Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

Presumably it doesn't work like this, since Goku had to ask Baba for help and King Yemma for permission to bring Freeza back, as opposed to simply teleporting to hell and prison breaking him.

I assumed he was just being polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheHan posted:

Yeah but that's still in his own universe, he seems to have trouble getting to Beerus's planet so there's definitely some kind of limit.

Beerus' planet is really far away.

Rutibex posted:

Is there anything stopping Goku from instant transmissioning back to the living world when he is dead? He can go the other way around, and dead people seem to exist fine in the living world with their halos.

I suppose its more a matter of Goku hating his friends and family. He abandoned his family to train Uub, when he could very easily just teleport (or heck even fly!) back home for the night.

Nothing explicit but it seems there's something preventing it. Also Bojack had him punch him in the face a pop back. Also Goku didn't abandon his family its shown in Neko Majin that they all hung out together.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jedah posted:

I got the impression that was Goku needing their permission to release Freeza from his punishment in hell, and that they had the ability to free Freeza for 24 hours. But I won't pretend to know how this works.

If he just randomly decided to release Freeza from hell without notifying anybody, Beerus would probably catch wind of it (from one of the Kaiohs), and erase him on the spot. Don't you think?
Goku might not be able to take other people with him or leave the Afterlife if he or they are dead at the time, but there's the 24 hour clause which they're milking.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kild posted:

Nothing explicit but it seems there's something preventing it. Also Bojack had him punch him in the face a pop back. Also Goku didn't abandon his family its shown in Neko Majin that they all hung out together.

i cant wait until they do a timeskip and reveal that neko majin is canon

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Jedah posted:

I got the impression that was Goku needing their permission to release Freeza from his punishment in hell, and that they had the ability to free Freeza for 24 hours. But I won't pretend to know how this works.

If he just randomly decided to release Freeza from hell without notifying anybody, Beerus would probably catch wind of it (from one of the Kaiohs), and erase him on the spot. Don't you think?

Yeah, that's what I mean. Goku actually went through the process instead of saying "Hey let's add Freeza to the team" and then teleporting to hell and bringing him back, which implies the process is actually necessary instead of instant transmission making you immune to being dead.

Rutibex posted:

I assumed he was just being polite.

Since when has Goku ever been polite about overcoming obstacles between him and a fight?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Nessus posted:

Goku might not be able to take other people with him or leave the Afterlife if he or they are dead at the time, but there's the 24 hour clause which they're milking.

That's a good point, maybe he can teleport there, but can't prison-break dead people on his own.

I can't think of a situation where a living Goku has tried to grab somebody from the afterlife and brought them back to the living realm. The Freeza situation was unique, since he had King Yemma's permission and Baba to help aide him.

Kanos posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Goku actually went through the process instead of saying "Hey let's add Freeza to the team" and then teleporting to hell and bringing him back, which implies the process is actually necessary instead of instant transmission making you immune to being dead.

We love to mock Goku for being dense, but he actually did something... somewhat intelligent here. :thunk:

Freeza hasn't turned his back on his teammates (yet), but he probably won't, since all the other universes are quickly losing their numbers. It remains to be seen if he'll try to team up with Frost and backstab his teammates, but my guess is that he'll think Frost is weak and not worthy of being on Team Freeza.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kelp Plankton posted:

i cant wait until they do a timeskip and reveal that neko majin is canon

Neko Majin is objectively more canon than GT.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/891715598316654593

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Neko Majin is objectively more canon than GT.

You gotta wonder why Sorbet never recruited Frieza's son to help the empire.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kuriza isn't born until after the tournament of power, when Frieza is resurrected and settles down with his new boyfriend Frost

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Kuriza isn't born until after the tournament of power, when Frieza is resurrected and settles down with his new boyfriend Frost

I legit thought Frieza was a woman until I saw the Kai dub. It actually kind of lessened the character when I found out he was a man.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Baba was ultimately the one that brought Freeza over to the living side.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Is there anything stopping Goku from instant transmissioning back to the living world when he is dead? He can go the other way around, and dead people seem to exist fine in the living world with their halos.

I suppose its more a matter of Goku hating his friends and family. He abandoned his family to train Uub, when he could very easily just teleport (or heck even fly!) back home for the night.

In Z, the only thing stopping him was Shin. King Kai made a comment in the bojack movie about how that wasn't allowed and could bring repercussions from up the chain. Once we learn that Shin is a chump it really loses its weight. In super it becomes a little more scary, because that is presumably part of what Beerus is supposed to handle.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah it's a lot more intimidating when you consider exactly what the higher rungs of "the chain" are like

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Kelp Plankton posted:

Speaking of Frost, he's been such a huge disappointment. We finally get another (canon) member of Frieza's race and he turns out to be less powerful, less visually interesting (no transformations), and has Frieza's same cartoon villain aspirations but goes about it in a more limpdick way before turning into Hit's bitch. They couldn't even make him Bizarro Good Frieza, an incredibly tired chicle which is somehow still more interesting than what we've got. Someone on another forum described him as Diet Frieza, and that's really the perfect way to describe him. I hope that he and Frieza's supposed plan redeems him somehow, either by changing his personality or by Frieza offing him.

Between Hit being Purple Pikkon and Frost being Diet Frieza, I have no idea how people can call Kale U6's weakest character.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Manatee Cannon posted:

anime filler; that scene isn't in the manga at all. this is where he first tries and when goku tells him to his his anger against cell and freeza (the latter of which I did forget about to be fair):

this is when he first transforms:

next time you see him he has short hair:

i think this is a situation where the anime genuinely does it better. gohan coming to terms with having to be saved as often as he did seemed like a cool step forward compared to "gahh im mad too lol"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

extra row of teeth posted:

Speaking of Frost, he's been such a huge disappointment. We finally get another (canon) member of Frieza's race and he turns out to be less powerful, less visually interesting (no transformations), and has Frieza's same cartoon villain aspirations but goes about it in a more limpdick way before turning into Hit's bitch. They couldn't even make him Bizarro Good Frieza, an incredibly tired chicle which is somehow still more interesting than what we've got. Someone on another forum described him as Diet Frieza, and that's really the perfect way to describe him. I hope that he and Frieza's supposed plan redeems him somehow, either by changing his personality or by Frieza offing him.

Between Hit being Purple Pikkon and Frost being Diet Frieza, I have no idea how people can call Kale U6's weakest character.

I hope Frost and Frieza fuse to form Absolute Zero.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

we see why goten transformed, he was training with his mom and got mad because she was kicking his rear end

kid trunks is the only mystery
This might have been anime filler but wasn't he training with Vegeta in a gravity chamber and I think Vegeta either kept yelling about how weak he was or punched him in the nose, which triggered it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh, you know why.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

HGH posted:

This might have been anime filler but wasn't he training with Vegeta in a gravity chamber and I think Vegeta either kept yelling about how weak he was or punched him in the nose, which triggered it?

He got it before that scene.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Please don't post spoilers from the Muppets Arc.

tbp posted:

i think this is a situation where the anime genuinely does it better. gohan coming to terms with having to be saved as often as he did seemed like a cool step forward compared to "gahh im mad too lol"

Though, it was weird that Gohan makes a point he has no idea what Cell looks like only to imagine Perfect Cell killing Piccolo and Chi-Chi.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though, it was weird that Gohan makes a point he has no idea what Cell looks like only to imagine Perfect Cell killing Piccolo and Chi-Chi.

I thought he imagined Freeza instead, because he had no idea what Cell looked like.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rutibex posted:

I thought he imagined Freeza instead, because he had no idea what Cell looked like.

Pretty sure the Cell in the time chamber sequence was filler. I'm actually watching the Cell arc of Kai right now because I never saw the Cell Games in the original Toonami run and that scene wasn't in it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spiderdrake posted:

I always wonder if that stuff is any good, but half the reviews are people whining about salt or the weird western racism over msg. The rest are "it's good!!!"

Also this episode was really good but I don't really care they're dunking on SSJ transformations at all so maybe I'm not a true Z fan.

VEGETA spice is okay. It's like borderline powdered soup lol. I like it on eggs sometimes, it's pretty much salt with herbs.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

deadly_pudding posted:

VEGETA spice is okay. It's like borderline powdered soup lol. I like it on eggs sometimes, it's pretty much salt with herbs.

Had no idea there was a salty VEGETA spice, that it pre-dated Dragonball, and that its mascot was the origin of our discourse chef.

What a time to be alive

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Why are these less acceptable than Kale's obvious references?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Justin_Brett posted:

Why are these less acceptable than Kale's obvious references?

Kale doesn't have a reference because Broly isn't canon :smuggo:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kale is good and if you disagree then you are bad

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
all the SS transformations prior to goten/trunks (who kinda ruin the idea) are actually pretty cool, motivation wise. you see goku pushed to the brink in a fully apocalyptic showdown where the heroes dont ever even come close to the villain, vegeta's makes a ton of sense because over the past year or so his entire sense of self was flipped upside down and he was frustrated at the disconnect with how he saw himself and what reality showed him, gohan (in the anime, i guess) was good because his entire arc is about having to step into the power that he was born with and realizing that he's been a liability fairly often when he could in fact be the savior and future trunks is as classic shonen oh no my mentor as you can get

goten/kid trunks kinda ruin the theme that SSJ requires some explosive burst of emotion once a requisite level of power has been reached. it was neat that they gave a pithy, quarter of an episode attempt at giving cabba that motivation but i can see why folks would be unhappy that caulifla didn't really need anything of the sort, too. even though there was a lot of SSJs, up until the buu arc at least it all made sense WHY they got there in my head

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my interpretation was that caulifla was already mentally prepared to become a super saiyan, she just needed to actually try and focus her energy or something

Covok
May 27, 2013

tbp posted:

all the SS transformations prior to goten/trunks (who kinda ruin the idea) are actually pretty cool, motivation wise. you see goku pushed to the brink in a fully apocalyptic showdown where the heroes dont ever even come close to the villain, vegeta's makes a ton of sense because over the past year or so his entire sense of self was flipped upside down and he was frustrated at the disconnect with how he saw himself and what reality showed him, gohan (in the anime, i guess) was good because his entire arc is about having to step into the power that he was born with and realizing that he's been a liability fairly often when he could in fact be the savior and future trunks is as classic shonen oh no my mentor as you can get

goten/kid trunks kinda ruin the theme that SSJ requires some explosive burst of emotion once a requisite level of power has been reached. it was neat that they gave a pithy, quarter of an episode attempt at giving cabba that motivation but i can see why folks would be unhappy that caulifla didn't really need anything of the sort, too. even though there was a lot of SSJs, up until the buu arc at least it all made sense WHY they got there in my head

I still think people are missing the joke. Caulifla is Goku. I know a lot of American fans forget the original, but Goku sees Master Roshi use the Kamehameha Wave ONCE, a move it took Roshi a lifetime to develop and master, and Goku duplicates perfectly to the shock of everyone. Caulfila is the same way: she sees someone do something she wants to do once and she can mimic it, for the most part. Kale is Gohan. When she loses her poo poo, she powers up. And, I guess, she even had the same anime revelation: got control of her power when she cursed herself for always being a liability, not an asset. Alt universes and such.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She's definitely the most hot headed of virtually any Sayian we've met.

Also yeah, no one can complain about how cheap SSJ is now because Kid Trunks and Goten already flew that coop aaaaaaages ago.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

deadly_pudding posted:

Gohan

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The real question is who's U6 Trunks?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

He's nobody important. Trunks's good twin from U6 never distinguished himself by committing the heinous crime of time travel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

He was on Earth

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rutibex posted:

He does. He has a nightmare about Perfect Cell, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqS559YTX6s

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Never existed, hence why U6 is better than U7, they didn't have anyone ruining everything through time travel and horrendous unluck.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

magetta

actually he doesn't exist yet because cabba has no kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

deadly_pudding posted: