Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

RaspberryCommie posted:

Piccolo also just calls him Son without any honorifics. Although that'd likely be even harder to localize I imagine.

I now wish there was a :cmon: with Piccolo's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RaspberryCommie posted:

Piccolo also just calls him Son without any honorifics. Although that'd likely be even harder to localize I imagine.

"Goku"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think it's endearing that Goku has so many old friends who call him so many different names

Goku
Son-kun
Son
Goku-ka
Dad
Karkarot(to)
Son Goku
SON. GOKU.
Dirty Monkey

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RaspberryCommie posted:

Yeah that is weird, everyone would just assume he's talking to Gohan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

Yeah that is weird, everyone would just assume he's talking to Gohan.

Piccolo always calls Gohan Gohan, as is the right of the surrogate father.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Momomo posted:

Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

The Danish manga translation and anime dub always calls him Son-Goku and never shortens it in any way. I guess it depends on the individual translator?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm not sure how you can listen to any dubbed DB material from the last like, 5 years and come to this conclusion.

I mean, that's fair. I haven't had cable since like 2008, so I'm just going by what I remember from Toonami :v:. I guess I didn't expect the voice direction for Goku to change after doing like the entire run of Z that way.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Momomo posted:

Did it turn into the English dub for a second there? It sounded like Sonny Strait saying "Help me!".

On another note, how do other languages handle Goku's name? One thing that was surprising when I first started watching in Japanese was how often people would use the full Son Goku. Hell, Bulma doesn't even call him Goku at all, she always calls him Son-kun. Considering English dropped the Son part entirely, do other languages do the same?

The German dub always called him Son Goku without fail, same with Tien always being Tenshinhan. On that note Krillin was pronounced more like Krilleen (while being spelled Kuririn in the title cards, causing me tons of confusion as a kid) and Vegeta's pronounced like Veh-geh-tah, with a hard g like in "good".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I didn't really watch Dragon Ball as a child but the impression I got from other kids talking about it is that the Greek dub always called him Son Goku, often pronounced fast enough that the two words got merged together into "Sogoku" (with the stress on the go).

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
In Portugal it was the same thing, with Goku being Songoku in like a single word.

Piccolo was also called "Corancãozinho de Satan" that translates to something like Satan's Heart. And Buu was renamed to "Buu Buu"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Dragonball didn't air here, so my first exposure to it was through a Nintendo Power talking about these animes one of the editors saw in France staying over with his family.

The story he tried to summarize was up to the Buu arc and it sounded almost like a completely different show in my head, almost more like a weird dragon quest like thing and somehow forgot to explain that Goten and Gohan were different characters or that Trunks had at one point been a time-traveler. Many years later they gave out the manga in Norwegian, so I bought all of those and became a fan that way.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

This youtuber Phelous did a video looking at the Big Green dub of the World's Strongest aka The Strongest Guy in the World.

It's.... it's really something. I'd only seen like 5-10 second clips of Tree of Might so I hadn't seen much of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saikyo Jump revealed the hidden members of the various teams.

The two missing U6 characters are Namekian and you can see them (and all the other unnamed/unrevealed fighters) here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The names are Saonel and Pirina going by a direct katakana translation. I dunno what kind of pun its supposed to make.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that is exactly what I wanted. thank you toei

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Looks like 2 more powerups for Piccolo to have by absorbing them

Caros
May 14, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Looks like 2 more powerups for Piccolo to have by absorbing them

Turns out Namek fusion is entirely involuntary and it becomes a game of cat and mouse to see which one can put their hand on the others chest.

Hopefully we get more chanting out of it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'm curious about Hog man, is he meant to be a parallel to Babidi?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Universe 3 has a Baby look alike , so that will be really interesting to see if he gets an episode

e: oh, there's a Giru lookalike too! The GT verse must be destroyed post-haste

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 4, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Odd that they'd spoil so much but still keep two U4 fighters as question marks.

IceBorg posted:

In Portugal it was the same thing, with Goku being Songoku in like a single word.

Piccolo was also called "Corancãozinho de Satan" that translates to something like Satan's Heart. And Buu was renamed to "Buu Buu"
That was his name in French too, "Satan Petit Coeur" AKA Small/Little Heart Satan.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 4, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess we know who Pickle and Rice are fighting then

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

From that little preview picture it looks like they might be a sorta Vegeta and Nappa kind of duo? That would be interesting to see, but also probably a bit of a stretch of a conclusion to derive from just two small pictures. We'll see.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My guess is that they're making their appearance next episode, hence why we see Piccolo with his shock face realizing he's not the only Namekian.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

where's the one for u7???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Josuke Higashikata posted:

where's the one for u7???

We know their names. Same with U9. Also U9 is gone.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hopefully the two U4 guys live up to the reverse hype.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Paparoni is an amazing name. I hope that guy gets to do something.

Also, I'm surprised I've never seen that name used for a pizza place.

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 4, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Hopefully the two U4 guys live up to the reverse hype.

I'm still subscribing to the theory that they're just really tiny and won't do anything but pad U4's last man standing count.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Paparoni is an amazing name. I hope that guy gets to do something.

Also, I'm surprised I've never seen that name used for a pizza place.

Papa's Pizza in metro Detroit's most popular item is Paparoni bread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

IceBorg posted:

Between this and the PARABAINS sequence in Eva, I think I love Portugal dubs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pirina looks like lord slug

hopefully gohan whistles him to death out of the ring

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I bet the Big Hog there is their equivalent of Master Roshi.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

The names are Saonel and Pirina going by a direct katakana translation. I dunno what kind of pun its supposed to make.

I think Seoneru might be a play on Snare. But idk.

My Japanese is worthless at this point.

The Groper posted:

Papa's Pizza in metro Detroit's most popular item is Paparoni bread.

Holla! What up doe? I love Detroit.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Dr. Rota kicks rear end, U6 is winning me over.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

pirina looks like lord slug

hopefully gohan whistles him to death out of the ring

Maybe that's what thuper Nameks all look like?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

We know their names.

???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Koalas March posted:

I think Seoneru might be a play on Snare. But idk.

My Japanese is worthless at this point.

Holla! What up doe? I love Detroit.

Seoneru.

Seo Nelu

Sn Nailu

Snail.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Snare and Piano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Snare and Piano

Seriously doubt it's these since Namek-born Namekians only have gastropod pun names

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/893361760668864513

additionally

https://twitter.com/sailorspazz/status/893378130114523136