Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Mortarion is coming back from the warp? I guess he's going to be attacking the imperium. Morty vs. Bobby G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_vW5K-eZAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something about Sweden gives their youtubers a weird sense of humor. Alfa, robbaz and Killian experience are all weird in their own way.

Well drat, guess I got the short end of the stick then.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Mortarion is coming back from the warp? I guess he's going to be attacking the imperium. Morty vs. Bobby G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_vW5K-eZAI

Canonically he's been back a little while after that giant warp rift split the Imperium and is currently fighting Bobby in Ultramar, particularly the Konor system, the setting for the current Global Campaign. He's due a model in a couple of weeks.

As well as him, Angron and Magnus, Gathering Storm hints that Fulgrim is currently nibbling on the Eastern Fringe and Logar is on his way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cooked Auto posted:

Well drat, guess I got the short end of the stick then.

You and PewDiePie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I really do hope something very bad happens to Lorgar. Preferably at the hands of Magnus.

E: Magnus will get dunked on by everyone instead though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MariusLecter posted:

I really do hope something very bad happens to Lorgar. Preferably at the hands of Magnus.

The Magnus character from Text To Speech is now my headcanon for Magnus.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MariusLecter posted:

Magnus does always seem to have the big E's problem of holding back their true power until they are a hairs breadth from defeat.

I mean maybe use a bit more of your power early in the fight, show off a bit.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SteelMentor posted:

Canonically he's been back a little while after that giant warp rift split the Imperium and is currently fighting Bobby in Ultramar, particularly the Konor system, the setting for the current Global Campaign. He's due a model in a couple of weeks.

As well as him, Angron and Magnus, Gathering Storm hints that Fulgrim is currently nibbling on the Eastern Fringe and Logar is on his way.

Doesn't look good for the ol' Imperium.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
A huge warp signature appears and out tumbles Leman Russ and his lost armada and there's a big fight.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I love how literal and deliberate Dorn is during the podcast :hyuck:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Lore/setting question: how many Successor Chapters exist that are themselves branched off from Successor Chapters? I never realized that the Mantis Warriors had this situation and now I'm curious about any others.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PantsOptional posted:

Lore/setting question: how many Successor Chapters exist that are themselves branched off from Successor Chapters? I never realized that the Mantis Warriors had this situation and now I'm curious about any others.

As many as you want to imagine?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I love how literal and deliberate Dorn is during the podcast :hyuck:

You know how there is no more bodies of water on Terra? That is funny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He raises a good point about mass conservation.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MariusLecter posted:

Well, yes, but I meant ones that have been established in the fiction.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

You and PewDiePie.

Thanks for that comparison. :gonk:

On a different note, I prefer Taco Fridays.

Also, Black Library has free shipping throughout the entirety of the month of August.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

MariusLecter posted:

You know how there is no more bodies of water on Terra? That is funny.

:what: One does not eat words, father.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Are any the Yarrick novellas worthwhile? I'm about to start Chains of Golgotha, and just realized I don't know diddley about it or any of the others.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Are any the Yarrick novellas worthwhile? I'm about to start Chains of Golgotha, and just realized I don't know diddley about it or any of the others.

I had no real impression from them. The Armageddon one was alright, and the jailbreak story was kind of interesting. Guess it depends on the reader's level of interest in the characters involved

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I only care about space marines, and then really only chaos. I could not care less about the guard or other races.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Just finished Dante by Guy Haley. I enjoyed the bits about how the Blood Angels recruit and Dante himself is an interesting character. Some of the dialogue is pretty cringey, not to mention the whole vampire thing.

The follow up, The devastation of Baal, is coming out in November and I look forward to reading about the fate of the legion/chapter.

Has anybody started on Black Legion yet? I read that if you purchase it via iBooks you can download it now.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I've been reading through Shrike lately. It actually isn't that bad and has kept my interest, unlike Deliverance Lost which I have started 6 times so far and then given up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

jadebullet posted:

I've been reading through Shrike lately. It actually isn't that bad and has kept my interest, unlike Deliverance Lost which I have started 6 times so far and then given up.

The only thing worth reading in Deliverance Lost is on page 403 of the paperback.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the Regimental Standard website official or fanmade?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the Regimental Standard website official or fanmade?

Official

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Holy poo poo someone at games workshop still has a sense of humor.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
In case you didn't know, one of their artists put this out at Adepticon:

http://imgur.com/gallery/qbJaI

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which white scars book was the one where they were up against tau and instead of ouyflanking the enemy and surrounding them, they took the bait and wiped out an intentional decoy rear guard, and the Marines still declared it a great victory?

Savage Scars by Andy Hoare? It was quite bad.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's really cute.

Perturabo is a bastard.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dan Abnett is coming to my local nerdshop september 16th!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're doing a cookbook for next year's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arch Warhammer is an unlikable jackass but I enjoy watching him cry and whine about how 8th Edition fluff ruined his idea of 40K.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arch Warhammer is an unlikable jackass but I enjoy watching him cry and whine about how 8th Edition fluff ruined his idea of 40K.

Just finished Carrion throne

It's like 10000 years since the Emperor got put in the Golden Throne and you're telling me the Custodes, crafted by the Emperors own hand, designed to protect Him through the millennia all their bullshit fluff. forgot about a tunnel right up the rear end in a top hat of the Golden Throne and that 1 xenos and sixty mutants got through all of the defenses both in and outside of Holy Terra to get within spitting distance of Him?

Get hosed that poo poo was so loving stupid. I really enjoyed the book but the reveal and level of threat was disappointing and retarded.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arcsquad12 posted:

:allears: Do tell, I'm curious but I'd rather gnaw off my own leg than sit through one of his videos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SteelMentor posted:

:allears: Do tell, I'm curious but I'd rather gnaw off my own leg than sit through one of his videos.

Oh he was throwing a temper tantrum about how unrealistic it is for cawl to rebuild the primarch genome when it took the emperor hyperbole more resources to fail doing it. And how stupid it is for primaris marines to be accepted by depleted chapters and how robot astartes would be better and wah wah wah.
And then he did a video on angron's invasion if Armageddon using a ten minute long taco bell diarrhea analogy to describe how bad conditions were.

I mean, next gen space marines are pretty much the best thing possible to make marines interesting again precisely for the reasons they are so controversial.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Waroduce posted:

It's like 10000 years since the Emperor got put in the Golden Throne and you're telling me the Custodes, crafted by the Emperors own hand, designed to protect Him through the millennia all their bullshit fluff. forgot about a tunnel right up the rear end in a top hat of the Golden Throne and that 1 xenos and sixty mutants got through all of the defenses both in and outside of Holy Terra to get within spitting distance of Him?

Get hosed that poo poo was so loving stupid. I really enjoyed the book but the reveal and level of threat was disappointing and retarded.

In fairness, the Haemonculus did kind of bore through reality to make that tunnel.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh he was throwing a temper tantrum about how unrealistic it is for cawl to rebuild the primarch genome when it took the emperor hyperbole more resources to fail doing it. And how stupid it is for primaris marines to be accepted by depleted chapters and how robot astartes would be better and wah wah wah.
And then he did a video on angron's invasion if Armageddon using a ten minute long taco bell diarrhea analogy to describe how bad conditions were.

I mean, next gen space marines are pretty much the best thing possible to make marines interesting again precisely for the reasons they are so controversial.

Ah yes, realism, in my Space Fantasy setting where spaceships shoot themselves through hell to get around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean sure there's something to be said for internal consistency, but this is 40k where any and all coherence or consistency might as well not exist.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
"Mad genetic science is so out-there for Warhams. Know what isn't though? Robots that don't try and exterminate mankind"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm about 2/3 through First Heretic, and it's surprisingly good. And now I somehow like the Word Bearers.

I was really impressed with the take on Lorgar's faith and falling: For all of his professed faith in humanity and the Emperor, he doesn't actually have any faith that they'd defeat Chaos. It's all ritual and lip service.

Meanwhile the Emperor's plan of censoring the gods would have succeeded in disempowering them, but whoops.

I don't know if that gets explicitly spelled out in the third act, but I was surprised at the depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

Doesn't it play into the whole post-heresy fluff of the Custodes kinda weakening and being mono-focused to the point of inefficiency? I just figured that since the Xenos and mutants had this uber-powerful inquisitor with major palace connections helping them everything else would be a wash