Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Avalerion posted:

I doubt Tony even knew he bankrupted someone. He was probably thinking "dangerous alien tech, best have qualified personnel take care of this, if we let any random joe go at it they might blown themselves up or misuse it!".

Actually, the city would be on the hook for all the trucks and poo poo he bought to do the job, as well as the salaries of the guys he hired to do the job since he accepted the contract in good faith. The city might try to get out of it and make the Federal Government pay them because the Fed's barged in to take control, so maybe the money would be tied up in litigation for a while, but he'd get paid eventually. Of course, that could still bankrupt his business depending on the bills he has. But that's not Tony's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I think if we're being totally realistic, Toomes would have made a big stink and Tony would have paid him off without even thinking about it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

precision posted:

Yeah I think if we're being totally realistic, Toomes would have made a big stink and Tony would have paid him off without even thinking about it.

Given that this is Avengers Tony and Toomes was clearly starting to figure out alien tech already, you'd think Toomes could have outright gotten a job with Stark Industries for it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I figure they moved away from Flash being a stereo typical "jock" bully because Peter could just take punches from him all day and not care. It's also too easy for Peter to turn the tables on a physical bully by being quick.

Peter doesn't have any powers to prevent a jerk from talking poo poo all day and if Flash never throws a first punch then no matter how angry Flash makes Peter, he can't hit Flash or he becomes the bully - and you know Flash would play up being attacked and say he's terrified of Peter, even if he isn't. A cowardly rear end in a top hat bully just seem a lot more culturally relevant and interesting here than a dumb jock bully would be.

Also, Parker is loving ripped. Anyone guy who takes gym would notice it given that they change together. That probably really damps down the possibilty of getting physically bullied.

Though I wonder how he explained where the six pack came from after getting bit by the spider?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Given that this is Avengers Tony and Toomes was clearly starting to figure out alien tech already, you'd think Toomes could have outright gotten a job with Stark Industries for it.

In real life he'd probaby be offered house arrest or something to work with the government/Stark even after all he did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now I'm surprised there wasn't a credits scene where Stark approaches Cool Rick (toomes' friend) and offers him a job.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

In real life he'd probaby be offered house arrest or something to work with the government/Stark even after all he did.

I was thinking more immediately after he lost the original contract. Tony's not a bad guy and he seems to always be looking for fresh talent for Stark Industries.

I don't think Toomes would have wanted to sell out like that, but it was an option.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, Parker is loving ripped. Anyone guy who takes gym would notice it given that they change together. That probably really damps down the possibilty of getting physically bullied.

Though I wonder how he explained where the six pack came from after getting bit by the spider?

Most dudes aren't checking out other dudes in the locker room, I doubt anyone would notice. If they are the type to notice, they're too distracted by the sexiness to worry about it.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Here's a pretty interesting interpretation of the movie by the same lady who found plotholes in Suicide Squad. I didn't even think of the Hey Arnold analogy until she brought it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

At the time that was going on, Pepper was running Stark Industries, and she turned down a collaboration with someone had independently invented human regeneration, not just made some progress fiddling with some alien junk he'd found. If it could even tangentially be used for a weapon, she was saying no on Tony's orders. And the alien stuff is literally a bunch of weapons left behind by some alien invaders.

As we see, Damage Control is just locking the stuff in a vault. They seem to have no interest in how it works.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Also, what do you expect Peter to do when most of the calls he hears are things like domestic disputes or other situations along those lines? Go in there and beat up abusive husbands himself?

It's what golden age Superman did, and if he did it, it can't be wrong!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Junior Jr. posted:

Here's a pretty interesting interpretation of the movie by the same lady who found plotholes in Suicide Squad. I didn't even think of the Hey Arnold analogy until she brought it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

Spidey needs a hidden loft apartment with remote-control furniture.

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's what golden age Superman did, and if he did it, it can't be wrong!

This but unironically.

Why don't we have more low-stakes superheroes? A victim of abuse who goes after abusers, probably exacting disproportionate retribution in the process and scaring the poo poo out of everyone. Tracking down pedophiles and loving up Pray Away The Gay camps. (same thing)

Batman occasionally does that kind of thing, being the poster boy for child victims of trauma.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

This but unironically.

Why don't we have more low-stakes superheroes? A victim of abuse who goes after abusers, probably exacting disproportionate retribution in the process and scaring the poo poo out of everyone. Tracking down pedophiles and loving up Pray Away The Gay camps. (same thing)

Because then you end up in a scenario where Spidey just beat the gently caress out of someone who was doing a consensual kink scene with their loving partner.

Seriously, he should let the cops handle poo poo like this, they have training and resources and don't just web everyone into a wall.

Also, you're describing The Punisher, so we do have that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Because then you end up in a scenario where Spidey just beat the gently caress out of someone who was doing a consensual kink scene with their loving partner.

Seriously, he should let the cops handle poo poo like this, they have training and resources and don't just web everyone into a wall.

Also, you're describing The Punisher, so we do have that.

Think about what you're saying here. Doesn't that make it all the more interesting?

Also, the Punisher isn't so much that as a Death Wish murder fantasy of a Good Guy With A Gun.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I just remembered, I love that Spidey and Happy got to have a discussion about what is NBD.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
It was so obvious Michelle knew who he was when she asked what he was hiding at the end of the movie.

http://spatziline.tumblr.com/post/162851611196/oh-snap-moringmark-and-i-where-talking-about-how

Also, what year is it?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Think about what you're saying here. Doesn't that make it all the more interesting?

We got a sfw verion of that with the car thief. If the whole movie was about this kind of stuff it would miss the "super" part of superhero though.

Like wasn't "Superman just does mundane stuff" the main complain against Returns?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 20, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, what year is it?

This is funny but the Battle of New York happened in 2009. All the Phase One films happened over a year.

Guardians is based a few months after the first but is isolated so doesn't matter. Ragnorok in back in current time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PriorMarcus posted:

This is funny but the Battle of New York happened in 2009. All the Phase One films happened over a year.

Guardians is based a few months after the first but is isolated so doesn't matter. Ragnorok in back in current time.

Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk happen around the same time, the university rampage is on the news on a TV screen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This was really good and had a hard-to-pin-down charm and emotional core I feel has been missing from many Marvel movies. I am also glad that they didn't feel the need to re-re-rehash his origin story, even as a flashback or framing device. At this point there are probably uncontacted Amazonian tribal cultures that are aware of A-list superhero origin stories by cultural osmosis.

I really thought Micheal Keaton was a stand-out as a sympathetic villain and would love to see him get some more work as Vulture, or just in general. He was the best thing about the terrible RoboCop reboot, up to the point where he had to become Chaotic Retarded for plot reasons in the third act.

I enjoyed getting trolled by Cap for patiently waiting for my post-credit cookie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just wanna say I'm really, really enjoying the soundtrack to this movie. Giacchino's punny titles are great, as usual, but I feel like he missed a trick by not naming "Fly-By-Night Operation" "Raiders of the Lost Stark" and "A Boatload of Trouble Pt. 2" "Ship's About to Go Down".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And even when Thor did need a secret identity it was still .... problematic.

Which comic is this? Love the dig at Manhattan prices.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Walter Simonson's Thor I believe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, at this point, without easily accessible video we're just going to be talking in vague generalities, but just compare any of the action scenes from this movie with any action scene from the Raimi movies.The action scenes in the Raimi movies have attractive framing, inventive staging, creative angles, clear lines of action, etc. Homecoming just shows things happening, and a few times it wasn't even shown all that well or that clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyOdcfyo7_M

Just take this one scene. I can make a bunch of gifs of moments that really pop and make you appreciate how singularly creative Sam Raimi is as a director:

Notice there's a set-up (the cop pointing the gun at Ock and Ock getting pissed), the punchline (a very nicely framed wide shot showing Ock flinging cops away from him in all directions, with one guy comically falling to the floor in the background a split-second later than the others), and even a tag (Ock adding a bit of flair to his victory by doffing his hat with one of his killer tentacles). One of the keys to a good action beat is to have it tell a complete, compelling story in its own right, and to do it in a visually creative way. Add an element of visual comedy too, as Raimi is wont to do, and you've hit the trifecta.

Here you've got a close-up of Ock's face as Spider-Man swings from the negative space on Ock's left, passes behind his head, and lands on the pillar in the negative space to Ock's right, which is spatially and visually interesting in its own right. At the same time, you get the visual gag of seeing Ock cannily react to what the audience is seeing even though he himself cannot. Then you have Spider-Man swinging in an arc toward the frame, quickly going from a smaller figure to a larger figure as he dodges cash bags flying from out of the frame toward him and exploding in gold coins, eventually coming to land on the opposite side of the frame as one last bag hits right above; all this dynamic action is very visually interesting, but also, crucially, carefully constructed, with clear lines of motion, and a carefully modulated rhythm or timing to the action (an initial flurry of projectiles followed by a brief pause and then one last impactful hit for punctuation). This set-up of Ock flinging projectiles at Spider-Man is then followed by a reversal of the established status quo when Spider-Man catches a bag with his web and flings it back at Ock, leading to the punch line of Ock getting a taste of his own medicine and being violently flung back against the wall. As spergy as this kind of analysis inevitably comes across, all these elements really do come together on an unconscious level in a viewer's brain to give this brief action beat a sense of dynamism and verve that wouldn't be there if it was shot in the most basic and inertly matter-of-fact way, as many if not most Marvel movie directors tend to do (the Russo brothers are better at action than most of the others, though still not on the level of Raimi).

Again, set-up (Spider-Man dodges the flung car door), and punch line (Spider-Man fails to dodge the flung car door). Spider-Man's acrobatics are framed well by the shattered window as he runs from the background towards the foreground, and he goes from being a vertical figure to being a horizontal figure and then back to a vertical one in the frame as he dodges the horizontal shapes of the car doors, only to collide with one of the doors and be flung backwards into the window from which he emerged at the beginning of the shot. Again, I know this sounds a bit bullshit, but playing around with geometry and shapes and positions like this really is very viscerally satisfying and goes a long way towards creating visual interest in a shot, provided that it's done cleanly and clearly.

This isn't really that much of an action shot but it's just plain cool.

And I'm actually just going to stop here because I'd basically end up gifing the entire scene.

Let's just wait and see if we can do the same with whoever-this-guy-was who directed this new one. Maybe I was just going in with a bias and didn't notice all the cool action staging as a result. That's always possible.

This whole scene rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watching Spider-Man as an adult is exhausting. You just feel tired at the end of it with all the life poo poo piling on.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This whole scene rules.

The whole movie rules. I still think it's the greatest superhero movie of all time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cnut the Great posted:

The whole movie rules. I still think it's the greatest superhero movie of all time.

It'll never be out of the running as far as I'm concerned.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Homeconming is a fun movie, although I'd find it pretty funny if Holland could holler a good scream scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJ9sQTX4EE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing that puzzled me and I wonder if it's something that ended up on the editing room floor - when Spidey first chases the van through the neighborhood, he trashes a bunch of houses and terrifies some kids and basically does a miniature "battle of New York" on that whole part of town, and I was sure that was going to come back and make him Feel Bad like what happened at the ATM robbery.

But speaking of that, why didn't Peter say "Tony, can you rebuild this sandwich shop for me". I'm starting to wonder if Tony Stark is even a good guy!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Which comic is this? Love the dig at Manhattan prices.

Mighty Thor #341, March 1984. Nick Fury gives Thor a new secret identity and a cover story as a construction worker but the dragon Fafnir turns up at the building site and starts causing trouble!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

Why don't we have more low-stakes superheroes?
I dunno, but if you want a low level superhero then check out Defendor!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Photoshop is not kind to Michael Kelly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, Tyne Daly (the head of Damage Control in that first scene) looked so bloody familiar, but looking at her filmography I haven't seen anything she's been in aside from a few single episodes of Mission Impossible and such.

Anyway, fun movie. It's no Spiderman 2 (but then, what is?) but Holland was fun, Keaton was amazing, and the movie was a dorky mood-swingy teenager. Didn't feel the need to blatantly spotlight little touches either, like Stark mentioning the churro lady showing he was listening to the voicemails.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bruceski posted:

Man, Tyne Daly (the head of Damage Control in that first scene) looked so bloody familiar, but looking at her filmography I haven't seen anything she's been in aside from a few single episodes of Mission Impossible and such.

if you have a mother above the age of 40, your mother will know her from Cagney and Lacey and/or Judging Amy

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Watching the original Spider-Man movies again honestly the 3rd is like Iron Man 2, the unrecognized best in the trilogy. It's hilarious and unlike most marvel movies the humor is grounded in the plot. Rami's movies really focus on being a superhero as an outlet for Peter's sexual insecurity. Parker is constantly getting poo poo on meanwhile almost every time Spider-Man is in a well populated scene there's a quick shot some random women ogling him. Of course the second Peter has any success with women he turns evil.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Ultimate Spider-Man has that famous panel where Black Cat, who was hitting on Spidey, finds out he's a teenager and she throws up.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
She throws up on his crotch! Gross. But spider-man 3 has a french maitre d' keep calling him Peter Pecker and make a show of putting on his glasses to see the tiny stone on Pecker's engagement ring. Hilarious!

E: haha it's Bruce Campbell I had no idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDuupsaAA_8

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 27, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sinding Johansson posted:

Watching the original Spider-Man movies again honestly the 3rd is like Iron Man 2, the unrecognized best in the trilogy. It's hilarious and unlike most marvel movies the humor is grounded in the plot. Rami's movies really focus on being a superhero as an outlet for Peter's sexual insecurity. Parker is constantly getting poo poo on meanwhile almost every time Spider-Man is in a well populated scene there's a quick shot some random women ogling him. Of course the second Peter has any success with women he turns evil.

Almost every individual part of Spider-Man 3 is good (because it's still Sam Raimi making the movie), it's just that the movie has some structural issues which come from Raimi being forced to insert a whole extra villain he didn't want to deal with. At the same time though, all the themes and imagery that come with the Symbiote are really compelling and worthwhile. I wonder if Raimi was uninterested in the whole Symbiote concept in general, or if he just didn't want to deal with Venom. The latter is pretty understandable, though I'd argue that once you introduce the Symbiote it kind of just makes both thematic and comic book sense to have Peter's inner darkness reified as a physical adversary by the end of it all. And you also need a major villain to act as a punching bag for Peter while he's going through his dark phase. And you also need to deal with Harry and his inheritance of the Goblin persona teased at the end of the last movie.

Structurally, I think the real problem is actually Sandman and the necessity of including a whole arc for him amidst everything else that's going on. It probably would have worked better in that sense to just drop Sandman and put Harry fully in the role of major villain before Venom appears at the end. But that's a tough call because I really like a lot of the stuff with Sandman, at least compared to the Venom stuff. But the Venom stuff was probably underwhelming in large part because Raimi didn't like the character. Venom can be a good villain in the the right hands, even if he so often isn't.

I don't know, I think I'm cool with it just being the way it is, imperfect as it may be. Though yeah, Sony really shouldn't have forced Venom on him.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Sandman is good because he's a working class villain like pete is a working class hero. He should have his own movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Basically every scene with Sandman is amazing.

• Locked thread