Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't think I've even heard Endurance ever...or at least I don't recall doing so at all.

It's in the Horus Heresy books as Mortarion's flagship. Described as one big slab of unpainted grey with a giant brass skull on the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cythereal posted:

It's in the Horus Heresy books as Mortarion's flagship. Described as one big slab of unpainted grey with a giant brass skull on the front.

Like a tombstone?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Have the 2 missing primarchs ever materialized in the fluff? I recall the whole one legion was sanctioned by the wolves and one suffered a tragedy and when Horus was doing his chaos coma he walked by the 2 chambers and commented on how much potential was cut short.

Back in 2015/6 wasn't the missing primachs supposed to be the main subject of a book or novella? I swear I remember that being banded around semi seriously a few years ago.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

pentyne posted:

Have the 2 missing primarchs ever materialized in the fluff? I recall the whole one legion was sanctioned by the wolves and one suffered a tragedy and when Horus was doing his chaos coma he walked by the 2 chambers and commented on how much potential was cut short.

Back in 2015/6 wasn't the missing primachs supposed to be the main subject of a book or novella? I swear I remember that being banded around semi seriously a few years ago.

GW has said repeatedly that they will not flesh out the two lost primarchs as they want that avenue to be available for homebrew space marine chapters. Anything that has been said has been circumstantial at best.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MariusLecter posted:

Like a tombstone?

I'm guessing that's the intention, yes. The Death Guard's thing in the Horus Heresy books, appearance-wise, is that they don't paint their armor or do much decorating. At most they slap a brass skull on something and call it a day. Typhon's company adds a bit of green trim. Otherwise unpainted grey ceramite and metal is the order of the day.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

mango sentinel posted:

I thought Terminus Est was the flagship for Death Guard, but it was the ship commander by Typhon, not Mortarion.

Typhon got his own battleship and command of his own expeditionary fleet away from mortarion as he was supposed to be one of the best fleet commanders in the legions. Also how he was able to one of the first dabblers in chaos.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Typhon is Erebus best buddie, so he's guaranted to be a colossal jerk.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Black Libary's running a vote for which two out-of-print novels they'll bring back for their anniversary early next year.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/15/returning-classic-novels-your-vote-counts-aug-15gw-homepage-post-4/

If you don't vote Space Marine you're a bad Ham.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's not fair. Most of their books are out of print because they only make so many before sharting out another one. Then again, I usually buy dog eared paperbacks used off of Amazon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rocket_Magnet posted:

Typhon got his own battleship and command of his own expeditionary fleet away from mortarion as he was supposed to be one of the best fleet commanders in the legions. Also how he was able to one of the first dabblers in chaos.

He was also a psyker who wanted to be Chief Librarian. In the legion whose motto was "gently caress psykers."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cythereal posted:

He was also a psyker who wanted to be Chief Librarian. In the legion whose motto was "gently caress psykers."

That had to make for some awkward silences in meetings and in the ship corridors. Also for some interesting internal dialogue with himself.

"I know my primarch just said that all psykers should be put to death, but I am sure he didn't mean me."

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Cognitive dissonance is par for the course with the legions. Hell the Space Puppies were all "sorcery is evil and sorcerers need to be killed but these Rune Priest are totes not sorcerers so are chill"

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Cognitive dissonance is par for the course with the legions. Hell the Space Puppies were all "sorcery is evil and sorcerers need to be killed but these Rune Priest are totes not sorcerers so are chill"

Dude, it's the spirits of Fenris, totally not the warp. Nope, no warp powers here, just channeling the spirit of Fenris.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I remember that really annoying me in the Blood Angels book, Fear to Tread I think?

The Space Wolf watch team from Malcador turn up, Rune Priest in tow.

The Blood Angels, who have banned their Psykers, per Nikea, and are visibly watchin their own ex-psykers like hawks for signs of backsliding are totally 'This is forbidden'.

And the Space Wolves reply is as you said....

Alternative pants posted:

Dude, it's the spirits of Fenris, totally not the warp. Nope, no warp powers here, just channeling the spirit of Fenris.

.... and the Blood Angels just accept that and it's never mentioned again.

Annoyed the hell out of me.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's almost like hypocrisy and lack of critical thinking are hallmarks of the setting!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

.... and the Blood Angels just accept that and it's never mentioned again.

Annoyed the hell out of me.

Well, the Blood Angels probably know of the Space Wolves' rumored role in the censure and erasure of the two missing legions, as well as the conflict between Russ and Angron.

Ahriman called the rune priests out on their poo poo and then the Thousand Suns got their poo poo pushed in so hard they had to abandon their homeworld.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 16, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Well, the Blood Angels probably know of the Space Wolves' rumored role in the censure and erasure of the two missing legions, as well as the conflict between Russ and Angron.

Ahriman called the rune priests out on their poo poo and then the Thousand Suns got their poo poo pushed in so hard they had to abandon their homeworld.

After Ahriman fought the chief Rune Priest in the Warp and ripped said priest's soul out of his body and tossed him off to daemons to be devoured, though.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
With regard to psychic ability, the space wolves are staggering in their hipocracy with relation to their so-called Noble and good Rune priests versus all of the other psykers in the Imperium, especially those in the Thousand Sons.

gently caress the space woofs forever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, almost every Legion was a pack of howling assholes.

Except the Raven Guard and Salamanders. They were alright. And maybe the White Scars.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

After Ahriman fought the chief Rune Priest in the Warp and ripped said priest's soul out of his body and tossed him off to daemons to be devoured, though.

I never said the Thousand Sons didn't push back, but when the Emperor tells the wolves to bring Magnus in for censure, and take some custodes and player nullifying sisters of silence you're gonna have a bad time. Especially once the already traitorous Horus changes the order from capture to kill in a play to remove two powerful legions from the war.

On the subject of hypocritical treatment of psykers, anyone have a comment on Mortarion's relationship with Calas Typhon?

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 16, 2017

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, almost every Legion was a pack of howling assholes.

Except the Raven Guard and Salamanders. They were alright. And maybe the White Scars.

The World Eaters may of been flaming assholes but at least they weren't hypocritical flaming assholes. They knew they were the mailed fist of a brutal dictator so they went with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I never said the Thousand Sons didn't push back, but when the Emperor tells the wolves to bring Magnus in for censure, and take some custodes and player nullifying sisters of silence you're gonna have a bad time.

The main problem was that Magus knew the Wolves were coming and refused to give warming or organise any kind of defense, out of guilt for loving up his dad's plans so badly

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The main problem was that Magus knew the Wolves were coming and refused to give warming or organise any kind of defense, out of guilt for loving up his dad's plans so badly

To be fair, he did massively gently caress up everything by poisoning the webway

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Was this when he knew it was a capture order rather than a kill one?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I think he knew the Wolves were coming to censure the Sons, all the Primarchs knew about the two lost ones and what had happened to them. Even if it was just because of Horus being an rear end in a top hat the order to wipe them out can't have been a shock. Hell he didn't actually act until the Wolves were getting close to actually doing so.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I forget, what's the latest canon on when Prospero burned? It's ranged from shortly after Horus' coma to after the dropsite massacre.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arbite posted:

I forget, what's the latest canon on when Prospero burned? It's ranged from shortly after Horus' coma to after the dropsite massacre.

Has to be post Isstvan. There couldn't have been enough time between coma and massacre for Horus to gently caress with Russ.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just after Isstvan 3, but before word got to Terra that the rebellion was underway like with Calth if I'm not mistaken. Horus used the whole affair to get rid of some more of his Legion he figured wouldn't turn traitor.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 18, 2017

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
I'm still hazy on the timeline for the heresy kicking off and the whole Magnus thing. Was it Outcast Dead where the traitor legion astartes on Terra are all under arrest because word is out about the heresy but then the Magnus webway fuckup happens? Which should mean Russ knows about Horus before being sent to waffle-stomp the Sons.

Disclaimer - Outcast Dead was a terrible book so my brain may have discarded some of the details and I could be talking utter glossia

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Outcast Dead's timeline doesn't work, at all.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I'm amazed at the range in interest I have in these books. I have the three Hersey omnibus editions and couldn't get through The Razing of Prospero's first story, A Thousand Sons. A hundred pages of boring nothingness just to introduce the freaking Primarch.

I forgot I preordred Garro after reading Flight of the Eisensteni, but it showed up two days ago. I'm already 200 pages in and there's been more universe development than I expect to get out of the entirety of A Thousand Sons.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

DARPA posted:

I'm amazed at the range in interest I have in these books. I have the three Hersey omnibus editions and couldn't get through The Razing of Prospero's first story, A Thousand Sons. A hundred pages of boring nothingness just to introduce the freaking Primarch.

I forgot I preordred Garro after reading Flight of the Eisensteni, but it showed up two days ago. I'm already 200 pages in and there's been more universe development than I expect to get out of the entirety of A Thousand Sons.

This is because Flight of the Eisenstein was written when they still intended to end the story in like 10 books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many Heresy novels have been written? It's got to be reaching Discworld levels, if it hasn't surpassed them already.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arcsquad12 posted:

How many Heresy novels have been written? It's got to be reaching Discworld levels, if it hasn't surpassed them already.
Wikipedia lists 40 books, not counting the various compilations/anthologies.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Most likely, but Discworld was written over time by a single person. Warhammer is cranked out by almost a dozen different writters.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Which author has the most warham books under their belt?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Probably abnett. GG plus eisenhorn/ravenor plus hh and his stand alones

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Finished First Heretic, about to move into Aurelian.

I spent a lot of time wondering just who the "first heretic" title refers to, and I think it's the Emperor, based on the prevailing themes and some cool reveals later in the book.

(I realize that I'm spoiling speculation, but from it you can back-engineer the joy out of some surprises.)

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I finished "Primogenitor", the Fabius Bile novel, this week, and I recommend it. The prose and dialogue are excellent, and Bile's characterization is really cool. Story is good too, both creepy and interesting. A very good surprise for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

moths posted:

Finished First Heretic, about to move into Aurelian.

I spent a lot of time wondering just who the "first heretic" title refers to, and I think it's the Emperor, based on the prevailing themes and some cool reveals later in the book.

(I realize that I'm spoiling speculation, but from it you can back-engineer the joy out of some surprises.)

The book is great because there's a few candidates for the title.