Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

It won the William Faulkner Foundation award and was a National Book Award finalist, so ease yourself off your high horse there, chief. Real talk: not every book has to be Ulysses.

That was too flippant, I suppose. I'll do an effort dissent.

I don't deny that it's an important/worthwhile book. It had a great premise and complex characters (albeit ones I had trouble liking/identifying with), but I didn't care for the author's style when it came to description. I felt that it tried to be stark and lyrical at the same time, and just ended up confusing the tone in some scenes. I found that distracting enough that it interfered with my enjoyment of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

What are some decent books set against the backdrop of college in the sixties, seventies, or eighties? Stephen King's "hearts in atlantis" is a big one, but I'd be even more interested in the seventies or eighties if possible.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt, The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides are both 80s. I didn't care for the latter, but it got pretty good reviews, so some people like it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

It won the William Faulkner Foundation award and was a National Book Award finalist, so ease yourself off your high horse there, chief. Real talk: not every book has to be Ulysses.

surely those things would make it closer to Ulysses than otherwise?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

What are some decent books set against the backdrop of college in the sixties, seventies, or eighties? Stephen King's "hearts in atlantis" is a big one, but I'd be even more interested in the seventies or eighties if possible.

Robertson Davies makes this a semiregular setting.

Margaret Atwood's Life Before Man is set in the Royal Ontario Museum, attached to the University of Toronto.

/cancon

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Technically, Casaubon in Foucault's Pendulum is a student in Milan in the 70s ...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Everybody come get salty in the botm thread

You'll like it, it's good

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

regulargonzalez posted:

The Sirens of Titan is an early work and a bit rough around the edges but is excellent.

Bluebeard is imo the most underrated Vonnegut, really an excellent book.

But overall, Mother Night might be the next logical progression, though personally I don't like it as much as the above two.

Franchescanado posted:

Mother Night, Sirens of Titan, in that order

Just finished Mother Night and it was really good. Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is Welcome to the Monkey House good? I'm kinda feeling a short story collection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Is Welcome to the Monkey House good? I'm kinda feeling a short story collection.

Yes.

Also, I forget what you posted initially, but you should probably give Cat's Cradle* Breakfast of Champions or Sirens of Titan a chance as your next novel by him. Neither are as good, but BoC is very funny and has a lot of interesting tangents, and SoT is an interesting exploration of predestination, suffering, and finding meaning within the life you're given.

I'm glad you enjoyed Mother Night, that's one's still my favorite by him.

*saw your post in he Just Finished thread

edited for different recs.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 15, 2017

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I've never really read a book for fun so I have no idea what I like. I spent the last several years reading text books so I am finally looking for something that isn't engineering related. I'd like some easy reading to do in the evenings and I am open to pretty much everything as long as its not Math, Science or History.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Rolo posted:

Yes. There's a Canadian public television miniseries with a bunch of the stories, too (which I have on VHS)!

And read Breakfast of Champions soon, too.

knowonecanknow posted:

I've never really read a book for fun so I have no idea what I like. I spent the last several years reading text books so I am finally looking for something that isn't engineering related. I'd like some easy reading to do in the evenings and I am open to pretty much everything as long as its not Math, Science or History.

Welcome to the Monkey House is pretty good... Machine of Death also popped into my head, and short stories by Ray Bradbury and Philip K Dick always do a great job of filling the gap between more substantial reads.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Franchescanado posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed Mother Night, that's one's still my favorite by him.

Yeah man, it's such a good pick. That ending.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

knowonecanknow posted:

Ok, what TV shows or movies do you like? Asking so we can get an idea of a starting place.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

funkybottoms posted:

Welcome to the Monkey House is pretty good... Machine of Death also popped into my head, and short stories by Ray Bradbury and Philip K Dick always do a great job of filling the gap between more substantial reads.

Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

knowonecanknow posted:

For something literary, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

For a novel, A Confederacy of Dunces or a Douglas Adams or light Vonnegut book for something fun/funny.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

knowonecanknow posted:

Do you like murder mysteries? Agatha Christie is genuinely one of the greats, and Ngaio Marsh hits up the same buttons pretty well, but in a cozier, friendlier manner. And Rex Stout writes some corkers with the Nero Wolfe series!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

knowonecanknow posted:

I'll do what I always do and recommend Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. Exteremely relaxing book as long as you don't mind a bit of fairy tale.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I'll do what I always do and recommend Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. Exteremely relaxing book as long as you don't mind a bit of fairy tale.

Seconding that this is an extremely cool and good book

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

anilEhilated posted:

I just picked up my copy of The Library at Mount Char thanks to this thread and I'm probably going to order this one next.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

knowonecanknow posted:

I've never really read a book for fun so I have no idea what I like.
what in the world

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Franchescanado posted:

Also, I forget what you posted initially, but you should probably give Cat's Cradle* Breakfast of Champions or Sirens of Titan a chance as your next novel by him. Neither are as good, but BoC is very funny and has a lot of interesting tangents, and SoT is an interesting exploration of predestination, suffering, and finding meaning within the life you're given.
One other thing about Sirens of Titan is that if you've read/seen Watchman then you get to see where everything good or interesting about it (Watchmen) was stolen from.

Franchescanado posted:

For a novel, A Confederacy of Dunces or a Douglas Adams or light Vonnegut book for something fun/funny.
I would not recommend A Confederacy of Dunces. People who like it really, really like it, but some people (like me) just don't enjoy it at all. And if you're going for Douglas Adams, everyone knows/recommends The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I think the Dirk Gently novels are actually way better than even the first Hitchhiker's book, let alone the later ones.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you like murder mysteries? Agatha Christie is genuinely one of the greats
Personally I'd recommend Dead Man's Folly as a good one to start with.

Unrelated recommendations: Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler; Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett; Instructions For Living Someone Else's Life by Mil Millington; Excession by Iain M Banks.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

knowonecanknow posted:

The Hobbit is a fun adventure that almost all modern fantasy copies
Area 7 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_7_(novel) is a kickass action story, there are some sequels if you like it (also The Great Zoo of China is by the same author and is like Jurassic Park with dragons and lots of explosions)
The Grapes of Wrath is more of a touching story with some political purpose
Lots of stuff by Stephen King ranges from decent to great, mostly scary or weird, check out the short story compilations at least

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

knowonecanknow posted:

The Once and Future King

Easy read about King Arthur and it's so. loving. good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I would not recommend A Confederacy of Dunces. People who like it really, really like it, but some people (like me) just don't enjoy it at all. And if you're going for Douglas Adams, everyone knows/recommends The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I think the Dirk Gently novels are actually way better than even the first Hitchhiker's book, let alone the later ones.

I agree with both. I don't love CoD, but more people love it than hate it, especially on SA

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Are Sophie Hannah's Hercule Poirot books any good?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No. The second one is slightly better but they just try way too hard to emulate the originals and it falls flat.
Just my opinion though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 17, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Im going to Boston. Whats a mindblowing book on boston non fiction?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
'mindblowing' and 'boston' are two words which i do not often see used together in a sentence

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Mr. Boston Bartender Guide, for some values of "mindblowing."

Or how about something on the Boston Strangler?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Selachian posted:

The Mr. Boston Bartender Guide, for some values of "mindblowing."

Or how about something on the Boston Strangler?

He gets it. Its a town of old history and seedy dealings. Salem wasn't too far away

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0807...BpSL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0807819298/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1497789029&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=boston+racism

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What non-fiction do people recommend on American anti-government extremist/domestic terrorist movements? Obviously a particularly relevant subject now, but I've also been reading about the Oklahoma City bombing and want to know more about the history and culture of the movements that create something like that.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

This is going to sound so wanky, but I'm looking for a recommendation for a philosophy book that deals with the question of why anything exists at all. I know there are some physics books that deal with this question but I find those a little inaccessible, plus it doesn't answer the question of why physics even exists.

Basically, I get a little anxious when I think about the universe, where it ends, what's outside it, or if it doesn't end how that can even be, as well as about why people exist, and in hoping that a book can help me get a little more comfortable with those thoughts.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You might run me out of here for this, but... Have you tried religion?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Myth of Sisyphus by Camus. It's a short essay addressing whether or not people should just kill themselves.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

What non-fiction do people recommend on American anti-government extremist/domestic terrorist movements? Obviously a particularly relevant subject now, but I've also been reading about the Oklahoma City bombing and want to know more about the history and culture of the movements that create something like that.

The two best books on the subject I know -- David Neiwert's In God's Country and James Ridgeway's Blood in the Face -- are unfortunately rather old; they were written in the mid- to late 90s, when the militia movement was first coming to national attention after Oklahoma City. Still, they might be worth reading for historical value -- Neiwert and Ridgeway are excellent reporters.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

elbow posted:

This is going to sound so wanky, but I'm looking for a recommendation for a philosophy book that deals with the question of why anything exists at all. I know there are some physics books that deal with this question but I find those a little inaccessible, plus it doesn't answer the question of why physics even exists.

Basically, I get a little anxious when I think about the universe, where it ends, what's outside it, or if it doesn't end how that can even be, as well as about why people exist, and in hoping that a book can help me get a little more comfortable with those thoughts.

Well, if you mean "why" as in "for what purpose" you indeed risk being into religion more than anything, philosophy on these matters is rarely prescriptive. Otherwise I guess you are looking for Descartes (cogito ergo mundus talis est; I think, therefore the world is such as it is), but I am not sure actually reading his stuff will get you anything better than the anthropic principle: "The universe (and hence the fundamental parameters on which it depends) must be such as to admit the creation of observers within it at some stage."

That is, it should not be read as meaning that our observation and analysis creates the universe, but there is no option of analysing a non-existing universe, so the only way for the question to arise places rather strict requirements of the universe (first among which is that it must exist).

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

elbow posted:

Get some recommendations from the Occult thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751013&pagenumber=1 and gain a true understanding of the universe.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"My nigga have you tried lsd"

Lord Hydronium posted:

I havent read about them specifically, but Shock Doctrine and Conservative Nanny State detail some of the causes of people's disaffection with modern society. I also read The Dark Side, by Jane Mayer, about the Bush torture program, and its causes/effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

elbow posted:

Try Catholicism