Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

My impression of Kale specifically was that her transformation is based off envy rather than anger, which is why she doesn't go regular SSJ. There is definitely room for expansion in her stuff and that alone makes her interesting.

The_Frag_Man posted:

When future Trunks went back to a different future, was Bulma still alive? Do they still have a time machine? I hope he comes back. Maybe he has a kid with Mai. :3:

Yeah, the timeline Whis sent them to was one where the Zamasu/Black stuff never happened so Bulma should still be alive. But there is also another version of Trunks and Mai for whom that's their "home" timeline so it's complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

YF-23 posted:

Yeah, the timeline Whis sent them to was one where the Zamasu/Black stuff never happened so Bulma should still be alive. But there is also another version of Trunks and Mai for whom that's their "home" timeline so it's complicated.

So future Trunks learned the fusion dance from young Trunks, and comes back with the other future Trunks who together can fuse into.. double Trunks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what happens if Future Double Trunks fuses with Gotenks

Does Goten just completely vanish, or become a fourth Trunks?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I like how whenever Freeza shows up he's just tormenting some fool. That shot of him in the next episode preview was good too, is he laughing at the power of love? If he's immune and they're able to beat that universe due to bringing him along it would be great.

I'm expecting something like "Ah, this reminds me of the Ginyu Force."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

It's because Pilaf never had the guts to kill somebody. I bet even his stupid pinball dungeon had safeties built in.

Then why was his dungeon full of skeletons? Pilaf is hardcore. Everyone is going to come home from the tournament of power to find Pilaf used the oppratunity to use the dragonballs and become emperor of earth.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Then why was his dungeon full of skeletons?

There is a 100 percent chance that Pilaf is either squatting in someone else's abandoned evil layer or that those skeletons are literal toys.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The pride troopers are incredibly boring and I hope they all die and their universe gets erased

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

toppo's cool and jiren will be focused on soon but yea the other 8 are pretty bland

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Andrast posted:

Broly is a bad character from bad movies

That's not unfair, but if that's the reason then where is all the Lord Slug and Dr. Wheelo hate?

I find the reason behind Broly's berserker-ness to be dumb, but in a laughably silly way. Like if Broly was in the original Dragonball, that explanation would fit right in. The fact it's played straight, like we are supposed to take him not liking Goku crying seriously enchances the laughable absurdity of it in my mind. But I can understand just finding it to be stupid.

I think, just as a character, Kale is nearly better by Broly by default. It's a little unfair to Broly because he comes from not-great movies while Kale comes from a good show and has had more on-screen time AND actually talks like a normal person instead of Broly who is silent in his "normal" form and his bad dad does all the talking about his backstory for him.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

YF-23 posted:

My impression of Kale specifically was that her transformation is based off envy rather than anger, which is why she doesn't go regular SSJ. There is definitely room for expansion in her stuff and that alone makes her interesting.
That's only true last week. She did it the Vegeta way this week. The U6 Saiyans are really new at this, but they develop quickly with the limited time they're given since their introduction. I bet if Kale masters her SSJ form shown this week she'll stay in it full time like Jennifer Walters.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's boring and the reason for his Berserker rage is dumb.

The same could also be said of Kale, but to a lesser extent on both counts - she at least has one or two character traits besides "is real mad about crying babies" and being in love with Caulifla is infinitely more understandable than having a monstrous, universe-destroying grudge over crying babies.

I mean, being around crying babies once if not a lot of the time is possibly one of the most annoying sounds in existence, but Broly could maybe be more angry over the fact that he, I dunno, has been hated and nearly tried to be killed by King Vegeta or used as nothing but a tool by his dad. You know, hate how poo poo most of his life is just because of a power he was born with and actually become something of a unique joke within Dragon Ball of the guy with MAXIMUM POWER hating the fact that he has it?

Kale actually has goals and desires she doesn't let herself have until now because people have treated her like poo poo except for Caulifa. I sympathize with that little berserker more because her breakdowns are a lot more human and understandable instead of KAKAROT CRIED.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's not unfair, but if that's the reason then where is all the Lord Slug and Dr. Wheelo hate?

They have gotten much less attention so people basically forgot about them, unlike Broly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dr wheelo's movie is one of the best dbz movies

slug is dumb but not on the same level as broly

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They also didn't get three movies like Broly did.

Kale's transformation this week was based on her wanting to not be a burden, it's not really like Vegeta where he just wanted to beat Goku. I'd put this more on the level of something like Cabba's transformation.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

To be fair, Kale is also triggered by a crying baby. (she is the crying baby). :smug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Momomo posted:

Kale's transformation this week was based on her wanting to not be a burden, it's not really like Vegeta where he just wanted to beat Goku. I'd put this more on the level of something like Cabba's transformation.

Universe 6's transformations are a lot more heroic than their 7 counterparts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I think the point of comparison is that they were both mad at themselves rather than another person like the rest of the saiyans (barring caulifla who just has back problems)

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Should I add Vegeta's armor to the little discourse chef? Or maybe his pink collared shirt would be even better.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jedah posted:

Should I add Vegeta's armor to the little discourse chef? Or maybe his pink collared shirt would be even better.

The latter

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Badman's Seal of Approval.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

graham cracker posted:

To be fair, Kale is also triggered by a crying baby. (she is the crying baby). :smug:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bell_ posted:

That's only true last week. She did it the Vegeta way this week. The U6 Saiyans are really new at this, but they develop quickly with the limited time they're given since their introduction. I bet if Kale masters her SSJ form shown this week she'll stay in it full time like Jennifer Walters.

That's a lot like learning how to control it though, like how every other saiyan goes SSJ with back tingles instead of feeling angry. I feel like the basis for it is envy, with Kale being angry at herself that she's not measuring up.

Jedah posted:

If it works better for you, there's also the larger version.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Wheelo's a cool robot, but robots aren't punchmans. Slug was just... What did he bring to the table? Everything he did was something other Namekians already did, but he called it Super. :geno: Huzzah.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Let's look at how all the Saiyans went SSJ:

Goku: saw Krillin die and lost his poo poo
Vegeta: tried to train too much on some meteor, got upset and lost his poo poo
Future Trunks: saw future Gohan dead and lost his poo poo
Gohan: realized he was the weak link of the z-fighters and lost his poo poo
Goten and Trunks: ???
Cabba: Vegeta threatened to blow up planet salad and he lost his poo poo
Caulifla: midochlorians back tingles
Kale: saw big sis getting too friendly with Cabba and lost her poo poo

With the exception of Goten, Trunks and Caulifa, seems like losing your poo poo is a preface to going Super Saiyan, ya'all.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wheelo is generally well liked because World's Strongest is a fun movie.

Lord Slug is just an adaptation of Demon King Piccolo, but at least it tries to bring that concept into the more Sci Fi world of Dragon Ball Z, which is something I appreciate over them just stealing the plot to a Z arc and adapting it differently.

Broly could have been cool, I admit I know nothing about how the movies were made and all that, but the whole him hating Goku thing always felt like some board room meeting poo poo. He has a real strong motivation to hate Vegeta and Paragus, but it's a Dragonball movie so we need him to fight Goku. I think if they had just gone with him hating Vegeta there wouldn't be as much backlash against him as there is today, but you know, that's how it went. At least Kale's Goku freak out has some logic behind it and now that Kale is in control they can expand her past being a Broly look alike and we can see, hopefully, more of her character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we see why goten transformed, he was training with his mom and got mad because she was kicking his rear end

kid trunks is the only mystery

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This is missing stuff like "SSJ2 Gohan vs Perfect Cell [No Filler] [HD remaster]" by an uploader called SSJ3GokuTrueHDDBZ

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ocatamai posted:

If the tournament only lasts 45 Earth minutes am I supposed to be led to believe that Goku can't fight at full power for 45 minutes? Any of them?

Why are they trying to reserve power when the tournament is less than an hour long? cmon Toei :colbert:

Could you run at full speed for 45 minutes?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YF-23 posted:

If it works better for you, there's also the larger version.

Whoa, that's the first time I've seen the big version of discourse chef, thanks. I'll have to recreate it using the high quality pic.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 30, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

seiferguy posted:

With the exception of Goten, Trunks and Caulifa, seems like losing your poo poo is a preface to going Super Saiyan, ya'all.

Tends to be, but with even a bit of discipline and training you learn how to control it, regularly access it, and refine it. I imagine it's something straddling the line between an innate ability and a technique.

Imagine if you never punched someone before. Then one day you got really upset, lashed out, and clubbed someone with your fist. That's what Goku did on Namek, and in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber he and Gohan refined it so they didn't have to throw wild, tear-stained haymakers every time they punched.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fuego Fish posted:

I'll be running another Dragon Ball Parallels playtest, tonight (Sunday), once again at 11pm local time (6pm Eastern for Americans). We'll be putting together characters and going on a brief adventure for 'bout 2 hours or so. As before, it'll be on the Traditional Games discord server so be there if you wanna take part or listen in.

Reminder that this is happening in four and a half hours!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Technically you're not right about Trunks who in the manga was Super Saiyan before Gohan died.

I mean thematically the anime version feels a lot cooler but Trunks needing to lose his poo poo to go Super Saiyan was made there.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
17, 18, Caulifla and Kale were awesome as fuuuuck

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Higher quality PNG:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 30, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Di molto bene

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

:perfect:

ImpAtom posted:

Technically you're not right about Trunks who in the manga was Super Saiyan before Gohan died.

I mean thematically the anime version feels a lot cooler but Trunks needing to lose his poo poo to go Super Saiyan was made there.

Was about to mention this, but yeah. Which explains why kid Trunks could go Super Saiyan when he was young in the manga.

Still need Pan and/or Bra to transform one of these days.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Covok posted:

Yeah, not going to lie, that was a weak, kind of weird revelation to gain power.

its literally what gohan did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Covok posted:

Anyone else really loving annoyed that both Gohan and Goku have the same voice actor? Like I'm constantly confusing the two.

And Turles. And Goten. And Bardock. And Goku Black.

IcePhoenix posted:

Vegeta gained SSJ by throwing a temper tantrum because Goku had something he wanted but couldn't have. And no, that's not TFS revisionism.

To be fair, you should probably factor in the destruction of his planet as well as his enslavement, horrific beating, and the subsequent murdering of his person at the hands of Frieza into that temper tantrum.

It'd have to be a pretty bitter pill to swallow that you spent your whole life training to topple some guy and that loser Saiyan you beat up on Earth shows you up and does it while you get killed.