Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Next series of Taskmaster's lineup has been released: Nish Kumar, Sally Phillips, Bob Mortimer, Aisling Bea, and Mark Watson

Not bad imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't care about the young'uns, but Mortimer and Phillips will hopefully make it worth a watch.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Kumar will be amazing

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The line-up of the series just gone lacked somebody who'd get angry and indigent. Hopefully Mortimer and Watson will be sufficiently argumentative.

On other news – Spooks: The Greater Good has hit Netflix.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The greater good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Given the Beeb have failed to deliver any suitable replacement I think it's time they admitted they were wrong and bring it back.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Is Mark Watson the guy who pretends to be Welsh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Bluth posted:

On other news – Spooks: The Greater Good has hit Netflix.

Okay ending but that's about it, iirc.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

tag youre fat posted:

I don't know; if he is, I haven't seen him do it. He's the guy who hosted We Need Answers (with both Alex Horne and Tim Key!), he's got a Radio 4 show, and he's been a guest on a fair number of radio and TV panel shows.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

tag youre fat posted:

He used to be, but not any more

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Trilobite posted:

I don't know; if he is, I haven't seen him do it. He's the guy who hosted We Need Answers (with both Alex Horne and Tim Key!), he's got a Radio 4 show, and he's been a guest on a fair number of radio and TV panel shows.

That was a great show. NI-produced I think? They did a few great shows in Belfast that were hidden gems on iPlayer and never got shown nationally.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay ending but that's about it, iirc.

There's only one reason I was dragged to the cinema to see it, and I suspect it's probably the same for most.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mark Watson was the host of the unforgettable Improvisation My Dear Mark Watson.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I loving love Aisling Bea

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Did anyone watch the new Crystal Maze? I thought it captured the spirit of the original pretty well, although the Crystal Dome looked a bit budget (no moat!)

I loved Ayoade's Golden Hand, an excellent prop and way to avoid actual human contact.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ayoade is a great pick for the role. The celebrity contestants were like 60% annoying though. Hopefully it'll be more fun with regular folk.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was good yeah, Ayoade did a great job as host.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
CBBC is bringing back Raven.

If it is not successful, CBBC will lose a precious life.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Tenebrais posted:

Ayoade is a great pick for the role. The celebrity contestants were like 60% annoying though. Hopefully it'll be more fun with regular folk.

Good rule of thumb is that if you can make it through the celebrity special then you will love the actual show

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

His weird hand thing is weird. Is that so he doesn't have to touch people?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Yes, almost certainly; besides avoiding human contact being a major part of his general comedic persona, I'm guessing the hand was selected as a fun little prop he can wave around to add a little interest to the presentation.

I've never seen any Crystal Maze before this, but it was okay. (Maybe someday I'll get my dream show where Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding team up to solve mysteries.)

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Trilobite posted:

Yes, almost certainly; besides avoiding human contact being a major part of his general comedic persona, I'm guessing the hand was selected as a fun little prop he can wave around to add a little interest to the presentation.

I've never seen any Crystal Maze before this, but it was okay. (Maybe someday I'll get my dream show where Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding team up to solve mysteries.)

So I watched it and the only thing I could think was: 'this is some cheap ripoff of that 90ties french show fort boyard.'
Checked wikipedia, and indeed, it is.

I love Ayoade, but this is a bit too annoying to watch for me.

Your dream show sounds good, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trilobite posted:

(Maybe someday I'll get my dream show where Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding team up to solve mysteries.)
I feel like this is what Dirk Gently should have been. Either one. And I'm not saying which one's Dirk.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Trilobite posted:

I super enjoyed the small touch of him just walking off at the end of the show as quickly as possible as the team celebrates.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you have a spare hour, watch Storyville: Tokyo Girls. It's mostly all :smith:/:unsmith: then ends up :signings: when it ends up with businessmen getting all dreamy at the group made up of ten year-olds.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hey thread, I have to apologise for doubting your recommendations again. Fresh Meat is loving amazing. Blasted the first two series this week, gonna smash the others.

Vod loving rules, Oregon's loving rules. So does everyone else and I miss Sabine.

Also I can still hardly loving believe Josie put a loving hole in someone's loving face

Helpful because all my weekly shows have essentially hosed off recently.

I hope JP gets his orgy eventually

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fresh Meat just about justifies Jack Whitehall's existence. It's pretty good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Raeg posted:

I super enjoyed the small touch of him just walking off at the end of the show as quickly as possible as the team celebrates.

Smoke and Mirrors, Roy.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you have a spare hour, watch Storyville: Tokyo Girls. It's mostly all :smith:/:unsmith: then ends up :signings: when it ends up with businessmen getting all dreamy at the group made up of ten year-olds.

I just had to pause it when I got to the guy saying he wouldn't be interested in them if they were older than 10. :suicide:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah.When the guy who said he had a mediocre life later said he quit his job to start his own business there was at least the sense the of some self awareness but that quickly came crashing down.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

So iPlayer finally made me sign up for an account. They now think I'm an 80 year-old female...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Visited my grandmother this afternoon and had occasion to go up into her roofspace to find something for her; while I was there, I found some old books which used to belong to my dad and uncle when they were wee (amongst other things - my grandmother and late grandfather kept their books up there and I didn't realise Hal Lindsey had written so many End Times prophecy books :stare:). Anyway, here's some of them:

(I'm not sure what "Big Television Books" were but found more than one.)

(I haven't the foggiest what "Woodbinda, Animal Doctor" was because the Wikipedia page is literally one line that says "Woobinda, Animal Doctor is a 1969 Australian TV series produced by Roger Mirams." and nothing else.)

(Was Dad's Army popular with kids in the 70s?)

Sample page from inside that one:

(I know three of these, one of which I can only get as far as "The guy who played Perry Mason".)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 2, 2017

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They look like fairly generic annuals published by World Distributors (Manchester) if some light googling is accurate. Your standard TV tie-in book that people buy kids for Christmas.

Woobinda looks like it was some 1970's kids tv featuring white people who've adopted an Aborigine child. I'm betting well-meaning but now hilariously racist. The theme tune is pretty boss though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's cool but you are really bad at making your camera device focus on what you're actually looking at instead of the bookcase in the background!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'm pretty rubbish at taking pictures.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Did you have to do it quickly before your nan discovered you faffing with her secret poo poo?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nah, it was just a couple of phone pics of stuff that caught my eye while I was rummaging through stuff.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has somebody defaced that TV Quiz book?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, they picked appropriate facial hair for Jimmy Savile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Went to a Taskmaster recording last night. My first TV recording experience! Was a fun time. It started late as hell because during the previous recording Alex Horne got a massive nose bleed. They also swore a ton. Whoever has to edit that is in for a good time.

I also got a round of applause for being from Luton as the warmup act attempted to find out who had come from the shittiest place. I always take Luton's position in these rankings extremely seriously.