Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm about to have three months with a line manager who doesn't know what I'm meant to do all shift :toot:

Looking forward to aggressively downfilling every overhead in my department and getting super intimate with our inventory counts in preparation for stocktake in September.

Also looking forward to a stocktake with a store manager who will let us precount as much as possible, instead of the one who was totally confident that a store which carries 30,000+ different products would be countable in one shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

DumbparameciuM posted:

I used to work retail IT sales a while ago. One time I had a phone enquiry on an Asus eee pc. Took about half an hour as the guy wanted to know the layout of every key in relation to each other, what shape was the enter key, etc. He asked like 4 separate times if we had a black model in stock... It had to be a black model... You're sure it's black, right? The whole time I'm thinking "jesus this guy is a troll or an arsehole" but he's nice enough anyway and pays for the thing over the phone at the end of the call. Alright, cool. How payment goes through no dramas. I'm about to get him off the phone because the floor is pumping and he goes "btw, I'm really sorry, I'll need you to go over a lot of this again when I come in, I'm blind"

Oh wait

It was me

I was the arsehole

Call me ignorant, but why black? Like, I know blindness has degrees and it's not that stereotypical "who turned off the lights, all I can see is black" bit, but I'm still not sure where it being black would help?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Garrand posted:

Call me ignorant, but why black? Like, I know blindness has degrees and it's not that stereotypical "who turned off the lights, all I can see is black" bit, but I'm still not sure where it being black would help?

It might be because the laptop model he needs only comes in black or something.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Garrand posted:

Everything he owned was black, right down to the seeing eye dog. I didn't get either. Makes sense for clothes (he could get dressed himself without putting together a hideous combo) but dude applied it to everything he owned. :shrug:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

At that point I would assume it's something that mildly amuses him and nobody else.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

DumbparameciuM posted:

Everything he owned was black, right down to the seeing eye dog. I didn't get either. Makes sense for clothes (he could get dressed himself without putting together a hideous combo) but dude applied it to everything he owned. :shrug:

I guess that works. I had an English teacher who was blind. She did the opposite; she picked out as many garish colors as she could and just mixed and matched them at random in the morning. She was a great teacher and was always amused by little things.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I believe that a portal to a hell-dimension has opened up somewhere in the shop because it's full of massive horseflies but I can't tell where the gently caress they're coming from. Like fifty of the bastards just buzzing around dive bombing me like I'm the physical embodiment of a aircraft carrier and they're the Japanese.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I love when work makes me flip my schedule around but gives me a day "off" to readjust. Just woke up, need to sleep in 8 hours to make sure I get 8 hours of sleep to wake up at 2 am tomorrow. Oh boy a whole 8 hours of fun on my day off!

It certainly doesn't make me constantly look at the clock and get progressively more and more stressed out that work is approaching and I barely got any rest!

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 7, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

I love when work makes me flip my schedule around but gives me a day "off" to readjust. Just woke up, need to sleep in 8 hours to make sure I get 8 hours of sleep to wake up at 2 am tomorrow. Oh boy a whole 8 hours of fun on my day off!

It certainly doesn't make me constantly look at the clock and get progressively more and more stressed out that work is approaching and I barely got any rest!

I've had close/open shifts back to back almost every day for the past two weeks and boy that poo poo gets old in a hurry. It isn't like I don't have enough time to get home and go to sleep, but it's kind of hard to just come straight home and go to bed like you're 'supposed' to.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm not sure what I find more impressive, the fact that someone managed to process a 16 year old return the other day (our return policy is 90 days), or the fact that said item still had the original tags - from 2001 - and is in overall good condition.

Also apparently we put it back on the sales floor. At least we discounted it, I guess. (it's a pair of underwear. Seriously.)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 9, 2017

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

:stare:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So have a new job now...

The two assistant managers just walked. The first one because they are missing a deposit (they left from the store with it, and said they deposited it at the bank, but they didn't find it in the night deposit box.) They were going to be suspended today, but just decided to quit. The other AM came into work, worked a bit, then said it didn't feel right to be working there after that and quit.

They were dating.

In fact the only reason the first AM had the job was because the second AM was trying to be store manager, and hired the first AM as an AM, while they were dating.

They were also trying to fire me because they wanted to hire more friends. But the company hired another Store Manager, and ruined their plans.

That brings the total number of jobs I have been fired or had someone try to get me fired who was then caught or heavily suspected of stealing up to 4. loving great.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Anora posted:

So have a new job now...

The two assistant managers just walked. The first one because they are missing a deposit (they left from the store with it, and said they deposited it at the bank, but they didn't find it in the night deposit box.) They were going to be suspended today, but just decided to quit. The other AM came into work, worked a bit, then said it didn't feel right to be working there after that and quit.

They were dating.

In fact the only reason the first AM had the job was because the second AM was trying to be store manager, and hired the first AM as an AM, while they were dating.

They were also trying to fire me because they wanted to hire more friends. But the company hired another Store Manager, and ruined their plans.

That brings the total number of jobs I have been fired or had someone try to get me fired who was then caught or heavily suspected of stealing up to 4. loving great.

Start stealing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively hire yourself out as a embezzlement compass consultant. If someone above you starts trying to fire you, let corporate know to start watching them more carefully!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sage Grimm posted:

Alternatively hire yourself out as a embezzlement compass consultant. If someone above you starts trying to fire you, let corporate know to start watching them more carefully!

I have considered this...

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I got 0/10 on a survey for trying to upsell. Your move management.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Clearly you didn't upsell hard enough. Upselling cannot fail, it can only be failed :pseudo:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zenithe posted:

I got 0/10 on a survey for trying to upsell. Your move management.

Could you maybe parlay this into a scheme of "If you promise to give me a 10/10 on this survey, and specifically mention that I attempted to upsell, I will actually not upsell you today"?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Could you maybe parlay this into a scheme of "If you promise to give me a 10/10 on this survey, and specifically mention that I attempted to upsell, I will actually not upsell you today"?

I already do this, specifically to people who are paying with a fuel card. I know that they literally are incapable of buying anything else with their card, but if they answer the survey honestly and say that I didn't offer them something else then bad review.

Also our surveys are sent out randomly through the company rewards card program.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Right now I'm working as an assistant manager/manager in training at a retail pharmacy, and I'm enjoying the sweet rear end gig of getting a manager's salary with none of the responsibility. Today a customer came in, no purse, nothing in hands, I said "Hello welcome to x", she walks immediately back to the medication/first aid section. Fair enough. I continue waiting on customers until this lady comes back up with a cortizone cream in hand, and pulls out a receipt trying to return it. When I question her about this she immediately comes belligerent, telling me I must have mistaken her with a (slang ethnic slur, she was south asian and assumed I thought she was mexican?). She continues on, threatening to call corporate, until I just say gently caress it and try to do the return. The dumbass grabbed the wrong SKU off the shelf. I asked her to leave. Retail! :tipshat:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

SaberToothedPie posted:

Right now I'm working as an assistant manager/manager in training at a retail pharmacy, and I'm enjoying the sweet rear end gig of getting a manager's salary with none of the responsibility. Today a customer came in, no purse, nothing in hands, I said "Hello welcome to x", she walks immediately back to the medication/first aid section. Fair enough. I continue waiting on customers until this lady comes back up with a cortizone cream in hand, and pulls out a receipt trying to return it. When I question her about this she immediately comes belligerent, telling me I must have mistaken her with a (slang ethnic slur, she was south asian and assumed I thought she was mexican?). She continues on, threatening to call corporate, until I just say gently caress it and try to do the return. The dumbass grabbed the wrong SKU off the shelf. I asked her to leave. Retail! :tipshat:

If it was slow you should have pulled the "Well I'll need to check the lowest previous sale price of this real quick, corporate policy" thing my old shift lead and I used to do when there was someone blatantly stealing. It was fun leaving them stewing for several minutes in their own guilty juices before denying the return.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

UZworm posted:

If it was slow you should have pulled the "Well I'll need to check the lowest previous sale price of this real quick, corporate policy" thing my old shift lead and I used to do when there was someone blatantly stealing. It was fun leaving them stewing for several minutes in their own guilty juices before denying the return.

Unfortunately this was a fairly busy sunday night, usually when I suspect this I just tell them our systems aren't working correctly and they need to go back to the store they bought it from (I also do this with coupon fraud customers.)

Edit: Also a fun fact, the first month I was in my new store I somehow managed to find ~$2000 of expired items, on the shelf, including baby and children's formula. I also had learned that the employees at this store were taught to 0 out the count of any item that was less than 3 in the system, regardless of whether we had it or not. Guess how much overstock they had?! :wtc:

SaberToothedPie fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 14, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Welp, next 3 weeks are going to be hell. Last year on the Saturday before the start of the school year we pulled in more in sales than we did for Black Friday.

Thank gently caress I am in copy & print now, at least it won't be as bad on my side of the store.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

SaberToothedPie posted:

I also had learned that the employees at this store were taught to 0 out the count of any item that was less than 3 in the system, regardless of whether we had it or not. Guess how much overstock they had?! :wtc:

I bet that started as "if the system says we have like 1-5 of whatever, and it's small and cheap, and the shelf is empty and you can't find them anywhere, write them off so we get another delivery".

And then a game of telephone and some employee laziness turned it into just writing poo poo off whenever.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Apparently there was a shooting in our parking lot 4 am this morning and I didn't know about it until a bud texted me about it just now. Sometimes I go in at 5am on Mondays and sometimes I see homeless people walking around. Not a peep from anybody while at work today when I went in at 7 am.

Also our store is right next to a high school. It sucks rear end trying to leave because students line up at all 3 exits. It takes literally takes 10 minutes to take a right turn out of there.

The good news for me, I won't be working senior rewards day first Wednesday in September due to jury duty. Bad news is, if I get selected, I'll have to attend twice a week up to possibly for 4 months. There's no way I'm going to schedule myself to work the 5 days and then go to jury duty the other 2 days. Our company does pay for jury duty, so they better comply. I'm not going to tie up my life 7 days a week for 4 months.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Wow that sucks, I guess I have it made with the MA "One day or one trial" system.

You show up, if you get selected you serve for a single trial, and you're done for the next three years (minimum, I've been summoned for Jury Duty twice, first was in 2003, second in 2014)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
Yea, that's what it was like for me my last two jury duties, but those were petit/trial juries.

This summons is for a Grand Jury. From my understanding, a few months is typical. From what I read on the internet, I guess grand juries decide on multiple cases if they have merit to go to trial.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

ijii posted:

Yea, that's what it was like for me my last two jury duties, but those were petit/trial juries.

This summons is for a Grand Jury. From my understanding, a few months is typical. From what I read on the internet, I guess grand juries decide on multiple cases if they have merit to go to trial.

It's pretty easy to not be selected. Just go in your best goon suit and act like a weirdo if you don't want to be on the jury

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zenithe posted:

It's pretty easy to not be selected. Just go in your best goon suit and act like a weirdo if you don't want to be on the jury

"I spend my off hours posting on a dead gay Internet forum. I paid ten dollars so I could!"

That'd probably get you dismissed immediately.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Say the magic words and you and everyone in the room will be dismissed

Jury nullification

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If you answer that you know what jury nullification is and that you don't believe the word of a law enforcement officer is innately more trustworthy than any other person's, you probably won't be selected.

In other news, our grocery crew walked out the other day. They just left in the middle of a shift. The lead stocker and the store manager were loving thrilled with that one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I've always wanted to do Jury service, I can't imagine wanting to get out of it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

I've always wanted to do Jury service, I can't imagine wanting to get out of it.

That's another thing that will get you disqualified quickly - showing interest in the process.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Didn't for me.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Grand jury is different in my experience. They don't interview individuals. Just blanket ask the room "Does anyone have any serious reason to not be on the grand jury" and then they take everyone. In my area, the whole room was quartered and each quarter was assigned to be the grand jury for one week in the month with certain members selected to be the spokesperson of whatever week they're assigned and others as the backup for their week.

Probably different outside of Fairbanks Alaska though.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

we need to stop using "shorts" for portmanteaus, skorts and jorts are really high up there for "most unappealing word"

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
You know what, I've been in this city for 8 years and both my parents have been to jury more than once, and my sister has had to go once. When is it my turn? Why can't I be picked?

This is discrimination I tells ya.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

While looking into some other stuff I discovered that at one of our stores, the manager just logs into all the registers and it runs under that login from open until close

lord help us if anyone ever steals because it's impossible to track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Shugojin posted:

While looking into some other stuff I discovered that at one of our stores, the manager just logs into all the registers and it runs under that login from open until close

lord help us if anyone ever steals because it's impossible to track

Or he's the one stealing and thinks you won't notice because he is ~everywhere~