Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I can't say I care TOO much but ever since my first kid has reached the age of about 4, I've really enjoyed "synergizing" with him. That is, I've found myself bringing home Lego batman CMFs as a way to get pumped for the movie. Or the voltron toy when we watched Voltron. Or the McDonalds Mario guys when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hit the switch.

So in that light, I will buy these. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Mainly a star wars fan here, but drat. Between the sweet rear end modular and the awesome accessories, I might have to grab me some ninja-go stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are these Lepin sets the factory that makes sets for Lego doing an extra run at night? Or did they just sell old molds to someone else or something.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Someone explain to a noob what a modular is.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShaneB posted:

Someone explain to a noob what a modular is.

Lego's master-level buildings. They form together to make a city street. Hence: "modular".

When is the next CMF set hitting?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Krazyface posted:

Seriously though, this idea I've had forever is to start with a baseplate and just put buildings on top of buildings, one at a time, to make a sort of Lego Kowloon. There's no way I'm ever gonna beat that.

THis is kinda what I do w my kid. Start with a 16x16 plate and let her build a room, then I make one on top of that, then she puts another layer on, etc. Like to do 3 wall rooms and vary which side is open, so that there's something going on all sides for play. Of course it usually ends up like a petting zoo on top of a weapons lab on top of a hair salon on top of a torture chamber on top of an ice cream cafe, but whatever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Your daughter might be a sociopath.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

As long as i made the Rack with pink legs and put a flowery door on the CraGl containment unit, she's fine with it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The idea that people are willing to pay nearly $200 for knockoff Chinese garbage when the original is only 1/3rd more is funny to me.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

veni veni veni posted:

The idea that people are willing to pay nearly $200 for knockoff Chinese garbage when the original is only 1/3rd more is funny to me.
Presell prices tend to be quite a bit higher than the actual sales price on Aliexpress, so it'll come down. But yeah, if you're spending that much money anyway I figure you might as well go for the real thing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

veni veni veni posted:

When "only 1/3rd" is like 120 bucks. That's pretty significant. I'm glad you wipe your rear end with 20s tho

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I've quite a few Lepin/Decool sets. I can assure you they are not garbage and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 2 if I sat it next to the real thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The point is that if you have $200 to blow on Lego you probably have 300 and knockoffs suck.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm normally not too bothered by people buying Lepin even on stuff that's out, but $300 on the third largest set ever made is one of the most aggressively reasonable prices Lego's ever done. Buying the knockoff is kind of a douche move for a really cool set.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cojawfee posted:

Are these Lepin sets the factory that makes sets for Lego doing an extra run at night? Or did they just sell old molds to someone else or something.

They're not the original molds since they don't have the Lego stamp on the pieces. However the quality on them is so high, it very well could be the same factory and they just made two sets of molds, one Lego for during the day and one Lepin for during the night.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Please people stop saying how the Lepin bricks are indistinguishable from Lego. They are different.

Lepin are lighter, cheaper plastic, and the edges and corners are sharp.
1x1x1 pieces are not uniform in size like Lego. If you build a tile mosaic or something, there will be more wobble.
Specialty pieces are often jacked up.

Lepin isn't all bad and most of the stuff is good. But please stop lying about them. The only time to buy Lepin is if a product is out of print.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
So my parents recently gave me some boxes with old toys and stuff after clearing out their garage, including my old Lego sets from the late-80s/early-90s. Decided to build up the old Technic back-hoe, which took a while since I had to dig through a whole tub of pieces from other sets mixed in.

Unfortunately, I'm missing a few small sections of pneumatic tubing and the plastic 'T' that goes between them. What's the best way to go about getting replacements? eBay?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

dphi posted:

So my parents recently gave me some boxes with old toys and stuff after clearing out their garage, including my old Lego sets from the late-80s/early-90s. Decided to build up the old Technic back-hoe, which took a while since I had to dig through a whole tub of pieces from other sets mixed in.

Unfortunately, I'm missing a few small sections of pneumatic tubing and the plastic 'T' that goes between them. What's the best way to go about getting replacements? eBay?

Bricklink.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Lego Ninjago Bagged Minifigs!

Those are some heckin sweet accessories.

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/877889003067850752

That monster man in his pyjamas is wonderful. Ninjago stuff is very hit and miss for me, but when it hits, it loving hits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

They're not the original molds since they don't have the Lego stamp on the pieces. However the quality on them is so high, it very well could be the same factory and they just made two sets of molds, one Lego for during the day and one Lepin for during the night.

I figured they would take older worn out molds and then grind off or fill in the part that says Lego.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
More!

https://twitter.com/lego_group/status/877934340549861376

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://laughingsquid.com/lego-compatible-toy-block-tape/

I'm sure this makes someones day.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

oh man, I kickstarted some business doing this. Nimuno Loops, I think? They are gonna be crushed.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
We just got some, they did a review of another brand on thebrickfan and had a coupon code for Amazon. Haven't put it up yet

There's about a billion different brands of this on amazon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Feenix posted:

oh man, I kickstarted some business doing this. Nimuno Loops, I think? They are gonna be crushed.

You just learned the lesson of "Don't kickstart something that can easily be copied."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Waltzing Along posted:

Please people stop saying how the Lepin bricks are indistinguishable from Lego. They are different.

Lepin are lighter, cheaper plastic, and the edges and corners are sharp.
1x1x1 pieces are not uniform in size like Lego. If you build a tile mosaic or something, there will be more wobble.
Specialty pieces are often jacked up.

Lepin isn't all bad and most of the stuff is good. But please stop lying about them. The only time to buy Lepin is if a product is out of print.

Or maybe we just haven't experienced those issues and aren't being deceitful?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

more still!

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/877979576361783297

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cojawfee posted:

You just learned the lesson of "Don't kickstart something that can easily be copied."

Not a lesson I need learning. I'm not bothered by this revelation... it was 11 dollars. But this sucks for that company.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Especially if you're using Chinese manufacturing! Fidget cubes were available on aliexpress/baba before the Kickstarter even finished.

Assuming the kickstarter creator didn't just find them on ali and then make a campaign around them, like I've seen plenty of times before.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm probably dreaming here, but it would be amazing if Ninjago kept up with the more detailed/grounded style into some smaller sets. Keep all the wacky vehicles and stuff for kids, but basically make it a sci-fi kind of alternative as well to creator/city style sets. Basically stuff that would go with that Ninjago city set except just smaller. poo poo, as long as I'm just making things up it would be rad if they were stackable in some way to just continue the cyberpunk city.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

Especially if you're using Chinese manufacturing! Fidget cubes were available on aliexpress/baba before the Kickstarter even finished.

Assuming the kickstarter creator didn't just find them on ali and then make a campaign around them, like I've seen plenty of times before.

Fidget cubes was one of the few projects that was actually genuine that was immediately copied by someone in China. There is a guy in China who has connections with some factories who got rich by just looking on Kickstarter for things he can quickly get manufactured and sell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Fidget cubes was one of the few projects that was actually genuine that was immediately copied by someone in China. There is a guy in China who has connections with some factories who got rich by just looking on Kickstarter for things he can quickly get manufactured and sell.

Well :capitalism: I guess

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Does anyone know of a good way to clean large sets that have accumulated a lot of dust and dirt (mostly modulars)? I was thinking about doing one building at a time by getting a few bins and soaking each level in its own bin of warm water and mild dish soap and either letting them air dry or use a blow dryer or something. I really don't want to take them all apart.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Take them apart because while the water will get in between bricks it won't properly dry and you'll get weird mold/mildew staining.

Also my May droid bonus that I politely complained about to LEGO service so they sent me one arrived.

From Germany :psyduck: (I'm in Australia and my Saturn V came from NSW)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
A can of air or a good bike pump with a suitable tip? You may be able to jury rig an endless supply of air out of an electric pump for blow up mattresses and some tubing instead of wasting dozens of cans if it is a lot of models.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Donate those sets to orphans and rebuy them NIB so you can have perfectly clean ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've got an architecture set I had displayed near an open kitchen and it has a layer of faint dusty stickiness on it. Boxed it up years ago but I think I might just try throwing it in the dishwasher one of these days in a mesh bag or something.

Don't display your collectible poo poo near a kitchen.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

veni veni veni posted:

I've got an architecture set I had displayed near an open kitchen and it has a layer of faint dusty stickiness on it. Boxed it up years ago but I think I might just try throwing it in the dishwasher one of these days in a mesh bag or something.

Don't display your collectible poo poo near a kitchen.

I think this is part of the problem. We live in a smaller space and there is a little shelf-like feature by the window in the living room, perfect for displaying modular blocks. That said, the place is dust prone and definitely in vicinity of the stove.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sounds really similar to what I had. I had some Lego on a bookshelf built into the wall, and the kitchen was part of an open floor plan with the living room. No matter how clean you keep the place the little particles of oil get on everything and dust sticks to it like glue.

The open floor plan kitchen concept is stupid. Give me walls around the thing so it doesn't stink the whole place up and get microscopic bits of food splatter everywhere.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In some cultures, outdoor kitchens are the norm.