Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I only figured that out when I read your post explaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe he just really needs some chapstick

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm pretty sure dude just has really dry skin and doesn't moisturize or use chapstick. See: the neck scratching thing he does

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

I'm pretty sure dude just has really dry skin and doesn't moisturize or use chapstick. See: the neck scratching thing he does

Yeah I am thinking it's just this and general poor hygiene. If he had used his decay quirk on his face he would be dead.

Plus it's heavily implied his accidental quirk use was killing his dad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of C9, one thing I really enjoyed about them was that they all had the same base of skills (Rokushiki) and each of them specialized in different techniques among the 6, giving them their own unique fighting style.

Blueno got taken out a bit too early but he used his Devil Fruit to conduct sneak attacks so his attacks could land, and dude seems to have been proud of his Tekkai.
Kaku was the swordsman, so he used a lot of Rankyaku, which was amplified by his giraffe form, and also his own form of Shigan using his nose. He also had a widespread Rankyaku that he could tank with his own Tekkai.
Jabura was able to use his Tekkai offensively by moving while using it. He (and Lucci) also had stronger Shigan than the rest because their animal forms were carnivores with sharp claws / nails.
Kumadori had a ton of Shigan-based skills, including using his staff and even his hair to jab people.
Fukuro had a lot of evasive uses, like turning himself as flat as paper, and floating, and whatnot, and used a punch-based Shigan. He also had his thing with a moving Tekkai, though unlike Jabura's his was more like using Tekkai while moving, instead of moving while using Tekkai.

I don't remember much about Kaliffa. She was mostly about her Devil Fruit I think.

And then Lucci, as the genius, could use all of the arts + the secret final one, and even utilize Kumadori's Life-Return thing.

CP9 were really good.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kumadori was the best thing ever.

I actually liked this last fight but I was expecting punch man's quirk to have some catch to it other than just being "punches really goddamned hard", so the counter to it could be something more creative.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Kumadori was the best thing ever.

I actually liked this last fight but I was expecting punch man's quirk to have some catch to it other than just being "punches really goddamned hard", so the counter to it could be something more creative.

That was one disappointing thing about Rappa, they never actually said what his quirk was did they? Increased strength or speed is the obvious one, but he didn't do anything out of the ordinary for a shounen manga.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aurora posted:

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe he just really needs some chapstick

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I am thinking it's just this and general poor hygiene. If he had used his decay quirk on his face he would be dead.

Plus it's heavily implied his accidental quirk use was killing his dad.

Emmy's thinking he didn't immediately have the Hand of Deconstruction the second his quirk manifested, just like Kirishima.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

E: also the "Oda does it again!!!" stuff I think is kinda overplayed- he gets the benefit of being able to do endless callbacks because he has long since earned the privilege of making One Piece as long as he damnwell pleases. He can go back into the near biblical tome that is the manga sofar and find a molehill to make into a mountain. It's cool that he does (unlike say, Kubo who literally forgets characters exist), but knowing you can just go on forever if you want makes it a pretty safe thing to do.

I've gotta say, having just binged a whole bunch of One Piece recently, that the callbacks are like, the least important thing in any One Piece arc. The recent Cake Island stuff is really really loving good and none of it is because of callbacks or anything, it's all the characters being nutcases and pulling off insane poo poo while under the gun, and then having the gun go off and still getting by with the skin of their teeth. Watching the crew escape certain death is entertaining because Oda spends just long enough showing you how screwed they are, while also setting up how they'll survive in the end without making it obvious.

Horikoshi doesn't really do that. Like, at all. It's been working out well enough in the early chapters when the kids are still learning, their in class or on field trips and mostly reliant on teachers knowing what to do, but this internship is bumping things up to the next level. Or at least, it should be. Honestly though I'm just gonna shut up and wait for this arc to finish.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Emmy's thinking he didn't immediately have the Hand of Deconstruction the second his quirk manifested, just like Kirishima.

He still does the itching thing though

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
whoops, wrong thread

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 18, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The bigger issue is still that his Quirk is Disintegration and that doesn't just make things a little bit dry. Kirishima's a bad comparison because, yeah, accidentally hardening the skin on his hand but not his face would easily leave a scar but Shigaraki accidentally disintegrating part of his face would, well, disintegrate part of his face.

Kid's just a shut-in loser for the most part. This was made super-obvious in his first appearance with him constantly referring to the USJ as a goddamn video game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dragonatrix posted:

The bigger issue is still that his Quirk is Disintegration and that doesn't just make things a little bit dry. Kirishima's a bad comparison because, yeah, accidentally hardening the skin on his hand but not his face would easily leave a scar but Shigaraki accidentally disintegrating part of his face would, well, disintegrate part of his face.

Kid's just a shut-in loser for the most part. This was made super-obvious in his first appearance with him constantly referring to the USJ as a goddamn video game.

One more thing to blame on AFO. He's the one who raised Shigaraki post-dad-disintegration, after all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aurora posted:

He still does the itching thing though

I just don't think it was this powerful at the time it first showed up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Shigaraki's quirk doesn't just disintegrate a whole object, it has a radius, we saw that when he destroyed the doors at UA. Like Kirishima's hardening, it was probably much weaker when it first manifested. There's no reason he can't be a greasy loser with bad personal hygiene and have minor self-inflicted disintegration wounds. Heck, that's probably part of the reason he's so socially isolated!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Begemot posted:

Shigaraki's quirk doesn't just disintegrate a whole object, it has a radius, we saw that when he destroyed the doors at UA. Like Kirishima's hardening, it was probably much weaker when it first manifested. There's no reason he can't be a greasy loser with bad personal hygiene and have minor self-inflicted disintegration wounds. Heck, that's probably part of the reason he's so socially isolated!

I totally forgot about that and didn't think he could turn it off. I just remember when he had Deku by the throat in the mall and threatened to end him there.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RareAcumen posted:

I totally forgot about that and didn't think he could turn it off. I just remember when he had Deku by the throat in the mall and threatened to end him there.

He can't turn it off, it works like Uraraka's where it only goes into effect if he's touching with all five fingertips. When he was threatening Deku, he held out his pinky, which he always does when he's holding something he doesn't want to destroy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Begemot posted:

He can't turn it off, it works like Uraraka's where it only goes into effect if he's touching with all five fingertips. When he was threatening Deku, he held out his pinky, which he always does when he's holding something he doesn't want to destroy.

Derp, I didn't really internalize the part where you said, 'it has a radius' never mind me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think we'll see something interesting with Overhaul because of the whole sick dad thing. How did he, if it was in fact him, cure some random mooks on the street of all chronic illnesses yet he has his supposedly respected yakuza boss dad in stuck bed, one would assume he's just keeping him there to control the organization but something still doesn't add up. I wanna know more about the implied limitations of his quirk. Besides that I don't know how much is because of the crappy translations but at least the expendable dudes really look up to the old man, not chisaki himself (I think the shadowed figure extending a hand to one of them in a micro flashback was in fact the old yakuza guy). As someone also said earlier I like how these admittedly disposable mooks have shown top tier teamwork with their quirks, and some of them are pretty powerful too. Like in the earlier fight the dude who can steal things from a distance instantly would be an hilariously overpowered quirk in the hands of a dedicated pro Hero.

Also I don't know if the wiki is right (it's kinda crap) but it helped me understand Mimic's quirk better and it's pretty interesting. Before being explained I thought he could just produce body parts or something with the big muscle arm (which led me to think he just made the big muscle dude he rode on earlier) but when they explained he possesses stuff I got kinda lost. But it turns out his "little guy" form is just him using his power on a small suit or cloth all the time and the big arm was his actual arm popping out... Probably? I like Mimic.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i kinda assumed him not healing his dad after he saved that mook implied he really really doesnt give a flying gently caress about his family or the old world yakuza bonds

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tomura's excoriation disorder has so far been confined to his neck. Like others said his ability would have started out much weaker. His mouth also has two bigger scars and his lips or lack of look much worse than dry skin. Even if his power manifested at full power he specifically tells Deku that it would take about a minute for him to kill him. He also only takes skin of Aizawa's elbow not his whole arm.

If he did kill his own dad or foster dad then it was unlikely to be a mistake considering his power is pretty slow to kill. I'm 50/50 on if he killed his dad himself or if he lost his dad in the tragedy no heroes/people helped him during and AfO saved him from. I also think AfO orchestrated the tragedy whatever it is knowing he was Shimura's grandson.

Also yeah Tomura can't turn his ability off and it only starts destroying things when all five fingers touch the target. If Overhaul can choose when his Quirk destroys his Quirk is even more powerful again than Tomura's. Overhaul is very much Tomura's Mirio.

E: all that said I could still be totally wrong about his mouth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EmmyOk posted:

Tomura's excoriation disorder has so far been confined to his neck. Like others said his ability would have started out much weaker. His mouth also has two bigger scars and his lips or lack of look much worse than dry skin. Even if his power manifested at full power he specifically tells Deku that it would take about a minute for him to kill him. He also only takes skin of Aizawa's elbow not his whole arm.

No he told Deku it would take about a minute for it to reduce his body to dust. He would die quite early into the decay as his head would fall off from having his neck touched. He only took the skin off Aizawa's elbow cause his quirk was canceled before it did anymore damage. Aizawa only survived because of what his quirk does.

quote:

If he did kill his own dad or foster dad then it was unlikely to be a mistake considering his power is pretty slow to kill. I'm 50/50 on if he killed his dad himself or if he lost his dad in the tragedy no heroes/people helped him during and AfO saved him from. I also think AfO orchestrated the tragedy whatever it is knowing he was Shimura's grandson.

His power kills people pretty quickly. Even if it was weaker and acted slower during his youth, being touched by him is a death sentence, as he does not have to keep touching you for the decay to spread.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

drjuggalo posted:

i kinda assumed him not healing his dad after he saved that mook implied he really really doesnt give a flying gently caress about his family or the old world yakuza bonds

Yeah but everyone there presumably knows his power, it'd be a bit too obvious keeping him sick like that. That's why I guess there's something else to the situation. I mean why not just kill him then.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I've been watching a Yakuza Zero LP and now I'm starting to hope the final fight with Overhaul has him ripping off his shirt to reveal a back tattoo of a crow

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

No he told Deku it would take about a minute for it to reduce his body to dust. He would die quite early into the decay as his head would fall off from having his neck touched. He only took the skin off Aizawa's elbow cause his quirk was canceled before it did anymore damage. Aizawa only survived because of what his quirk does.

His power kills people pretty quickly. Even if it was weaker and acted slower during his youth, being touched by him is a death sentence, as he does not have to keep touching you for the decay to spread.

Yeah, this is right. Remember the chapter where Overhaul killed Magne, we also finally saw Shigaraki get a person with his power without it being canceled. The mook was bloody chunks in seconds.

Edit: Tangent, I have no idea how they're going to animate that when the anime gets there because it would be gruesome as hell in color and motion.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hisoka will show up and turn the mook into magic confetti.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blackheart posted:

Hisoka will show up and turn the mook into magic confetti.

they'll hear him a mile away.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I think the reason why this arc feels weak in comparison to the rest of the series is the lack of personal stake in why the characters are fighting the bad guys. You could argue for Deku and Mirio feeling personally responsible for letting Overhaul keep Eri in his clutches and do whatever to her or the last couple chapters with Kirishima's business, but there aren't a lot of good reasons why everyone else is there other than to have some good back-up against the legions of disposable cronies. That, to me, is a bigger issue than the pacing issues that come with sectioning off everyone to do their own fights and the torture of following that on a weekly basis, because there's hardly anything there to care about from what we know

Compare this to the Stain arc, which happens to be one of my favorite arcs not just for the stake of the students getting stronger through their internships, but because of what Iida goes through. After learning so much about him, and reading up to the point where he confronts Stain, you understand immediately why he wants to kick his poo poo in and why we as an audience should care about it. You understand why he tries to carry out his personal vendetta even when the people around him try to steer him away from that, and it makes the entire arc much more compelling because of what he goes through and how it affects him during and after the fight. As of right now, in this arc, I can't think of a whole lot of reasons to get personally invested outside of Deku and Mirio, who we haven't even seen a whole lot of in awhile, which explains this feeling of "why should I care" surrounding the arc

I'm not gonna go and say this is the worst this manga's ever been because I've still been enjoying it quite a bit (I've been waiting for Kirishima to get his moment in the spotlight forever and I was not disappointed), but I hope this arc can get through all the mook fights as fast as it can so that it'll hopefully get us back on the right track

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda hoping that this bossrush which usually is something reserved for the end of an arc is literally the setup for the meat of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/boku-no-hero-academia/en/0/146/page/5

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess Rappa is pretty cool.

Also, finally the villains I care about are here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess Rappa is pretty cool.

Also, finally the villains I care about are here.

thank christ

and the two best ones, too!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This arc just jumped from 30 to 100 with one page.

Hell yeeeaaah.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The more time passes, the more Kirishima is a real man, and that's what truly matters.

My Manly Academia.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Good stuff.

I wonder if they can combine their powers to make an army of Deku lookalikes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
On the one hand man Rappa's kinda cool and not at all the guy I expected to be the one dropping Villain Plan Exposition. At least one of the disposable losers ended up being pretty great for real.

On the other hand gently caress yeah Toga and Twice! :allears:

bondster
May 6, 2007

Dawwww Kirishima's got his own Shigaraki Tomura now. :3:

edit:

Radish posted:

Good stuff.

I wonder if they can combine their powers to make an army of Deku lookalikes.

I can it see being much more simple than that. Just have them make a couple of Overhaul lookalikes to throw off the trail of the heroes

bondster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 20, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

bondster posted:

Dawwww Kirishima's got his own Shigaraki Tomura now. :3:

edit:

I can it see being much more simple than that. Just have them make a couple of Overhaul lookalikes to throw off the trail of the heroes

Overhaul doesn't seem like the type to give his blood willingly to Toga but if he did that's a good idea for a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if they're gonna burn up Toga and Twice here, or if they're gonna succeed at whatever they're doing and get away.