Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Way overthinking things.

Don't cook with a Teflon pan in the same room as your bird. Even if you do, the chance of a single exposure harming them is slim to none.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashynn
Oct 14, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Way overthinking things.

Don't cook with a Teflon pan in the same room as your bird. Even if you do, the chance of a single exposure harming them is slim to none.

Huh, everything I was reading seemed to be saying cooking in the same house as the birds at all was a death sentence. Although I guess it's better to make people overly paranoid instead of too lax on that front.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ashynn posted:

Huh, everything I was reading seemed to be saying cooking in the same house as the birds at all was a death sentence. Although I guess it's better to make people overly paranoid instead of too lax on that front.

Well and also, depending on where you are reading, some people are very very intense. I think the people in this thread are probably the most level headed of bird crazies :derptiel:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, that's also a good thing to keep in mind. There are some seriously unhinged bird people out there who only think and speak in hyperbole when it comes to birds

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/879414907556560896

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Shirec posted:

Well and also, depending on where you are reading, some people are very very intense. I think the people in this thread are probably the most level headed of bird crazies :derptiel:

Does this mean I might actually be able to get away with using my non-stick coated rice cooker because loving hell is finding one without hard.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DrakIris posted:

Does this mean I might actually be able to get away with using my non-stick coated rice cooker because loving hell is finding one without hard.

Rice cookers never get hot enough to cause teflon to fume. Just make sure you don't run a defective one, and never run it empty.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Can confirm, we use our rice cooker enough to feed an entire nation, bird is still an rear end in a top hat.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ashynn posted:

It's definitely deadly, but you have to really heat your teflon up to get to the temperature where it's gonna kill them-so rice cooker is fine, hair dryer on low is fine, but non-stick pans that you might forget about less so, that kind of thing.

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, that's also a good thing to keep in mind. There are some seriously unhinged bird people out there who only think and speak in hyperbole when it comes to birds

Just concerned parronts looking out for their fids... :v:

Tendai posted:

Birds transcend language. Also, I always think Steve looks like he is saying "Steve?!" Like how Pokemon say their own name as their sound. Just something about that cockatiel look

He learnt to say I'M A COCKATIEL, both words and as a whistle, and just COCKATIEL! in whistle form seems to have replaced the old wolf whistle as his favourite lately. He fairly reliably replies back when you say it to him too :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

He learnt to say I'M A COCKATIEL, both words and as a whistle, and just COCKATIEL! in whistle form seems to have replaced the old wolf whistle as his favourite lately. He fairly reliably replies back when you say it to him too :3:

Omg please get this on video!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, I think people may exaggerate the dangers of Teflon at home, but I haven't read a lot of bird forums other than this one.

I will say that I worked in an animal research lab and for a while we were constantly losing birds because of ventilation issues. They had to section off a bunch of the ventilation by the birds so that other stuff wasn't venting/spreading in there. But that's a very specific kind of problem in a research lab environment.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

psycho bird

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You haven't experienced pure terror until a Gray sneaks up and bites your toe just because he can.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
[pile o' quotes about teflon]
Thanks for easing my paranoia some, I'm horridly prone to it and a lot of sites were very much hyperbolic, which was nagging at me after I read some thermal decomposition charts for PTFE!

Another dumb we let happen, the leg bands on our birds ended up being cut due to paranoia over them catching, how much did we gently caress up?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

DrakIris posted:

[pile o' quotes about teflon]
Thanks for easing my paranoia some, I'm horridly prone to it and a lot of sites were very much hyperbolic, which was nagging at me after I read some thermal decomposition charts for PTFE!

Another dumb we let happen, the leg bands on our birds ended up being cut due to paranoia over them catching, how much did we gently caress up?

If you never move and you're in the U.S., you're probably ok. Some other countries are stricter about proving parrots' origins (i.e. bred in captivity vs. wild-caught), and without a leg band it's essentially impossible to prove it. If you ever move to another country you could have problems, because many birds are on the CITES list and forbidden from being "trafficked" internationally. For the most part you're probably ok though.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

If you never move and you're in the U.S., you're probably ok. Some other countries are stricter about proving parrots' origins (i.e. bred in captivity vs. wild-caught), and without a leg band it's essentially impossible to prove it. If you ever move to another country you could have problems, because many birds are on the CITES list and forbidden from being "trafficked" internationally. For the most part you're probably ok though.

There is a small chance one or both of us may try to move to canada or to another state. gently caress me.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
You'll be fine, just more paperwork.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I am dreading the day that comes for me and mine, especially with Brexit making it even more difficult

Some dumb pics

HALP

Disco Salmon posted:

Omg please get this on video!

Catching him talking is hard since he's usually pretty shy and likes to do it from another room, or just randomly burbles for a moment out of nowhere. Whistling is more common but still hard to know when he'll do it-have been trying to get it on camera already for a while now! And Inko's talking

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Unusually shaped duckling is continuing to do well, though his sibling sadly didn't make it

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

OH Steve :kimchi:

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Any conure owners have a good and reliable chop recipe? Right now my chop skills are pretty weak and Samba is a little bit spoiled with his food intake. I know what he likes but I want to make sure he's getting a nutritionally balanced meal. He doesn't seem to eat pellets anymore. I think he's transitioned on to the good stuff or I just never notice.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

DrakIris posted:

There is a small chance one or both of us may try to move to canada or to another state. gently caress me.

Moving between US states shouldn't be an issue. Our GCC never had a legband and we've moved GA->VA->NY->WA without issue. I don't think any US states even require registration of pet birds? Idk about Canada

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Pip pip pip posted:

Moving between US states shouldn't be an issue. Our GCC never had a legband and we've moved GA->VA->NY->WA without issue. I don't think any US states even require registration of pet birds? Idk about Canada

My sister got into Canada with a bird from the UK which had never been banded. You have to go through quarantine and fill out a bunch of forms, but you can do it for sure.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Birds sold in Canada don't really seem to be banded. Larger parrots, maybe, but I've never seen a banded cockatiel or budgie.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i feed oats to the cockatoos is that a good food for parrots?

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Not sure why she thought this was a good place to squish her head.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

where the red fern gropes posted:

i feed oats to the cockatoos is that a good food for parrots?

a quick google says its fine

until they grow up strong from the added nutrition you provide them and they beat you up and take your house.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Patrovsky posted:

:derptiel:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket si staying with the birdsitter for a few days while we paint some bedrooms here at the house.

She was all "HEY BABY" to them and ignored me...so yeah :( I think she will have a good time having a sleep over with the other conures. God only knows what they are all teaching each other word wise....sigh

Oh, and to really rub it in, I was asked how she was eating the pellets that I was saying she really didn't touch. As I am telling her about how I keep trying to get her to eat them, Cricket runs over to the food bowl set up for her, and starts munching on the pellets. THE SAME ONES WE HAVE AT HOME. Little poo poo I swear....

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Patrovsky posted:

Oh god, this is every time I put my glasses on, except Yoshi perches on top of them and stuffs his whole face in from the top.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Testikles posted:

Any conure owners have a good and reliable chop recipe? Right now my chop skills are pretty weak and Samba is a little bit spoiled with his food intake. I know what he likes but I want to make sure he's getting a nutritionally balanced meal. He doesn't seem to eat pellets anymore. I think he's transitioned on to the good stuff or I just never notice.

My birds really like broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. I usually use those in conjunction with a few other things. I also usually grind up almonds in a food processor, so they get little treats mixed up in the chop. You can generally use anything you like! Biggest consideration if you are making big batches is how most moisture the veggies have. Something like a bell pepper liquefies when you run it through a food processor, but broccoli is relatively dry. If it's drier, it freezes better and stays better, from what I've experienced.

One way I got my birds to try pellets and veggies more too was to put ground up pellets and chop into jiffy pop corn muffin mix. I'd use that, organic baby food, and an egg. My bird muffins were very popular and it's a good way to not waste pellets.

Horn of Arby's
May 30, 2004
what? no catfood?
https://youtu.be/7CzoekTWTEc

My bird outsmarted cherrios.

(Yes, I know birds can't digest milk. He didn't get any more than this!)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Horn of Arby's posted:

https://youtu.be/7CzoekTWTEc

My bird outsmarted cherrios.

(Yes, I know birds can't digest milk. He didn't get any more than this!)

Oh my god this is so cute. conures :kimchi:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think your bird's trying to Force-Choke you, Nielsm :ohdear:.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

My fascination with birds wearing hats has been rewarded most wonderfully today

I think this is the best one I've seen yet

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Bird seems kind of happy to be wearing that, even

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'm impressed with the accessorizing

Update: the hidey hut has been retired. He started chewing it and rather than deal with the intestinal blockage, I took it out. Kind of a shame because he did like it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Eejit posted:

Bird seems kind of happy to be wearing that, even

Its dreaming of all the fingats its gonna consume in revenge for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
My boy having a kip with his girlfriend (who has since been removed as he was getting a bit crazy)

e: I've just seen a ceres image and it's quite possibly my boy is a girl

iRend fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 10, 2017