Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

is?

:effort:

Oh, sorry for asking, gurm. :(

Not my bitch.

Something something lemoncakes
:page1290sniper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
*Looks at wall clock* And ... ten years. Pencils down, fuckwit.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

You know how facebook has that "On This Day" feature? We need a "This day in GRRM".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did he take that post down? It doesn't seem to be there anymore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

counterfeitsaint posted:

He probably realized that the ten years are up and all anyone cares about is if the books will come out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Every morning GRRM wakes up with this quote on his mind.

e: dammit, I tried doing a google search for the old write-up of that guy's grandparents dying before Dance With Dragons came out, but the drat franchise has gotten so popular it's nothing but clickbait articles.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 21, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Elman posted:

I assume they're empty cause Dany's gonna land there and the writers don't give a poo poo.

Is Dragonstone empty too?

Well I guess I called it?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

counterfeitsaint posted:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/17565.html?page=3#comments

Ty must not have been around back then. GRRM was getting truth bombs dropped on him in 2007.

quote:

Re: A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
You took a long time with Feast and that was mediocre. You are missing the point George, it is not just that it is taking a long time, it is that you have lost the thread. Also, no one cares what you are interested in. If you dropped your car off at the mechanic, would it be cool if she took 3 weeks to fix it because she was also into break-dancing? I know that you will counter by saying that you are a writer, and thus an artist, which just shows once again your arrogance. Like it or not, it is your job, and you are asleep at the wheel. You are a prisoner of your own ego, do you realize how moronic that is?
I know you will delete this post because you cannot deal with it. Thanks.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 22, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ASOIAF: Ten years from now, no one is going to care how quickly the books came out. GRRM 2007

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's right. Now that the show is going to finish it I don't care if the books come out.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The best part is that he was convinced he could write three novels in ten years.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

mossyfisk posted:

The best part is that he was convinced he could write three novels

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I've seen this mentioned in several places recently, I don't know where it comes from as it is never implied that dragonfire is a component in valyrian steel forging.

It's called dragonsteel in some places but if we assume that lightbringer is the first valyrian steel sword then it predates the rise of valyria and the arrival of dragons to westeros by several thousands of years. And it also implies that human sacrifice really is the magical ingredient.

There's nothing that suggest Lightbringer is Valarian steel though. Just that it was a magic sword. There's also Dawn which is a similarly high quality weapon but it's of an entirely different origin.

Considering that Valarian Steel is literally Magic Damascus, and IIRC the blacksmith who melts down Ice to make swords for Tywin tells him they can make steel of similar appearance but can't figure out the final step, it's either going to be "forge the weapon using dragon breath" or "use a unique metal found in Valaria (and also probably dragon breath)."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mossyfisk posted:

The best part is that he was convinced he could write.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's nothing that suggest Lightbringer is Valarian steel though. Just that it was a magic sword. There's also Dawn which is a similarly high quality weapon but it's of an entirely different origin.

Considering that Valarian Steel is literally Magic Damascus, and IIRC the blacksmith who melts down Ice to make swords for Tywin tells him they can make steel of similar appearance but can't figure out the final step, it's either going to be "forge the weapon using dragon breath" or "use a unique metal found in Valaria (and also probably dragon breath)."

The only connection is that the Light Bringer is a weapon forged to fight the others and as we've learned from the show it would seem that Valyrian steel very much fits the bill. We also know for a fact that Valyrians were super into human sacrifice. Tobho Mott fails to forge valyrian steel cause he doesn't try to quench with a human heart, etc.

Jon has a vision of himself fighting others using a glowing sword, my bet is that this sword is longclaw and that in the tolkien fashion valyrian steel literally glows in the presence of others.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only connection is that the Light Bringer is a weapon forged to fight the others and as we've learned from the show it would seem that Valyrian steel very much fits the bill. We also know for a fact that Valyrians were super into human sacrifice. Tobho Mott fails to forge valyrian steel cause he doesn't try to quench with a human heart, etc.

Jon has a vision of himself fighting others using a glowing sword, my bet is that this sword is longclaw and that in the tolkien fashion valyrian steel literally glows in the presence of others.

If this were the case then Longclaw would have already started glowing during any encounter with the Others, and I don't believe it has?

Good Lord, there are some insane theories about Longclaw on the Internet. Of course, there are some insane theories about literally everything pertaining to these books.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I just will thank GRRM for writing 3 very awesome books that has lead to an, overall, very awesome show with hiccups here and there. And thank god someone's gonna give us an ending at least.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
As much as I think GRRM is an absolute fucker, I feel no sympathy for entitled jerks who think they can just go there and demand him to work

If he never finishes this series (and he will not), shame on us for reading his bad books anyway. I already regret spending my time on those terrible, huge and boring last 2 books, which I only endured because OMG I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS.

Good thing we have a TV show that will just show it to us how it end so we can go on with our lives and forget ASOIAF ever existed, even if its bad TV show

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

InFlames235 posted:

I just will thank GRRM for writing 3 very awesome books that has lead to an, overall, very awesome show with hiccups here and there. And thank god someone's gonna give us an ending at least.

Hopefully a happy ending :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

syscall girl posted:

Hopefully a happy ending :allears:

It's going to be "bittersweet" because literally nothing can have a happy ending nowadays.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
White walkers gonna get through, kill mostly everyone, Jon being Azor Ahai will sacrifice himself to kill the Night King which in turn will kill all the White Walkers, only survivor of the characters is Gendry who takes the throne but gives it back to the people making Westeros a true democracy once and for all. The End.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Even if D&D/GRRM wanted a happy ending, I'd think it's pretty impossible for the conclusion to not be bittersweet with the situation at hand.

Like so many loving people will die and places will be razed, if not from the WW themselves but the dragons flying around trying to burninate them.

Maybe a lengthy time skip would allow for a legit happy ending?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

lately the only happy ending was for a certain fat pink mast

and i'm okay with that

if they never do another sex thing on this show, immense respect

please for the love of the seven do not do any more softcore "play with her rear end" nonsense

this is the work of the american tolkien

we want some loving violence

there's like 15+ hours left of the entire series and if i see a sand snake titty again ima snap

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

syscall girl posted:

lately the only happy ending was for a certain fat pink mast

and i'm okay with that

if they never do another sex thing on this show, immense respect

please for the love of the seven do not do any more softcore "play with her rear end" nonsense

this is the work of the american tolkien

we want some loving violence

there's like 15+ hours left of the entire series and if i see a sand snake titty again ima snap

sorry, we're gonna have some pretty bad and excessive sex scenes once jon stars banging his aunt (and probably his cousin?)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

All I want out of this season is for Jon to not know Dany is his aunt when that happens. If he fucks her while knowing it will feel very wrong for the character.

Not that D&D care tbh they probably forgot how closely related the two are.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
kelly c. has channeled her energy from loving into pyromania

we just need for them to keep the fire away from the ice because i can't handle any more "steam"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I for one, Im eager to see Mel naked again (using the neck thing, of course)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am always eager for naked Van Houten.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

no, if Cersei gets to dress like Vader we need to see Melisandre look like Palpatine

but bear rear end nekkid

huge grey bush

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

esperterra posted:

Not that D&D care tbh they probably forgot how closely related the two are.

being fair, everybody in westeros is inbred as hell, even discounting the targaryen and lannister sibling-incest

tywin and joanna were first cousins

rickard stark and his wife, lyarra stark, were first cousins

jon arryn and one of his wives were first cousins

redwyne is married to one or another of mace's sisters, a first cousin

throw in more distant cousins and it's pretty much everybody

world's full of cousin-fuckers top to bottom
aunt + nephew is genetically closer but who knows what they'd even count as weird

Elias_Maluco posted:

speaking of which, haven't we seen young melisandre without the choker

maybe they just hadn't yet decided she was a secret old lady, at the time

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, during a bath scene where she's chatting at Selyse iirc.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

esperterra posted:

I am always eager for naked Van Houten.

I don't want to see Melhouse naked

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PupsOfWar posted:

being fair, everybody in westeros is inbred as hell, even discounting the targaryen and lannister sibling-incest

tywin and joanna were first cousins

rickard stark and his wife, lyarra stark, were first cousins

jon arryn and one of his wives were first cousins

redwyne is married to one or another of mace's sisters, a first cousin

throw in more distant cousins and it's pretty much everybody

world's full of cousin-fuckers top to bottom
aunt + nephew is genetically closer but who knows what they'd even count as weird

speaking of which, haven't we seen young melisandre without the choker

maybe they just hadn't yet decided she was a secret old lady, at the time

Doesn't matter who marries their first cousins, since every child born in Westeros is actually a secret rape baby.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel like aunt + nephew would be pretty high up on the list of don'ts for incest, not as normal as cousin loving in Westeros. Then again who knows.

At any rate Ned seems like the kind of dude who would raise his kids to not gently caress immediate relatives.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I can't believe we didn't get the Dany/handmaiden sex scene from the books yet. I thought that was probably the biggest reason they hired Nathalie Emmanuel. We know D & D are big pervs, both actresses have been nude on the show, what are they waiting for? What would make them want to hold back here of all places?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They didn't have Cersei go diving into the Myrish Swamp, either. I'm disappointed.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

some guy on the bus posted:

I can't believe we didn't get the Dany/handmaiden sex scene from the books yet. I thought that was probably the biggest reason they hired Nathalie Emmanuel. We know D & D are big pervs, both actresses have been nude on the show, what are they waiting for? What would make them want to hold back here of all places?

its still american television, only tertiary characters are allowed to be queer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ahaha GRRM just posted that WoW isn't coming out until 2018 at the earliest and will probably be after he finishes his Valyria history book. So possibly 2019.

ahahahaha