Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I will never ever speak ill of someone for berating a towing company employee. Not ever. gently caress all tow truck-related people.

They can be really scummy but it's not the fault of the lady working the front desk and none of the poo poo she was screaming at her about has anything to do with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess I'm never going to visit Fox Sports' website again now that it's 100% video. Good luck to them with that, it's something different at least.

Speaking of Fox Sports, what is happening with Katie Nolan? Her show has been off the air forever and she hasn't had a new podcast since the Super Bowl.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Speaking of Fox Sports, what is happening with Katie Nolan? Her show has been off the air forever and she hasn't had a new podcast since the Super Bowl.

Fox effectively canceled Garbage Time back in January or March (something about how "we believe Katie deserves a better format" or some other corporate bullshit) and there were rumors a while back that ESPN was desperately trying to land her, but that was before the "survival of the least expendable" talent cuts started happening.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN's tried at least a couple times to get Katie. At one point a couple years ago they offered a trade to Fox Sports that would have sent Ian Darke to FS.

Deadspin posted:

In any case, The Big Lead reports today that the proposed mechanism for bringing Nolan from Fox to ESPN was a trade: Nolan to Grantland, in exchange for ace soccer commentator Ian Darke. Apparently the whole thing fell through when Fox asked ESPN to include NASCAR reporter Marty Smith in the deal;

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SI has a fantastic story about Clinton Portis wanting to literally murder the money managers that swindled him

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Looks like MTV News is dead; can The Ringer get back its worthwhile pop culture writers now?

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mtv-news-1202481377/

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Looks like MTV News is dead; can The Ringer get back its worthwhile pop culture writers now?

was about to post this

what a lovely time for online writers

at least one is available

https://twitter.com/mollylambert/status/880162161468637185

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Looks like Holly Anderson got got too. I'd be surprised if any writers of note were still around.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What about Kurt Loder? Still employed? Still alive? I honestly have no clue.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mahoning posted:

What about Kurt Loder? Still employed? Still alive? I honestly have no clue.

https://twitter.com/kurt_loder/status/878686633096359936

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
RIP written language

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Columns are like assholes; everybody's got one and nobody wants to read yours.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Videos are like assholes; everybody's got one and nobody wants to look at yours.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Looks like Holly Anderson got got too. I'd be surprised if any writers of note were still around.

Holly, Ezekiel Kweku, Brian Phillips--they're all gone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
MTV is so good at finding and recruiting talent and then losing that talent in their biennial direction change.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
To be fair nobody was reading it, but I really enjoyed what they were doing. Hope Shrill had some money in the bank for his new baby.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How much younger are they aiming? They already hit the millennial demo really hard, and it's not like tweens and under have any purchasing power for ad buyers...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Inspector_666 posted:

How much younger are they aiming? They already hit the millennial demo really hard, and it's not like tweens and under have any purchasing power for ad buyers...
Tweens are actually a very desirable advertising market because 1) they may not have money but their parents do and tweens ask them to buy stuff, and 2) they grow up into adult consumers and if you get into their brains early you create a loyal customer for the next fifty years (which is why beer commercials are often so cartoony).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

Portis is among the former players eligible to receive benefits from the NFL’s $1 billion concussion settlement, which could entitle him to up to $1.5 million if he shows signs of early dementia and as much as $5 million should he be diagnosed with ALS—but in order to receive even a penny he would have to undergo testing and demonstrate clear symptoms of severe problems. And he’s wary of being evaluated because those tests might reveal that the fog is encroaching just as he has learned to navigate this complicated world. “F--- that concussion money,” he says. “I’m scared. I’m really scared of the results.”

:smith:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

RIP written language

I don't know about that. Just seems like what they were trying to do is being done by a hundred other sites. Everyone was hiring twenty-something to write socially progressive stuff about current events. gently caress, I think even Playboy got in the game too for awhile.

There's still a ton of sites writing stuff. My guess is MTV just decided it was too saturated.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I don't know about that. Just seems like what they were trying to do is being done by a hundred other sites. Everyone was hiring twenty-something to write socially progressive stuff about current events. gently caress, I think even Playboy got in the game too for awhile.

There's still a ton of sites writing stuff. My guess is MTV just decided it was too saturated.

in any case this is alarming

https://twitter.com/AlexPutterman/status/880167440038146048

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wonder if more writers will end up like Sean Mcindoe (downgoesbrown). He splits articles every week between vice/Sportsnet/thn and sometimes the athletic.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

I wonder if more writers will end up like Sean Mcindoe (downgoesbrown). He splits articles every week between vice/Sportsnet/thn and sometimes the athletic.

I wonder if we'll see some go the Patreon route. Nate Duncan put his podcast and other content on it and seems to be doing well.

https://www.patreon.com/DuncanLeroux

We're also seeing a site like The Athletic grow which seems to be aimed at more in-depth coverage of local sports than you'd get from your local paper. Perhaps great writers will move from relying on clickbait to just having a small group of people pay for their content.

For what it's worth it does seem like the quality writers do get hired at other places. The handful of Gawker writers with talent got scooped up and same for Grantland when that was closed down. The good writers from MTV will end up at Vice, Slate, Buzzfeed, or one of those other sites.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Holly can probably go back to SBNation if she wants to do sports again and I'm sure someone will give Phillips a feature writing gig but yeah it sucks. That site was doing really good work.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The first response to Molly Lambert on Twitter is the Deputy Editor from Vice asking to get in touch. The talented ones will land on their feet.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
If somehow the Original Grantland crew got together I would pay at least $10/mo just for access to the website and podcasts.

I can't be the only one willing to pay for good content

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Adun posted:

If somehow the Original Grantland crew got together I would pay at least $10/mo just for access to the website and podcasts.

One of the weird trends is that more and more young people are paying for content. 18% of 18-24 year olds are paying for online news (this is up from 4% in 2016). 20% of 25-34 year olds too.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

One of the weird trends is that more and more young people are paying for content. 18% of 18-24 year olds are paying for online news (this is up from 4% in 2016). 20% of 25-34 year olds too.

I'd like to think we're collectively figuring out that you get what you pay for.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Adun posted:

I believe this used to be called a daily newspaper

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wish Wesley Morris was still reviewing movies somewhere. Seems like he barely puts out anything at the Times except his podcast.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

GoutPatrol posted:

I believe this used to be called a daily newspaper

He said good content

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/880266569116418049

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

xbilkis posted:

How do they feel about The Wire

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/davedoylemma/status/880495547752169472

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/880523862353510400

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Morbid curiosity no doubt drove the remaining clicks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

soggybagel posted:

Morbid curiosity no doubt drove the remaining clicks.

This but unironically, as the Awful Announcing piece included numerous links to foxsports.com

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is a really good story ESPN put up today.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19760676/university-rochester-football-player-kidnapped-tortured-40-hours

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

:stare:

quote:

Kollias says he believes none of this would have happened if the university had cracked down on Smith's earlier drug activities -- and if the Division III coaches he played for weren't so blinded by Smith's football talent. Kollias is especially outraged by how Dan Kyle, the assistant coach, bailed Smith out of jail. Kyle, head coach Scott Greene and university President Joel Seligman all declined repeated requests for an interview. Instead, a university spokeswoman emailed a statement. "Isaiah Smith was a student in good standing up until his arrest," she wrote, explaining that the university, as a Division III school, is not required to drug test its players. She added: "No member of the administration, nor any coaches or University athletics staff members asked Dan Kyle to sign for Smith's release. This was an unusual occurrence."

Kyle no longer works at the university.

ay yo gently caress sports peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ that story :gonk:

SI's Andy Gray got called out hard by writers in general and his own SI colleagues in specific for saying nobody reads any stories over 1000 words