna motorboat that bowl o tomatoes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hubis posted:

What mulch would you recommend for vegetable contexts? Also are we talking about "shredded hardwood" here, or all wood-based mulches? I've read people adding mini pine bark mulch (for example) directly to their soil mixes.

Straw, grass clippings, and pine needles (raises pH, so check soil acidity) are all good. You can put a layer of compost beneath them too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Shifty Pony posted:

Because this is absurd.

Is it PYF tomatoes? Here's mine.

:suicide:

Starting outdoors might've worked better if the average temp in may hadn't been around 10C. I have 4 backups started indoors which might well overtake these. I actually ended up transplanting 2 of the backups outside in the pots where the peppers simply refused to germinate. Can you guess which!?

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 11, 2017

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jan posted:

Is it PYF tomatoes? Here's mine.

:suicide:
:hfive: Here's mine:

The first plant was tragically killed during a thunderstorm, so I planted two seeds in its place and I'll pull the weaker one in a couple of weeks, assuming they germinate. I should probably have started them indoors, but :effort:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

If I ever tried outdoor starting tomatoes in Seattle I would basically be throwing seeds in the trash. Only, you know, landfills stay real warm and are exposed to sunlight, and tomato plants are notorious volunteers, so I might actually do better dumping them than planting them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I saw a tiny bug crawling over my zucchini today. It had a little baby bug riding on it's back. It was striped yellow and black with the stripes running from its head down its body to its rear. A few minutes googling makes me think its probably some sort of squash beetles. Are there any good ways to get rid of squash beetles now that they've moved in?

Unfortunately I didn't get a good picture of it since my camera zoom wouldn't focus on it and when I moved my camera close to it, the bug jumped off and I lost it in the dirt.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Straw, grass clippings, and pine needles (raises pH, so check soil acidity) are all good. You can put a layer of compost beneath them too.

Hmm, interesting... It never occurred to me to bag my clippings and use them as bedding mulch but I could 100% do that. Anything I should watch out for if I go that route?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hubis posted:

Hmm, interesting... It never occurred to me to bag my clippings and use them as bedding mulch but I could 100% do that. Anything I should watch out for if I go that route?

You have to be careful not to put down too much. They can form a dense mat, promote mold, etc. Honestly there are a lot of good guides on Google that can explain it better than I can.

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You have to be careful not to put down too much. They can form a dense mat, promote mold, etc. Honestly there are a lot of good guides on Google that can explain it better than I can.

Also, please don't use grass clippings if you have Bermuda grass, as it's very likely that it will sprout grass all over your vegetable beds. Years ago a family member added Bermuda grass clippings from lawn mowing to a compost bin, not realizing that could be an issue, and it was taken over quite quickly with that horrible invasive stuff.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
On a more positive note, my herb planters:

...And now I'm feeling bothered that I planted them in the wrong order.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Jan posted:

~/o Thyme parsleeeeey rosemary and sage ~/o

I mean it's not that bad, and also your plamps are cute

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I have heard from several sources that specifically cedar wood mulch will kill your plants, or basically anything with roots under it. Received old time wisdom is that cedar is poison for your garden. Great for footpaths that you don't ever want anything to grow in though.

Truth or old wives' tale? What say ye goons?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I have heard from several sources that specifically cedar wood mulch will kill your plants, or basically anything with roots under it. Received old time wisdom is that cedar is poison for your garden. Great for footpaths that you don't ever want anything to grow in though.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/not-use-cedar-mulch-38822.html

Seems fine. Just don't use sawdust.

:shrug:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Anyone know what's going on with my chard?

It's been really hot here, not sure if this is just sun bleaching or some sort of disease.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

B33rChiller posted:

Old wives tale, cedar boards are one of the best woods to use to make raised beds.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jan posted:

what kind of stuff do you use sage for? I loved the smell of it everywhere driving through the american west but it never had much of an edible connotation in my mind.

plant update, my tomato plants are loving giant and are the envy of my plot neighbours. I've got 60 year olds coming up to me and asking for tips, these things are beastly and the only info I can pass on is where I got them

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Walrus posted:

what kind of stuff do you use sage for? I loved the smell of it everywhere driving through the american west but it never had much of an edible connotation in my mind.

Sage does really well with cheese/bechamel/whatever to make white pasta sauces. You can even just brown some butter and throw sage in for a quick "better than just butter" sauce. It's quite good.

I've got a bunch of it right outside the kitchen door and end up using it a lot.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks Fitzy and Fozzy. Guess I should remain sceptical of these pearls of wisdom.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Motronic posted:

Sage does really well with cheese/bechamel/whatever to make white pasta sauces. You can even just brown some butter and throw sage in for a quick "better than just butter" sauce. It's quite good.

I've got a bunch of it right outside the kitchen door and end up using it a lot.

If you like sausage, sage is one of the things that make ground pork taste like stuffing or breakfast sausage (along with other things). Also an easy and delicious thing is to fry sage leaves and use them as a garnish or to top things. It looks fancy, and tastes and smells amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Wrap a largish shrimp in a sage leaf, then a piece of pancetta. Throw it on the grill...