Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Blistex posted:

Does anyone have plans for a grape holder that would also work for hot dog chunks?
I'm going to be having a baby in August, so I should start making it sooner rather than later.

I would do a nice board with sharpened pegs sticking up. Then you can stick the grapes and hotdog chunks on so they wont roll away and the child can easily grasp them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

I would do a nice board with sharpened pegs sticking up. Then you can stick the grapes and hotdog chunks on so they wont roll away and the child can easily grasp them.

A pallet board with some rusty nails, check. :v:

Maybe use something like 1/8" dowels instead of sharpened pegs.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No but I wish you had left off the second sentence just to see how people react

Even with the second sentence I still have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A pallet board with some rusty nails, check. :v:

Maybe use something like 1/8" dowels instead of sharpened pegs.

Sounds perfect. Don't forget to post it to your instagram. #Rustic #Pallet #Upcycle

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Building a guitar speaker cabinet. It's my first attempt at a project like this, and I have no training or experience in design or cabinet construction, so I should probably keep things simple.

I have failed to keep things simple. :(

MAKE THEM WALLS:

Layer 1/2" pine ply together, CNC mill out the middle

Cut foam from 2'x2'x1" Foamular (extruded polystyrene insulation) sheets, also with CNC

Combine!

Glue!

Wait 24 hours for adhesive to cure.

Plane CNC sandwich filling to proper thickness:

Forget to take pics of anything but the sides.

TEST FIT THEM MOTHERFUCKERS:

Note the dovetails. The dovetails were a mistake. More on that later.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
:stare:

Without a cnc, that without be absolute hell.

Have you at least built a pre-designed cabinet before?

Small related project: I swapped the main drivers in my bass cab. I totally hosed up and cross-threaded one of the bolts which spun the nut, so I get to Dremel that sucker off and re-do, but it still sounds amazing as-is.

New speakers are Kappalite 3012LF, which give total power handling of 900W and 56 volts, and waaaay more excursion. Super loud!

My wife wants raised garden beds, and we are almost done with the first one. Still need to drive a few bolts, add a center brace, adjust the bricks a bit, add locking sand/river rock/sod, then we can fill and plant. They're basic, but it'll get the job done.

(it's not as sloped as it appears, just a bad picture angle)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

scandoslav posted:

Building a guitar speaker cabinet. It's my first attempt at a project like this, and I have no training or experience in design or cabinet construction, so I should probably keep things simple.

Why pine and not MDF? I thought MDF was the preferred material for speaker cabinets due to the rigidity of the material?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

The Locator posted:

Why pine and not MDF? I thought MDF was the preferred material for speaker cabinets due to the rigidity of the material?

MDF is heavy as poo poo, chips easily on corners, and the fumes/sawdust are super bad for you. Baltic Birch or Arauco are the premium choice, as they are light and strong. Pine ply works too, and should be better than MDF for many applications.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Science Goy posted:

MDF is heavy as poo poo, chips easily on corners, and the fumes/sawdust are super bad for you. Baltic Birch or Arauco are the premium choice, as they are light and strong. Pine ply works too, and should be better than MDF for many applications.

Cool, thanks!

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

The Science Goy posted:

:stare:

Without a cnc, that would be absolute hell.

:agreed: on both counts

The Science Goy posted:

Have you at least built a pre-designed cabinet before?

Nope!

The Science Goy posted:

Small related project: I swapped the main drivers in my bass cab. I totally hosed up and cross-threaded one of the bolts which spun the nut, so I get to Dremel that sucker off and re-do, but it still sounds amazing as-is.

New speakers are Kappalite 3012LF, which give total power handling of 900W and 56 volts, and waaaay more excursion. Super loud!

Nice! I love the idea of neodymium speakers, and get the impression they're a lot more prevalent/accepted in bass cabs than guitar cabs.

Also the power ratings on everything bass-amp-related are insane. Order of magnitude more than (most) guitar stuff.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 4, 2017

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

SUMMON SKELETON

:skeltal:
Skeleton has been summoned. Hail satan.

I forgot to take pics of the in-progress part of gluing the veneers. It was a mess of goopy grey construction adhesive and hella staples to keep said adhesives from expanding too much.

I am an idiot, and I thought that gluing uncut veneers to the walls would be easier than cutting them to shape first. I felt that it'd be a hassle to line them up just right. I did not foresee how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to jigsaw/file/rout them to shape after installation. Guh.

TEST FIT

Close enough to be salvageable despite multiple compounding errors/oversights. Hail satan.

OFFER BLOOD SACRIFICE

HAIL SATAN

BEHOLD

(pre-glue)

During assembly, I discovered that I had not, in fact, made any allowance for the dovetail fits. Several more hours of crying/bleeding/sanding ensued. In the process, I introduced gaps and imperfections that would have made wood glue a poor choice. I opted to go with the construction adhesive again. Due to impatience, I glued all four walls at once. I didn't have enough clamps to clamp all of the walls to the skeleton, so I stapled together what I could and hoped that the dovetails would keep everything more or less in place. Expansion occurred but was minimal. Probably concealable.

This brings us more or less up to date. :toot:

Next: roundover the edges and go to town with wood filler.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 5, 2017

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Given the blood sacrifice, you best be playing metal on that once it's done :colbert:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Trabant posted:

Given the blood sacrifice, you best be playing metal on that once it's done :colbert:

Blood is the price of glory. :black101:

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I built this from March to Mid-May.

Street Legal Italian Ice trailer with freezer, running hot and cold water.
Build Post -
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822477

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Trabant posted:

I didn't want to spam this thread with a hundred photos of my latest idiot project, so I made a standalone thread for it instead. I'll be trying to bring this guy into the 21st century:

I'll post the finished result here, assuming I do finish it :v:

Crosspostin' from my project thread cuz it is, at long last, done!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm working on a small project and I need a little advice. My plan is to build a slightly raised platform for my cats' litter boxes, designed like a pallet with slats for the litter to fall onto a plastic tray for easier clean up. As it is they kick litter all over the basement and I hate it. It's going to be a hella basic design but I can't really get started until I have the plastic tray, as it's the one piece I can't really make out of wood with my meager skills and tool set. I went to Lowes and asked for a shallow plastic tray "like the kind you'd put under a washing machine" and was told they didn't have any thing like that. My question is: What should I be looking for and where would I find it. Something 3 feet square and about an inch deep would be good, but something more rectangular would also work. I'm thinking planters with the holes sealed, maybe replacement dog crate liners, but I really don't know. I figured that someone here may have an idea and I love to tap goon knowledge.

A little more info: I'd like to be able to slide out the plastic tray with all the kicked out litter, so a real large plastic tray would mean less support in the center of the "pallet." I have four cat boxes that I want raised like this, so four rectangular trays, maybe 3'x1.5', would also work. I also plan on adding a backsplash that will keep the litter from hitting and resting up against the wall, instead letting it fall onto the tray. I'm sure there are similar products I could buy but it's summer and I'd like a project. If anyone has suggestions for my idea I'd be interested in hearing them; I might not take them but at least I'm not cutting through I-beams to install a recessed tub or something.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Lowe's should have a washing machine base tub, or a water heater pan, I bought one from them a few weeks ago. No advice on the rest or that but it's weird they said they don't have those.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm working on a small project and I need a little advice. My plan is to build a slightly raised platform for my cats' litter boxes, designed like a pallet with slats for the litter to fall onto a plastic tray for easier clean up. As it is they kick litter all over the basement and I hate it. It's going to be a hella basic design but I can't really get started until I have the plastic tray, as it's the one piece I can't really make out of wood with my meager skills and tool set. I went to Lowes and asked for a shallow plastic tray "like the kind you'd put under a washing machine" and was told they didn't have any thing like that. My question is: What should I be looking for and where would I find it. Something 3 feet square and about an inch deep would be good, but something more rectangular would also work. I'm thinking planters with the holes sealed, maybe replacement dog crate liners, but I really don't know. I figured that someone here may have an idea and I love to tap goon knowledge.

A little more info: I'd like to be able to slide out the plastic tray with all the kicked out litter, so a real large plastic tray would mean less support in the center of the "pallet." I have four cat boxes that I want raised like this, so four rectangular trays, maybe 3'x1.5', would also work. I also plan on adding a backsplash that will keep the litter from hitting and resting up against the wall, instead letting it fall onto the tray. I'm sure there are similar products I could buy but it's summer and I'd like a project. If anyone has suggestions for my idea I'd be interested in hearing them; I might not take them but at least I'm not cutting through I-beams to install a recessed tub or something.

One, Lowes' dude was lying to you - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Camco-Manufacturing-Washing-Machine-Drain-Pan-White/50195165 but the same thing is a couple bucks cheaper at Home Depot.

Two, if you want different sizes other than 30x30, look for developing trays for a darkroom. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Developing-Trays/ci/772/N/4077265212 Some of them even come in sets (since you need four)!

Shop around, but that'll give you an idea of what to look for. I re-purposed ours to go under homebrew fermenting buckets to catch overflow. :)

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I'm making my project for the summer essentially fixing my sunroom. The first order of business is replacing what appears to be painted plywood that sits at the base of plastic windows. Should I replace this with actual treated wood for insulation purposes? I also want to add a pet door to one of the sides.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

some_admin posted:

I built this from March to Mid-May.

Street Legal Italian Ice trailer with freezer, running hot and cold water.
Build Post -
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822477

Very nice.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
My house lacked a street number sign that was actually visible from the street, so I made one. I had someone on Etsy cut the number plate.

Bonus, it lights up at night. There's a solar cell on the back side, which recharges some AA batteries during the day and LED strips between the plate and the wood.

I feel like the post is a little long, I'll probably shorten it when I actually make a permanent foundation. This is more of a test fit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like that a lot and hope you won't mind when I rip off the idea.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Your house number frustrates me greatly. Looks nice though.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Oh, me too. I have to repeat the whole thing in my head every time.

Bad Munki posted:

I like that a lot and hope you won't mind when I rip off the idea.

Not at all

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Dig that a lot, Drape Culture. Did you adhere the strips to the wood or the metal plate?

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Parachute posted:

Dig that a lot, Drape Culture. Did you adhere the strips to the wood or the metal plate?

The strips are attached to the metal plate. I wanted the light to be reflected to someone looking at the sign, not for it to be a primary source. Even so, if you stand on the edge you can still see the strips so I may need to add some baffles there.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Nice work!

plus good luck on your typo house number

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Can you elaborate on the battery/solar charging circuit? I mean, it should be pretty straightforward, I'm just curious about your specifics. I'll probably run low voltage out if I do something like that, but I'm still interested.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

Bad Munki posted:

Can you elaborate on the battery/solar charging circuit? I mean, it should be pretty straightforward, I'm just curious about your specifics. I'll probably run low voltage out if I do something like that, but I'm still interested.

I kind of cheated on the solar part itself. I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVPPFC8, which did everything I wanted. That description doesn't accurately describe when I received, but it was close enough.

I really wanted to build my own, but for the life of me I can't find that housing available anywhere. There's numerous how-tos if you're interested, http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Solar-Circuits/#step4 for example has some circuit diagrams.

As far as the rest of the electronics, out of the solar cell the wires attach to the post with some waterproof connectors, passes through the post and splits into the two LED strips that run down either side of the number plate. I can draw up a diagram later if that's unclear.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No need to reinvent the wheel, especially if it comes with an outdoor enclosure and junk. Enclosures are a pain in the rear end.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Working version of that link for others:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IVPPFC8
(stray comma) :)

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Drape Culture posted:

My house lacked a street number sign that was actually visible from the street, so I made one. I had someone on Etsy cut the number plate.

Bonus, it lights up at night. There's a solar cell on the back side, which recharges some AA batteries during the day and LED strips between the plate and the wood.

I feel like the post is a little long, I'll probably shorten it when I actually make a permanent foundation. This is more of a test fit.

How often does your pizza guy get confused?

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.

wa27 posted:

How often does your pizza guy get confused?

Before this, the only sign marking the street number was up on the corner of the house up the hill. It was only visible from the road from a few angles, so, I'm going to hope this is an improvement.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TheLastManStanding posted:

Seriously wtf. Looks good but who thought that number was ok

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yesterday I decided it was time for the kids to have a sandbox again, we moved last summer and I hadn't built one yet. Couldn't pick a spot, but then realized that the ridiculous tiki bar the previous owners had slapped together could do with an upgrade.

Started opening up the deck in that spot and found a bunch of rot. What even is treated lumber, who knows! Easy to replace, though, and fortunately, the way the deck was built, this raised area was basically plopped on top, which made the structure really easy to adjust for my purposes. I had visions of a certain DIY expert and some ill-fated engineered joists as I did my work. All is well, though, and the new members will outlast the rest of the deck, as it needs a full rebuild anyhow.

With the parts replaced and the recess framed, I replaced the old decking at the bottom. Needed one more board, had to stop for the night.

Heavy duty weed barrier as a liner.

Sand delivered, kids say it's time.

Success! Time for a drink.

Still to do: I saved the original decking planks, I'm going to rebuild them as a lid that can be walked on, effectively disappearing the sandbox when not in use.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Yesterday I decided it was time for the kids to have a sandbox again, we moved last summer and I hadn't built one yet. Couldn't pick a spot, but then realized that the ridiculous tiki bar the previous owners had slapped together could do with an upgrade.

Started opening up the deck in that spot and found a bunch of rot. What even is treated lumber, who knows! Easy to replace, though, and fortunately, the way the deck was built, this raised area was basically plopped on top, which made the structure really easy to adjust for my purposes. I had visions of a certain DIY expert and some ill-fated engineered joists as I did my work. All is well, though, and the new members will outlast the rest of the deck, as it needs a full rebuild anyhow.

With the parts replaced and the recess framed, I replaced the old decking at the bottom. Needed one more board, had to stop for the night.

Heavy duty weed barrier as a liner.

Sand delivered, kids say it's time.

Success! Time for a drink.

Still to do: I saved the original decking planks, I'm going to rebuild them as a lid that can be walked on, effectively disappearing the sandbox when not in use.

That looks like a lovely place to put a hot tub, make sure to cut all the load bearing supports in half

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Incidentally, it is precisely 400lbs of sand...

But yeah, all the load bearing poo poo is still there and untouched. Like I said, the raised thing was basically a platform sitting on top of the actual deck. Made my life easy, for once: I'm constantly finding "interesting" DIY choices from the previous owners, but this time it actually worked out in my favor.

e: lid in place, stealth mode activated, still a worn out garbage deck:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 26, 2017

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

The End.
So, there's no tiki bar anymore?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You will be legendary among neighborhood cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, see above "closed" pic, cats won't even know it's there. Besides, there are no neighborhood cats except our own, we're a little bit rural and there are only half a dozen houses here, only one has cats, and they stay inside. More likely to get a raccoon but they tend to poo poo proudly on hard clear surfaces where all can see and appreciate.

Drape Culture posted:

So, there's no tiki bar anymore?

Some of the previous owner's tourist trap tiki bar kitsch is still there, that'll go in the burn pile next time I have a fire. But the bar itself is out. The tin roof they had up for...ambience? I guess? That's still there as it provides some pretty nice shade/rain cover/debris cover, but the structure is prone to racking so when I rebuild the deck (no ETA on that) it'll all come down.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 26, 2017