Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

duz posted:

It was just a shed where the inside walls were doors cut down to cover the insulation.

it's hard to describe but it looked way worse than this description would imply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

fuckin' small towns

well-regarded hvac company:
- professional attitude
- quality installation
- quote was almost exactly final cost
- cleaned up any messes better than i would have
- located and labeled the breaker for what they were working on
- sent me a nice thank you card (i don't give a poo poo but it's a nice gesture)
- invoice for completed job ready about 3 hours after they left, variety of payment options

well-regarded licensed (lol) electrician:
- installed five new breakers, repurposed one, labeled zero (including two brand new runs)
- pulled molding off, didn't put it back, left it stacked in corner with nails sticking out
- quote was semi-accurate, presuming the quote was only for labor (actual cost was about 2x as much)
- took 3 weeks to even get an invoice out of him which ended up being scanned and sent via Facebook, cash only

well-regarded licensed gas fitter:
- did, in fairness, install a functional and safe tankless water heater
- hosed up the exhaust vent flashing on the side of the house and only caulked the sides but not top, water can totally get in
- no idea what e-mail is
- no idea what text messages are
- communicates solely via phone messages i guess?
- flipped his poo poo to the point of nearly calling police after i took a cell phone pic of his mailbox after he said to "leave it with reception" (the business is his house, he told me to come over, i was expected)

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Architect & structural engineer: modern human attitudes to electronic communications (also the only ones that work in offices)
Window fitter: hates email, just about responds to text messages
Electrician: will receive email grudgingly, never got any other means of comms from him, had to explain the A/V/W triangle to him
Builder: email maybe, text message probably, whatsapp instant response

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Can't wait to meet the contractor I can only get hold of on Instagram.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am sure they'd love Snapchat, all evidence of their promises and estimates self-destructing before you get pissed and confront them.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
my favorite subs are the ones who use the cloud quickbooks, click link in email, pay online like any other store.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Once I asked a contractor if he could break up his prices in line items and he just never got back to me. I reckon he just didn't want to do a $1k job at all.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I've only ever had one contractor do line-items more granular than "time, labor, tax".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SoundMonkey posted:

fuckin' small towns

- flipped his poo poo to the point of nearly calling police after i took a cell phone pic of his mailbox after he said to "leave it with reception" (the business is his house, he told me to come over, i was expected)

Can you explain this? I have no idea what happened or why he got mad

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And what's the A/V/W triangle?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think that's supposed to mean what's more often called a VIR triangle (or maybe something similar for power):

Basically Ohm's Law in picture form

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

amps/volts/watts

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Contractors are irritating in that they have so many jobs to choose from, they don't have to adapt to modern business conventions like email, smart phones, or proactive communication.

If Tessa was smart, they would start working on robots that can solder and do tile work.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tunicate posted:

amps/volts/watts

Yeah this, there's probably a better name for it but I'm not an electricker. The younger guy knew what I was talking about, I guess he was closer to his education.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Contractors are irritating in that they have so many jobs to choose from, they don't have to adapt to modern business conventions like email, smart phones, or proactive communication.

Proactive communication is the thing that drives me the most insane. I can deal with almost any setback provided they a) don't promise something unless they're actually going to do it and b) loving tell me if and when they can't do it and not when I call up 2 days after it was due over and over.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Tunicate posted:

amps/volts/watts

Yeah, I had the units read into my head pretty quick, but I've never heard of someone using a triangle for it, even though P=IV is the same setup as V=IR. I guess mainly because power usually comes across as not a concern with anyone I've known outside of a physics/electronics course.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

High Lord Elbow posted:

Part of that is that they regularly work in places without power or data.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hopefully not the first Google result for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_death_triangle

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Hopefully not the first Google result for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_death_triangle

Yeah, I saw that and figured it probably wasn't what was being talked about. :v:

I mean, if it had sounded plausible, I wouldn't have had to ask the question in the first place!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oh man that anchor is one of the first things you learn about when lead climbing. Appropriate for a thread featuring many misunderstandings of the transfer of load.

It was the sparkie's mate that referred to it as a triangle, I was just trying to explain that you could calculate current pretty easily from voltage and power. The only triangles I know are M = m/L and the one with Avogadro's number.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Reminds me of how weirded out I was when I had classmates who always used, for example, E=IR because they were taught to use E for electromotive force instead of V for voltage like I was (as a transfer student to the particular university).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The Bloop posted:

Can you explain this? I have no idea what happened or why he got mad

i guess with the mailbox being part of his house? except his house is also his place of business? i dunno i was just like "ok dude i'll get someone else to inspect it next year i guess"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Partycat posted:

The hardwood ones are the best, but most durable (like CHEP) and have a deposit or are reused. The cheap poo poo ones are garbage pine and break if you so much as stand on a slat. They're designed to distribute weight.

I cannot fathom how finishing poo poo wood while assembled is in any way easier than just nailing wood in a slat pattern.

Like anything if it fits with your decor then by all means, just, understand the materials is all I (and probably most of us in this thread) ask

I've built some great stuff out of pallets and pallet blocking. The hardwood stuff isn't impregnated and tends to be really clear. I even got an A/A Baltic Birch pallet once that I made some really nice boxes out of. Plus, it was all free.

Granted, I didn't just screw pallets together. That just looks terrible no matter what.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I don't know about the quality of construction, but I've been watching this house morphing over the last year or so from an old farmhouse into a mcmansion. Looks like they got just one of each type of window from HD and put them in accordingly.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5545-Berkshire-Valley-Rd_Oak-Ridge_NJ_07438_M66874-09432

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh, terrible fake stone almost makes me angry. No, actually, I think it does make me angry.

I'm trying to figure out why this house near me is listed on Sotheby's. Not only is it ugly, but it's not even unique --
literally that entire block of the road is filled with identical houses. They must work there or something. The site generally skews toward other places like this that I've driven past, or perhaps like this which I will never see unless I buy a drone. (Seriously, check out the views from their deck.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I don't know about the quality of construction, but I've been watching this house morphing over the last year or so from an old farmhouse into a mcmansion. Looks like they got just one of each type of window from HD and put them in accordingly.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5545-Berkshire-Valley-Rd_Oak-Ridge_NJ_07438_M66874-09432

Oh my god that really is worth a look through.

What the gently caress, this can't possibly be a code-legal way to have basement windows

This is fine until you notice the chandelier.

Why would you not extend this over to at least one wall? Also the wall to the right, is that an optical illusion, I can't tell what angle it's at to the wall behind the sink. It's messing with my head.

I like to stare at myself in the mirror while I'm making GBS threads too!

Wait... what the heck? Is this a different bathroom, or... the same one, but it has two vanities/sinks?

e. OK now I see them both, yeah, two different bathrooms. So this house has at least three, I guess.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I didn't even notice that kitchen chandelier when I looked, what in the actual gently caress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just noticed neither toilet has a TP dispenser, hence the TP sitting on top of the tank. Those bathrooms just look super bare-bones. Nice tile work I guess, clean, spacious, but weirdly unfinished, and the vanities just seem super small and weird against so much wall space.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That wall angle looks like a right angle, just distorted by the magic of realtor lenses.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Lots of houses around here have basement windows like that. Maybe code changed and it isn't done on new construction, but it's really normal to see.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

`Nemesis posted:

Lots of houses around here have basement windows like that. Maybe code changed and it isn't done on new construction, but it's really normal to see.

I think the issue is the size, because those look like an emergency means of egress for hobbits only

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Leperflesh posted:

I like to stare at myself in the mirror while I'm making GBS threads too!

What is that rounded lump on the far side of the vanity counter? At first glance I thought it might be a paper towel roll holder or something but that can't be right.

EDIT: Oh duh, it IS a roll of paper towels - to go with that bottle of blue Windex and clean the mirror. Right.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Facetowel

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

canyoneer posted:

I think the issue is the size, because those look like an emergency means of egress for hobbits only

Only needed if there is a bedroom in the basement, and just for that bedroom. The other windows can be tiny or non-existent.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Leperflesh posted:

Why would you not extend this over to at least one wall? Also the wall to the right, is that an optical illusion, I can't tell what angle it's at to the wall behind the sink. It's messing with my head.

This is naught but the finest AssetCampusHousing architecture. Literally every single item in this image is in the bathroom of the lovely housing I currently live in before flying back home.

What this is doing in a standalone house someone built and that is selling for five hundred grand is beyond me.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe they're going to hang (swag?) it from a hook so it's over the center of the room and not so low. But who takes pictures before that gets done? The same person that doesn't move the toilet paper and Windex before shooting the bathroom.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"We have to build the biggest house we can possibly afford, which means we need to make sure everything we buy is the cheapest we can possibly find."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the chandelier is over the peninsula of the counter so it isn't actually in the way. They probably figured since people will be eating there, it should be hung more like a chandelier over a dining room table. Looks bizarre though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It may be over the peninsula (I think you're right) but it's still in the way, it's way too low, even if it were right over the center of a full-size formal dining table. I mean, just picture it: with a chandelier that low over your 18-seat table, how will you fit the comically large flower centerpiece that completely blocks the view of your estranged spouse at the other end of the table? It just doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Is it just me or does the floor to the lower right look uneven/wavy?