Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

This welded figurine set contains wood. So it fits here, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Tres Burrito is your av from Sellers' mallet making videos? Just curious

In other news, god in heaven, I got a Stanley SB-4 as a gift for my first bench plane (my experience with woodworking is largely doing very rough carpentry, nothing in the way of fine woodworking, but I'm trying to get into it) and I've been trying to grind it to flat and oh my god this loving thing will not flatten and I hate it forever and want it to die in a fire. I'm basically hatefucking this thing flat while waiting for dungeon queues in Final Fantasy 14 to pop.

kill me, i crave the release of death

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hey guys long time lurker

Just scrolling through my phone at old pictures, we (hardwood flooring company) did these a couple years ago when my cousin bought her condo in Boston and were constantly trying to find uses for nice excess wood my dad doesn't have the heart to get rid of, sometimes ends up being worth it! Here they are unfinished. Ended up coming out awesome

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 14, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hey guys long time lurker

Just scrolling through my phone at old pictures, we (hardwood flooring company) did these a couple years ago when my cousin bought her condo in Boston and were constantly trying to find uses for nice excess wood my dad doesn't have the heart to get rid of, sometimes ends up being worth it! Here they are unfinished. Ended up coming out awesome

Hiya Shrimp, missed your input during the NBA playoffs. That's some collection of cool hardwoods....and maybe a genus of pine or 2. Say good onya to your dad for me, okay, because that rocks.
Ought to hold a contest to see who can identify the most species

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I know my wife would hate that but I think it looks awesome, thanks for sharing.

Loving that lone purple strip.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Magres posted:

Tres Burrito is your av from Sellers' mallet making videos? Just curious

Someone else got it for me. It's a little tongue-in-cheek I think. this bit

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Tres Burritos posted:

Someone else got it for me. It's a little tongue-in-cheek I think. this bit

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Came across this through Imgur, seems handy, being able to burn a brand without a spendy custom branding iron (custom rubber stamps are pretty cheap.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3K4J7yn7ga0

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

^ I saw that and I'm totally going to give it a try. Seems fun.

Hypnolobster posted:

Got a little farther on my black locust workbench, but the exciting thing was that I got the blacklight I ordered.

That stack of wood on the right is doug fir, red oak, ash and maple. None of that poo poo glows but holy hell the locust is amazing. Pictures don't do it justice at all.
Got the joinery done on my bench. 1 7/8"x 7" apron/stretchers out of Ash and 4x6" legs from a very old red oak beam. I decided to do an apron at the back, since the top is getting bolted on and I don't want it to rack. It was probably really unnecessary, but whatever. Tomorrow is some likely frustrating riving pegs for the drawbore, and then I can finally get the top attached. Also I suppose I should put some kind of finish on it.

I really wanted to use more black locust for the base, but everything I had left was somewhere around 6/4 and that would have looked a little puny. At least the top still glows under blacklight.

The top weighs somewhere around 350 lbs, and the leg assembly is probably another 130 lbs. This is really difficult to move around by myself.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 18, 2017

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Saw this cool car at a toy building workshop. Neat turning feature:

Here's a jig to batch out the taper.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

24" bessey bar clamps, usually $24, have been on sale at Home Depot for $13 for a while now. Well, today they're clearing out any remaining stock and are marking them down to $6 and change. I cleaned out two HDs this morning, the third was already empty. They hadn't even put the stickers up at all of them yet. The sale price doesn't appear online, it only shows up in the store. Go get 'em!

This is the actual clamp, it's NOT the clutch style: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-TG-Series-24-in-Bar-Clamp-with-Wood-Handle-and-4-in-Throat-Depth-TG4-024/204986221

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Bad Munki posted:

24" bessey bar clamps, usually $24, have been on sale at Home Depot for $13 for a while now. Well, today they're clearing out any remaining stock and are marking them down to $6 and change. I cleaned out two HDs this morning, the third was already empty. They hadn't even put the stickers up at all of them yet. The sale price doesn't appear online, it only shows up in the store. Go get 'em!

This is the actual clamp, it's NOT the clutch style: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-TG-Series-24-in-Bar-Clamp-with-Wood-Handle-and-4-in-Throat-Depth-TG4-024/204986221

Thanks for the update, I picked up 6 at the $13 price but will go clean out any left later today.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Return the ones you bought before and then immediately buy them back :p

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
You can get a 24" F-style clamp like that at Harbor Freight for like $2.50, I don't see how those are any kind of deal :psyduck:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Super Waffle posted:

You can get a 24" F-style clamp like that at Harbor Freight for like $2.50, I don't see how those are any kind of deal :psyduck:

I own a ton of the HF bar and F-style clamps and they are excellent.

I just checked their site and they have case clamps now, hell yeah! https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-aluminum-f-style-bar-clamp-60673.html

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 19, 2017

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Could be, I usually avoid HF and Bessey's a fine brand, but I imagine for clamps HF is fine. But at least in my case, HF is like a 40 minute drive each way so there's that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I've always ordered HF online and never had a problem, you do get a goofy-large box when ordering the long clamps though.

I'm pretty sure the clamps sold at Lowes/Home Depot are all made in China as well, so there's no reason for the significantly inflated price.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Super Waffle posted:

While I would normally agree, I picked up one of these last week and it's a hell of a lot more stout than the typical F style clutch type.

I'm not sure that really equates to any additional clamping force however.

Beyond 24" are F clamps worth it anymore? I've had a few projects that need something longer than 24", so I considered picking up 36", but I wasn't sure if they had it in them. I would love a couple of Bessey or Jet parallel clamps, but the price is hard to stomach.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah, harbor freight clutch f-clamps are not nearly the same thing as the heavy duty 4" throat f-clamps Munki is talking about. Completely apples and oranges. Also I've never seen the 24" clamps for 2.50. the 6 or 12" ones yes, but not the 24's

Above 24" due to deflection (even with the much heavier f clamps l) I prefer pipeclamps or the heavy parallel clamps if you have the cash. I think the heavy duty f clamps are probably good to 36" but I don't own any so I can't verify.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Falco posted:

While I would normally agree, I picked up one of these last week and it's a hell of a lot more stout than the typical F style clutch type.

I'm not sure that really equates to any additional clamping force however.

Beyond 24" are F clamps worth it anymore? I've had a few projects that need something longer than 24", so I considered picking up 36", but I wasn't sure if they had it in them. I would love a couple of Bessey or Jet parallel clamps, but the price is hard to stomach.
Assuming these count as F clamps (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/962), then yes. Because I have these, and I'm fairly confident I could use them to crush a car into a cube.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: nm im stupid

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you're looking online, it won't show that $6 price. Also be sure you're not looking at the clutch style.

e: Oh you figured yourself out, good deal.

On the topic of pipe clamps, I would just like to point out that on a 10' length, even a 3/4" pipe clamp deflects pretty heavily. Sigh, but I guess it's okay, I didn't need that much clamping force, just had to force some pieces together a little tightly long enough to get some lateral clamps on the piece. I'm not sure what a better solution would be at that point. 1" pipe? Or maybe something entirely more industrial, some sort of massive press thing or something.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 19, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thank you though! :)

E: drat, my local HD doesn't have them in stock. :rip:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Magres posted:

E: drat, my local HD doesn't have them in stock. :rip:

Pretty sure that's the point of the price cut! ;)

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Slugworth posted:

Assuming these count as F clamps (http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/962), then yes. Because I have these, and I'm fairly confident I could use them to crush a car into a cube.

Aren't those considered parallel clamps?

GEMorris posted:

Yeah, harbor freight clutch f-clamps are not nearly the same thing as the heavy duty 4" throat f-clamps Munki is talking about. Completely apples and oranges. Also I've never seen the 24" clamps for 2.50. the 6 or 12" ones yes, but not the 24's

Above 24" due to deflection (even with the much heavier f clamps l) I prefer pipeclamps or the heavy parallel clamps if you have the cash. I think the heavy duty f clamps are probably good to 36" but I don't own any so I can't verify.

Thanks for the confirmation. I wish I could find at least one more of these on clearance, but I think I'm too late.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Falco posted:

Aren't those considered parallel clamps?

That's what I know them as, but they *are* f shaped, and I've seen them described as such elsewhere. I'm not smart enough to answer definitively.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

On the topic of pipe clamps, I would just like to point out that on a 10' length, even a 3/4" pipe clamp deflects pretty heavily. Sigh, but I guess it's okay, I didn't need that much clamping force, just had to force some pieces together a little tightly long enough to get some lateral clamps on the piece. I'm not sure what a better solution would be at that point. 1" pipe? Or maybe something entirely more industrial, some sort of massive press thing or something.

Do you have a wooden floor in your workshop/garage? Nail/screw wedge shaped blocks to the floor slightly bigger than the object, and drive other wedges in to tighten things up. Or use the wall, or some long planks, etc. Or use ratchet straps. Or improvise some sort of goberge.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Trying to imagine the need for a 10' pipe clamp

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GEMorris posted:

Wardrobe?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

Kitchen uppers. You have a cabinet shop, it's de rigueur.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Kitchen uppers. You have a cabinet shop, it's de rigueur.

I know better than to try to make a living woodworking, but yeah I can see that case for them. Doubt I'd ever need them as a hobbyist.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I've used long clamps to pull deck boards straight while fastening them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GEMorris posted:

Bad Munki posted:

Man, lots of butcher block counters and benches and such around lately. Which is remarkable to me personally, because I'm doing the same drat thing. Mine is going to be 9' long and 30" deep and will be my workbench/desk in a room I'm redoing, just finished the floor and walls actually.

Anyhow, I spent the weekend taking a bunch of money and turning it into dust. This is what roughly 40 gallons of pure walnut chips and dust looks like:

I like that you can see exactly where I switched from the jointer to the planer.

To get all that sweet dust, I started with some rough boards (they'd been skip planed on one side, but that was it), cut them down to a manageable length (no reason not to, since I was going to chop them up anyhow):

Then I planed them down to a thickness:

Found some really nice grain in there!

In fact, some of it I had to save out for other stuff, it was just too nice to chop up:

After that, I cut them into sticks of their final thickness/width:

And then laid them out on the ground because the way I'm doing this is pretty wasteful and I wanted to know just how short I was going to be. I need about 6 more square feet, so like 10 board feet or thereabouts.

Obviously that's not the actual layout. They'll be all spread around so the ends don't line up, and I'll cut some of them shorter than they are now for more of that butcher block style. I mean yeah it's not precisely butcher block style, but it's in the area. I'm probably going to cut a thin dado along the edge of all of them and put a spline in there, kind of faking a tongue and groove assembly. More like tongue and groove and groove I guess, kinky. The alternative is putting in biscuits and that just sounds like a huge fuckin' hassle. Might also rabbet the ends of the boards so the end seams have some face to glue on as well.

Haven't found a better way than a long-rear end pipe clamp to push the ends of the pieces tight together. If I don't clamp them that direction, it ends up being a poo poo glue-up. There's enough friction (I'm putting splines or ribs or whatever they are when they're in an along-grain orientation) between the pieces, and with the glue on, there's enough friction that just whacking the end of a piece doesn't actually press it up nice and tight. So I clamp it the long way until I have the cross clamps on. The whole thing is 9' long, so yeah, 10' clamp. Tried a strap clamp and it just didn't have the force.

Also that last picture isn't really accurate, I then cut them down to shorter lengths ranging from about 8" to 16", and also made a ton more of 'em.

e: Here ya go:

Well I rotated that last one accidentally but I'm too lazy to fix it.

Fortunately I know a guy with a planer that can eat the entire 30" width of this thing at once, so smoothing it down won't be a major ordeal.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 20, 2017

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
You are butt jointing all of those pieces together?

Guess that would necessitate 10' long clamps, it's just not a method I'd ever do personally (I'd just buy wood that is the right length). None of that is meant as a jab btw.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

^ Butcher block is usually butt joined random lengths, or at least big long butcher block tops seem like they usually are.

Unrelated, all the 8/4+ wood I have is either wet or for a planned project except this little black locust slab, so it gets to be the leg vise chop.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GEMorris posted:

You are butt jointing all of those pieces together?

Guess that would necessitate 10' long clamps, it's just not a method I'd ever do personally (I'd just buy wood that is the right length). None of that is meant as a jab btw.

Yeah, it's supposed to have that sorta patchwork look to it, hence the short lengths. And I think if I didn't have them as short pieces, and instead just a massive lamination, it'd look like a walnut bowling lane. Sure it would have been less work, but that just isn't the look I was after. :)

I think it's gonna be pretty lovely when it's done, but boy howdy getting there is a chore.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
That type of butt jointed "butcher block" exists because there are automated machines that can crank it out rapidly from stock that would otherwise go to waste. Before the finger jointing machines used to create it came to be, it wasn't (to my knowledge) a thing that existed. End grain (what I call real butchers block) existed, but the long-grain-made-from-many-small-pieces stuff is an artifact of factory waste reclamation and optimizing utilization of otherwise low-yield lumber.

Again, not knocking what you are doing, I'm just saying it didn't occur to me to manually produce what has historically only been a machine made artifact.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh definitely, it's one of those things that was waste reclamation that became fashionable, certainly. On the flip side, the cost of a 9'x30" slab of the stuff would be pretty drat expensive, and finding one to the specs I need would likely be difficult: it needs to be particularly thick because it's going to span a pretty large gap. Granted, it'll be supported along the entirety of one edge, but I don't want it flexing at the front. Anyhow, yeah, I take no offense, and it was really just one of those crazy hare-brained schemes that I ran with and now I'm committed so here we are! :haw:

And I agree re: end grain being the real butcher's block design, but I'm not sure that this style has another name.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Hey, dumb question, but why is cedar from big box stores never s4s? Every other species is, but they always leave one side of cedar rough. Googling isn't getting me any answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Probably just because people like the rough cut look for a lot of cedar projects.