Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Cocobolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Tres Burritos posted:

Oh I've got all three in the link, also the sharpening jigs. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I don't have PMs but I might be interested in the Mk ii honing guide.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/patent-disputes-stand-in-the-way-of-radically-safer-table-saws/

quote:

Now federal regulators are considering whether to make Gass' technology mandatory in the table-saw industry. The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced plans for a new rule in May, and the rules could take effect in the coming months.

But established makers of power tools vehemently object. They say the mandate could double the cost of entry-level table saws and destroy jobs in the power-tool industry. They also point out that Gass holds dozens of patents on the technology. If the CPSC makes the technology mandatory for table saws, that could give Gass a legal monopoly over the table-saw industry until at least 2021, when his oldest patents expire.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mr. Mambold posted:

Cypress? Somebody put up the wormil signal.

Teak, you pussy. Go big or go J102055.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Nick Offerman's 'Good Clean Fun' talked a lot about SawStop and why he puts them in his shops. When he looks at the productivity and safety of his team, $800 more for the safety feature is cheaper than the workman's comp payout for even a lost pinky. You can see the compensation by limb here.

I'd be in favor of this only if Gass were forced to open up their patents, otherwise it's just a regulated monopoly that will kill the contractor/table top saw market.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Spazz posted:

Nick Offerman's 'Good Clean Fun' talked a lot about SawStop and why he puts them in his shops. When he looks at the productivity and safety of his team, $800 more for the safety feature is cheaper than the workman's comp payout for even a lost pinky. You can see the compensation by limb here.

I'd be in favor of this only if Gass were forced to open up their patents, otherwise it's just a regulated monopoly that will kill the contractor/table top saw market.

Agreed. Though I still don't think this should be mandated for hobbyists. This seems like a reasonable step for a shop, but not really in a garage.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Is sawstop tech even suitable for a contractor/jobsite saw (ie the hobbyist special)? I had assumed it was kind of restricted to the larger fixed table designs.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Anyone here have kids? I have an 11 year old boy and recently I've taught him to use the bandsaw. He does great and I dont worry about him using it at all. This prompted to me think about when would he be old enough to use the table saw.

I posed the question to my coworker who has young boys. His answer "when I get a sawstop".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hubis posted:

Is sawstop tech even suitable for a contractor/jobsite saw (ie the hobbyist special)? I had assumed it was kind of restricted to the larger fixed table designs.

The advert I remember watching for the sawstop was explicitly a contractor model.

mds2 posted:

Anyone here have kids? I have an 11 year old boy and recently I've taught him to use the bandsaw. He does great and I dont worry about him using it at all. This prompted to me think about when would he be old enough to use the table saw.

I posed the question to my coworker who has young boys. His answer "when I get a sawstop".

Don't forget about kickback. I wouldn't want to let any kid of mine use a table saw without close supervision for at least several projects so I knew they were clear on how to safely set up a cut and use the various safety features.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So SawStop is different from a Pharmaceutical company how exactly?

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 11, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Definitely do a demonstration of kickback, and show what happens to a wiener that gets too close. If he's generally conscious about workshop safety, maybe try setting up a few simple cuts that can be performed safely, and help him guide it through. Talk about what feels safe. Keep in mind that at his age he's still growing, and table saws are generally made for fully grown people to use. He probably shouldn't operate it by himself (but still supervised) until 15-16 years of age.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My opinion is he can use it when he pays his own health insurance premiums and deductibles.

Or 15-16ish with supervision.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

GEMorris posted:

Their sales reps aren't nearly as attractive.

mds2 posted:

Read the OSHA thread with him.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I do far fewer/less involved projects than all of you, but I definitely need to get some kind of dust collector. Is something like this good enough for my needs? Aside from price and a feeling of self worth, is there any reason to build my own rather than buying the $50 piece of molded plastic?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

For a tortarium? Plus it's endangered species, much like many turtles, so there's some feng shui to that I guess.

rear end in a top hat

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mds2 posted:

My stepson was somewhat accident prone growing up, and my son had a horrible temper so I never had them out in the shop with me. It was no-go. Period.
When my stepson got older, I gave him a summer job being basically a sanding grunt on a big project (at minimum wage, but it was big bucks to him). He has done some small remodel stuff on his own since, but I don't know recall ever showing him anything.
My wife, who they get the spaz gene and irrational temper from, won't go near the table saw or miter saw; but she will go out and cut with the radial arm saw all day- a tool I reckon as the most dangerous of the 3.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hubis posted:

Sawstop makes both a jobsite and a contractor style saw, in addition to the cabinet saws.

Of course, even the jobsite saw is $1400, which prices it out of the range of a lot of the weekend warrior/hobbyist types.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Mr Executive posted:

I do far fewer/less involved projects than all of you, but I definitely need to get some kind of dust collector. Is something like this good enough for my needs? Aside from price and a feeling of self worth, is there any reason to build my own rather than buying the $50 piece of molded plastic?

I bought the whole combo system with 2 buckets and the mounting hardware and I'm happy with it. It was $150~ I believe. I still have a bag in my shop vac that I hook it up to and it still accumulates fine dust, but that's less going into the filter and less in the air.

Having said that, I would not mount the bucket to my shop vac if I could do it again because you then have to scoop out the contents or tip the whole set over to empty the buckets. I plan to unmount, seal the hole, and build a caddy for them to sit on to make it easier to swap out buckets when full. You don't realize how much you produce until you start working, and some things are fine like a table saw, but I filled the bucket planing each side of 6x 8' long 4x6's.

Edit: As for reasons to build your own, I think it depends on your use case and tool availability. I saw the steps to make your own with sheet metal but that looks like a real pain in the rear end, and I was happier paying $50 to not have to do that.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 11, 2017

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

GEMorris posted:

The industry had a chance to get in on the ground floor, they said no thanks. They've had a decade to come up with their own safety technology, and the best they've done is fitting saws with better riving knives and blade guards that most users immediately remove.

For what it's worth, my main power saw is a recall-era Craftsman RAS deathtrap. I'd rather rip on it than a cheap table saw. The RAS at least has a riving knife and fingers that prevent kickback. They pulled the retrofit kit offer before I could get one.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran
History reminder: seatbelts and airbags used to be luxury car features. Plebes get amputations, I guess.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Spazz posted:

I bought the whole combo system with 2 buckets and the mounting hardware and I'm happy with it. It was $150~ I believe. I still have a bag in my shop vac that I hook it up to and it still accumulates fine dust, but that's less going into the filter and less in the air.

Having said that, I would not mount the bucket to my shop vac if I could do it again because you then have to scoop out the contents or tip the whole set over to empty the buckets. I plan to unmount, seal the hole, and build a caddy for them to sit on to make it easier to swap out buckets when full. You don't realize how much you produce until you start working, and some things are fine like a table saw, but I filled the bucket planing each side of 6x 8' long 4x6's.

Edit: As for reasons to build your own, I think it depends on your use case and tool availability. I saw the steps to make your own with sheet metal but that looks like a real pain in the rear end, and I was happier paying $50 to not have to do that.

I was planning on just getting the cyclone and buying my own hardware/bucket. I'm not too worried about capacity or emptying the bucket too often as I'm not going to be using it everyday and I don't have a planer. this will mostly be connected to a miter saw, a table saw, a belt sander, or used for circular saw/router cleanup.

I have limited space, so I'm planning on keeping the dust collection stuffed in a corner with a hose that can reach across the room. That brings me to my next question. Is there going to be a significant difference in performance between using a 15' hose with a stationary dust collector as opposed to a 5' hose with the dust collector/shopvac on a dolly/etc...?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I think the Sawstop argument basically puts people into three camps.
  • I think it's a good idea and I don't mind if Sawstop gets money from it because I think the net gain is worth it.
  • I think it's a good idea but I don't want Sawstop to get a dime because what they're doing is forcing people to buy their products.
  • I think it's a terrible idea because I don't want any regulation.
That's basically the summary of all the major arguments on the topic. I'm basically in the middle camp; I think it's not really fair play to campaign for people to have to buy your product. Volvo and Tesla did what I think is the socially responsible thing to do - if you think this is really important and want people to adopt it, open the patent.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Falcon2001 posted:

I think the Sawstop argument basically puts people into three camps.
  • I think it's a good idea and I don't mind if Sawstop gets money from it because I think the net gain is worth it.
  • I think it's a good idea but I don't want Sawstop to get a dime because what they're doing is forcing people to buy their products.
  • I think it's a terrible idea because I don't want any regulation.
That's basically the summary of all the major arguments on the topic. I'm basically in the middle camp; I think it's not really fair play to campaign for people to have to buy your product. Volvo and Tesla did what I think is the socially responsible thing to do - if you think this is really important and want people to adopt it, open the patent.

Again, SawStop is acting exactly like any pharma company that develops a life saving drug. I don't see these crotchety old guys getting bent out of shape about drug companies making a profit off of their inventions (even if they probably should)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Afaik pharma companies don't get their monopolies to become legally required products

(I could be wrong tho)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Magres posted:

Afaik pharma companies don't get their monopolies to become legally required products

(I could be wrong tho)

If you're gonna die without the drug, tell me where the distinction around "legally required" exists.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

GEMorris posted:

If you're gonna die without the drug, tell me where the distinction around "legally required" exists.

To be fair, I'm strongly pro single payer slash universal health care because the entire idea that we have choice when it comes to "pay the medical bill or die" is a bunch of loving crap.

I should explain where I personally fall in the SawStop thing.

Requiring shops to get SawStops so their employees don't get fuckin maimed in the line of work: Cool! Partly because shops, which are already dropping tens of thousands on their equipment, can afford the extra expense.
Requiring all sawmakers to put SawStops in: Kinda lovely, because when it comes to personal use equipment you do have a choice and requiring SawStop tech would make table saws badly prohibitively expensive for most hobbyists.

I just think there's a difference between the SawStop situation and the pharma corp situation. Like while PPE and life saving drugs have similar end results, the necessity of using them and the means by which we arrive at a point where they are important and useful are different enough that I don't think the analogy holds up. I can't walk away from having a life ending disease that I'll have to pay tens (more like hundreds) of thousands to keep it from killing me, if a job is the only thing between me and destitution I can't walk away from it, but I can (and have) dropped hobbies because they were prohibitively expensive.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Magres posted:

To be fair, I'm strongly pro single payer slash universal health care because the entire idea that we have choice when it comes to "pay the medical bill or die" is a bunch of loving crap.

I should explain where I personally fall in the SawStop thing.

Requiring shops to get SawStops so their employees don't get fuckin maimed in the line of work: Cool! Partly because shops, which are already dropping tens of thousands on their equipment, can afford the extra expense.
Requiring all sawmakers to put SawStops in: Kinda lovely, because when it comes to personal use equipment you do have a choice and requiring SawStop tech would make table saws badly prohibitively expensive for most hobbyists.

I just think there's a difference between the SawStop situation and the pharma corp situation :shrug:

Yeah - I agree. I don't find the two situations equivalent, assuming I didn't miss something about it. The critical difference is that pharmaceutical companies aren't generally going out and lobbying to make federal requirements to have their products prescribed. I can certainly agree that to some degree there's a necessity around 'if you don't take this you could die', but the fact that Sawstop HAS had to go out and lobby for regulation and pharma companies don't proves that the analogy isn't a good one, in my opinion.

Side note though: If the patents were opened, I would be 100% in favor of requiring it though, as I think it's a net savings in terms of healthcare costs/etc. I just don't like the way that SawStop is going about lobbying for it at the same time that they are suing Bosch.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I mean pharma corps lobby like crazy nonstop. Like a little differently than "get this medicine legally required" but they're still constantly trying to sway the regulatory and legislative process. The difference to me is that I can choose to use a table saw or not, I can't choose whether I need life saving medicine or not.

E: Also hell yes if the patents were opened then require that poo poo.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 11, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I kind of feel like this is a situation where legislating Sawstops isn't even necessary. Any commercial shop must carry liability insurance, right? Let the insurance companies tell the shops "hey, if you don't get Sawstops we'll jack your premiums up." They're perfectly within their rights to do that kind of thing.

Anyway, people bitch and moan about pharma companies and medical costs all the time, so I'm not sure where the "pharma gets a pass on doing what Sawstop is doing" thing comes from.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pharma patents also intentionally expire faster than other patents in recognition of the need to get drugs into the generic market as fast as possible being a strong balance against the need for patent protection to incentivize huge R&D budgets on novel therapies.

What we are talking about here is a patented technology being mandated for every single manufacturer to pay for. This creates a situation where the patent holder can literally charge anything they want: and the fact that the patent holder already manufactures their own brand of equipment means they can simply set a price no other buyer can afford to pay, and subsequently own the entire market for table saws in America. And why wouldn't they?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I kind of feel like this is a situation where legislating Sawstops isn't even necessary. Any commercial shop must carry liability insurance, right? Let the insurance companies tell the shops "hey, if you don't get Sawstops we'll jack your premiums up." They're perfectly within their rights to do that kind of thing.

This is already kinda a thing. The makerspace that I belong to bought a SawStop because with it, our insurance premiums were a lot lower.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Mr Executive posted:

There are some decent homemade plans for Thein baffles and other things that do similar stuff. Also theee are Chinese knockoffs of the dust deputy if you're willing to wait for longer shipping to save some money.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Go big or go Goku? :raise:

Mr. Mambold posted:

For a tortarium? Plus it's endangered species, much like many turtles, so there's some feng shui to that I guess.

rear end in a top hat

Well the tortoises are only "vulnerable", so I guess Brazilian rosewood would keep things even.

It'll also warm up the tone, if I'm reading things right, especially if it's paired with Honduran mahogany? :confused:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Buttjoints and whatever titebond I have lying around is more than good enough. The tortoises would be equally content with taped cardboard. The tortoises have no concept of such things, or of things in general.

BUT I LOVE WASTING TIME (and learning fusion)

I also may have googled "what angle for dovetails" but gently caress that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

scandoslav posted:

Go big or go Goku? :raise:

Well the tortoises are only "vulnerable", so I guess Brazilian rosewood would keep things even.

It'll also warm up the tone, if I'm reading things right, especially if it's paired with Honduran mahogany? :confused:

Those are a lovely combination. Top, top timber.

scandoslav posted:

Buttjoints and whatever titebond I have lying around is more than good enough. The tortoises would be equally content with taped cardboard. The tortoises have no concept of such things, or of things in general.

Yeah, that's what they want you to think.

scandoslav posted:

Fwiw, buttjoints are technically endgrain and not gluable, but if you turn the legs in the 1st pic so the grain runs horizontal, that's gluable joint. The last one is fingerjoint, and quite durable and nice.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

scandoslav posted:

I miss HV - Spooge

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

jailbait#3 posted:

The industry had a chance to get in on the ground floor, they said no thanks. They've had a decade to come up with their own safety technology, and the best they've done is fitting saws with better riving knives and blade guards that most users immediately remove
The industry had a chance to get in on the ground floor at an unreasonable price. 8% of every saw sale in perpetuity?

And since then, every time they have tried to come up with their own safety technology, they've been sued by SawStop, so it seems silly to act like Big Table Saw is just stomping on the little guy. Bosch came up with a better system - Same safety, and no damage to the saw. They are being sued.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Are there any good articles on workshop design/etc?

Sometime in the next six-nine months I'm going to plopping a shop down in my backyard and I'm sort of in analysis paralysis mode on what I should be aiming for. I've worked out my max size for the structure (620 sqft) according to city codes/etc, but not sure about dimensions/etc or what sort of layout I should be aiming for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Got this gnarly shelix cutterhead installed today.

jesus christ it was so worth it.