Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

They're so... beautiful.

:science: :newfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Been looking for an AC15 for a while, wasn't really in a position to buy one though. Then this showed up at my local shop the other day. Went back the next day and put it on layaway.

Would you believe this poo poo was taken with a S7? Its from snapchat though I think

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

codo27 posted:

Been looking for an AC15 for a while, wasn't really in a position to buy one though. Then this showed up at my local shop the other day. Went back the next day and put it on layaway.

Would you believe this poo poo was taken with a S7? Its from snapchat though I think
That is a beautiful and awesome amp and I am loving jealous. Enjoy it!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

sudo rm -rf posted:

I've had the Les Paul for less than a week and I'm already trying to decide what I want to buy next.

what's happening to me.

Maybe you're like and overcompensate for your crippling depression and comical lack of talent by purchasing more and more equipment in the hopes that this one, this one! will give you the talent that you're too lazy to work for?

Or maybe you just like nice guitars.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Oldstench posted:

Maybe you're like and overcompensate for your crippling depression and comical lack of talent by purchasing more and more equipment in the hopes that this one, this one! will give you the talent that you're too lazy to work for?

Or maybe you just like nice guitars.

well there's worse ways to deal with depression

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sudo rm -rf posted:

well there's worse ways to deal with depression

drat loving right dude, have you seen my pedal collection?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

peter gabriel posted:

drat loving right dude, have you seen my pedal collection?

let's see it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

codo27 posted:

Nice, the newer AC15 reissues are fantastic, I have one too

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sudo rm -rf posted:

let's see it

It's not here at the moment :(

Edit: Some of the boxes are though!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

muike posted:

not from Doug Blackmachine but a copy
i would like to subscribe to your blackmachine copy newsletter because every so often i browse reverb looking for one

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have the fiercest Wampler gas lately. I'll probably own a Faux Tape Echo + Ethereal in the next few months.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

peter gabriel posted:

It's not here at the moment :(

Edit: Some of the boxes are though!

i don't know the first way around effects pedals. i have an old ts9 i got like ten years ago. it sounds ok. that's it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sudo rm -rf posted:

i don't know the first way around effects pedals. i have an old ts9 i got like ten years ago. it sounds ok. that's it.

That's all you need tbh, anything else is bought to fill the void of an unfulfilled life on a soul crushing planet

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Professor Science posted:

i would like to subscribe to your blackmachine copy newsletter because every so often i browse reverb looking for one

this one is from ET guitars in australia. look em up on facebook. good work and good prices.
the only names in the blackmachine copy game that i still follow and are probably worthwhile are ormsby and skervesen

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

That's all you need tbh, anything else is bought to fill the void of an unfulfilled life on a soul crushing planet

Says you! I have 40+ pedals to fill the void of an unfulfilled life on a soul crushing planet by annoying people with irritating noises. :smugbert:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have a terrible pedal addiction, but at the same time I can't afford more pedals, so I mostly get to look at the few I still have (after having to sell a bunch to make rent a year or two ago) and wonder if I should trade those in for more other different boxes.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
A year or so ago I had a multieffects thing that I didn't use all too often. Then one day I thought "huh, I need a pedalboard". So I sold a lot of stuff I had laying around and started building this monstrosity. I like it a lot. I have a problem.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I need more pedals oddly.
My board is a working board so while I do have a few they are all basic things like wah, delay, reverb, overdrive compressor etc...
I need to get some that stir my juices a bit, synth pedals, octaves - all that good stuff.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

peter gabriel posted:

I need more pedals oddly.
My board is a working board so while I do have a few they are all basic things like wah, delay, reverb, overdrive compressor etc...
I need to get some that stir my juices a bit, synth pedals, octaves - all that good stuff.

Get one of these:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zry20Lx9uz8

Synth noises, overdrive circuit, drone circuit, pure lunacy.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thorpe posted:

A year or so ago I had a multieffects thing that I didn't use all too often. Then one day I thought "huh, I need a pedalboard". So I sold a lot of stuff I had laying around and started building this monstrosity. I like it a lot. I have a problem.

Do you have two of the same amp?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah, for stereo sound. Do solo bass stuff and it's real nice having stereo.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

I've never been a Les Paul-style guitar guy (ergonomically mostly, but also not so happy with the shorter scale length because I play up high a lot... or used to... and I prefer the longer scale length and the weight balance of the Strat-style/Tele platform) but that is a seriously gorgeous guitar and I love it. Schecter makes some wonderful guitars.

Whew! Glad to hear that. I've played acoustic for years but know very little about electrics. I went with Schecter on the recommendation of a friend who is similarly impressed with them.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
So I bought two used guitars from Guitar Center's website. I had no idea what to expect, but they often have both a better selection and better prices than what I can find locally. Plus with a 45 day return policy (minus the cost of shipping), it seemed like a no brainer.

The first of the two of them arrived last night. The other should arrive tonight.

Well, I definitely know it's not a Taylor.

I honestly had no idea it came with a case.

Cooper seems to like it.

I think Cooper approves!

It is a Hamer XT Double Cut with two humbuckers. I guess that is not a great shot of the finish, but its called transparent black.

Similar to this guy (although I think this is a more expensive model)
https://www.americanmusical.com/Ite...lrXrRoCseHw_wcB

I have really wanted a double cut LP lately. But most of them even used seem to be a minimum of $800. Even then, they aren't always quite what I am looking for. For that much money, it would really have to be what I want. So for about a quarter of that price, I got this guitar with a case (which I didn't expect at all). In honest, what I probably really want, is kind of a McCarty body (double cut, 2 vol/2 tone, switch on the upper bout) with a Gibsony sort of finish and headstock. This is pretty close. but not quite there. But I wanted to give it a shot. I only played one Hamer before and it was very similar, but the upper and lower bouts were more pointy. I think I like the rounded edges of this much better.

And now about the part no one cares about. How does it sound? I only played it through Amplitube 3 into my headphones for about an hour or so, so don't have a huge amount of time with it. But here goes. The pickups sound really loud and boomy. Seems like it is super bassy on my normal settings, especially so on the low E. At first I thought it was just cause the pickups were too high. Lowering them helped some. This is not necessarily bad. I am a blues dad, so I mostly play my pentatonic scales with moderate gain and some cords. But they way it sounded made me want to play some Metallica and Black Sabbath. Not a bad thing at all. Sounded great for both the clean chorusy stuff and the chuggy rifts, through the Triple Rec models. Also played it through the non-Fender licensed Bassman and Deluxe amps, the AC30 TB, and the JTM 45 (I think?) models, and all had the boomy issue. But it still sounds and played great. Could use a bit of a setup, but I can do most of what needs to be done.

I didn't take too many pictures of it, but I can take more if anyone is interested. But one thing I thought was weird was that the bridge saddles looked like plastic. You can kinda see it in the picture. Even on cheap guitars I have never seen plastic bridge saddles. Is it possible it is some sort of graphite saddle? Or is it some cheapo plastic made to look like a graphite saddle? I will have to look at it more.

The other guitar comes in tonight. Little more excited about that. Probably won't even have the time to take it out of the box. But considering their is a heat wave in LA, I have a feeling I will find some time to mess with it over the weekend.

Edit: One thing I meant to mention, I thought this was a 24.75" scale when I bought it, but the American Music link says the current lineup is 25.5". I need to break out my tape measure and double check. Meant to do that last night.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 23, 2017

DrChu
May 14, 2002

According to that link the bridge has graphite saddles, so it's probably the same case with yours.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, for stereo sound. Do solo bass stuff and it's real nice having stereo.

Are those Rumbles? I have a Rumble combo and it's a fantastic amp

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

So the guitar came a little early and my plans for the night got pushed back. So I was able to pull it out right after work.

Epiphone Black Beauty 3, also came with a case.

Not much to say about this yet, except it is not wired the way I would expect a 3 humbucker guitar with a 3 way switch would be wired. It has 2 vol and 2 tone like a typical les paul, but the switch is wired Neck, Middle/Bridge, Bridge. I might consider rewiring that, because seems kinda strange to me. Maybe 3 vol and 1 tone. Or a push/pull always on for the middle humbucker.

These pickups also sound kinda boomy and heavy in the bass. So I think its probably my setup rather than the guitars or pickups. Might just have the input volume up too high.

Edit: Or just turn down the volume on my headphones apparently.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 24, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

You might want to try backing off the pickups a bit. Certain humbuckers can definitely get boomy if they're close to the strings. Extra bonus of potentially having less magnetic string pull and more sustain afterwards.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Aint nothing wrong with having two of the same amps.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Pablo Gigante posted:

Are those Rumbles? I have a Rumble combo and it's a fantastic amp

Yeah, they are fender rumble 100s. Great little amps. Plenty loud for small to medium sized rooms and just over 20lbs weight wise.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Gripen5 posted:

I think Cooper approves!
I had no idea Hamer was back in business after Fender bought and subsequently closed them a few years ago.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

I had no idea Hamer was back in business after Fender bought and subsequently closed them a few years ago.

It's a really nice guitar. I thought I would hate the headstock, but it looks fine in person. I got it used with a case for $250. But I think it is a model from before they closed (has XT next to the Hamer logo). Not sure how it compares to the current lineup. But specs seem pretty close, and it is made in Indonesia like the current ones.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, they are fender rumble 100s. Great little amps. Plenty loud for small to medium sized rooms and just over 20lbs weight wise.

Yeah it's my gigging amp and it can easily keep up with the drums in most rooms, plus with a mic/DI it can work for bigger rooms too. It sounds absolutely fantastic too

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Continuing my crippling archtop addiction, this arrived today.

For the price, it is very good. They could have charged more for it and it would have still been good. It's an Ibanez Contemporary Archtop.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Digging those inlays to the side. That's an interesting look.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thorpe posted:

I've got the same one, actually, and I quite like it. But mine is a lone wolf.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

Continuing my crippling archtop addiction, this arrived today.

For the price, it is very good. They could have charged more for it and it would have still been good. It's an Ibanez Contemporary Archtop.
That's gorgeous. Do you play Jazz Chord-melody style music? If so, that's amazing. I'm studying old rockabilly stuff and that kind of "playing two or more parts at once on one instrument with one set of hands" seems absolutely insurmountable to me!

Are you familiar with the Fender D'Aquisto? If came in a few versions and my Dad gave me an Elite which he got as an anniversary gift from my mother (hint to women everywhere: never try to buy your gear-obsessed S.O. a guitar unless they've secifically said, "I want this model in this color with these options" or you risk them going, "Yeaaaaahhhhh thaaaanks..." *goes out and sources the almost un-obtainable Ultra model and hands the Elite down to the son because it's not like he can sell it!)
Do you know about this guitar? It's Japanese-made.
It's just sitting in my closet waiting to be polished up to remove the swirl marks in the finish. There are two minor dings in the finish that could be solved with the old super-glue trick. I'm just sitting on it, trying to figure out what to do with it. Since it's MIJ it hasn't seemed to appreciate too much in value, but it's very pretty, it sounds great, and it has amazing action. It plays, but I don't know what to do with it!

It's an '86:

All I know about it is that that's all ebony for the bridge, knobs, tailpiece, pickguard, fretboard, and tuners. The pickguard was originally bound but my Dad says the binding started to de-laminate so he had it removed. The bridge pickup isn't stock, it's a Seymour Duncan "SH-2neck 'The Jazz'" humbucker.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Orange CR-3 Micro Crush.

Currently building a Hofner shorty clone (with a maple Strat neck) and I wanted a tiny amp to go with it.

Hasb't arrived yet, but it was dirt cheap.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Gripen5 posted:

Not much to say about this yet, except it is not wired the way I would expect a 3 humbucker guitar with a 3 way switch would be wired. It has 2 vol and 2 tone like a typical les paul, but the switch is wired Neck, Middle/Bridge, Bridge. I might consider rewiring that, because seems kinda strange to me. Maybe 3 vol and 1 tone. Or a push/pull always on for the middle humbucker.

It's the historical way black beauty guitars are wired. The middle and bridge pickups are wired to the same volume and tone pots. I'm not sure why as it seems really inconvenient instead of three volumes, but there you go.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Getting laid off a job has been one of the best things ever.

Most of this has been throughout the last year, '90s Tobias Growler peeking through the left too. Can't emphasize enough my love over these Yamaha monitors, and the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre behind it serves me great, plus it's expandable by ADAT which always kicks rear end!

Bonus organ passed over by a friend's dad. F# doesn't work and the pedals come in when things get loud, but it's been fun though. Hopefully going to open it up and fix some other stuff half-working too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's gorgeous. Do you play Jazz Chord-melody style music? If so, that's amazing. I'm studying old rockabilly stuff and that kind of "playing two or more parts at once on one instrument with one set of hands" seems absolutely insurmountable to me!

Are you familiar with the Fender D'Aquisto? If came in a few versions and my Dad gave me an Elite which he got as an anniversary gift from my mother (hint to women everywhere: never try to buy your gear-obsessed S.O. a guitar unless they've secifically said, "I want this model in this color with these options" or you risk them going, "Yeaaaaahhhhh thaaaanks..." *goes out and sources the almost un-obtainable Ultra model and hands the Elite down to the son because it's not like he can sell it!)
Do you know about this guitar? It's Japanese-made.
It's just sitting in my closet waiting to be polished up to remove the swirl marks in the finish. There are two minor dings in the finish that could be solved with the old super-glue trick. I'm just sitting on it, trying to figure out what to do with it. Since it's MIJ it hasn't seemed to appreciate too much in value, but it's very pretty, it sounds great, and it has amazing action. It plays, but I don't know what to do with it!

It's an '86:

All I know about it is that that's all ebony for the bridge, knobs, tailpiece, pickguard, fretboard, and tuners. The pickguard was originally bound but my Dad says the binding started to de-laminate so he had it removed. The bridge pickup isn't stock, it's a Seymour Duncan "SH-2neck 'The Jazz'" humbucker.

Oh man, that looks awesome. D'Aquistos are amazing guitars with a very rich history and the Fender licensed D'Aquistos are very nice guitars, even if they are not of the same caliber as the ones that D'Aquisto himself built. The Duncan Jazz pickups are surprisingly not that great for jazz...a very bad marketing decision they made calling it that, but in some guitars it can work. And Japanese made guitars are great - that isn't a super desirable guitar like an actual D'Aquisto so it won't appreciate a ton but I bet it is a really nice guitar with a good sound. are you thinking of selling it? If you take up jazz at some point that will be a very capable guitar.

And yeah, chord melody is something I do - it is a lot of uphill climbing but after getting enough chord forms under your fingers it is not as hard as it seems at first. This is a video I did to demo the new guitar with a little chord melody and there are others on my channel too if you dig through it. https://youtu.be/tsCHbaACP-k