Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

So I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on an X-T20, 18-55, and 23 f2. Are there any deals to be had or is B&H/Amazon my best bet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Really enjoying my x-t1, sort of wish I had started using Fuji sooner. Getting used to the size

Looking at a 50-140 now. Is the AF fast when coupled to the x-t1? I know there is a x-t2 in my future but I don't really want to spring for it before I have most of the glass I want. But the cycling world championships is coming to my home town in September and I am getting great access, so if the x-t2 would help me there I guess that is reason enough.

Help me cure my gas, dorkroom. Please?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fjelltorsk posted:

Really enjoying my x-t1, sort of wish I had started using Fuji sooner. Getting used to the size

Looking at a 50-140 now. Is the AF fast when coupled to the x-t1? I know there is a x-t2 in my future but I don't really want to spring for it before I have most of the glass I want. But the cycling world championships is coming to my home town in September and I am getting great access, so if the x-t2 would help me there I guess that is reason enough.

Help me cure my gas, dorkroom. Please?

Compare it with the 55-200 too. Extra reach, sharp, good IS, lighter. If you don't have to have the 2.8 you'll really like it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

torgeaux posted:

Compare it with the 55-200 too. Extra reach, sharp, good IS, lighter. If you don't have to have the 2.8 you'll really like it.

The 55-200 is great. Doesn't have lightning quick focus, though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

bobfather posted:

The 55-200 is great. Doesn't have lightning quick focus, though.

I've found the AF to be quick within range. If it has to hunt, the range is so long it's really an issue.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

torgeaux posted:

Thanks for the tip, but for the situations where I normally shoot with longish lenses I'm often in inclement weather or shooting from a boat. I'm coaching young kayakers, so having weather sealing is a huge plus

Now I started looking at the 100-400 too. drat you Fuji.

I have 135mm and 200mm lenses I use for that stuff now via adapters. But af would be nice I guess

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Trip report: I usually shoot Nikon and Fuji, and know Canon well. A friend of mine asked me to help her set up a product photography studio, with a possible future doing some video. So we bought an A7r2 and a stack of lenses for it.

Holy poo poo, the Sony interface is awful.

I'd heard people bitch about the menus before, but I was unprepared for the level of awfulness all over this thing.

Takes LOVELY pictures, though.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

thetzar posted:

Trip report: I usually shoot Nikon and Fuji, and know Canon well. A friend of mine asked me to help her set up a product photography studio, with a possible future doing some video. So we bought an A7r2 and a stack of lenses for it.

Holy poo poo, the Sony interface is awful.

I'd heard people bitch about the menus before, but I was unprepared for the level of awfulness all over this thing.

Takes LOVELY pictures, though.

I've wanted to throw every sony digital camera I laid my hands on because of the menus. It's as if they really want you to hate the menu system; it's a goal they strive to do better(worse) than anyone else.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Working with Sony's in both the video and stills worlds, I'm fairly certain the menus are designed by junior engineers who've been purposely sheltered away from cameras all of their lives.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The good news is that the menus were completely redesigned in current cameras released in the past year and the successor will have the new menu system.

After the disaster that was the first NEX's interface, the 2012-2015 era E-mount menu system was taken from the A-mount system's menu, which was to be pretty sensible (and had neat features like being able to set and cycle through options just by using wheels). The E-mount guys kept glomming options on to them without rethinking the menus, which made for a lot of clutter and sometimes didn't follow the A-mount's better organization. The E-mount also lacked the quality of life features like the wheel navigation, but that's back in the a6500 and a9.

The new menu has harmonized A- and E-mount, and the E-mount is much more like the A-mount, while improving organization for both.

QuickNavi (on the rear screen) may be helpful if one uses the EVF a lot, and the a7R 2's Fn menu is customizable (along with the new My Menu in the a9).

Olympus has the worst menu of any major manufacturer, though, at least in my opinion. They're the latest target for a menu re-do.

I would suggest your friend refer to Gary Friedman's books on the a7R ii for help and info, as it's basically the best manual out there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does sony still featurelock things behind app purchases?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Does sony still featurelock things behind app purchases?

The only things that are app purchases are gimmicks like the timelapse filter app, or the virtual grad ND app. It's basically like the old Minolta Xi Creative Expansion program cards from back in the film days. The most useful ones, Smart Remote Control, Touchless Shutter, and Sync to Smartphone, are free for older cameras and built in to newer cameras. Time Lapse is built in to newer cameras too. The majority of stuff is things that you could accomplish in post.

The a99ii and the a9 don't support apps.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 6, 2017

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've wanted to throw every sony digital camera I laid my hands on because of the menus.
If you really hate life and everything around you, try Olympus

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
After getting the custom menu setup as I like I hardly ever go into the menus on my a6000. Formatting cards is about all I use it for off the top of my head.

Any app makes the camera perform slow as hell. Maybe not so bad in a monster like the a7II but there's nothing really useful in it that can't be done with a cheepo $20 intervalometer/cable release doohicky.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 7, 2017

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nexxai posted:

If you really hate life and everything around you, try Olympus

I forgot I owned the em10 mk2 for a couple weeks. You are correct.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I never really found any digital camera system very intuitive other than the dials for aperture/exposure

All other controls are either incongruous symbols that designers thought were important for automatic/partial-automatic users but will almost never use because they're going to use them as point-and-shoots anyways.
Or really specific set and forget software features obscured in a menu 2 layers deep.

Fuji's got the right idea for enthusiasts with true positional dials for everything but I find the exposure dial somewhat annoying and would rather use the dial closer to the thumb while looking through the view finder.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 7, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm way new to all this but I've found my X-T20 very user friendly. Except for the wireless download process, that poo poo sucks rear end.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MeruFM posted:

I never really found any digital camera system very intuitive other than the dials for aperture/exposure

All other controls are either incongruous symbols that designers thought were important for automatic/partial-automatic users but will almost never use because they're going to use them as point-and-shoots anyways.
Or really specific set and forget software features obscured in a menu 2 layers deep.

Fuji's got the right idea for enthusiasts with true positional dials for everything but I find the exposure dial somewhat annoying and would rather use the dial closer to the thumb while looking through the view finder.

I only ever set a manual shutter speed on my Fujis if I'm using flash. I just use the AE and adjust the exp comp to taste. Fuji's AR, auto ISO, and AWB are the best I've ever used.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm way new to all this but I've found my X-T20 very user friendly. Except for the wireless download process, that poo poo sucks rear end.

Yeah the app is a pain in the rear end, but less of a pain in the rear end than carrying an SD card reader just for instagram pics imo (which I used to do before wifi bodies).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

8th-snype posted:

Yeah the app is a pain in the rear end, but less of a pain in the rear end than carrying an SD card reader just for instagram pics imo (which I used to do before wifi bodies).

It seems terrible at a surface level, but I am even more frustrated with the fact that I can't download to a NAS. That's just silly.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

It seems terrible at a surface level, but I am even more frustrated with the fact that I can't download to a NAS. That's just silly.

Could you not just download what you want to your phone and have tasker or some other automation app setup to watch the "photo receiver" folder and move those pics to a NAS? I mean I've never tried to do that because I only use the wifi for transferring instagram pics .

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I could. Or I could download to an iSCSI drive on my NAS or download to a local disk and sync it over to my NAS. The problem is all of those solutions suck and why the gently caress can't I download to a network drive?

[Edit: Not frustrated with you, just trying to prove a point.]

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

On a surface level I find the wireless beaming thing pretty usable given I mapped the function to the outer upper right Fn button but I'm not crazy about having to send pictures one by one from the camera. I guess my expectations are low, coming from the way the Canon S110 (p&s) did it.

Maybe there's a better way but I've been too busy dealing with my newborn to learn it so far. I did find the setup guide from johncaz.net to be a great starting point overall though, gave me the basics to just get shooting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wooo 4 wasabi batteries for the EM1 Mkii.

If you drop a 3rd party battery in the body or grip, it'll flash a message of "OLYMPUS BATT. RECOMMENDED" for like 10 seconds, which is actually kinda funny.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
x-t2 talk, have you guys played much with the double exposure function? any good results? I want to try and start using it more just for fun around town stuff and see what I can get away with.

Also, do any of you have an opinion on your favorite thing to map the front function button to?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

MMD3 posted:

x-t2 talk, have you guys played much with the double exposure function? any good results? I want to try and start using it more just for fun around town stuff and see what I can get away with.

Also, do any of you have an opinion on your favorite thing to map the front function button to?

For the front function button, I have it cycle through shutter types; standard mechanical and electronic. Mechanical is best for high movement scenes, no rolling shutter. Electronic is great for creepshottish street photography, as it's completely silent.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
On my xpro2 I have the top button mapped to shutter type and just recently changed the front button to AFC mode selection. I use the shutter all the time when taking portraits wide open in bright sun. I used to have the front button mapped to face detection but I rarely use that and its in the Q menu anyways.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

MMD3 posted:

Focus. My finger hits it perfectly, while my thumb is just off the back buttons.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Wasabi batteries in the mk2 definitely don't last as long as the factory olympus batteries, but they're not slouches and from a spartan race shoot I did yesterday they seem to have about 3/4 the capacity of the Oly ones. The battery gauge seems to hold fairly accurate but will not also show life in a percentage as they do with the factory ones. All in all they're hard to argue with when you get two of them for $30 while one OEM battery is still like $70

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I found a fun (not fun) thing about the electronic shutter. I got hired to shoot a modern opera and assumed it would be under stage lights. They said that they might not want photography because of noise problems since parts of t were very quiet and I explained about the electronic shutter and they loved that. Well I got there and it turned out to be in a fire house with overhead fluorescent lights. Using the electronic shutter made all of these bands of light and dark from the nature of the fluorescents flickering. I explained that when I got there and the composer didn't have an issue but the woman in charge of the performance was a real primadonna and couldn't handle the possibility of noise even though the x-t shutter was much quieter than what they expected from a dslr. So they knew that going into it but now I can't use a lot of the shots for my portfolio because of the drat lights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whoa like an old fire station converted into a theater? That's kinda neat.

I'd be curious to see a couple of the picture just to see what kind of effect you're talking about. I never thought about electronic shutter having issues with florescent lights, although I guess it makes sense now that I think about it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
All rolling-type shutters (whether they are e-shutters or mechanical curtain shutters) can suffer banding or uneven exposure under pulsating LED or flourescent lights. While the x-sync speed on SLRs is generally fast enough to minimize this, mechanical shutters may still need an anti-flicker mode to sync the shutter speed with the pulse frequency of the lights. Instead of getting striping across the frame, higher x-sync speeds will usually result in a large, dim portion of the frame if they are out of sync with the light's frequency. The end result looks like a grad ND.

Electronic shutters (except for the Sony a9 and cameras with global shutters) are very slow, with an x-sync of something around 1/12 to 1/30 on average. This is way too long and banding effects (striping exposure differences) will show up, along with other rolling shutter artifacts. If you used a mechanical shutter that rolled that slowly, it would show the same effects.

In a few years e-shutter readouts will be on par with what most SLRs get (1/200-250 depending on make). The a9 is around 1/160, which is close, but not quite there yet.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've seen that effect before with my A7S in silent shooting mode. Pretty much all you can do is slow down the shutter speed. Streetlights can do horrible things with electronic shutters too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just ordered a Godox TT350o, I'll let you guys know if it works with my E-M5 mk1. :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone else with a 40-150mm f/2.8, are you having issues with the hood? The metal ring on the back of mine keeps popping back off. Wondering if I should just drop some superglue on it to hold it there or what.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I just ordered a Godox TT350o, I'll let you guys know if it works with my E-M5 mk1. :)
Please let us know how the performance and build quality are! I'm thinking of grabbing a TT350F.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

HPL posted:

I've seen that effect before with my A7S in silent shooting mode. Pretty much all you can do is slow down the shutter speed. Streetlights can do horrible things with electronic shutters too.

Yeah, after testing different speeds out before the opera started I ended up settling on a lower shutter speed that minimized it but I couldn't go low enough to completely remove it because motion blur would have been an issue. I'll post a few of the shots tomorrow or Wednesday - I haven't gotten around to processing them yet but I need to in the next couple of days. I didn't know streetlights might be an issue too - good to know.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please let us know how the performance and build quality are! I'm thinking of grabbing a TT350F.

The only reason I didn't already buy the TT350F is by the time Amazon had it in stock for prime shipping it was announced that the trigger comes out like next month. I figured I'd better wait and see if there's good deal on them together.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

rio posted:

I found a fun (not fun) thing about the electronic shutter. I got hired to shoot a modern opera and assumed it would be under stage lights. They said that they might not want photography because of noise problems since parts of t were very quiet and I explained about the electronic shutter and they loved that. Well I got there and it turned out to be in a fire house with overhead fluorescent lights. Using the electronic shutter made all of these bands of light and dark from the nature of the fluorescents flickering. I explained that when I got there and the composer didn't have an issue but the woman in charge of the performance was a real primadonna and couldn't handle the possibility of noise even though the x-t shutter was much quieter than what they expected from a dslr. So they knew that going into it but now I can't use a lot of the shots for my portfolio because of the drat lights.

You gotta love it when the producer/director overrules the drat composer, especially when from the sound of things the environment wasn't quite as acoustically controlled as an actual opera house. Just out of interest what production was this?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

torgeaux posted:

Focus. My finger hits it perfectly, while my thumb is just off the back buttons.

do you mean you set it up for AFL or? I haven't futzed with changing focus buttons yet on this camera (and didn't on my X-T1 either) I probably should try it out as I always shot my DSLR's with focus separate from shutter release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Yeah. My index finger on the shutter, middle finger on the front for focus lock. I used back button on my 5DIII and previous Canons, but that front button is always under that finger.