Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, it's pretty messed up. For every story where you hear about some dirtbag AirBNB "host" getting busted for doing illegal things, there are probably literally hundreds where they totally get away with it. Especially when they are discriminated based on race.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/13/airbnb-california-racist-comment-penalty-asian-american
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4681974/Male-Airbnb-landlord-hospitalises-guest-push-stairs.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35077448

It's like Uber.
The claim: "carpool with strangers who are already making a trip"
The reality: "take a ride in an unlicensed and uninsured gypsy cab"

AirBNB:
The claim: "Rent out a bedroom to tourists, or your entire home or vacation home on weekends you are vacationing elsewhere"
The reality: "Bootleg hotels not abiding by industry laws or standards"

Look, man, you just need to understand. Uber and AirBNB are NOT gypsy cabs or bootleg hotels. They are PLATFORMS. Got it right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Samizdata posted:

Look, man, you just need to understand. Uber and AirBNB are NOT gypsy cabs or bootleg hotels. They are PLATFORMS. Got it right now?

my old neighbor thinks he's going to airbnb the "carriage house" he's (badly) building with lovely wood. things to consider: no plumbing run, and he can't afford it. electrical, but deathtrap. no insulation as yet, proper frame unlikely so that's gonna be fun.

another thing to consider is that the city isn't planning to decide on carriage house laws for years yet, so that's an unallowed dwelling structure at this point, even if it was anywhere near the building code of any country that knows what fire is.

assuming you want to airbnb in the back yard of a dude who has no concept of personal property. if you looked out the back window, 20 feet away across the alley, you would see an actual hotel.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
load bearing ductwork

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, it's pretty messed up. For every story where you hear about some dirtbag AirBNB "host" getting busted for doing illegal things, there are probably literally hundreds where they totally get away with it. Especially when they are discriminated based on race.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/13/airbnb-california-racist-comment-penalty-asian-american
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4681974/Male-Airbnb-landlord-hospitalises-guest-push-stairs.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35077448

It's like Uber.
The claim: "carpool with strangers who are already making a trip"
The reality: "take a ride in an unlicensed and uninsured gypsy cab"

AirBNB:
The claim: "Rent out a bedroom to tourists, or your entire home or vacation home on weekends you are vacationing elsewhere"
The reality: "Bootleg hotels not abiding by industry laws or standards"

Yup. It's was too because there WERE a lot of charming places I Air BNBd at but one of them was my childhood neighborhood in Austin and I realized that I was paying to stay in a neighborhood that when I was growing up, my brokest friends lived.

Also please don't use Gypsy as a pejorative.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 5, 2017

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Wasabi the J posted:

yeah honestly if 'unlicensed taxi' doesn't scare you enough, you haven't been in enough of them

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
loving HVAC guys...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The lack of king studs suggests that's not a load-bearing wall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

loving HVAC guys...

Um, literally two posts up above you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Um, literally two posts up above you.

I mean, yeah. Hope so. Wouldn't want those two posts below me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

load-bearing (poo poo)posts

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SoundMonkey posted:

my old neighbor thinks he's going to airbnb the "carriage house" he's (badly) building with lovely wood. things to consider: no plumbing run, and he can't afford it. electrical, but deathtrap. no insulation as yet, proper frame unlikely so that's gonna be fun.

another thing to consider is that the city isn't planning to decide on carriage house laws for years yet, so that's an unallowed dwelling structure at this point, even if it was anywhere near the building code of any country that knows what fire is.

assuming you want to airbnb in the back yard of a dude who has no concept of personal property. if you looked out the back window, 20 feet away across the alley, you would see an actual hotel.

When there was a homeless goon in vegas someone helpfully posted a link to AirBnBs under $20. As I recall the list included reclining chairs in an office waiting room, and a shabby tent in someone's backyard with no access to a bathroom

So if he's willing to set his prices low enough he may get some takers. Unfortunately the customers will be the sort of people who are willing to spend a few dollars to sleep in a shed. Be glad he's no longer your neighbor.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

The lack of king studs suggests that's not a load-bearing wall.

Look again at the joists above it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

crazypeltast52 posted:

Single Room Occupancy or SROs aren't really legal to add in most areas.

I lived in one of those all through college in the late 70s early 80s.. I never saw one of my housemates because our schedules never matched up. Cheap as gently caress which is why I did it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I lived in one of those all through college in the late 70s early 80s.. I never saw one of my housemates because our schedules never matched up. Cheap as gently caress which is why I did it.

I'm waiting for the cool new trend where people on opposite schedules split a bed like they do on submarines

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well

kid sinister posted:

idgi, but then again what's up w/ the header on the perpendicular wall? Surely that brick propped up mess isn't load-bearing, is it?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Wasabi the J posted:

"Jitney cab" is a better alternative.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blackbeer posted:

idgi, but then again what's up w/ the header on the perpendicular wall? Surely that brick propped up mess isn't load-bearing, is it?

Look at how the joist ends are staggered on top of that wall. It's load bearing. Now look at the double top plate on the left stud.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

I was being snarky as gently caress about those weaselly rear end companies explaining why they get all the money while following none of the laws.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

"Jitney cab" is a better alternative.

"Illegal cab" is a better yet alternative.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I'm waiting for the cool new trend where people on opposite schedules split a bed like they do on submarines

In the apartments that Chinese students tend to rent in Sydney they already do that along with all rooms being turned into bedrooms then packed with as many bunk beds as they can possibly fit. It was always interesting looking for places to rent in the city but they were pretty easy to avoid if you knew what to look out for.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Samizdata posted:

"Illegal cab" is a better yet alternative.

i understand we have some uk users too though so 'slimey-wimey drivey-robbey' is an acceptable term as well

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wibbley wobbley drivey limey

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wibbley wobbley drivey limey

in some areas you might get a Drivey Wivey Racist Papist

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

From now on I'll refer to them as "Roma People Cabs".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

in some areas you might get a Drivey Wivey Racist Papist

Hey man, reinforcing false stereotypes against the british is just as bad as doing so against travellers.

We call them "bollocks rape lorries".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No bullshit on my deployment to Afghanistan, I lived in a fob with a bunch of Romanians. Some of the guys I worked with hated being in signal and wished "they could have stayed in the infantry killing gypsies."

Very violent, and ugly racism against the Roma is real.

I would have rather just let it go, and I realize I'm on the tribute.avi forum, but I wanted people to know that there are not insignificant numbers of people who think that is an okay thing to say.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kid sinister posted:

loving HVAC guys...

I'm the noggins made of chipboard and tacked onto a bit of strip wood.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Yup you're right and I'd completely missed the joist sistering which... I think was never done right to begin with?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaQGS4LElRo

Best bit starts at five minutes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I am told that this shrieked like a banshee and had a five‐centimetre gap on both sides when closed.

It’s a bathroom door.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You could replace that with an opaque shower curtain and have something quieter and actually functional.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Ahaha why not just use a shower curtain or something :ughh:

efb

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Platystemon posted:

I am told that this shrieked like a banshee and had a five‐centimetre gap on both sides when closed.

It’s a bathroom door.

What the gently caress were they thinking?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

High Lord Elbow posted:

“This weird sliding door is cool and my AirBnB clients will love it.”

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

“This weird sliding door is cool and my AirBnB clients will love it.”

Okay, but assuming someone wants this abortion of a door up there in the first place, why exactly does the bar have to go out past the wall? Would it really have been so hard to cut it shorter?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Okay, but assuming someone wants this abortion of a door up there in the first place, why exactly does the bar have to go out past the wall? Would it really have been so hard to cut it shorter?

I think you need to extra length to get the door to completely clear the doorway. Some people might see that and abandon the whole idea as a bad one, but not this brave soul.

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot

High Lord Elbow posted:

I recently stayed in a hotel that had the bathroom door like this, brand new place too. It had a 1" gap on each side, good thing none of the family is too shy about bathroom sounds. There was a pin on the floor it was supposed to use as a guide but would come off it and swing around too. It was nice not having a door blocking the hall, but not that great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

there wolf posted:

I think you need to extra length to get the door to completely clear the doorway. Some people might see that and abandon the whole idea as a bad one, but not this brave soul.
I'd hate to be the person to point out that if they were that deadset on having that gonna be dated in 2 years fad door, they could have simply mounted the pipe to the ceiling...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

there wolf posted:

So have the door slide the other direction???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

I'd hate to be the person to point out that if they were that deadset on having that gonna be dated in 2 years fad door, they could have simply mounted the pipe to the ceiling...

Then they'd need a bigger door or some chain or something to hang it from, and maybe that's no big deal for you, Mr. Moneybags...