Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think people don't give a poo poo if they get a good deal and all the parts are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rythe posted:

The only one I have on your list is the 70709 Galactic Titan, the others i have are 70708 Hive Crawler, 70706 Crater Creeper.

What are you thinking for the Galactic Titan?

Used sets look like they go for 50 to 75 on eBay and Bricklink.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

ShaneB posted:

Is there a typical way people like to purchase used Lego? Like if I want to disassemble something should I do it in reverse order and re-bag it and stuff?

I might be odd but I like to buy crap like this.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Also how much of a price increase over time am I looking at for the UCS TIE Fighter? If it gets discontinued this year, will it pretty quickly skyrocket? I kinda want it but it's also $200 bones after I just got the Saturn V.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShaneB posted:

Is there a typical way people like to purchase used Lego? Like if I want to disassemble something should I do it in reverse order and re-bag it and stuff?

Some people are lazy and just do the minimum in order to pack something up. I enjoy fully disassembling and bagging by section to make it easier to rebuild.

For instance, I am in the process of taking down my modulars. Most have 3 or 4 sections/bags. So it's usually roof, 2nd floor, 1st floor. Sometimes one of those is split, like the Restaurant has a 2 bag 1st floor.

Yep.

Norns posted:

I think people don't give a poo poo if they get a good deal and all the parts are there?

I care because it's harder to figure out if things are missing this way. If you build it from ground up it becomes obvious when something is missing.

ShaneB posted:

Also how much of a price increase over time am I looking at for the UCS TIE Fighter? If it gets discontinued this year, will it pretty quickly skyrocket? I kinda want it but it's also $200 bones after I just got the Saturn V.

Right now is the cheapest you are going to get it. Once it retires it will climb in value depending on demand. Some things climb quickly, others climb gradually.

Also I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3p5Dxx08kM

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Cloks posted:

What are you thinking for the Galactic Titan?

Used sets look like they go for 50 to 75 on eBay and Bricklink.

Sent you a PM to keep the thread cleared of business.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ShaneB posted:

Within a year or so it might stay close to $200 since the price has been as low as $150 (I feel like I’ve seen people pick it up at Walmart for lower even). It’s been 150-160 on amazon for a while but I just checked and it’s 190, probably more people buying since it’s going out soon. After a year or so who knows, but it seems like you can still pick up an X Wing for $250 and it probably has more lasting popularity.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cojawfee posted:

I first started out wanting to make an assembly crane for my Saturn V. Initial testing with the crawler crane I bought showed that I could barely get it to lift the S-II stage. I don't know if I'd be able to build one able to lift the S-IC. So it might morph into just being a launch tower. I have a bunch of red lift arms from the grand prix racer, so I could build those outside the current central section. I also have the tracked bottom of the crawler crane that I might integrate into it, but that thing barely moves with just the crawler crane. I'd have to do a wicked gear reduction.

Speaking of which, here is the new project from the designers of Saturn V:

The launch tower for Saturn V.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Lol come on, it'd be a cool thing to have with the Saturn V and all but there's no way in hell Lego is ever gonna greenlight a giant piece of scaffolding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seriously, just put the LDD out there for anyone that's curious and move on with life.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I like that MOC of the tower someone just posted on the last page. Looks better than theirs, IMO.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Koramei posted:

Lol come on, it'd be a cool thing to have with the Saturn V and all but there's no way in hell Lego is ever gonna greenlight a giant piece of scaffolding.

Yeah, no I just posted it here as a curiosity, I have no expectations that it will be approved by Lego, nor, to be honest, would I really be interested in buying it, unlike Saturn V.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking if Ideas. What do you think will be next? Only one I see that I could see getting approval is ship in a bottle.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

ShaneB posted:

Generally speaking legos don't really skyrocket in price. Everyone freaks out because the 30th anniversary ucs MF lists for 6 grand on eBay or some poo poo so there is this big perception that once you miss out you are hosed. What people overlook is that original price was $500 or so, and you can get it for sub $1000 if you hunt around. Also the mf is the white whale, most sets don't appreciate to that level of value (e.g. Double retail).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ivantod posted:

Speaking of which, here is the new project from the designers of Saturn V:

The launch tower for Saturn V.

I hope they don't think they have a chance in hell of getting this approved. I doubt they will reach 10,000. Even if they do, no way would Lego release a set only works if you already bought another set that's already out of print. Aside from that, it looks really cool. I hope someone releases an LDD or some instructions of a launch tower so I can work on buying the parts over the next however many years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking if Ideas. What do you think will be next? Only one I see that I could see getting approval is ship in a bottle.

Maybe the boat repair shop as a companion to the fishing shop, the street car would be awesome, but yeah, the ship in the bottle would be nice too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really love that 50's diner and the Iron Giant. I know people will complain about another licensed Ideas set, but merch for Iron GIant is almost nonexistent (aside from expensive Mondo stuff and one subpar Pop) and the movie itself deserves wider recognition.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I am hoping for the Iron Giant, I'd love to display it with my other sets. I'd also accept ship in a bottle.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Diner or Tram thanks. Not feeling the rest at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A problem I see with the Ideas program is that people use it to show off their crazy MOCs that are way to complex to get made by Lego. There was some guy who made some lord of the rings buildings but he showed them off as part of some huge Lego diorama he made. It made it to 10,000 but I'm pretty sure people thought they were voting for the whole diorama, which would never get made.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stuff like that is ridiculous, but I'm glad they haven't imposed a piece count limit. I never expected to get a 1500+ piece meter-tall Saturn V, but here we are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only one I could actually see hitting production is the tram. And maybe the boat shop, depending on if Lego is willing to double down. I like the Iron Giant and hulkbuster but don't see it happening. What happened to Voltron? Did that get shot down?

The 50's diner is super cool. I guess after doing the fishing shack it isn't impossible?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I could see Lego doing the Boat Shop as its own thing in the Creator line, take it out of Ideas. You know, like they did with the GB Firehouse.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

veni veni veni posted:

The only one I could actually see hitting production is the tram. And maybe the boat shop, depending on if Lego is willing to double down. I like the Iron Giant and hulkbuster but don't see it happening. What happened to Voltron? Did that get shot down?

The 50's diner is super cool. I guess after doing the fishing shack it isn't impossible?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f9eb3ff9-eff8-42e1-85a5-b7e1107bfedb/official_comments

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They should probably offer people some sort of deal if they have more sets in a theme they've gotten through Ideas.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I want that GTI

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there an easier way to acquire an entire set worth of pieces other than manually bricklinking (I understand this is a word) them? I haven't bought the missing pieces I need for the Curiosity rover yet but I'm already looking at another cool, discontinued, real-life set:

Current price is outrageous compared to RRP and none of the knock-off brands sell this one (as far as I know).

Cojawfee posted:

I hope someone releases an LDD or some instructions of a launch tower so I can work on buying the parts over the next however many years.

The guy who built the tower I posted earlier apparently sells the plans for it. Source

seravid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 6, 2017

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are the brick and mortar lego stores getting new stock of Saturn V or are they a dry well too?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

seravid posted:

Is there an easier way to acquire an entire set worth of pieces other than manually bricklinking (I understand this is a word) them? I haven't bought the missing pieces I need for the Curiosity rover yet but I'm already looking at another cool, discontinued, real-life set:

Current price is outrageous compared to RRP and none of the knock-off brands sell this one (as far as I know).

The guy who build the tower I posted earlier apparently sells the plans for it. Source

I posted my collection earlier in the thread and it has a blue open wheel car. I bricklinked that whole thing since it is a MOC that I bought the instructions for. You basically have to do a bunch of legwork and find sellers on bricklink that have as many of the parts as possible at a reasonable price. It starts off being pretty wasy for common parts, but it gets a bit tricky when your part list starts dwindling down. I forget what the program is called, but there's a program that lets you list all the parts needed in a set and you can use that to check of parts you still need. I used that for the car.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

seravid posted:

Is there an easier way to acquire an entire set worth of pieces other than manually bricklinking (I understand this is a word) them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-NASA-M...SsAAOSw241Yd9M8

That's the easiest way to get all the pieces other than using bricklink.

Bricklink is really easy, though.

1 - search for the set
2 - part out the set
3 - create a wanted list
4 - click buy all
5 - click best value

You can also fiddle around with things until you get the price you like. It really isn't hard and shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I just did it. The auto finder found a total of 3 sellers for $33 total. Would probably be around $5 shipping for each seller for small batches of pieces like this. So call it $50 total.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

smackfu posted:

Are the brick and mortar lego stores getting new stock of Saturn V or are they a dry well too?

They'll get more, but how soon probably depends on how much business the store does.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I posted my collection earlier in the thread and it has a blue open wheel car. I bricklinked that whole thing since it is a MOC that I bought the instructions for. You basically have to do a bunch of legwork and find sellers on bricklink that have as many of the parts as possible at a reasonable price. It starts off being pretty wasy for common parts, but it gets a bit tricky when your part list starts dwindling down. I forget what the program is called, but there's a program that lets you list all the parts needed in a set and you can use that to check of parts you still need. I used that for the car.

Dont do this, bricklink has a feature that lets you part out a set to your wanted list, then you can tell it to work out the best price for all of those parts. The curiosity came out to around £15 if i took out the base and the absurdly expensive pieces attatched to the suspension.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kea posted:

Dont do this, bricklink has a feature that lets you part out a set to your wanted list, then you can tell it to work out the best price for all of those parts. The curiosity came out to around £15 if i took out the base and the absurdly expensive pieces attatched to the suspension.

Has it always had this? I did this a couple years ago but didn't see anything like that at the time. The site does look a bit different since I last used it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Has it always had this? I did this a couple years ago but didn't see anything like that at the time. The site does look a bit different since I last used it.

Not sure when it was introduced but I tried to do something a few years back and you couldnt do it, you needed to go through this complex rigmarole to get it sorted. Now its incredibly easy.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Thanks, the automated part list is exactly what I was looking for. The store auto-finder doesn't seem to work (doesn't select any store), but I can work around it.

Yeah, the Technic steering arms are crazy expensive for some reason. I should have a couple from my old "Rebel Wrecker", but those are gray so maybe I'll just skip them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Kea posted:

Not sure when it was introduced but I tried to do something a few years back and you couldnt do it, you needed to go through this complex rigmarole to get it sorted. Now its incredibly easy.

Well I just looked at my account on there and there was something that had the auto buy super obvious, so it if it existed when I bought my parts, it wasn't easy to find.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Stuff like that is ridiculous, but I'm glad they haven't imposed a piece count limit. I never expected to get a 1500+ piece meter-tall Saturn V, but here we are.
There is a limit, but they've set it pretty high; at 3000 pieces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe the boat repair shop as a companion to the fishing shop, the street car would be awesome, but yeah, the ship in the bottle would be nice too.

I thought they werent taking ideas for licensed themes

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

A 5th Element cab would be awesome, or a scale UCS of the hand they cloned

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought they werent taking ideas for licensed themes

I think the rule was no licensed themes that they'd already licensed.

I want Tintin LEGO.