Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sage is beautiful, has blooms that attract pollinators, isn't attractive to many pests, can tolerate a wide range of light conditions, is drought tolerant, self seeds, and also can survive hellish heat and blizzards in zone 6a.

I love sage. Wrap sardines in sage leaves, dust with flour, griddle, serve with lemon.

If you're a beekeeper, dried sage makes legit smoker fuel that will not kill your bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GEEKABALL posted:

Wrap a largish shrimp in a sage leaf, then a piece of pancetta. Throw it on the grill...

All recipes that end in ellipses will be met with this treatment :colbert:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I mean, it'll get to your butt eventually.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I planted sage, tarragon, and basil. Three different types of seedlings showing up in each pot so what should the seedlings look like so I can kill the intruders?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The Walrus posted:

what kind of stuff do you use sage for? I loved the smell of it everywhere driving through the american west but it never had much of an edible connotation in my mind.

plant update, my tomato plants are loving giant and are the envy of my plot neighbours. I've got 60 year olds coming up to me and asking for tips, these things are beastly and the only info I can pass on is where I got them

I have developed an intense love for sage. It doesn't really grow in my damp grey country, but I have some growing (slowly and poorly) on a windowsill because I go through an absolutely ludicrous amount of the dried stuff.

It's fantastic in stews and soups. Though really, I've started adding it to all kinds of dishes because it's so delicious.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I used to love heaps of crisped up sage and onion on top of pasta with pureed pumpkin/squash, something like this but with more topping:
http://cafejohnsonia.com/2013/10/pumpkin-creme-fraiche-spaghetti-fried-onions-sage.html

All the talk has convinced me to pick up some sage seeds, for my next potted herb!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

I planted sage, tarragon, and basil. Three different types of seedlings showing up in each pot so what should the seedlings look like so I can kill the intruders?

Tarragon? Is it Russian tarragon? That type isn't very good for culinary use. The tarragon you'd usually cook with is propagated from cuttings.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bugger. Yes it is, how do I get better tarragon then? Find someone with one and steal bits?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bugger. Yes it is, how do I get better tarragon then? Find someone with one and steal bits?

Don't they have small plants at the garden store for like $4? (I don't have a key on my keyboard to type your hosed up money symbol, sorry)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

A garden center with a good herb section should have French tarragon. Alternatively you can order a French tarragon plant online. I've done so successfully so I imagine you will also have suppliers who will ship to your area.

French tarragon has smaller leaves that are spaced more tightly than Russian tarragon. When you pinch a leaf off, you should usually smell that anise fragrance, which you won't find with the Russian variety. The French version can propagate itself for division of the root ball once planted in your garden or a suitably large pot, so you will in a year or two be able to split your tarragon into more delicious plants. Honestly I don't know why the Russian type is so common. As far as I know it's not very useful and it's not particularly interesting as an ornamental. Yet nurseries continue to sell it as though it has value in a kitchen garden.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

(I don't have a key on my keyboard to type your hosed up money symbol, sorry)

Hold Alt and type 0163

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Jesus, I hope it doesn't cost 4 pounds for a tarragon start, they're like 2 or 3 bucks around here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hadn't thought of looking to buy a live plant, I'll report back on how much £'s they want for it. Thanks.

By the premise of if you don't want it it's a weed that means anything growing in my tarragon pot is a weed now :v:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Tarragon plug plants are ~Ł5 in most garden shops

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Enfys posted:

Hold Alt and type 0163

Just Google "gbp symbol" or some variant and copy/paste. Learning is for nerds.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have planted my first two Earthboxes! One has two Early Girl tomato seedlings, the other has a Better Boy and a Green Zebra.

Here's hoping I have enough time in the season to have them bear fruit.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

BrianBoitano posted:

All recipes that end in ellipses will be met with this treatment :colbert:

"..." is shorthand for "cook to perfection (this changes everything)"

One week into planting and a mule deer already topped two jalapenos. I cannot be mad at them though, having witnessed them struggling through winters here which can be ultra-brutal. It's just that it is now late spring and they have oh so much variety to choose from in the woods and fields. Oh, one also stripped half the leaves off a fruit tree (cannot recall what fruit it is as I planted a selection and buried the tags under mulch)

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 15, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This chile plant is going loving nuts:

The picture was taken immediately after I picked the very first ripened red one off the plant. I later used it for stir fry which was excellent, and then last night I chopped up a green one to mix into hamburgers. poo poo's spicy.

I think tonight I'll get my first ripe and not hosed-up tomato. It's going on toast with mayo and a little salt.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
One of my Early Girl tomato plants has a couple of stalks with wilting leaves, but the rest are doing fine. Do I clip those stalks off at the main plant or just leave them?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are they on top, bottom? Are they wilty or yellowing?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I thought I planted radishes in this spot on april 25th, but now I've got a bunch of giant mystery plants spreading out everywhere from it. Can anyone identify them?

another picture of how the largest stalk lies naturally, stretching out over 18 inches to the side:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Leaves look like radishes to me, that one with the big flowerstalk has just bolted. It's too hot for them now and they're setting seed. Personally I'd just pull them and see if anything's salvageable, then try again in the fall.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LLSix posted:

I thought I planted radishes in this spot on april 25th, but now I've got a bunch of giant mystery plants spreading out everywhere from it. Can anyone identify them?

Yeah, that's bolted raddish. The'll grow from seed to maturity in 30ish days.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so I've gone from this

to this in about two weeks, holy gently caress I am going to have a poo poo gently caress ton of tomatoes

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Marchegiana posted:

Leaves look like radishes to me, that one with the big flowerstalk has just bolted. It's too hot for them now and they're setting seed. Personally I'd just pull them and see if anything's salvageable, then try again in the fall.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, that's bolted raddish. The'll grow from seed to maturity in 30ish days.

Thank you! I'll just pull them as you suggested.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hell, I leave for three weeks and this thread explodes. Happy gardening weather to all of you!

A few questions. First, I now have a yard and am going to put a ton of it to work growing food crops. I seem to recall someone posting a few garden planning apps a few pages back, but I can't seem to find them now. Do any of you have any favorites? I'm going to get organized over the next few weeks so that I can hopefully get beds built and ready to go in time for late summer planting.

Second, am I correct in assuming these are wild strawberry? If so, my backyard is absolutely covered in them.

Third and most importantly, how can I get squirrels to stop digging in my potted plants? I had a few volunteer willow oak saplings in pots when I moved and now they're all gone. That's a bummer I'm willing to let slide, but now these bastards are digging in every single one of my bonsai pots every single morning. I'm worried they're going to start damaging the roots. I saw the capsaicin discussion a few pages back – if I dump a bunch of cayenne (or something similar) into my pots will it harm any of the plants? In question are a few lemons, blood oranges, mulberry, maple and oaks. And more importantly, will that deter the pesky brutes?

e: Perhaps a better question is will capsaicin powder harm/change the taste of any plants, or is it safe to dump out liberally in all my pots/beds? I'd like to avoid building cages around things if possible, some of my neighbors might not appreciate it and I want to stay on good terms with them for at least a year or so before I start parking old trucks on my lawn and stacking tires in my backyard.

kedo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Not strawberry, but rather the Duchesnea indica, or mock strawberry. They're not harmful to eat, but taste entirely of wet styrofoam and seeds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can put some sort of wire screen over your pots, with enough space for the plants to grow but not for a squirrel to comfortable squeeze through.

I get the impression that squirrels really go for what looks like clean, loose soil. I've tried putting a loose layer of sticks, leaves, etc. on top of pots to make them less appealing. I have no data to support that idea, but it seems like it might help.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
same question but for cats: how do I get them to gently caress off and crap in somebody else's garden?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

coyo7e posted:

Are they on top, bottom? Are they wilty or yellowing?

They are on the bottom of the plant. The leaves at the ends of the offshoots are wilting and the ones closest the main stalk are yellowing and starting to wilt. Those above are healthy and green.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Probs normal wilting due to fungus in the soil.. have you grown peppers or tomatoes in that same plot previously, without changing out the dirt?

It's super duper common but will get to be a progressively worse issue each year. You either need to rotate crops for a couple years or change the soil. Or you can pinch off the yellowed leaves, it won't hurt much for at least a couple more years.. but nightshade related plants just have to deal with it sooner or later.

Also blight resistant grafted tomatoes can deal with it better. But it's just a fact of life with tomatoes. Nothing to stress on.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Squirrel update: I sprinkled cayenne in my pots last night and this morning they were all untouched. Granted I also filled up some nearby bird feeders and the squirrels have been hanging out on them all day, so who knows if the cayenne actually worked or not.

Two more questions:

This looks like some sort of ivy to me. It's growing in a bed that also has what I believe to be ... tomatillos? I'm not sure as I didn't plant them, they're pictured below. If this is indeed just some form of ivy and not a fruiting plant I want to yank it out of the bed.

Second, I'm guessing some sort of insect is munching on my plants. I'm still new to having an actual insect ecosystem in my garden (the one benefit of my old balcony garden was the lack of pests), so really I'm just curious what might be responsible for these holes. There's a nearby rose bush that has similar holes.

drfunk
Mar 15, 2007
Those are tomatillo plants and the damage looks similar to what I've had on my tomatillos from flea beetles. I pruned off the worst of the damaged leaves and used neem oil to get the flea beetle population under control. Some of the larger damage was from Japanese beetles and they really like going after my roses as well. So once again neem oil to the rescue.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

awesmoe posted:

same question but for cats: how do I get them to gently caress off and crap in somebody else's garden?

I can tell what doesn't work: skewers sticking up from the dirt. The cats around here give zero fucks. I even had one cheeky bastard perch on top of my garden box with his rear end hanging over into my little garden and was actively making GBS threads while I walked up to him. The cats 'round here have balls of steel, I tell you whut.

This has worked for me but it's a pain in the rear end to keep reapplying.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Liquid-Fence-Dog-and-Cat-Animal-Repellent/999909953

I think moth balls may work too.

But ultimately, I built walls (and a roof. gently caress birds.) out of wood and chicken wire and enclosed my gardens. This may be what you have to do.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cool! Man I'm going to have more tomatillos than I know what to do with... there are like six of them in this bed.

And roger on neem oil! Much appreciated.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Straw, grass clippings, and pine needles (raises pH, so check soil acidity) are all good. You can put a layer of compost beneath them too.

Pine needles lower pH duder :-\

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
THIS KEEPS HAPPENING ARGH.

I leave town for two days to visit relatives, come back to turn the compost, and apparently I have another new friend.....

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, my bad. I mixed up "raises acidity" and "lowers pH."

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I posted several pages back about wanting to solve the issue of producing too much compost in a one bin system. I've solved that through a small worm farm setup in the basement. It's pretty neat, and effortless. They are eating up our scraps and I'm not filling up the outdoor bin as much and ending up with too much compost than I can use, weighing the tumbler down.

I still end up putting a bunch of things in the (single barrel) composting bin outside. I use composting enzyme additive to speed up the process, but ultimately end up with some material that's not broken down yet. In order to minimize this, I want to do a small second stage setup. For this, I assume all I have to do is get say, a rubbermaid tub and poke some holes in it? The goaI is to stage some of the outdoor compost and end up with some really nice broken down stuff and less uncomposted material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

T.S. Smelliot posted:

THIS KEEPS HAPPENING ARGH.

I leave town for two days to visit relatives, come back to turn the compost, and apparently I have another new friend.....

Nice, my son and dogs smashed some tomatoes around the yard the previous year which resulted in a few "wild" tomato plants for me last year.