Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The good Black Library books make me wonder if there are other fun and readable examples of genre fiction novels out there. Once upon a time I wrote off the whole mess as being just stories about plastic dolls, but thankfully I gave ABD and Abnett a chance. Are there other examples of books about licensed properties out there that are as good as what those guys put out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The new Star Wars novels range from alright to great. James Luceno seems to be that playground's ADB.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Arquinsiel posted:

The new Star Wars novels range from alright to great. James Luceno seems to be that playground's ADB.

There are new Star Wars novels?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Roller Coast Guard posted:

There are new Star Wars novels?

Including a new Zahn Thrawn novel, which by all accounts is as good if not better than the old ones.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I've heard some of them range quite a bit lower than just "alright".

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Including a new Zahn Thrawn novel, which by all accounts is as good if not better than the old ones.

It's really good!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tell us about it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The good Black Library books make me wonder if there are other fun and readable examples of genre fiction novels out there. Once upon a time I wrote off the whole mess as being just stories about plastic dolls, but thankfully I gave ABD and Abnett a chance. Are there other examples of books about licensed properties out there that are as good as what those guys put out?

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the new run of Aliens novels are pretty well written. Out of the Shadows is the first of them; I did capsule reviews in the Aliens thread. They all have at least one stupid thing that's Fox' fault, but the authors do very well with characters and plot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We got real lucky with Abnett tho.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AndyElusive posted:

I've heard some of them range quite a bit lower than just "alright".
I haven't regretted my time on any of them so far, but there's one about Luke Skywalker that's just kind of boring and pointless. In general you have to adjust mentally for "Star Wars EU" and remember that the internet hates change now so check to see if the person has nuanced criticisms or just hates that the protagonist is female, hates that the female protagonist is black, or hates that the black female protagonist has sex and isn't punished for it. Or just hates it because "it's not the Vong war :colbert:"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

This isn't quite genre fiction, but James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek:TOS) collaborated with S.M. Stirling on a great military sci-fi trilogy called the Flight Engineer series, where the protagonist is a lead engineer / ex-fighter pilot on a space carrier. If conducting a murder investigation amidst a military campaign in a relativistic universe sounds interesting to you, check out Rising - the first book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0671878492/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=88ZQXE4B462PBY9B5QW7&dpPl=1&dpID=51VTXKHHQWL

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I don't think Space Marines would be a good way to introduce 40k to film, honestly. There's a lot of baggage to get through for the ordinary viewer. The Guard, by contrast, are much easier to grasp, and tend to be much more human and relatable.

Necropolis is also an elegantly simple scenario with a broad range of characters, including women.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Have it be a Necropolis movie but at the end have some Space Marines touch down and wreck poo poo with no explanation. That'd be a cool finale.

In regards to a 40K story, I wouldn't try to do too much. This notion could seem counter-intuitive because to those of us familiar with the setting, one of the really cool things is the scale and how grand and galactic everything is (or used to be). I would make it a story about guardsmen and I would keep it something simple along the lines of that Ghost book everyone loves for it uh Necropolis. Good Space guy, clearly evil space guy they fight on a planet for something "important" that is shown to be of no strategic or even system significance in the end. poo poo, have everyone die, that'd be pretty 40k after all there is nothing but the thirst of laughing gods or whatever. I would however drop space marines in at the end to very easily dispatch or accomplish whatever killed all our beloved guardsmen to set up that contrast. Do it in Drop Pods with loud rear end loving sound, make me feel them hit, have the Marines come out like the Emperors own wrath and wreck poo poo all set to Carmina Burana. Fin

Thinking down the road, poo poo man theres alot of stories in 40K i sure would like to see financing and an agreement for at least a loose "trilogy" of maybe kinda connected movies...i mean have them set in the same campaign right, cause than you can frame the first epic omg this is so important movie as nothing but a footnote in the other two and follow maybe one character all the way though if you HAVE to get it sold that way, but it'd be cool to have people simply drop in and out as they die and we shift perspective slowly from a squad level war story to a massive galactic campaign revealed in the third and "final". Sabbat Crusades, idk whatever.

Marines in the first series of movies though should be established as what they are to the every day people of the Imperium. The Emperor's Angels, the Mail about His Fist and the Tip of His Holy Spear (no homo). you gotta frame em and establish em, give me like one money scene a movie where they are legitimately depicted as the most badass things ever. I dont wanna gently caress with Chaos, CSM's or Daemon princes for none of the first or second movie. Just make it relatable, let it sell and in maybe the ending of the second or third movie introduce some chaosy evil poo poo. if it takes off you'd have more than enough time to make every evil tentacly chaosy poo poo you wanna make. Maybe the big rear end finale at the end of third is the revelation that omfg there are evil Space Marines and they are fighting good space marines! that would be a huge twist to the vast majority of people who have had them framed as a sort of holy pure nazi jesus superman and have never heard of this dead gay extortionist game setting that we all love.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 13, 2017

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Just do a film based on Titanicus. Giant robots blowing the poo poo out of other giant robots, with a little bit of tank/infantry action to boot. There are enough scenes with ordinary folk on the ground to put the giantness of said robots into perspective, and the whole looming threat of the Mechanicus schism adds some political(ish) drama to the mix.

Really though, giant loving robots blowing crap up. It's not a hard sell. :colbert:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Just do a film based on Titanicus. Giant robots blowing the poo poo out of other giant robots, with a little bit of tank/infantry action to boot. There are enough scenes with ordinary folk on the ground to put the giantness of said robots into perspective, and the whole looming threat of the Mechanicus schism adds some political(ish) drama to the mix.

Really though, giant loving robots blowing crap up. It's not a hard sell. :colbert:

i also accept this but you might be pushing yourself into a niche making giant robots the selling point. I dont want people to think they're gunna go see pacific rim. i'd wanna pitch it (dishonest though it may be) almost as a generic sci-fi action/war story and slowly introduce poo poo. probably have to shoe horn in strong female lead and or love story somewhere if you're after block buster numbers. if you just want to make back what you spent with enough profit to finance another one than it may be less important to be generic. idk im bullshitting, but ive thought about a ham movie before and im drinking watching the Finals so.

I would LOVE to see the Assault on Terra from the Horus Heresy on the big screen. it'd be amazing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

There's no way a Warhammer movie wouldn't be horrible trash.

Just watch Dredd and pretend they're Arbites.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endman posted:

There's no way a Warhammer movie wouldn't be horrible trash.

Just watch Dredd and pretend they're Arbites.

At least someone gets it. The never-ending nerd argument over what would make a good 40k movie is fun the first few times around but over the years it just gets sad. They're not going to do it, guys and gals.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My ideal 40k movie features sexy soritas mud wrestling

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is a relatively low budget venture we could probably get funded with a kcikstart in the 4 ham threads on the forums.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
There are four?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There are four?

This one, Death Thread, BYOB 40k, and the regular 40k TG thread

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
There is also one for the Pen and paper RPG setting!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Liiiiiinks!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

The only one that matters is in cool free chat center in byob, go now and read the whole thing

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

This one, Death Thread, BYOB 40k, and the regular 40k TG thread

There's​ also Moola's scrunt thread in TG.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Finished Guns of Tanith.

God loving damnit, Dan. :(

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Hustlin Floh posted:

At least someone gets it. The never-ending nerd argument over what would make a good 40k movie is fun the first few times around but over the years it just gets sad. They're not going to do it, guys and gals.

This.

They'd either do a stripped down version that would have a rushed, complete arc leaving the story nowhere to go (origin of Emperor and a fight with his son probably) or it would be a mess that means nothing to non-fans. I tried watching Chronicles of Riddick and turned it off after 20 minutes because there was suddenly some crazy background universe with history and races and poo poo and I just didn't connect with it after the small scale Pitch Black movie. WH40k would he a hundred times worse.

The sad thing is that there are so many 40k moments that would be epic on a cinema screen, but the reality of film is that it simply wouldn't be good.

Someone on the forums described their fantasy opening to a WH40k movie and it sounded amazing. A monk talking about the God Emperor to an initiate in a dark monastery lighting candles as he goes with the sound of warfare outside and the stonework shaking, etc. Then they reach a large window and the monastery is on an Imperator titan in a pull back shot of a classic 40k warzone. Setting summed up in one scene. The problem is, now where do we go?

I love the idea of keeping the insane stuff out of the movies (at least at first), but unless GW pull their heads out of their asses and let talented people do that kind of work it's never going to happen. A film studio simply won't get the setting, will want the big stuff for popcorn movies while stripping out what actually makes the setting work to make it palatable to a casual movie goer.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Eisenhorn on HBO when game of thrones is done imo.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
But how to make it relatable?

I know - we'll have a 21st century character with a snappy attitude transported into the far future. They can crack one liners and ask questions for the audience. Somehow their IPod will still work and they can have whacky adventures with our grumpy inquisitor as they learn from each other. Our character discovers his inner hero and Gregor learns to love again.

Episode 2 is this character being tortured, flayed alive and then turned into a floating skull to remind our grumpy inquisitor that he needs to pick up his new coat before signing an exterminatus on the planet of the orphan puppies. Because gently caress you. Welcome to 40k. Buy our plastic men.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Finished Guns of Tanith.

God loving damnit, Dan. :(

If you read the authors note, Dan talks about losing the entire book and having to write it again from scratch. Cuu wasn't in the first version at all and he's one of the best characters in the entire series.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
So, Carrion Throne: Does this mean the Dark Eldar that made it to Terra is a Haemonculi? I'm not very well read on the race and am guessing based on the Wiki.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are there other examples of books about licensed properties out there that are as good as what those guys put out?

I liked the early Halo novels. :shobon: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund is still a favourite of mine even if I haven't read it in a while.
It was kinda beyond that point I felt that they were starting to slip slightly. Granted the real nosedive came when they began explaining the Forerunners more in detail. Which was kinda their HH moment for me.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The first 3 or 4 Halo novels were solid books. I enjoyed them but I do agree they seemed to deteriorate as they went on. Once of the stories was a group of Spartan trainees (like young teenagers) out on exercise when the Covenant hit the first time. They tried to survive but everyone died. was pretty sweet

Drizzit books are cool and good..drag a bit dont marathon them

Caine books are good too

I grew up reading DragonLance so....I like it alot.

How are the resident evil books? I like zombies but so much zombie books are terrible rear end and right wing fantasy. World War Z and Day by Day Armageddon were good. does anyone else have zombie books they like

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Syncopated posted:

Eisenhorn on HBO when game of thrones is done imo.

Agreed. Eisenhorn is probably the only way to do 40K and make it relocatable to people who don't know anything about 40K. Even better would be some sort of extended detective series, like the one storyline in the Expanse show (I only got a few episodes in, so I don't know the name of Thomas Jane's character.) You could even toss a CSM in there as a big bad without having to do much in terms of explanation.

Or, like Endman said, just watch Dredd.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tancredtube

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Lawrence of Tallarn
Her, ending with Joaquin Phoenix being executed for tech heresy
Of mice and men, Lenny is an ogryn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Slaughterhab-Five, Billius the Pilgrim becomes unstuck in the Warp.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead would need virtually no changes, come to think of it.

Starship Troopers: an Elysian Stormtrooper fondly recalls his memories of a campaign against the Tyranids.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Lead Psychiatry posted:

So, Carrion Throne: Does this mean the Dark Eldar that made it to Terra is a Haemonculi? I'm not very well read on the race and am guessing based on the Wiki.

I'm sure I read years ago about the mechanicus going to Commorragh to try and either resurrect the Emperor or fix the throne, maybe in the newer DE codex? Either way, DE and the throne aren't that new a revelation.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Drizzit books are cool and good..drag a bit dont marathon them

I think I only read the one that really introduced Jaraxle and Artemis before moving onto their specific books. I found Jarable a lot more interesting than Drizzt in this case.

Waroduce posted:

I grew up reading DragonLance so....I like it alot.

I think I read the first series and found them okay even if I have forgotten pretty much everything about them.
Except Kenders. :argh:

Waroduce posted:

How are the resident evil books? I like zombies but so much zombie books are terrible rear end and right wing fantasy. World War Z and Day by Day Armageddon were good. does anyone else have zombie books they like

Funny enough I think WWZ was the last zombie book I ever bothered reading. First one was the Zombie Survival guide funny enough. After that I haven't touched a single book related to the subject and is just sick of tired of zombies in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

I think I only read the one that really introduced Jaraxle and Artemis before moving onto their specific books. I found Jarable a lot more interesting than Drizzt in this case.

I think I read the first series and found them okay even if I have forgotten pretty much everything about them.
Except Kenders. :argh:
If you're okay with books that are either a Mary Sue romp or are clearly, and sometimes explicitly, someone running a game and just writing down what happened then the D&D books are alright. I rather liked the ones Elaine Cunningham wrote.