Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So 'flood the downstairs neighbors', then, given that the bottom of those stacks is almost always just a cement patio to someone's side door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

New thread title is amazing!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
How about some horrible furniture made out of the worst material?

Cleanliness is a virtue - and utterly impossible.

Does this remind anyone else of that nightclub fire that killed a bunch of people? Wasn't the only set of stairs there made of pallets?

Hope you like splinters!

Hope you hate your ankles!

For when you want to demonstrate to your children how you don't like them - make their bed out of trash.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bonster posted:

Hope you like splinters!

I wanted to build a bed like that, minus the splintery wood (planned on having a properly framed platform with leftover Pergo on top), plus hanging about 7 feet off the floor. Then I realized I'm an Infrastructure Engineer in title only and bought a loft kit that sits on the ground.

Sorry for the non-OSHA. It would have been a spectacular failure, I'm sure.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bonster posted:

For when you want to demonstrate to your children how you don't like them - make their bed out of trash.

I am an idiot and would like to make an ugly bed for my ugly children out of industrial trash. I will use a pallet, which may have been used to haul leaky 55 gallon drums of rat poison and made of wood that may also have been soaked in an industrial pesticide to stop the spread of wood boring beetles.

Also, I don't vaccinate or believe in modern medicine

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

canyoneer posted:

I am an idiot and would like to make an ugly bed for my ugly children out of industrial trash. I will use a pallet, which may have been used to haul leaky 55 gallon drums of rat poison and made of wood that may also have been soaked in an industrial pesticide to stop the spread of wood boring beetles.

If you can think of a simpler way to keep rats and beetles out of my kids' beds, I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But see it's rustic and creative and upcycling. Worrying about things like 'poison' and 'structural integrity' is for the poors.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bonster posted:

Does this remind anyone else of that nightclub fire that killed a bunch of people? Wasn't the only set of stairs there made of pallets?

Hope you like splinters!

Hope you hate your ankles!

Apparently "made out of boards that have never seen a nail in their life" = "made from pallets" for some of those. That sandbox and outdoor planter bench were all new lumber.

That being said, they weren't all completely ugly or impractical. I liked the shed tool holder.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Where do I get these freely available pallets? Do I steal them from a warehouse, or purchase them from an artisan pallet woodwright?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Where do I get these freely available pallets? Do I steal them from a warehouse, or purchase them from an artisan pallet woodwright?

If you're serious, Craiglist or ask at a warehouse. The problem is that pallets come in a shitload of sizes.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Bonster posted:

oh, haha, you've caught me having a dinner of 2 wine, bread, tomatoes, and broccoli

don't worry about the floor it isn't haunted

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I get mine from work, but look on craigslist, and a lot of times you can look at businesses with loading docks, and check for stacks of them out back. If they've got a decent number, there's a good chance they'll let you have some for free.

I mean, I got some that were red oak slats recently, and turned into halfway decent lumber for a couple small projects after processing it a bit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

If you're serious, Craiglist or ask at a warehouse. The problem is that pallets come in a shitload of sizes.

Seems odd to me as I work for a logistics company with many trucks and warehouses, and pallets are returned to the customer or reused until they become sawdust.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

FogHelmut posted:

I get 5 or 6 every year with my wood pellets.

I burn them.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Bozart posted:

oh, haha, you've caught me having a dinner of 2 wine, bread, tomatoes, and broccoli

don't worry about the floor it isn't haunted

The floor is made out of pallets!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I get 5 or 6 every year with my wood pellets.

I misread that and thought "ordering a pallet of pallets to get the free pallet underneath?" :raise:

It's because the only pellets I've ever really encountered were going into or coming out of a rodent.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Seems odd to me as I work for a logistics company with many trucks and warehouses, and pallets are returned to the customer or reused until they become sawdust.

I used to work in warehouse for a smaller hardware and fastener company, maybe 15 employees max. Some orders were big enough to ship out on pallets, but a lot of our orders were small enough to ship out in boxes. We had pallets out the wahzoo. If you're small enough, suppliers don't bother trying to get them back.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Uh, pull down a corner of the tarp and let it waterfall out? Not that difficult to do...

Especially during a heavy rainstorm. "Hey guys, was that an amazing cloudburst this morning or what!"

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Bonster posted:

The floor is made out of pallets!

Oh god is the window trim turning into a pallet too

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Bloop posted:

I misread that and thought "ordering a pallet of pallets to get the free pallet underneath?" :raise:
Buy 10 get 1 free!

I misread it the same way at first.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FogHelmut posted:

I've got three or four in various sizes leaning on the side of my shed from ordering various large things over the last few years. Mostly I wind up ripping a board or two off them every now and then when I need them for something.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

breweries, if you have one nearby. new kegs and bottle boxes and grain arrive on pallets but don't leave on them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Around 100% of "free" pallets that aren't complete poo poo were literally stolen from some company even if the person who stole them doesn't see it that way. You can just buy them too.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I went to Google to see if some loon had gone full hipster and built an entire house out of pallets.

I should have known, there are zillions of people making hideous lean-tos out of chemical-soaked splinter boards.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hehehe land of the free!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Around 100% of "free" pallets that aren't complete poo poo were literally stolen from some company even if the person who stole them doesn't see it that way. You can just buy them too.

The hardwood ones are the best, but most durable (like CHEP) and have a deposit or are reused. The cheap poo poo ones are garbage pine and break if you so much as stand on a slat. They're designed to distribute weight.

I cannot fathom how finishing poo poo wood while assembled is in any way easier than just nailing wood in a slat pattern.

Like anything if it fits with your decor then by all means, just, understand the materials is all I (and probably most of us in this thread) ask

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Who doesn't love the smell of creosote and diesel fumes in their home?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DirtRoadJunglist posted:

Who doesn't love the smell of creosote and diesel fumes in their home?

Never seen a treated pallet but maybe they do that in third-world countries :shrug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kid sinister posted:

I used to work in warehouse for a smaller hardware and fastener company, maybe 15 employees max. Some orders were big enough to ship out on pallets, but a lot of our orders were small enough to ship out in boxes. We had pallets out the wahzoo. If you're small enough, suppliers don't bother trying to get them back.

Try that with CHEP sometime. They'll just send you a bill for pallet rental (or replacement) if they even think think you might have any of their pallets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you get sent pallets, you also get charged for pallets (one way or the other). If your shop has pallets up the "wahzoo" it just means the person running the shop is too god drat stupid to sell them off to someone who'll come pick them up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There's a show called Fixer Upper on Netflix, which has been real hot with the Pinterest crowd for the last couple years.
It's this designer/contractor couple who do extensive remodels on homes in Waco, TX and they're both well thought out and well executed.

Part of the talent and taste of the designer is that she builds things that are appropriate for the style of the house and neighborhood, and does good modernization of existing features on old homes. Whoever has been building homes in Waco through a 50 year span looooooooved shiplap on the walls. Shiplap is where you use cheaper boards nailed in horizontally in rows, overlapping the rows below them.

It became very out of fashion in recent years and most homes have it covered up or painted, but they'll often find a room or two where they have enough material to salvage it and restore the wall. It's neat because it's a feature that is very typical of Waco homes and has a great deal of local character to it.

So now it's a thing for the Pinterest crowd to cargo cult on Fixer Upper and decide that:
They want shiplap in their house, even though no homes in a 800 mile radius have ever been built with it
Nailing boards to the wall counts as shiplap (even when they don't overlap)
Bonus points for using "reclaimed wood", whether actually expensive reclaimed wood or trash pallet wood

It is so weird. It would be like someone deciding they want an adobe ranch house in the middle of Boston.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's just a trend, I don't think it's specifically linked to Waco or one show. Before shiplap it was beadboard.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

canyoneer posted:

It's this designer/contractor couple

We all know Chip and Jo come on.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you get sent pallets, you also get charged for pallets (one way or the other). If your shop has pallets up the "wahzoo" it just means the person running the shop is too god drat stupid to sell them off to someone who'll come pick them up.

Find companies who import from Europe. Place I worked for had super heavy solid wood pallets, used once, that we had a hard time getting rid of. They were all metricified and therefore not standard sizes, and no one wanted the damned things. Retrospectively I should have bought them and flipped them to Etsy types.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

canyoneer posted:

There's a show called Fixer Upper on Netflix, which has been real hot with the Pinterest crowd for the last couple years.
It's this designer/contractor couple who do extensive remodels on homes in Waco, TX and they're both well thought out and well executed.

Part of the talent and taste of the designer is that she builds things that are appropriate for the style of the house and neighborhood, and does good modernization of existing features on old homes.

She's ok but I can't think of one reno they did without one of:

subway tile
an enormous clock
open shelving in the kitchen

She's got her specific style and that's what you get, not something tailored to the house.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Raised by Hamsters posted:

They were all metricified and therefore not standard sizes

:psyduck:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

:911: Love it or Leave it :911:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

blugu64 posted:

:911: Love it or Leave it :911:

I think you're forgetting the most popular option.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Part of the talent and taste of the designer is that she builds things that are appropriate for the style of the house and neighborhood only does French countryside so you better love whitewash and random 'vintage' junk hung around.

Also the houses don't have shiplap; they just add it in to every house they do because Joanna loves it and everyone she designs for goes to her for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
A coworker just had a kid and renovated the nursery with dark blue "shiplap". In a 1970s ranch. Anyway, he didn't have the tools to make shiplap himself, so he had the big box store rip a sheet or two of plywood into 6 inch strips and just nailed that to the wall, spaced slightly apart. I'm 95% sure that entire house is a Pinterest post.

e: phone grammar sucks

Drape Culture fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 21, 2017