Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Would if I could.

Would also bury a fallout shelter in the garden for the kids to play in if I could.

What's all this "if" business? Be the change you want to see in your garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A co-worker built his house from the ground up and he has a basement that extends under the yard to the garage because "why not?"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tree roots, I guess, but if you're just sticking grass on there..

Edit: also the immense extra cost of building underground.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

What's all this "if" business? Be the change you want to see in your garden.

Who's that guy who was digging unsafe holes in Diy a couple years back? I may want his crown.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Colin Furze?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

A co-worker built his house from the ground up and he has a basement that extends under the yard to the garage because "why not?"

I'd be okay with this provided that I could ensure as close to waterproof construction as possible with excellent drainage, though I'd probably end up building the garage like a bank barn. That way I could have a huge mostly-underground area for car storage, one level for all of the lawn and workshop stuff, and then a finished area under the roof for an in-law suite.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I'm starting to think we as a nation gave up on good architecture after realizing there's no way to make a garage look good.
Although I can see some practical issues with it, this is a good looking garage when closed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have the solution! LIVE IN THE GARAGE! House is garage! Garage is house! All is in harmony!

http://www.barnpros.com/barn-plans-products.aspx?itemid=1247

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you're going to have a detached garage you might as well park outside.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Alternatively: because developers realized that attaching the garage allowed them to reduce lot sizes, which means more units per development, which means more money. Buyers don't actually give a poo poo, they're just buying what the developers are selling.

Best option: because building three walls of a garage against a house is cheaper than building four walls of a detached garage.

IIRC garages were detached on account of either being added after the main house when cars became popular, and/or due to perceived increased fire risk from cars blowing up

Meanwhile in my county the zoning laws require two covered 171sqft+ parking spaces for any residential unit with two or more bedrooms. To give some context on how crazy this is, some cities in the county exceed 13000 people/sqmi.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Meanwhile in my county the zoning laws require two covered 171sqft+ parking spaces for any residential unit with two or more bedrooms. To give some context on how crazy this is, some cities in the county exceed 13000 people/sqmi.
We used to have a similar law here, where you had to provide at least one parking spot for every two apartments in a multiple tenant building, in addition to street parking. It was thankfully torn up a few years ago.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have the solution! LIVE IN THE GARAGE! CAR!!

Millennials are killing the housing industry with this one crazy trick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Millennials are killing the housing industry with this one crazy trick.

Instead of a glove compartment, there's an avocado compartment.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Show of hands, who here actually keeps a pair of gloves in their glove compartment?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

If you're going to have a detached garage you might as well park outside.
There's no good place to add a larger attached garage to my home. I do, however, have a spot where I could squeeze in a detached garage that's about 35' by 45' and not wreck access to the back of the house. I think that "keeping my cars inside" is a good middle ground between "not having to walk outside at all" and "having my cars constantly pelted by whatever weather is out there plus tree sap, pine needles, occasional branches, and constant bird poo poo."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Collateral Damage posted:

We used to have a similar law here, where you had to provide at least one parking spot for every two apartments in a multiple tenant building, in addition to street parking. It was thankfully torn up a few years ago.

I don't know under which circumstances you live, but 1 spot for every 2 apartments seems light.
(Presumably it isn't otherwise you wouldn't bring it up.)

In other cities, lack of parking requirements is why existing residents hate infill.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I don't know under which circumstances you live, but 1 spot for every 2 apartments seems light.
(Presumably it isn't otherwise you wouldn't bring it up.)

In other cities, lack of parking requirements is why existing residents hate infill.

If you live in a non-failed city you don't need a car.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Show of hands, who here actually keeps a pair of gloves in their glove compartment?

I do. But they're not driving gloves.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I do. But they're not driving gloves.

Same. I have a pair of these in all of our cars' glove compartments. And a few pairs scattered around the house. They're really great for cheap gloves.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV
edit: Oh, yeah, and a box of these in the back.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 28, 2017

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I have some latex gloves in mine.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Got to wear a glove when I get more diesel for my car. Those handles always got some diesel on them

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

I want a detached garage, but with a connecting tunnel underground. Bonus if it has a crazy little train car for transport a la Dark Man.

Back when I was in college, I used to daydream about having a house that was a central geodesic dome, with a constellation of smaller domes around it connected only by tunnels (and doors to the outside, I guess).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a pair of boxer briefs in my glove box...

I swear it was just for when I forgot a pair in my gym bag.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have my car's owners manual, my radio's owners manual, car service history, a bar of deoderant, spare knife and lighter, and emergency toiletries. I fancy I could live out of my car pretty well for a few days, I keep emergency supplies in there, at least I'd be warm and have a few books to read.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

I have a pair of boxer briefs in my glove box...

I swear it was just for when I forgot a pair in my gym bag.

I used to keep a change of clothes in the back in case I was held for an emergency, but at some point I gave my spare scrub bottoms to a pregnant patient who'd gotten soaked in the rain and I never replaced them. I also told my bosses, "I've never not made it in for a shift, and I'm never not going to leave when one's over."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Back when I was in college, I used to daydream about having a house that was a central geodesic dome, with a constellation of smaller domes around it connected only by tunnels (and doors to the outside, I guess).

...out...side...? Which part of the basement is that?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I have a hat.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gloves left in the glovebox are too cold in the winter so I keep gloves in my coat pockets.

In the glovebox is manuals, tire pressure gauge, a couple basic wrenches and screwdrivers, pens, flashlight, knife, and the accessport.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Attached garages are the bees knees. I don't know many people who actually use their detached garage for storing a car. It's used as a shed/workshop.

Detached garages are a pain in the rear end if you have your car inside because it is that much further you have to shovel/snowblow in the winter to get to your car out of the driveway. Oh and you have to walk through snow just to get to your shovel/snowblower.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

For apartment complexes (rental or condo), the county zoning requirements for covered parking spaces are...:
- studio/0 bedroom: 1 space
- 1 bedroom: 1.2 spaces
- 2 bedrooms: 1.5 spaces
- 3 bedrooms: 2 spaces
Plus an additional guest parking space for every 5 units

In comparison hotels are only required to have 1 space per 4 bedrooms

I think it says a lot that these requirements are from county zoning (i.e. bizarre poo poo to keep brown people out) rather than county building code (i.e. primarily concerned with safety)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Attached garages are the bees knees. I don't know many people who actually use their detached garage for storing a car. It's used as a shed/workshop.

Detached garages are a pain in the rear end if you have your car inside because it is that much further you have to shovel/snowblow in the winter to get to your car out of the driveway. Oh and you have to walk through snow just to get to your shovel/snowblower.

Eh I still have to walk to / shovel / plow my path from my house to my car I'd take a detached for never having to clean the car off.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Detached garages make for better workshops. The lack of noise leakage into the house means nobody cares that you're working when the baby is sleeping, etc. Cuts down on dust getting in as well.

It helps that I really like the look of detached garages and covered walkways, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't live in a place where attached/detached garages are a consideration, but I would think that detached garages at least don't make your house grow a car tumor.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SoundMonkey posted:

the thread that assumes every second bathroom is a torture dungeon thinks it's a-ok normal to tunnel to your garage
I want my entire house connected by underground tunnels. No doors, only submarine hatches and ladders.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I'm moving to an apartment that has an attached garage in a month and I am just so excited!

What is the thread's opinion on carports?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I want my entire house connected by underground tunnels. No doors, only submarine hatches and ladders.

The advanced version of this is that your house is just a bare patch of concrete with a trapdoor set in it, covered by lawn. Drive your car down the ramp that the trapdoor covers, and your entire house is underground.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

a bar of deoderant,

Every time I try this, it ends up melting and leaving a mess all over the place. Probably should try a different brand.

I also leave a pack of these hand wipes in the glovebox in all my cars. Keeps the touch surfaces in the car a lot cleaner when you can get all the crud off your hands.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

IIRC garages were detached on account of either being added after the main house when cars became popular, and/or due to perceived increased fire risk from cars blowing up

Detached garages became a thing when your vehicle literally making GBS threads on the floor on a daily basis started to offend people. Cars came later.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I don't know if the idea of detached garages had as much to do with thought about cars or a holdover from the past. I think all the carriage houses I know of from before automobiles are detached.

And I drive wearing two Nintendo power gloves at all times.

e: ^ beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Would if I could.

Would also bury a fallout shelter in the garden for the kids to play in if I could.

There are many fine buriable options, from used/not running minivans or SUVs, through school or municipal buses, all the way up to old boxcars and shipping containers.

If you have the space available, I understand retired jetliner fuselages can be had at reasonable cost. (The unreasonable part starts with shipping and burying that sucker. Plus optional prep work to make it livable/not corrode into collapse within a year.)