Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Now I'm just wondering who Gundam characters would main in Street Fighter.
Argo would main Zangief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There is a psychic element to the Zaku Reuse [P]. The system is a very crude early psycommu that can nevertheless get impressive results from even weak Newtypes, awakening their powers by physically integrating them with the suit. Big spoiler: It's how the South Sea Alliance became so powerful - a minor Buddhist cult leader plugged himself in, and started one of the Universal Century's first ever Newtype religions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is contilism a religion or just deikun's personal philosophy

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

3 posted:

Reuse-P does not use psycommu, no. The whole deal was that they were trying to create a system that could replicate the finer control a psycommu system gives a newtype over their machine but for oldtypes; the catch is you have to saw off both your arms and legs for it to work.

I don't really get why they only link someone's nerves to the machine by chopping off all their limbs honestly. Just another oddly anachronistic choice to make the central conceits of the story work/setting work I suppose, but it comes off as rather needless just to make the central antagonist more sympathetic/edgy than he really needs to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The amputation angle is because the living dead division were guinea pigs. Half the point of the reuse system is to allow wounded soldiers to continue fighting. By using Darryl as a quadrupalegic testbed they can confirm that the system will work regardless of the physical state of the pilot. He was able to use the system perfectly fine with both his hands still attached earlier.

Presumably a mass produced reuse device would be compatible with a pilot in any physical state.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Noo? Unless it's different in the manga I recall them making reference to them hooking up the nerve endings, that's why they wanted to take his other arm so he would be maximally efficient with the device. that's also the whole imagery of his lost arms and legs returning when he's in the suit.

In the latest episode they talk about the cultists being super dangerous because if the have the reuse system theres nothing stopping crazy cultists from lopping off their limbs and becoming a legion of semi-newtypes.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DamnGlitch posted:

Noo? Unless it's different in the manga I recall them making reference to them hooking up the nerve endings, that's why they wanted to take his other arm so he would be maximally efficient with the device. that's also the whole imagery of his lost arms and legs returning when he's in the suit.

In the latest episode they talk about the cultists being super dangerous because if the have the reuse system theres nothing stopping crazy cultists from lopping off their limbs and becoming a legion of semi-newtypes.

Yeah, that was my reading of the system as well. When Daryl was testing it, they were only having him do running tests because his legs were already gone; it was only after he lost his first arm that they encouraged him to lop off the other one so they could max the efficiency of the suit. Essentially, it turns a mobile suit into a large-scale prosthesis, which is why it plugs into the same sockets as the living dead division's regular crap prostheses.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tsob posted:

I don't really get why they only link someone's nerves to the machine by chopping off all their limbs honestly. Just another oddly anachronistic choice to make the central conceits of the story work/setting work I suppose, but it comes off as rather needless just to make the central antagonist more sympathetic/edgy than he really needs to be.

That's how the technology was designed (as advanced prosthetics tech) and not from the ground up as a device to link pilots with their machines. If the goal is linking any ol person to s suit, certainly a less gruesome system could be made, in time, but the one in the show is built on what's her face's prosthetic research, and so in the time span they have it was expedient to just amputate and plug him in.

And of course it's an excuse to be edgy that's how fiction works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus this is late OYW when Zeon was running out of pilots and they needed everyone they could get shoved into a cockpit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's easy to see the Living Dead as precursors to cyber-newtypes. In fact, I suspect that's what they'll end up being. It's basically the same concept for the same purpose, except that cyber-newtypes are much more sophisticated, more powerful, and more recognisably human-shaped.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought it was because they only had The One Suit. it was a prototype: they didn't have any others, and the only way to control the arms was to have an armless person in the pilot seat (because it wasn't really supposed to be used for combat). presumably if they mass produced it, they'd have made versions that only require leg jack ins, or only arm jack ins.

of course, darryl moves the arms when he's running in the test, but i figured that was the suit doing basic running motions as a result of it's

ImpAtom posted:

One of the early points in Gundam is the learning computer which recorded combat info and adapted the Gundam to Amuro, adjusting the movements to compensate for what it learned off his data. Later GMs used copies of Amuro's combat data.

this thing, it saw that the suit was running and so its arms mimicked that. but if you wanted to tell it to pick up a gun, it wouldn't be able to, unless you could find a way to get the learning computer to figure out that you want to pick that gun up purely by leg motions.

i recall the whole deal being karla's boss/fellow scientist was told "this fight's going to be desperate. we need all hands gunning. that means you, science nerds, you're going to be on the frontline" and his response was "oh god, uh, wait wait! we have a robot! there's just one, and it can only be fully manned by someone who doesn't have any limbs, but if we spent that time we could be fighting just shoving a ton of weapons onto the one robot, that'd be way more useful than having a bunch of limp wristed nerds fighting for you!"

Jerome Scuggs
Feb 13, 2007
Rolodex Propaganda

Darth Walrus posted:

It's easy to see the Living Dead as precursors to cyber-newtypes. In fact, I suspect that's what they'll end up being. It's basically the same concept for the same purpose, except that cyber-newtypes are much more sophisticated, more powerful, and more recognisably human-shaped.

I'm so blown away by the animation that I keep forgetting it's taking place during the OYW, this definitely has to be connected to the seedier underbelly that wound up developing cyber-newtypes.

Thunderbolt is definitely turning out to be my favorite show, I dig that grittier UC poo poo. I've only seen the first 4 episodes (first season?) and I'm telling myself to wait until the next block f episodes comes out but it's hard and I'll probably be diving in this weekend

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There's three out right now and they are very good (or in any case I'm enjoying them very much). Keep in mind it's the aftermath and not so much the same thing writ large.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched the first episode of the new season and it was good but i ended up feeling like i'd be happier waiting to see a complete block of content. seeing the new gundam get introduced and then going "well, better wait a month or two before i get to see where this is going" kinda blows. i understand it's not going to be as tight a complete story as the first season but i'd still rather see the season as a whole, the story seems much more suited to that.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Jamaican Daninghan is a petty-rear end middle manager of a villain and he belongs in Parks and Recreation as much as Zeta.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

3 posted:

Reuse-P does not use psycommu, no. The whole deal was that they were trying to create a system that could replicate the finer control a psycommu system gives a newtype over their machine but for oldtypes; the catch is you have to saw off both your arms and legs for it to work.

There's one dude in Daryl's remnant Acguy squad who gets the newtype flash in the latest episode, but other than that Thunderbolt is p. much all oldtypes.

One of Daryl's buddies speculates that he might be a newtype in S1

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Apparently I waited too long to check out Gundam Thunderbolt Episode 7. Is it seriously not streaming anywhere anymore?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Apparently I waited too long to check out Gundam Thunderbolt Episode 7. Is it seriously not streaming anywhere anymore?

They'll bring it back up in a few months time probably. They've been limiting the new releases to stream only for about a week or two before taking them down.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
When does the next Gundam TV show start

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

When does the next Gundam TV show start

Next week Twilight Axis starts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Twilight Axis isn't a TV show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Semantics. Apart from upcoming OVAs for Build Fighters Try and Origin, there isn't much else on the horizon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I fail to see how it's semantics when he was asking about TV shows in particular. Twilight Axis a series of web shorts that'll probably only be a few minutes long in total. I also fail to see how 'there's none announced' is an unacceptable answer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT You know what, gently caress it I'm not going to argue something this pointless.

If he wants TV shows, he's SOL, if he wants anything else, go whole hog.
Speaking of, here's a new trailer for Origin episode 5. But it's not TV, oh no.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 17, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzCg0b3p54

Where is most of this footage from? The Gihren's Greed games? Cima having a breakdown after gassing the colony is really good.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzCg0b3p54

Where is most of this footage from? The Gihren's Greed games? Cima having a breakdown after gassing the colony is really good.

Everywhere apparently. That specific shot is a one off from an animated radio drama.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any word on how long thunderbolt s2 is going to be? I assumed it was gonna be 4 eps like the first one but after watching ep 3 there's no way they're gonna be able to have any kind of satisfying conclusion in ep 4. It still feels like they're setting up the major conflict.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Is there any word on how long thunderbolt s2 is going to be? I assumed it was gonna be 4 eps like the first one but after watching ep 3 there's no way they're gonna be able to have any kind of satisfying conclusion in ep 4. It still feels like they're setting up the major conflict.

The fourth episode should be a good 'end of Part One' cliffhanger. The Thunderbolt Sector was the prologue, and now we're moving into the main story. There'll probably be another four-episode block for the finale.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Gonna wait for Thundrbolt January Sea and watch it all at once

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So origin is concluding with the two Loum episodes, and then it's 2018.
Motherfuckers you're going to do a 0079 remake for the 40th anniversary aren't you?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
And yet still no series set in UC 0179.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So origin is concluding with the two Loum episodes, and then it's 2018.
Motherfuckers you're going to do a 0079 remake for the 40th anniversary aren't you?
With how much Sunrise milks the One Year War era, a 40th anniversary remake would not surprise me in the least.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Origin should end with the two Zakus about to attack Side 7.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I always thought the general consensus was an 0079 remake in the Origin style.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

all-Rush mixtape posted:

The Origin should end with the two Zakus about to attack Side 7.

Push it back a little earlier, and end with Char getting the mission to go investigate Side 7.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Harlock posted:

I always thought the general consensus was an 0079 remake in the Origin style.

I don't really know if I want Mobile Suit Gundam Crystal. You'd have two options: cut the episode count to 26, or lengthen to 52. I KNOW making it 52 episodes would never work unless they completely re-write the pacing and, I don't know, make the search for salt last for 3 episodes, but cutting to 26 episodes could make it move too fast. I've always said that I think the Gundam metaseries needs to go back to an already established, yet non-UC timeline eventually. The 25th anniversary of G Gundam is coming up....

(I was originally going to type 'I don't really know if I want Mobile Suit Gundam Kai', but then I realized that would be awesome)

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
... you know what, gently caress it:

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bimmi posted:

... you know what, gently caress it:

I really love Mead's breakdown of the RX-78 purely for that little excited cockpit (!) note.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I don't really know if I want Mobile Suit Gundam Crystal. You'd have two options: cut the episode count to 26, or lengthen to 52. I KNOW making it 52 episodes would never work unless they completely re-write the pacing and, I don't know, make the search for salt last for 3 episodes, but cutting to 26 episodes could make it move too fast. I've always said that I think the Gundam metaseries needs to go back to an already established, yet non-UC timeline eventually. The 25th anniversary of G Gundam is coming up....

(I was originally going to type 'I don't really know if I want Mobile Suit Gundam Kai', but then I realized that would be awesome)

The movies disagree with the notion that it'd be too fast, tho with the way they've been doing Origin stuff so far they'd probably screen it in theaters and release them in OVA form so they could just have whatever runtime they pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Or, you know, make it three cour which would be as the bears say, just right.