Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I don't really understand how it's decadent like the academic lit community is the golden robot from Futurama except eating nazi grapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Anthony Burgess is one of those writers that I can't get enough of even though I disagree with 99% of his politics and would ship him off to the gulag if given half a chance. Despite this, I've never actually read A Clockwork Orange, just most of his other stuff. Is there anything I should know before diving in?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Alvarez IV posted:

Anthony Burgess is one of those writers that I can't get enough of even though I disagree with 99% of his politics and would ship him off to the gulag if given half a chance. Despite this, I've never actually read A Clockwork Orange, just most of his other stuff. Is there anything I should know before diving in?

Make sure you're not reading an old American edition so the book actually has all the chapters?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Losing those chapters was his choice though the real black mark is they include a dictionary.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

Losing those chapters was his choice though the real black mark is they include a dictionary.

I'm pretty sure it was the American publisher who wanted to get rid of it. Burgess needed money so he just let them do whatever.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im trying to read blood meridian but it's very boring 😴

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

im trying to read blood meridian but it's very boring 😴

oh poo poo sorry dude lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got The Road for like a couple bucks used but haven't even opened it yet.

What's the thread's opinion on Cormac McCormacky?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
he real good

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

he's too lazy to use punctuation

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
I am having a hell of a time with Dictionary of the Khazars, any suggestions for an order/strategy to tackling it? I have been bouncing around and liking it but I feel like I'm missing something/getting lost in it.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Swarmin Swedes posted:

I am having a hell of a time with Dictionary of the Khazars, any suggestions for an order/strategy to tackling it? I have been bouncing around and liking it but I feel like I'm missing something/getting lost in it.

i just read it front to back in direct opposition to the intro. because:
1) i like being contrary
2) i think reading each section independently let me see the thematic differences between them
3) once you have a basic idea of the full scope of the entries then you are less tempted to keep flipping around until you feel like you understand what is going on 100% in a particular entry, since you will have an idea of what was left intentionally extratextual

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mel Mudkiper posted:

he real good

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
booker prize has announced the most boring longlist possible, which also makes it a good list of the most talked-about English-language literature of the last couple of years (with a couple of exceptions)

4 3 2 1 , by Paul Auster (US) (Faber & Faber)

quote:

It's the kind of novel I imagine computers writing, when they're able: there's nothing technically wrong with it, but it doesn't really seem to have a point.
Days Without End , by Sebastian Barry (Ireland) (Faber & Faber)

quote:

Not my cup of tea at this moment in AmeriKKKan history when it is very likely that more natives will be killed in the near future over fossil fuel pipelines running through sacred lands.
History of Wolves , by Emily Fridlund (US) (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

Goodreads posted:

No, it is not actually about wolves. You aren't going to learn anything about the behavior of wolves from this book.
Exit West , by Mohsin Hamid (Pakistan-UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

quote:

SO disappointing. A strong romance would have saved everything.
Solar Bones , by Mike McCormack (Ireland) (Canongate)

quote:

it might have been more interesting to discover that Marcus was in actuality a squirrel, or maybe a raccoon
Reservoir 13 , by Jon McGregor (UK) (4th Estate)

quote:

If I hadn't already come to the conclusion that there is no real point to life then this novel would certainly have made me consider it so.
Elmet , by Fiona Mozley (UK) (JM Originals)

quote:

not published yet
The Ministry Of Utmost Happiness , by Arundhati Roy (India) (Hamish Hamilton)

quote:

464 pages of utter garbage (organic as well as inorganic) against the Indian state as well as the popular belief, this is what the book offers you
Lincoln in the Bardo , by George Saunders (US) (Bloomsbury)

quote:

This book is not about Lincoln, so if you're a President Abraham Lincoln lover, you will likely not like or appreciate this book.
Home Fire , by Kamila Shamsie (UK-Pakistan) (Bloomsbury)

quote:

It truly gets to the heart of the readers through word choice and emotional connections.
Autumn , by Ali Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

quote:

The plot goes nowhere, the characters are underdeveloped and not likable, and the Brexit connection is flimsy at best.
Swing Time , by Zadie Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

quote:

The farther away I get from college, the less patience I have for reading that feels like work, and this felt like getting out a spade and tilling up a field by hand.
The Underground Railroad , by Colson Whitehead (US) (Fleet)

quote:

I was expecting a big payoff! I was expecting to be moved to tears! I was expecting to be first in line when they make this into a movie! But . . . none of this happened.

VVV Eka Kurniawan is the current hotness VVV

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 27, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

im planning a trip to bali later this year. are there any good balinese or Indonesian writers??

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
WHo's being quoted?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

Hmmm apparently one of his books is already on my to read list. How did that get there?? 🙆🤔🙆

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mr. Squishy posted:

WHo's being quoted?

The first one or two star review on goodreads that i saw. I outsource all my criticism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

quote:

This book is not about Lincoln, so if you're a President Abraham Lincoln lover, you will likely not like or appreciate this book.

the hardest of lols

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I got The Road for like a couple bucks used but haven't even opened it yet.

What's the thread's opinion on Cormac McCormacky?

Good, depressing, violent.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Burning Rain posted:

The first one or two star review on goodreads that i saw. I outsource all my criticism

This is fantastic.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

booker prize has announced the most boring longlist possible, which also makes it a good list of the most talked-about English-language literature of the last couple of years (with a couple of exceptions)

4 3 2 1 , by Paul Auster (US) (Faber & Faber)

Days Without End , by Sebastian Barry (Ireland) (Faber & Faber)

History of Wolves , by Emily Fridlund (US) (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

Exit West , by Mohsin Hamid (Pakistan-UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

Solar Bones , by Mike McCormack (Ireland) (Canongate)

Reservoir 13 , by Jon McGregor (UK) (4th Estate)

Elmet , by Fiona Mozley (UK) (JM Originals)

The Ministry Of Utmost Happiness , by Arundhati Roy (India) (Hamish Hamilton)

Lincoln in the Bardo , by George Saunders (US) (Bloomsbury)

Home Fire , by Kamila Shamsie (UK-Pakistan) (Bloomsbury)

Autumn , by Ali Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

Swing Time , by Zadie Smith (UK) (Hamish Hamilton)

The Underground Railroad , by Colson Whitehead (US) (Fleet)

solar bones sounded cool because its all one sentence and i don't care about any of these other clowns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

solar bones sounded cool because its all one sentence and i don't care about any of these other clowns

Colson Whitehead and George Saunders are real real good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Lincoln in the Bardo was decent, and funny in a couple of places.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I hope Zadie Smith wins. I haven't read "Swing Time" but I am reading her collection of essays at the moment and it owns. Also shes pretty fit.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
zadie smith is an incredibly good writer and one of the very few who actually manages to capture contemporary london. unlike that poo poo ian mcewan.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Franchescanado posted:

Good, depressing, violent.

Just like mom used to make!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope Zadie Smith wins. I haven't read "Swing Time" but I am reading her collection of essays at the moment and it owns. Also shes pretty fit.

I need to read Swing Time too but White Teeth is really good

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Fiona Mozley has like 40 mutual friends with me on Facebook. Weird

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Re: Zadie, I just finished On Beauty and it was pretty good. White Teeth and Swing Time were both enjoyable as well. Of the books listed I loved Lincoln in the Bardo and was underwhelmed by Underground Railroad, but I still want to read the Roy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I read Hospital of the Transfiguration, it was really good.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People

fridge corn posted:

im planning a trip to bali later this year. are there any good balinese or Indonesian writers??

You might want to start reading Pramoedya Ananta Toer's works, especially if you have a slight interest in knowing colonial-era life in Indonesia.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CelestialCookie posted:

You might want to start reading Pramoedya Ananta Toer's works, especially if you have a slight interest in knowing colonial-era life in Indonesia.

Yes perfect 👌 this is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for thanks

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Art of Fielding is good poo poo so far. Thanks, thread

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

so I've never read any Hesse and I want to get started with Demian. Is there a definitive translation or is any of them fine?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smh if u dont read all books in all their original languages

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

smh if u dont read all books in all their original languages

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
smh if you dont gain astral access to the akashic record and channel the pure unfiltered thoughtform of every book directly into your crown chakra

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
By the way, Just finished Vondel's Lucifer. V cool, clearly a big influence on Milton. See for instance (from Wikipedia so I don't have to do the translation myself)

quote:

"Here may we reign secure, and in my choice To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell.

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven."

Milton's Paradise Lost

"Is ’t noodlot, dat ick vall’, van eere en staet berooft,
Laet vallen, als ick vall’, met deze kroone op ’t hooft,
Dien scepter in de vuist, dien eersleip van vertrouden,
En zoo veel duizenden als onze zyde houden.
Dat valle streckt tot eer, en onverwelckbren lof:
En liever d’ eerste Vorst in eenigh laeger hof,
Dan in ’t gezalight licht de tweede, of noch een minder
Zoo troost ick my de kans, en vrees nu leet noch hinder."

Translation:
Is it fate that I will fall, robbed of honour and dignity,
Then let me fall, if I were to fall, with this crown upon my head
This sceptre in my fist, this company of loyals,
And as many as are loyal to our side.
This fall would honour one, and give unwilting praise:
And rather [would I be] foremost king in any lower court,
Than rank second in most holy light, or even less
Thus I justify my revolt, and will now fear pain nor hindrance.

Vondel's Lucifer
There's clearly much more restraint in Lucifer, not tryng to drag in Greek mythology and all that, also due to the constraints of it being a play.
The fall of man is also very much an afterthought in Lucifer, while it's one of the coolest parts of Paradise Lost.

Overall, Paradise Lost is probably the better work, but Lucifer is also very cool. Would read more Vondel.

Also good & cool: The word 'kloot' in modern Dutch refers only to testicles, but in the 17th century it apparently referred to spherical bodies in general. V nice when Vondel calls the heavenly bodies 'kloten'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Belgian posted:

Also good & cool: The word 'kloot' in modern Dutch refers only to testicles, but in the 17th century it apparently referred to spherical bodies in general. V nice when Vondel calls the heavenly bodies 'kloten'.

is that where the name of the band comes from?