Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

try searching around on that standford plato site, they might have something. though I would assume a lot of it'll be philosophy of religion and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

elbow posted:

This is going to sound so wanky, but I'm looking for a recommendation for a philosophy book that deals with the question of why anything exists at all. I know there are some physics books that deal with this question but I find those a little inaccessible, plus it doesn't answer the question of why physics even exists.

Basically, I get a little anxious when I think about the universe, where it ends, what's outside it, or if it doesn't end how that can even be, as well as about why people exist, and in hoping that a book can help me get a little more comfortable with those thoughts.

Yeah, if you are looking at "why us?" go for Camus or Sartre

If you want "why anything?" I have no clue

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

elbow posted:

This is going to sound so wanky, but I'm looking for a recommendation for a philosophy book that deals with the question of why anything exists at all. I know there are some physics books that deal with this question but I find those a little inaccessible, plus it doesn't answer the question of why physics even exists.

Basically, I get a little anxious when I think about the universe, where it ends, what's outside it, or if it doesn't end how that can even be, as well as about why people exist, and in hoping that a book can help me get a little more comfortable with those thoughts.

Just get The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you want "why anything?" I have no clue

jim holt's why does the world exist? an existential detective story

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really not interested in a religious take on it, maybe I didn't explain myself too well. Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll give those a go!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
I'm looking to buy some sort of morbid nonfiction book for a friend's birthday along the lines of In Cold Blood or HHhH or Devil in the White City. Ideally with some similar kind of veneer of intellectual credibility but I'm open to whatever is compelling without being straight-up tabloid garbage. Thanks in advance for any recommendations

edit: or just digging into subculture weirdness like the first section of Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem would also be welcome

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 27, 2017

Briny Sea Pup
Mar 28, 2010
Wrong thread!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

GimpChimp posted:

I'm looking to buy some sort of morbid nonfiction book for a friend's birthday along the lines of In Cold Blood or HHhH or Devil in the White City. Ideally with some similar kind of veneer of intellectual credibility but I'm open to whatever is compelling without being straight-up tabloid garbage. Thanks in advance for any recommendations

edit: or just digging into subculture weirdness like the first section of Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem would also be welcome

wisconsin death trip

smoke gets in your eyes

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

GimpChimp posted:

2666 by Roberto Bolano

The Veler
Dec 26, 2012
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out who has done the best translation of Omar Khayyam and seemed to run into a wall. For me 'best' would consist of accurate translations as well as being poetically sound/well put together in English. It seems like most things I've read recommend Richard Le Gallienne or Edward Fitzgerald. I see examples of their work but never the same quatrains for a good comparison of styles. I know Fitzgerald is the oldest, or most famous but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Has anyone read Ahmad Saidi's translations?

Anyone with more experience on Omar's work have an opinion on who's work I should read?

Thanks!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

2666 by Roberto Bolano

This is neither nonfiction nor a potboiler with literary pretensions.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is neither nonfiction nor a potboiler with literary pretensions.

Ugh. You know, you're absolutely right; consider me properly shamed. I don't know what I was thinking.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GimpChimp posted:

RE/Search #12: Modern Primitives.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GimpChimp posted:

Deborah Blum's The Poisoner's Handbook might suit your friend.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Possibly Killer of Little Shepherds (early french serial killer defeated by early forensics) or Blood Work by Holly Tucker (early history of blood transfusions, murder, etc). Neither of those may be quite right though.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

GimpChimp posted:

The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Reveled in Death and Detection and Invented Modern Crime - Judith Flanders

Broad reaching and historical, but gets into morbid stuff when discussing individual, influential murder cases. Might be a little too dry in some parts, but it's still pretty cool.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Anyone have any good recommendations for good spooky monster books? I'm working graveyards all week and want to be spooked.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just finished Let the Right One In and recommend it for graveyard duty.

I normally think horror stuff is either uncreative (tropes and jump scares) and lovely or played out and tiresome (Cthuluomgsospoopy and zombiesomglol) but this book wormed its way into my mind and managed to trouble me in a profound manner

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Epic High Five posted:

I normally think horror stuff is either uncreative (tropes and jump scares) and lovely or played out and tiresome (Cthuluomgsospoopy and zombiesomglol) but this book wormed its way into my mind and managed to trouble me in a profound manner

Is it very similar to the movies? I really enjoyed them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

de_dust posted:

Is it very similar to the movies? I really enjoyed them.

I haven't seen the movies, but from what they have been compared to me, the book is the movies with the brake lines cut. More violence, more androgynous tension, more gruesome backstory, more general grossness and brutality

If you liked the movies I can't imagine you not loving the book. It's a surprisingly quick read and will convince you that every single person in Sweden is an alcoholic

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Epic High Five posted:

I haven't seen the movies, but from what they have been compared to me, the book is the movies with the brake lines cut. More violence, more androgynous tension, more gruesome backstory, more general grossness and brutality

True. The Swedish movie does a really good job of paring the book down and capturing the main story line, but it does leave out a fair amount, including my absolute favorite scene of all (which is also easily the scariest part of the novel). I think people who aren't big horror fans might have actually preferred the film because of this.

Thomas Olde Heuvelt's Hex is tight- think classic King without shoe-horned sex scenes- and seems pretty popular with the goon set.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

GimpChimp posted:

The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer

or if you want something <1000 pages, try The Good Nurse by Charles Graeber (though it skews a bit towards the tabloid type stuff)

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Epic High Five posted:

Hex, it's a modern classic.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have a strange request. Can anyone recommend me some good, recent, generic-as-gently caress fantasy? I guess it would technically be epic fantasy, but I'm feeling nostalgic for RA Salvatore and the terrible world of Forgotten realms and Dragonlance novels. It feels like all fantasy has been trying to break free from Tolkien over the last 10 years. Have there been good authors who embraced it and made something interesting from it?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have a strange request. Can anyone recommend me some good, recent, generic-as-gently caress fantasy? I guess it would technically be epic fantasy, but I'm feeling nostalgic for RA Salvatore and the terrible world of Forgotten realms and Dragonlance novels. It feels like all fantasy has been trying to break free from Tolkien over the last 10 years. Have there been good authors who embraced it and made something interesting from it?

Seems like you're asking for two different things. Writers that have embraced the Tolkienesque tropes of fantasy but done so in interesting ways generally wouldn't be called "generic-as-gently caress."

For "generic-as-gently caress" fantasy, you can always look into new stuff by the folks that wrote your favorite Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books; Weis, Hickman, and Salvatore are all still active.

For authors that have done something interesting with fantasy tropes, I recommend Chris Evans's Iron Elves series.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Ornamented Death posted:

Seems like you're asking for two different things. Writers that have embraced the Tolkienesque tropes of fantasy but done so in interesting ways generally wouldn't be called "generic-as-gently caress."

For "generic-as-gently caress" fantasy, you can always look into new stuff by the folks that wrote your favorite Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms books; Weis, Hickman, and Salvatore are all still active.

For authors that have done something interesting with fantasy tropes, I recommend Chris Evans's Iron Elves series.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll looked into Iron Elves.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
I realize this is a niche request, but are there any good novels or short stories told from the perspective of a sweatshop worker?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adib posted:

I realize this is a niche request, but are there any good novels or short stories told from the perspective of a sweatshop worker?

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Looking for something in the same vein as People Who Eat Darkness: Love, Grief and a Journey into Japan's Shadows

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Adib posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC11II/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

This is how I feel about Brandon Sanderson's entire oeuvre, YMMV

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Could someone recommend me some books on aging heroes? Where the old badass comes out of retirement for one more job. It can be fiction/mystery/fantasy etc...

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hughmoris posted:

Could someone recommend me some books on aging heroes? Where the old badass comes out of retirement for one more job. It can be fiction/mystery/fantasy etc...

Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorpe, the book Die Hard was based on. The John McClain character is like 60-something years old.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hughmoris posted:

I read it a while ago so I can't guarantee I'm remembering it accurately, but I think In Hero Years... I'm Dead was pretty decent?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
True Grit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Fantasy-wise, David Gemmell's Legend is the first thing that comes to mind.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Budgie Jumping posted:

Nothing Lasts Forever by Roderick Thorpe, the book Die Hard was based on. The John McClain character is like 60-something years old.

Tiggum posted:

I read it a while ago so I can't guarantee I'm remembering it accurately, but I think In Hero Years... I'm Dead was pretty decent?

Selachian posted:

Fantasy-wise, David Gemmell's Legend is the first thing that comes to mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give these a look.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Franchescanado posted:

Yes.

Also, I forget what you posted initially, but you should probably give Cat's Cradle* Breakfast of Champions or Sirens of Titan a chance as your next novel by him. Neither are as good, but BoC is very funny and has a lot of interesting tangents, and SoT is an interesting exploration of predestination, suffering, and finding meaning within the life you're given.

I'm glad you enjoyed Mother Night, that's one's still my favorite by him.

*saw your post in he Just Finished thread

edited for different recs.

I just finished Sirens of Titan and it was such a good read. That and Mother Night are so awesome, I'm so glad I gave Vonnegut a second try after Slaughterhouse Five didn't interest me much.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any good self help books? Not with super metaphorical stuff like "find yourself" "take control of mind and soul" that stuff just turns me off whenever I read that on the cover of self help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I just finished Sirens of Titan and it was such a good read. That and Mother Night are so awesome, I'm so glad I gave Vonnegut a second try after Slaughterhouse Five didn't interest me much.

Glad you enjoyed it! I always enjoy reading Vonnegut, even Player Piano is a cut above many other novels of it's ilk.

Ulio posted:

Any good self help books? Not with super metaphorical stuff like "find yourself" "take control of mind and soul" that stuff just turns me off whenever I read that on the cover of self help.

Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl.