Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Enfys posted:

Never change, Goodreads.

Am I imagining this, or did a writer send an irate reader a page full of commas and told him to apply them as desired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Enfys posted:

Never change, Goodreads.

Nicholas Sparks' account found

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Am I imagining this, or did a writer send an irate reader a page full of commas and told him to apply them as desired?

I remember reading something like this. The commas were written on a typewriter I think?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

an ebook i bought in the google play store won't open in the play books app no matter what i do.

A+, google :thumbsup:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Maybe you should try reading books instead of playing them

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

I remember reading something like this. The commas were written on a typewriter I think?

I think they're usually typed on a typewriter

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A human heart posted:

I think they're usually typed on a typewriter

:doh:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can anyone comment on the battery life of the Kindle Oasis without its cover?

I know the cover recharges it, but what battery life can one expect with the naked Oasis when reading?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I created a SHAMEFUL book thread to help push people into reading the books they've been putting off.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
New problem. We started book club. We picked the book thief and I hate it. I've mentioned this lack of enjoyment in a low key way to the woman who pitched it (who keeps saying that "she won" book club because her book got picked) and she's taken it extremely poorly.

She told me today that we should just stop talking about it because she loves it and thinks it's amazing. So great, now I get to quit book club after one goddamn meeting because suddenly I'm insulting this woman, her tastes, and everything she stands for :rolleyes:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Don't quit. Ignore her weird tantrums and express your dislike of it in a chill way as if it isn't a big deal to not like a particular book (because it isn't). Look at it as an exercise in advanced social skills: dealing with fragile egos that take everything personally. Also you'll do the bookclub a favour in not letting her run it into the ground by turning it into her personal validation machine. Book clubs don't really work when everyone has to nod along to the opinions of someone who is using social mores as a stick to beat people into acquiescence.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah, what's the point if everyone just agrees? I mean if everyone happens to like a book and discusses details then that's cool, but not wanting to talk to someone who doesn't like a book doesn't make a lick of sense

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

New problem. We started book club. We picked the book thief and I hate it. I've mentioned this lack of enjoyment in a low key way to the woman who pitched it (who keeps saying that "she won" book club because her book got picked) and she's taken it extremely poorly.

She told me today that we should just stop talking about it because she loves it and thinks it's amazing. So great, now I get to quit book club after one goddamn meeting because suddenly I'm insulting this woman, her tastes, and everything she stands for :rolleyes:

I hate/dislike about a quarter of the books my bookclub reads a year. There is a member who only suggests stupid things, in my opinion, and sometimes they get picked. Sometimes I just dislike the book.

Stand by your opinions, but don't be a dick. It's okay to be contrarian as long as you are able articulate why you dislike the book. You'll find 2 things: it will create some really good discussion, and there will be one or two other people that agree with you. One of the best meetings we had was when someone chose The Martian just because it was going to be a movie, and I hated it and the reason it was chosen. That turned into a great meeting about reader expectation, narration, plotting, structure, predictability, etc. And it turns out several other people also hated it. You can learn a lot about books, writing, and people with a bad book, too.

Also, you need to get out of your comfort zone sometimes, too. Reading a bad book now and then helps you contextualize what you read, and the next great book you read will be great. Book Club, where a discussion is guaranteed, is one of the best justifications for reading a bad book. Personalities aside, how can you expect a person to read a book you suggest that they might not like, if you aren't willing to do the same?

Someone else will be able to pick the next book, one you may enjoy, and that'll be fun too. If the next person says they "won" bookclub, then I'd politely explain that book club isn't a competition, it's a collaboration and discussion. Or you could politely tell the person that's bothering you the same thing, away from the group, so you don't embarrass them.

Also, with our book club, the person that chose the last book doesn't get to suggest another book at the next meeting (but they still get to vote), to guarantee each member gets their chance to have their book chosen, but still keeping it open to suggestion and democracy.

edit: Also, don't tell your opinions about the book to anyone before the meeting, save them for the meeting. It'll save you a lot of hassle, especially with that member, and promote better discussion.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 13, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

i don't really know why you want to be in a book club with this person

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks for the good advice. I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out. The more I read the book the easier it is to articulate why I don't like it, so I'll just keep plodding along. I cannot believe this book is 550 pages though

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best strategy for reading Pale Fire?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Two book marks. Read the intro, read the poem, then read the notes and refer back to the poem as much as you want.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the book thief does suck really bad

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PRADA SLUT posted:

Write every stanza of the poem on a 3x5 index card.

Read only the index cards. Shuffle. Repeat.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the book thief does suck really bad

I was really surprised it was so bad. So many people love this book and it reads like a freshman creative writing assignment taken to slash fiction levels of dedication

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

just read the drat book, its not a video game

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

I was really surprised it was so bad. So many people love this book and it reads like a freshman creative writing assignment taken to slash fiction levels of dedication

Welcome to 21st Century pop fiction

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A human heart posted:

just read the drat book, its not a video game

OH god, I wasn't going to do this

I plotted this like months ago the last time you shat up a BotM thread but I decided to show mercy

But that setup is too perfect

:siren: :siren: :siren: YOU FACE A MOD CHALLENGE :siren: :siren: :siren:

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is described in this thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826859

edit: challenge-related discussions go in that thread not here

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 14, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

so do i get banned if i don't do that or what's the deal here. am i not allowed to make posts in a chat thread

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

On the one hand, that post wasn't worth punishing, on the other hand, it looks like a fun mod challenge. v:shobon:v

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A human heart posted:

so do i get banned if i don't do that or what's the deal here. am i not allowed to make posts in a chat thread

Usually mod challenges ban you or permanently change your name or avatar or something. They are so funny and wacky. Lol.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Write every stanza of the poem on a 3x5 index card.

Read only the index cards. Shuffle. Repeat.

Hell, someone even made this really easy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dictionary of the khinbotes

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is reading Crime and Punishment really confusing for anyone else? Half the time I can't figure out who's supposed to be talking and where the characters are. I get the general scene and setting, but the characters dialog seems to just congeal together into some sort of voluble omniorator. I can make out what's happening in the "action" parts, but the walls of unbroken exposition completely throw me.

I've got the names bookmarked since it doesn't help that each character has like six different names they go by.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I've been doing a translation LP of a detective mystery game where you have to figure out the culprit from reading a short story..
None of the goons in LP have been able to figure out who did it yet. I want to see if literate goons can figure it out
Here's the link to the current story
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817565&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post474047614

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Hi, I figure there must be a thread for Charles Stross's Laundry Files novels, but search isn't helping me. I just finished the most recent book and I must discuss it with fellow readers. Can you point me in the right direction?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

vortmax posted:

Hi, I figure there must be a thread for Charles Stross's Laundry Files novels, but search isn't helping me. I just finished the most recent book and I must discuss it with fellow readers. Can you point me in the right direction?

Nip into The Dresden Files & Urban Fantasy: The thread was on fire and it wasn't my fault, it's a sort of defacto catch-all for that sort of thing.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ugh, nothing specifically for Laundry Files or even Stross in general? Come on Goons, you make me sad.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Be the change.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

vortmax posted:

Ugh, nothing specifically for Laundry Files or even Stross in general? Come on Goons, you make me sad.

:justpost:

e: Convince me to read the Jennifer Morgue, I keep putting it off.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There's a quotation from a writer who began their career in one language and then switched to English about how difficult learning to write in English was. I think it describes slogging from one city to another, at night, with only the other city's distant lights for encouragement. i might have misremembered though, cos I think it's Nabokov and I can't find anything when I google using his name or this description. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
the other two writers that come to my mind as examples of authors who did some stuff in their own language before switching to English, are Xiaolu Guo and Aleksandar Hemon. maybe it's one of them?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Safety Biscuits posted:

There's a quotation from a writer who began their career in one language and then switched to English about how difficult learning to write in English was. I think it describes slogging from one city to another, at night, with only the other city's distant lights for encouragement. i might have misremembered though, cos I think it's Nabokov and I can't find anything when I google using his name or this description. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Joseph Conrad? He apparently hated writing in English at first, or so I remember reading.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Edit: Whoops, clicked on the wrong thread. I'm an idiot.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Safety Biscuits posted:

Nvm