Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Torrhen Stark could only offer his loyalty in perpetuity. Common law (yeah I know its not really England but come on) forbids perpetuity beyond the lives of those who offer them. If you look at The North as property, then the perpetuity ended with the death of Torrhen Stark and his heir would be required to swear fealty when he inherited the wardenship of the north.

I think. IANAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're trying awfully hard to hate the show when you won't even consider that a huge ultra rich bank wouldn't engage in some shady trade just because it's "illegal" locally.

Being anti slavery was kind of like, a core founding principle of braavosi society, not just some law to be ignored. They definitely don't give a poo poo lol.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Bankers going against high-minded principles to make some money? This show has jumped the loving shark.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its wonderful that the best idea KellyC had ever since she arrived at Westeros ("Ill take my dragons and wreck the enemy navy") was immediately dismissed by her advisors.

She surrounded herself with some dumb fuckers, Tyrion included

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah they usually make a big deal of it any time a character breaks a deeply-held principle, like jaime tearing up the letter. Other characters go out of their way to avoid it, like arya not throwing away needle. This one is just sorta random and flippant. I mean, maybe he's just telling Cersei what she wants to hear so he can stick around and be better able to pick a winner, that'd be reasonable, but it'd be weird to just toss that one without any attention called to it.

It's not that out of character for a bank but like, the iron bank is special and representative of braavos as a whole. It'd be like fictionalizing a movie about john brown's rebellion where his treasurer enslaves native americans to fund the war.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So ellariah's actress confirmed that the bondge dungeon poison scene is the last we'll see of her or bad pussy.

Baller

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So they're gonna hire new actresses when they become wights and sit besides the Night King as his Snow Queens?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Did they changed the unsulied uniform? It really had a very bad cheap sci-fi look last episode

I haven't gone back and watched Season 1, but it certainly feels like the costumes are getting more…fashion oriented(?) as opposed to being period specific, but with a dash of flare. I could be completely full of poo poo but I can't be bothered to go back and look.

But speaking of going back and looking at things, I just checked the spoiler post from a few pages back and boy howdy should there be a lot more bold now.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

jaime went BUHWAH bc he finally got the proof that tyrion was 100% innocent and his dad and sister did everything they could to get him the death sentence

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dany spends 4 hours doing her hair each morning of the conquest.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Dany spends 4 hours making GBS threads while someone else does her hair each morning of the conquest.

ftfy

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Dangerllama posted:

I haven't gone back and watched Season 1, but it certainly feels like the costumes are getting more…fashion oriented(?) as opposed to being period specific, but with a dash of flare. I could be completely full of poo poo but I can't be bothered to go back and look.

I noticed this too. All the chicks have these like battle gowns now and it does look pretty cool but it's not real medieval. Euron looks like the new touring drummer for Journey or something.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

They always took liberties, in season 1 Jaime had a snazzy leather trenchcoat he might as well have stolen from Captain Reynolds.

And season 2 Qarth was probably the closest we got to a Stargate-esque look. Wacky collars everywhere.

But there's definitely been a modernisation, mostly for men's fashion. Fewer ugly doublets (look at what the Stark boys were wearing in the premiere) and extravagances like Joffrey's threads. Still a few around though, like Bran in the flashbacks.

The one constant is Jorah who is physically allergic to clean shirts.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 1, 2017

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

So ellariah's actress confirmed that the bondge dungeon poison scene is the last we'll see of her or bad pussy.

Baller

Just like edmure, once you enter the dungeons you never return. Even if friendly forces take the castle you're held in.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Popping in to say gently caress everyone but Davos

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*westeros covered in ice and darkness forever*

MEANWHILE

Sam: Should we help that Jalabhar guy get back his throne? I hear it's warm there.
Tyrion: Sure thing, kid. Pour me a stiff one, we're going in for round 3.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

Just like edmure, once you enter the dungeons you never return. Even if friendly forces take the castle you're held in.

hot-take, edmure is the only good lord in westeros and only becomes a laughingstock in the books because all of the PoV characters are bad

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

bloom posted:

Bankers going against high-minded principles to make some money? This show has jumped the loving shark.

Can you imagine the outrage if it came out that multiple international corporations cheerfully profited and supplied the nazi war machine?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dangerllama posted:

But speaking of going back and looking at things, I just checked the spoiler post from a few pages back and boy howdy should there be a lot more bold now.

The possible exception being the Kingsguard armor, which was more decorative and pretty in season 1 imo, with some kind of inlaid ivory or something. Then later it became a breastplate with a logo stamped on it. Less pretty but probably much more practical. Of course now we have the imperial death troopers lol.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Can you imagine the outrage if it came out that multiple international corporations cheerfully profited and supplied the nazi war machine?

Switzerland doesn't know what you mean.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

:ssh: America didn't have "stop genocide" as its founding principle - quite the opposite. Braavos is described as literally seizing slave ships in its own waters to this day. Obviously this isn't super important either way, the future of the iron bank doesn't matter much, I just wish we lived in a universe where we got books instead of this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think they'd still do it, but the Braavosi would riot and burn their offices if they learned. Their involvement in the slave trade should be a closely guarded secret even in Westeros.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't judge the show by its fashion. I judge it by how silly the helmets get with each new season. The Mountain looks like he has a mario enemy on his head.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though the Iron Bank are unprincipled capitalists that deal with slave states in the books too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why wouldn't Dany just lay siege to King's Landing without her dragons? Have the Unsullied surround the city and then use the dragons to wipe out the Lannister army while it is out in the field, then have Dothraki run down the survivors. The only other issue then is Euron, but his men are sailors not an army.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why wouldn't Dany just lay siege to King's Landing without her dragons? Have the Unsullied surround the city and then use the dragons to wipe out the Lannister army while it is out in the field, then have Dothraki run down the survivors. The only other issue then is Euron, but his men are sailors not an army.

C'mon, that's like the ONE idea the show actually bothered to address. Namely, that if she introduces herself by using eunuch robots to starve the capital while letting Dothraki rape and pillage the Crownlands, she'll be so hated that ruling King's Landing will make Meeeeerreeeeen look like a walk in the park.

Hence why the exotic brigade teleported to the Westerlands, while the Tyrells and the Dornish are supposed to be the ones taking King's Landing - they've done it before, no biggie, and they don't care if the Crownlands hate them. Not clear if that army is still on its way (and Cersei will need another rear end-pull to deal with it) or if it's supposed to have been intercepted by Jaime, or if it's gone over to Tarly with the QoT dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NihilCredo posted:

C'mon, that's like the ONE idea the show actually bothered to address. Namely, that if she introduces herself by using eunuch robots to starve the capital while letting Dothraki rape and pillage the Crownlands, she'll be so hated that ruling King's Landing will make Meeeeerreeeeen look like a walk in the park.

Hence why the exotic brigade teleported to the Westerlands, while the Tyrells and the Dornish are supposed to be the ones taking King's Landing - they've done it before, no biggie, and they don't care if the Crownlands hate them. Not clear if that army is still on its way (and Cersei will need another rear end-pull to deal with it) or if it's supposed to have been intercepted by Jaime, or if it's gone over to Tarly with the QoT dead.

The city let Cersei firebomb the great sept and didn't bat an eye.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
No, that was a tragic accident.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

The city let Cersei firebomb the great sept and didn't bat an eye.

Don't be silly, that was Tyrian!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't be silly, that was Tyrian!

The video game?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Dany: I can't possibly kill anyone while becoming Queen then everyone would hate me and that would be bad.

Jaime: So what that my sister's destroying the seven kingdoms no one will care when there's finally peace :shrug:

edit: I guess this is actually consistent, but it still seems dumb to me.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Lycus posted:

No, that was a tragic accident.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/oOc8t

Leaks for everyone! Oops.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah they usually make a big deal of it any time a character breaks a deeply-held principle, like jaime tearing up the letter. Other characters go out of their way to avoid it, like arya not throwing away needle. This one is just sorta random and flippant. I mean, maybe he's just telling Cersei what she wants to hear so he can stick around and be better able to pick a winner, that'd be reasonable, but it'd be weird to just toss that one without any attention called to it.

It's not that out of character for a bank but like, the iron bank is special and representative of braavos as a whole. It'd be like fictionalizing a movie about john brown's rebellion where his treasurer enslaves native americans to fund the war.

the bravvos origins story might not be part of the plot, I don't remember. I agree that its a bit odd that so much of their capital would be tied up in the slave trade, and that they would prefer to back a slaver over someone else. Not that bankers _arent_ complete pieces of poo poo, but it just seemed odd.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Huh, it's almost like having dragons is a huge force multiplier.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
braavos supporting the slave trade would be akin to haiti supporting the slave trade, which gently caress i dunno did that ever happen

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

hobbesmaster posted:

Or maybe there were 2 months between the last episodes!

Just think though when GRRM releases the books we'll have all these things happen and half a book detailing what food is being served at every inn along the way!

And the timelines still wouldn't make any goddamn sense.

counterfeitsaint posted:

His first words with Jon are gonna be like "drat bro you looked so badass when you were eating out that wildling pussy in that cave! Natural redheads amirte?"

*Stares at Sansa goonily.*

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Lycus posted:

Though the Iron Bank are unprincipled capitalists that deal with slave states in the books too.

No they aren't I mean yeah they trade some poo poo but they come down hard on on slaving or anything to do with Targ's which is where the actual split in the books come from.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

They loaned to the Targ regime throughout their reign too.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

violent sex idiot posted:

braavos supporting the slave trade would be akin to haiti supporting the slave trade, which gently caress i dunno did that ever happen

its like Israel turning into an apartheid state, huh guess I can't fault D&D on this one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kavak posted:

The video game?

I have no idea what autocorrect did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder what happens when an Iron Bank client defaults on a loan? It seems like everyone in the show is just borrowing freely from them with a few choice words. The bank's gotta have their own doomsday weapon or something, tucked away to punish late payments, or else the show is just making Mycroft look like an idiot for constantly backing the wrong horse.