Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dub Champa is legitimately perfect though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Maple Leaf posted:

Yeah, what's up with that?

In the manga, Cabba says that the Saiyans of U6 lost their tails during their evolution, likely because Toyotaro wanted to explain why Goten and Trunks were born without tails as well.

There's no explanation in the anime, Cabba is outright confused when Goku asks him about his tail, meaning that the U6 Saiyan race either lost their tails so long ago that they can't even remember they had them at one point, or they never had tails at all. The latter would be rather weird though, since calling them "monkeys" and similar is still considered an insult in U6, as Cabba shows when he tried to anger Caulifla so she would transform.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sefal posted:

She'll go SSJ3 and somehow she does it without making it useless.

Yeah, I unironically expect no one complaining about her going SSJ3 because it's literally a useless transformation that did nothing in the series.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

There's no explanation in the anime, Cabba is outright confused when Goku asks him about his tail, meaning that the U6 Saiyan race either lost their tails so long ago that they can't even remember they had them at one point, or they never had tails at all. The latter would be rather weird though, since calling them "monkeys" and similar is still considered an insult in U6, as Cabba shows when he tried to anger Caulifla so she would transform.

calling actual humans in the real world monkeys is pretty insulting, it doesn't need a lot of explanation

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Covok posted:

Yeah, I unironically expect no one complaining about her going SSJ3 because it's literally a useless transformation that did nothing in the series.

You obviously haven't read internet comments about caulifa. People are ridiculously upset that she's made it to ss2 already.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Caulifa is good. She's gonna look strange without eyebrows, though. Didn't the last episode foreshadow that she's gonna sacrifice herself for Kale?

Hit is the ultimate teammate, he can just keep saving everybody right before they get knocked off. He'll probably have to job to Jiren, he's too cool to make it to the end of the tournament.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cease to Hope posted:

calling actual humans in the real world monkeys is pretty insulting, it doesn't need a lot of explanation

She also calls Kale a Chimpanzee and Gorilla, which don't have tails.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the most important part in all of this, is that the concept of monkeys, chimpanzees, and apes are apparently multiversal

i wonder what the monkeys on frieza planet look like

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oddly enough, they look like eels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jedah posted:

Caulifa is good. She's gonna look strange without eyebrows, though. Didn't the last episode foreshadow that she's gonna sacrifice herself for Kale?

I don't remember if it applies to Xenoverse, but in Heroes, female Super Saiyan 3s don't lose their eyebrows, only males do.

Condiv posted:

the most important part in all of this, is that the concept of monkeys, chimpanzees, and apes are apparently multiversal

U7 and U6 are twin universes, so we can guess that most if not all races in both are the same.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't remember if it applies to Xenoverse, but in Heroes, female Super Saiyan 3s don't lose their eyebrows, only males do.

women lose their eyebrows in xv2

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Cease to Hope posted:

women lose their eyebrows in xv2

Not shocking. Women are just men with tits, no penis, and a vagina. Or, men are just women without tits, no vagina, and a penis. It's all relative based on your certain point of view.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Covok posted:

Not shocking. Women are just men with tits, no penis, and a vagina. Or, men are just women without tits, no vagina, and a penis. It's all relative based on your certain point of view.

what the hell is this

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

what the hell is this

Me just being stupid.

Edit: The joke is me trying to say that I see no reason why women SSJ3 wouldn't also lose their eyebrows.

Edit Edit: I suppose the joke wasn't funny and, while the intention was to go "it's silly to think just because the character is a woman they should make her more aesthetically pleasing to a male audience when she does the same thing a man does", I see how it could be taken another way.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 27, 2017

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
My wife bought me the saiyan saga blue ray for my birthday, so im rewatching the start of Z in a non abridged format for the first time.

So much stuff Id vompletely forgotten. In my mind the first episode of Z started with Raditz and the farmer, completely forgot about Gohan almost falling down a ravine and all those antics.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the culminator posted:

My wife bought me the saiyan saga blue ray for my birthday, so im rewatching the start of Z in a non abridged format for the first time.

So much stuff Id vompletely forgotten. In my mind the first episode of Z started with Raditz and the farmer, completely forgot about Gohan almost falling down a ravine and all those antics.

iirc raditz was the first episode of the original dub on toonami

so it's a fair mistake to make

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I love how people keep acting like the show debuted in the US on Toonami with Z. FUNimation dub-wise, kids, I was watching the OG Pilaf saga and the Raditz-to-Recoome+Tree of Might conveyor belt in syndication years before you fuckers got your grubby Toonami mits on it.

I feel so old.

Covok
May 27, 2013

My first experience with dragonball was when my uncle picked up The Dead Zone Ocean Dub as a VHS. He thought I'd like it because it was a cartoon and he was absolutely right, though I always fast forwarded past the musical number.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I love how people keep acting like the show debuted in the US on Toonami with Z. FUNimation dub-wise, kids, I was watching the OG Pilaf saga and the Raditz-to-Recoome+Tree of Might conveyor belt in syndication years before you fuckers got your grubby Toonami mits on it.

I feel so old.

My country was in the loving Buu Saga when I started watching it on Toonami. It kept stopping mid Namek saga. Gohan getting his neck broken by recome and krillin crying, and THAT'S when you loving dial it back to the beginning? What the gently caress?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

U7 and U6 are twin universes, so we can guess that most if not all races in both are the same.

You know they say that, but I was just thinking that none of the other universes seem to show any indication that they're twinned together and share races, like where are all the Magical Girls in the Pride Troopers? (that one chick they have doesn't count)

Though thinking about it, in Krillin's episode him and 18 were fighting two universe 4 fighters who were like wolf men, I wonder if they were meant to be the same race as Bergamo and his bros? They look quite different.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you think about it, Super Sentai and Magical Girls kinda are twin concepts, at least if you look at team magical girl stuff like Sailor Moon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fargin Icehole posted:

My country was in the loving Buu Saga when I started watching mid Namek saga. Gohan getting his neck broken by recome and krillin crying, and THAT'S when you loving dial it back to the beginning? What the gently caress?

At some point in time when I was 9 I bought a pencil case in India.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise what these things were after DBZ started airing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Enourmo posted:

If you think about it, Super Sentai and Magical Girls kinda are twin concepts, at least if you look at team magical girl stuff like Sailor Moon.

True, but like universe 6 and 7 are almost like Star Trek mirror-verses (with 7 being the goatee-verse which I just find brilliant); everything's mostly recognizable with a few tweaks, even their God's of destruction look the same. The other universes have a few thematic connections at best, its not like Gowasu has whole lotta' robot people to recruit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

That's because Sailor Moon was the magical girl genre based on the Super Sentai franchise.

Cutie Honey was that, but based on Kamen Rider.

Actual Magical Girls go back way further and look basically nothing like them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

My country was in the loving Buu Saga when I started watching it on Toonami. It kept stopping mid Namek saga. Gohan getting his neck broken by recome and krillin crying, and THAT'S when you loving dial it back to the beginning? What the gently caress?

Basically, they dubbed exactly as many episodes as they needed for syndication (I think it was about 65 at the time). They didn't give a poo poo about whether or not they had a good stopping point; they just shopped it around as a series that could fill airtime. You get to the end of the available episodes, you loop back around. It's how syndicated series work all the time.

It also meant when Cartoon Network picked it up to fill space on their Action Cartoons For People To Watch block, that was all that was available. Then, it turns out, people really liked it, and negotiations started for more episodes, and we know the rest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure the other universes have echoes but are less similar than 6 and 7, who were also neighbors, cosmologically. Like we know there's "Earth" in both 6 and 7, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a planet there in, like, Universe 8.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

khwarezm posted:

True, but like universe 6 and 7 are almost like Star Trek mirror-verses (with 7 being the goatee-verse which I just find brilliant); everything's mostly recognizable with a few tweaks, even their God's of destruction look the same. The other universes have a few thematic connections at best, its not like Gowasu has whole lotta' robot people to recruit.

Well it makes sense when you look at the Universes being sort of similar but also opposites.

Universe 2: Magical Girl Teams
Universe 11: Super Sentai Teams

Universe 3: Bunch of useless nerds
Universe 10: Bunch of worthless jocks

Universe 4: Clever immoral assholes
Universe 9: Stupid immoral assholes

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I figured the aim was that U6 and U7, alone, were so close to each other as to be more reflections, twinned by their Destroyers. The other universes share a more overall thematic link, like the Sentai/Sailor sort of split, instead of being close enough to share the same species and concepts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Universe 4: Clever immoral assholes
Universe 9: Stupid immoral assholes

poo poo, I never made that connection.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Black August posted:

I figured the aim was that U6 and U7, alone, were so close to each other as to be more reflections, twinned by their Destroyers. The other universes share a more overall thematic link, like the Sentai/Sailor sort of split, instead of being close enough to share the same species and concepts.

I wonder what the story is around Beerus and Champa since GoD's in the other universe come form their own universe expect for Beerus and Champa who are siblings.

Covok
May 27, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

I wonder what the story is around Beerus and Champa since GoD's in the other universe come form their own universe expect for Beerus and Champa who are siblings.

The answer is that Toriyama owns two cats.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Maybe their parents were cross-universe lovers and they were born in the World of Void. Never thought of that, huh, didja? Huh? Didja? Didja?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The most hilarious answer is that Beerus and Champa are just twin-universe duplicates of each other, but the idea that they're the same person is so revolting to both of them that they agreed to just refer to each other as "twin brothers".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Veotax posted:

Because there is zero direction given to the VAs on Xenoverse. For the original release of Black he was just told 'do an evil Goku'. For the Rosé version he had a better idea of what the character was about.

Don't take the Xenoverse voices as too much of an indication of what characters will be dubbed like.

e;fb

he wasn't even told that the voice he was doing for Rosé was supposed to be the same character as Goku Black lmao. Nothing in Xenoverse should be taken as an indication for how Funimation will actually handle stuff, not even close

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Whis and Vados found a box of two kittens and decided "hey, you know what'd be funny?" and the rest is history.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I appreciate that we got British evil Goku and Batman/GIGoku out of it in the end at least, even if they go radically different directions in the future.

Speaking of the future, jeeeeez does Super's dub have a lot of episodes to go before Zamasu. RF still has to end, there's the stupid black goo Vegeta saga, the U6/7 tournament... The Tournament of Power won't even be a thing till like, winter 2018.
It makes me realize I got a real good deal with Z compared to others, with some channel airing 2 episodes daily letting me finish it pretty fast.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Augus posted:

he wasn't even told that the voice he was doing for Rosé was supposed to be the same character as Goku Black lmao. Nothing in Xenoverse should be taken as an indication for how Funimation will actually handle stuff, not even close

Considering one of his lines is calling himself "Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black" I find it hard to believe he had no idea.

Also, base Zamasu's voice sounded like the guy had absolutely no idea what he was saying, while Fusion Zamasu actually sounds pretty good if he put a bit more work in (a bit old though), so I'm not that worried about him.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Momomo posted:

Considering one of his lines is calling himself "Super Saiyan Rose Goku Black" I find it hard to believe he had no idea.

Also, base Zamasu's voice sounded like the guy had absolutely no idea what he was saying, while Fusion Zamasu actually sounds pretty good if he put a bit more work in (a bit old though), so I'm not that worried about him.

I wonder how much of it was an ADR going OTT in telling him to sound more subdued.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Why was it so hard for them to grasp "Evil Goku voice"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

RBX posted:

Why was it so hard for them to grasp "Evil Goku voice"

Because a large part of Black's character is not that he's 'Goku but Evil', it's how he acts absolutely nothing like Goku. (Except for the evergrowing battle-lust)