Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mustached Demon posted:

I met the lady who runs the analysis lab for the city waste plant. She told me about a 10-20lb slug of mercury that came down the pipe. I think they eventually found them too don't remember.

Did they find the perp because he was putting up YouTube videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVaaZ21C44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There was some fire in a petrochemical refinery last saturday, prob caused by a shortcircuit somewhere. Then they said, they would have to burn any escaping gas in a controlled way to prevent more trouble later. They temporarily shutdown the factory.

Now there's a second incident at the same factory, which was still shut down but they were cleaning pipes or something. A cloud of hydrogen fluoride gas has been released and is slowly drifting towards Rotterdam. Firefighters are trying to stop it by covering it with water and workers in the factory are trying to stop the leak.

No more news yet but this sounds Not Good.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
O_O

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RIP rotterdam

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I feel like this is a book where the main character just can't catch a break. Like the previous two events were bad, but wait till you see what happens in chapter three!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The good news: licensing is usually dependent on either having enough water to knock down an acid cloud and/or a shelter in place contingent because HF loves water so goddamn much it makes kind of a bad wide area acid gas so you can get away with really clearing your sinuses out after duct taping garbage bags to the window.

It's usually ground zero problems. Usually.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Europe's largest refinery, so yeah RIP lots of things.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There was some fire in a petrochemical refinery last saturday, prob caused by a shortcircuit somewhere. Then they said, they would have to burn any escaping gas in a controlled way to prevent more trouble later. They temporarily shutdown the factory.

Now there's a second incident at the same factory, which was still shut down but they were cleaning pipes or something. A cloud of hydrogen fluoride gas has been released and is slowly drifting towards Rotterdam. Firefighters are trying to stop it by covering it with water and workers in the factory are trying to stop the leak.

Does anyone have a source on this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Got the fire but nothing on the gas leak.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Zopotantor posted:

Did they find the perp because he was putting up YouTube videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVaaZ21C44

No one should have this much mercury in their 'shed'

I can feel my kidneys failing just watching this

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Don't worry, one of Cody's other hobbies will probably kill him LONG before the mercury becomes an issue. Mine collapse, one of the antique drills exploding, one of his explosives exploding for that matter...

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Oh good to know, I am no longer worried

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

funmanguy posted:

No one should have this much mercury in their 'shed'

I can feel my kidneys failing just watching this

He got tested in a later episode and his body didn’t have elevated levels of mercury after that stunt.

But I agree that keeping that much mercury in a shed is insane.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I don't fully understand the process that makes mercury dangerous. Pure elemental mercury is relatively safe, it's only when it gets alkylated in some way that it becomes dangerous, right? How does that happen?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Update:

Officials are now talking about "a very small concentration" that never left the refinery grounds. Firefighters kept putting water on the source of the leak while Shell people worked to get it fixed, which was done at 1 am local time or about 2hrs after the leak started.

The police decided to drive through some nearby neighbourhoods and tell people to go inside even though no official environmental danger alert was given yet. Some local organisation that is in charge of measuring levels of any environmentally dangerous substances emitted by the industries published the statement that it was drifting towards Rotterdam. Officials are saying this was never the case, the amount was so little it never got off the Shell refinery grounds, and they will investigate why this statement was published, because it was just scaring people for no reason.

They did measurements in a radius around the refinery and no HF was measured anywhere. Of course there were about 29 people nearby complaining about a strange smell but I'm guessing they were smelling their own butt, and being scared by the news, they decided to report that.

source

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Aug 1, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mercury accumulation will mess you up regardless of how it accumulated. Liquid mercury is "safe" in that if you were to drink it, it would basically go straight through you without much of it being absorbed - heck, even if you were to inject it for some reason, it causes more problems by physically blocking up your blood vessels than by toxic effects. Mercury vapour is much nastier though, if you breathe it in it ends up sticking around.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Keiya posted:

Don't worry, one of Cody's other hobbies will probably kill him LONG before the mercury becomes an issue. Mine collapse, one of the antique drills exploding, one of his explosives exploding for that matter...

Or, you know... drinking cyanide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNpO5vvhpk

Edit: for good measure: or biting into sodium metal, because why the gently caress not https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj6vn8LlA04

Aramis has a new favorite as of 06:49 on Aug 1, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I don't fully understand the process that makes mercury dangerous. Pure elemental mercury is relatively safe, it's only when it gets alkylated in some way that it becomes dangerous, right? How does that happen?

Mercury really really likes organosulfur compounds so it gunks up a number of biological processes that involve them. Your nervous system has a bunch if you didn't guess that.

Methyl mercury is even worse because the methyl groups let the mercury easily cross various membranes/barriers it'd have a harder time crossing. Lots of things go from benign to murder machine when methylated.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Oh I understand why it's bad when it's methylated, I didn't understand how it gets methylated but it turns out bacteria like doing that, little bastards.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Mustached Demon posted:

Methyl mercury is even worse because the methyl groups let the mercury easily cross various membranes/barriers it'd have a harder time crossing. Lots of things go from benign to murder machine when methylated.

Trimethylaluminum can't cross membranes, though. :supaburn:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Oh I understand why it's bad when it's methylated, I didn't understand how it gets methylated but it turns out bacteria like doing that, little bastards.

Ohh gotchya. Humans make a bunch of it too. We suck.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zemyla posted:

Trimethylaluminum can't cross membranes, though. :supaburn:

Still a methylated murder machine.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
The Karen Wetterhahn case will haunt me until the end of my days. Possibly one of the worst deaths imaginable. Is there even any kind of chelation therapy for dimethylmercury?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mustached Demon posted:

Ohh gotchya. Humans make a bunch of it too. We suck.

quote:

The chemical reaction used to produce the acetaldehyde used mercury sulfate as a catalyst. Starting August 1951, the co-catalyst was changed from manganese dioxide to ferric sulfide.[10] A side reaction of this catalytic cycle led to the production of a small amount of an organic mercury compound, namely methylmercury.[11] This highly toxic compound was released into Minamata Bay from the change of the co-catalyst in 1951 until 1968, when this production method was discontinued.[12]

quote:

On October 21, 1959, Chisso was ordered by the Ministry of International Trade and Industry to switch back its wastewater drainage from the Minamata River to Hyakken Harbour and to speed up the installation of wastewater treatment systems at the factory. Chisso installed a Cyclator purification system on December 19, 1959, and opened it with a special ceremony. Chisso's president Kiichi Yoshioka drank a glass of water supposedly treated through the Cyclator to demonstrate that it was safe. In fact, the wastewater from the acetaldehyde plant, which the company knew still contained mercury and led to Minamata disease when fed to cats, was not treated through the Cyclator at the time. Testimony at a later Niigata Minamata disease trial proved that Chisso knew the Cyclator to be completely ineffective: "The purification tank was installed as a social solution and did nothing to remove organic mercury."[23]

The deception was successful and almost all parties involved in Minamata disease were duped into believing that the factory's wastewater had been made safe from December 1959 onward. This widespread assumption meant that doctors were not expecting new patients to appear, resulting in numerous problems in the years to follow, as the pollution continued. In most people's minds, the issue of Minamata disease had been resolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

quote:

Chisso president later chairman Yutaka Egashira (Later maternal grandfather of Masako, Crown Princess of Japan) used yakuza in order to threaten and silence patients and their supporters.[8] Patients and their supporters started the "single shareholder" movement by buying one share of Chisso each, which was aimed at accusing the executives of Chisso in its general meeting. A thousand of the single shareholders participating in the movement gathered in front of a hall in Osaka to attend the general meeting called on November 28, 1970, but the company prevented them from entering the hall by asking yakuza to become shareholders and occupy the hall. The meeting ended in five minutes with all the bills submitted by the board approved.[8]

In addition, Chisso had American photographer and photo-journalist W. Eugene Smith beaten by yakuza goons after Smith published a highly regarded photo-essay showing the caustic injuries and birth defects Chisso had caused the Minamata population.[9][10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisso

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The Karen Wetterhahn case will haunt me until the end of my days. Possibly one of the worst deaths imaginable. Is there even any kind of chelation therapy for dimethylmercury?

She did undergo chelation therapy but that much mercury was too much. Suppose a lower dose could be treatable.

Note: it was only a couple drops, at most, from a pipette

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Holy poo poo I didn't know about all the Yakuza stuff involved in that case. I'd be rolling out the guillotine for that monster.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mustached Demon posted:

She did undergo chelation therapy but that much mercury was too much. Suppose a lower dose could be treatable.

Note: it was only a couple drops, at most, from a pipette

Yeah the dosage involved being so microscopic is part of what makes it so terrifying.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists > Things that go FOOF in the night: Still a methylated murder machine

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mustached Demon posted:

Couldn't find any info on its toxicity, but it does seem to be the sort of thing that catches fire if you blink in its general direction?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Couldn't find any info on its toxicity, but it does seem to be the sort of thing that catches fire if you blink in its general direction?

Yep. It's one of the things Derek Lowe would rather not work with for just that reason.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's used as a payload in sounding rocket experiements to create chemtrails big clouds in the upper atmosphere for easy observation.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

"Pollution was so heavy at the mouth of the wastewater canal, a figure of 2 kg of mercury per ton of sediment was measured: a level that would be economically viable to mine. Indeed, Chisso did later set up a subsidiary to reclaim and sell the mercury recovered from the sludge.[17]"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So does anyone know where I could acquire a mercury toilet because I need that in my [soon to be short] life

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

that ivy guy posted:

"Pollution was so heavy at the mouth of the wastewater canal, a figure of 2 kg of mercury per ton of sediment was measured: a level that would be economically viable to mine. Indeed, Chisso did later set up a subsidiary to reclaim and sell the mercury recovered from the sludge.[17]"
:capitalism: at its finest

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

that ivy guy posted:

[SCREAMS INFINITELY]

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

that ivy guy posted:

Recycling works!

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Imagine being that cartoonishly evil. That guy has the villains on Captain Planet taking a step back going "drat dude."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

So does anyone know where I could acquire a mercury toilet because I need that in my [soon to be short] life
I reckon it would be relatively easy to build one. Put a huge mercury tank in the attic and hook it up to the toilet, although you'd probably need to reinforce the house and get some seriously heavy duty valves. For the other end you'd need a septic tank and call hazmat every time it's full, although they could probably just slurp off the top layer and recycle the mercury back into your tank.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Methylmurdery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Code Jockey posted:

that dude should fill the toilet with mercury instead of water and piss in it for the next video