Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

The blu-rays for the first two movies are $70 apiece

what the gently caress

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

The blu-rays for the first two movies are $70 apiece

what the gently caress
Studios still think their franchises are Niche markets best bought by hardcore otakus.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Really just Aniplex. Funimation sells seasons for a reasonable $40.

Aniplex wants $120 for Nisemonogatari.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Studios still think their franchises are Niche markets best bought by hardcore otakus.
You'd think that, after 8 consistent years of outselling almost everything except stuff like Madoka (same studio), the Evangelion films (who came out in 2009/2010 and 2012/2013 in Theaters/BD respectively) and Your Name (a movie that has outdone actual Hollywood Blockbusters in Box Office and for which I hope keeps making Shinkai all the money), that the people at Aniplex/Kodansha would catch on that "Hey, maybe we could sell more of this if the price tag wasn't as prohibitive". Proves what I know, despite working in the industry for slightly over 8 years now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the fear is that it works like that in Japanese market, and if they sell it for too cheap internationally the Japanese fans would just import it for cheaper.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Clarste posted:

I think the fear is that it works like that in Japanese market, and if they sell it for too cheap internationally the Japanese fans would just import it for cheaper.

Yeah, but they might make up for that in volume.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Kizu 3 has the funniest fight in anime history.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

Arararararagi sure did lose his head.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Sindai posted:

it's what i imagine a Doom anime would be like. just with less guns.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sindai posted:

I think it's a pretty good example of what Gigguk talks about of what goes into a great fight scene; the way it tells a story. I really got a sense of Arararagi as a tenacious determinator and Kiss-Shot as being so much more powerful and experienced that her actions only really came off as crude just from the level of "Whatever, I don't care." confidence and well, fun. Why ruin it by trying too hard?

That this is also possibly on purpose to give Araragi even the slightest chance at winning to turn him back to human and die via cop just makes it better in retrospect.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is still the best moment in the Kizu trilogy.

Also, I remember hearing it argued here why Senjougahara > Hanekawa with regards to being Araragi's girl is due to the events of Kizu and how Hanekawa is introduced. After watching the movies...I'm not sure that's really the case.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

This is still the best moment in the Kizu trilogy.

Also, I remember hearing it argued here why Senjougahara > Hanekawa with regards to being Araragi's girl is due to the events of Kizu and how Hanekawa is introduced. After watching the movies...I'm not sure that's really the case.
I think that, given what we've (along with our MC, obviously) learned about her following Kizu and Neko_Black, Araragi still holds up a ridiculous ideal of Hanekawa, at least in the back of his mind; whereas with Gahara, despite both of them being easily as dysfunctional as Hanekawa, they do seem to find a much better middle ground due to the fact that they decided to become an item. Or something like that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the tension in Kizu is great in how it evokes Dracula-esque vampire fiction but that's kind of the point. it's carnal sexuality which is only one part of a romantic relationship. Hanekawa's problems that Nekomonogatari focuses on are basically keeping her from really opening up the way Senjougahara is able to after her arc resolves. perhaps things couldve turned out differently if their arcs were swapped

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Senjogahara is a more challenging person than Hanekawa which is probably more motivating and attractive to someone like Araragi. One thing that the Bakemonogatari novels drive home is that he's all about the bants and Hanekawa just kind of isn't that sort of person. I don't think Hanekawa and Araragi wouldn't make a good couple even outside of Araragi deciding that it would never happen between them independently.

Hanekawa is definitely the best mentor and friend Araragi has, but she's probably not a good girlfriend for him basically.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 22, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kizu and the other -Mono's kinda had a good amount of sexual flirting/teasing between them though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Kizu and the other -Mono's kinda had a good amount of sexual flirting/teasing between them though.
Well, she's a smart, cute, big-sisterly-type of girl with big-boobs and Araragi is a horn-dog of the 1st degree. Of course there's gonna be flirting/teasing.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Watching this scene is like pure primal happiness

My smile gets so wide

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Well, she's a smart, cute, big-sisterly-type of girl with big-boobs and Araragi is a horn-dog of the 1st degree. Of course there's gonna be flirting/teasing.

The only female characters he hasn't flirted with are Gaen, Kagenui and his mom, probably.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Being beaten up and stepped on by Kagenui is flirting

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Space Flower posted:

Being beaten up and stepped on by Kagenui is flirting
Maybe on /d/ but here in the real world? Unless it's foreplay probably not.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The only female characters he hasn't flirted with are Gaen, Kagenui and his mom, probably.
Gaen is meh, I'm fairly certain Kagenui was rejected from his harem (I might be misremembering, but doesn't she flat-out ask to be included into his harem only to be rejected?) and his mom seems like the raddest mom in existence.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

How much of the Kanbaru flirting was one sided, though?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AlternateNu posted:

How much of the Kanbaru flirting was one sided, though?

Kanbaru is actually pretty drat close to how friendships between opposite sex gay-not-gay friendships work in my experience.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Raenir Salazar posted:

Kanbaru is actually pretty drat close to how friendships between opposite sex gay-not-gay friendships work in my experience.

Yep, seems fairly accurate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's definitely some two sided flirting between Araragi and Kanbaru, but the intent isn't in it resulting in romance, if that makes any sense. It's just risque.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There's definitely some two sided flirting between Araragi and Kanbaru, but the intent isn't in it resulting in romance, if that makes any sense. It's just risque.
Also black comedy rape?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
monogatari

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

TL note: monogatari means story

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ougi Boogie Poop

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pending the Korean shitstorm we're gonna get 6-7 episodes back to back of more Monogatari next week! :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Basically here's my take on it, they are friends who engage in silly inappropriate behavior with each other because it's fun and it's a part of their thing.

Putting aside for a moment that as a dynamic is something I've witnessed in real life; there is probably some subtext where Kanbaru being gay for Senjugahara might partly trying to live vicariously through Araragi; probably not consciously, but I feel like it's there; she can't have that relationship because Araragi got there first, and she can't get too close to her because it would be inappropriate and encroaching on something she shouldn't, but she can indirectly inch as close as she can by flirting with Araragi through a sort of associativetransitive(?) property of relationships.

It's probably a good freudian explanation as to why she goes as far as she does with Araragi is that she wants to do those sorts of things and more with Senjogahara in addition to actually enjoying Araragi's company as a fellow perv.

Grouchio posted:

Pending the Korean shitstorm we're gonna get 6-7 episodes back to back of more Monogatari next week! :v:

Of like, new episodes? Which book? Whose the focus?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The new season of Owari is going to be released over two days later this week

or next week, idk, within seven days of now

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 9, 2017

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

thank you spooky Ougi

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

thougi

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I just watched a clip for the first time in like a year and I immediately went AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why do I keep myself from watching Monogatari again? I am so not ready for tomorrow's OVA.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 12, 2017

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I just watched a clip for the first time in like a year and I immediately went AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why do I keep myself from watching Monogatari again? I am so not ready for tomorrow's OVA.

But if you don't watch Monogatari again, you'll have plenty of time to watch all the amazing new shows airing this season, like Gamers, and Dumb Monkey Girl

anime was a mistake

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Or, yknow, the actual good new shows this season like Made in Abyss, Ballroom and Kakegurui

I caught up on Koyomi last week and am excited for new Owari

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The First part of the OVA is out!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
That was :3:, :kimchi: and :stare:

+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

Senjougahara apparently singing Futakotome worse than Araragi singing Chocolate Insomnia despite her voice actress being the one who sings that song was hilarious.