Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

A friend unironically gave me the They Just Don't Play Defense In The NBA argument the other day. She's a Syracuse fan

ohhhhh nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm an extremely casual NBA fan, but the NBA fashion thread is one of my favorite threads on the whole forums

You have no idea how sad I was that they never brought back an improved fashion show during All-Star break. :(

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
ESPN getting a standalone OTT streaming service next year:

quote:

Disney wants to own a bigger piece of the streaming pie.

The company announced during its latest earnings report on Tuesday it intends to pull all its movies from Netflix.

Instead, Disney plans to launch a branded direct-to-consumer streaming service in 2019.

The company will also launch its own ESPN video streaming service in early 2018. The platform, which will feature about 10,000 sporting events each year, will have content from the MLB, NHL, MLS, collegiate sports and tennis' Grand Slam events.

Unclear how that'd be different from WatchESPN other than not requiring a cable sub.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

ESPN getting a standalone OTT streaming service next year:

Unclear how that'd be different from WatchESPN other than not requiring a cable sub.

That's what it sounds like, minus the big omissions of NBA and NFL in that list.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WatchESPN is kind of weird. It doesn't have many of the 30 for 30 stories. Like I wanted to show someone the Judging Jewell 30 for 30 short this weekend and it was nowhere to be found on WatchESPN (it was on the website though). But the thing was on YouTube in its entirety and put up by ESPN. Why would you have it on YouTube and not your own app?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Christ
https://twitter.com/fitzy955/status/894976718401937408

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lmao

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

You have no idea the amount of levels you just improved my day by. Can we find all of these and get an account going that just retweets all their requests? That would be amusing as hell.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I hope someone sends them audio of a loud, wet fart

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm an extremely casual NBA fan, but the NBA fashion thread is one of my favorite threads on the whole forums

I'm a Wolves fan, and used to be a pretty big one in the early aughts, but it's because of KG and after 2004 it became very hard, physically and emotionally, to watch that team without him. I've gotten back into them over the last two years because they've gotten young and cool, but that said, I couldn't literally give a poo poo about the league and the other 29 teams.

All that said, the fashion thread was must read stuff for me

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fox Sports Desk is now the most thirsty thing on twitter.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

WatchESPN is kind of weird. It doesn't have many of the 30 for 30 stories. Like I wanted to show someone the Judging Jewell 30 for 30 short this weekend and it was nowhere to be found on WatchESPN (it was on the website though). But the thing was on YouTube in its entirety and put up by ESPN. Why would you have it on YouTube and not your own app?

I believe the goal was to make stuff like this accessible on demand with this new version.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The whole Fox Sports Desk Twitter account is so sad. Nothing but begging for audio scraps at this point.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sucks that they yanked all the 30 for 30s from netflix, sometimes you just need to watch You Don't Know Bo

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WatchESPN is trash so if Disney manages to make something better then I'm all for it

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Simmons has a podcast a couple months ago with Bryan Curtis and Jim Miller that goes in-depth on ESPN. It's a little too inside baseball for me but they cover stuff like this. It sounds like ESPN just doesn't give a poo poo about anything but the main channel.

They mentioned how they offered to work on ESPN Classic and turn it into a channel that ran the documentaries along with old sports movies. Was told ESPN Classic doesn't matter, they already get the subscriber fees for it. Also thought the discussion on podcasts and how they had no interest in monetizing them despite them becoming extremely profitable.

I could see how WatchESPN just got put on the backburner and left to die. They seemed really behind the times which is probably why they didn't see the subscriber exodus happening.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Simmons latest podcast

I may have to boycott for awhile

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Or how in the end worrying about FS1 really did damage to ESPN (big contracts, a new SportsCenter set, etc)

euphronius posted:

Simmons latest podcast

when you're a fan of a divisional rival where 0-16 is not out of the question

yeah

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Simmons latest podcast

Why's that? I haven't listened to his podcast in a really long time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

His latest podcast seems to be him and Boston superfan Kevin Hench masturbating to a photo of Bill Belichick for an hour.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I feel bad for the low-level social media guy who was probably so hyped to run a sports Twitter account and now is having to constantly beg other people for their content and suffer abuse for his bosses' decisions

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redeye Flight posted:

I feel bad for the low-level social media guy who was probably so hyped to run a sports Twitter account and now is having to constantly beg other people for their content and suffer abuse for his bosses' decisions

https://twitter.com/MattHayesCFB/status/895000835339546624

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

:lol:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The fox sports assignment desk is now literally like 4 people so this isn't surprising.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

euphronius posted:

Simmons latest podcast

I just about broke the sound barrier deleting that from my feed.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

oh gently caress off

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spoeank posted:

oh gently caress off

I'd be willing to bet if podcasting were a thing 20 years ago, he'd totally be shilling the Aikman cowboys.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

iospace posted:

I'd be willing to bet if podcasting were a thing 20 years ago, he'd totally be shilling the Aikman cowboys.

He'd have to take Bird's dick out of his mouth long enough to do that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

oh gently caress off

Well heck, I never pay attention to his podcast but I'll have to give that a listen.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

iospace posted:

Actually a lot of his pre-ESPN football work gleefully poo poo on the Cowboys almost as much as he poo poo on the Patriots of that era.

You can accuse Simmons of a lot of things, but the dude's always been up front that he's a Boston fan live or die - and pre-Brady-and-Belichick it was universally 'die.'

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

His latest podcast seems to be him and Boston superfan Kevin Hench masturbating to a photo of Bill Belichick for an hour.

It's two hours. I'm a Pats fan, took one look at that title and run time and said "no loving thank you". It seems like it's been a few weeks since he's put out a good podcast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hot loving take:

stop listening to the bill simmons podcast. you are literally not missing anything but a man jacking off to himself and boston.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The one with Charlize Theron was pretty good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DJExile posted:

hot loving take:

stop listening to the bill simmons podcast. you are literally not missing anything but a man jacking off to himself and boston.

Some of them are real good . Pick and choose imho.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

euphronius posted:

Some of them are real good . Pick and choose imho.

yeah

i dread nfl season if it's gonna be the same 3 guests every week again

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

oh gently caress off

In case you were wondering, they don't get to the first game on the list until 26 minutes in, and it's a completely anonymous game that lets him talk about the 2004 Red Sox - Yankees series.

Just to give you a tiny taste: (Dave Roberts) Greatest steal of all time... I don't even know which would be 2nd.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Super Bowl XLII was the best Patriots game ever.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Super Bowl XLII was the best Patriots game ever.

#2 is Superbowl XLVI

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

A request?

Anyone remember the following takes:

-"Extreme sports will overtake Pro Football, Hockey, etc in popularity" (written around 1999-2001-ish)
-"NASCAR is the 2nd most popular sport in America and it's fastest growing sport" (written during the mid-2000's)
-"Baseball is dying." (written during the mid-2000's)

I ask because I kept thinking about the latter while attending baseball games this year and going "That one turned out to be spectacularly untrue".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think freezing cold takes would have some of those