Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Am I missing something here? Of course faces come from dead people. What's the alternative, in honor of her late husband Sansa's face is skinned alive and she spends the rest of her life looking like the dude from the Boltons banner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Am I missing something here? Of course faces come from dead people. What's the alternative, in honor of her late husband Sansa's face is skinned alive and she spends the rest of her life looking like the dude from the Boltons banner?

yes, to prove her loyalty to the family, and earn Aryas respect, she lets her cut off her face. It isn't permanent because 1) she can have it back later and 2) they can give her a placeholder. and 3) they won't go into details.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

will they bone first

only if arya skins his penis after she kill him.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

counterfeitsaint posted:

I guess I sorta assumed the faces were a little bit more magic than a literal removal of the facial skin and thus maybe she could magically create one.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I guess I sorta assumed the faces were a little bit more magic than a literal removal of the facial skin and thus maybe she could magically create one.

In the book they like slice arya's face a little bit before she puts on her first mask. We don't know how extensive the cutting was. maybe that process is magical too. It would be a nice tie in if you needed a valyrian blade to do it.

also... did arya give sansa her valyrian dagger?!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

will they bone first

I'd like to say Arya and Jaime will not bone that's awful

but gently caress this show sideways there is always more and it is always worse

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks to whoever posted that leak for S8.

https://youtu.be/_Lp9F_P0dwA

Now let's remember this show for what it did good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Real talk how the gently caress did they resist putting in the sticky princes part into the show

it's the lowest hanging fruit

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The same way they somehow resisted having Cersei's sapphic adventures, and Dany regularly loving her handmaids.

e: magic

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I gave the show waaaay too much credit for the last episode. First I thought they actually might have the balls to kill off King Jon, then I thought maybe he may be resistant to cold because he's undead. Dude was in the water for ages and should have dead in a minute.

But the show is just poo poo.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Zenithe posted:

I gave the show waaaay too much credit for the last episode. First I thought they actually might have the balls to kill off King Jon, then I thought maybe he may be resistant to cold because he's undead. Dude was in the water for ages and should have dead in a minute.

But the show is just poo poo.

Hey, if Arya can survive a stab to the stomach with a few bandages and a nice bowl of soup...

But yeah, I had the same thought. Nothing actually contradicts the idea that Jon only survived the ice water because he's undead, and Benjen merely saved him from the zombies, so I still like to view it that way. Surely would have showed a minimum of competence if it had been acknowledged at any point, though.

Dany: "I saw you fall into the ice water. How do you still have your toes?"
Jon: "Oh, you know, I'm a right proper lad. And I didn't keep just my toes, wink wink."

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
I came to think about something when the 'bend the knee'-scene took place in regard of word-trickery and 'bend the knee'-memes. Bending the knee is mostly associated in this show with swearing fealty to someone. However, Jon only said: "My queen" and that he should have knelt. If you think about it, him being a king and calling her his queen isn't off from how a real male monarch would adress his wife, and bending the knee is also another way of proposing a marriage. Therefore this big mess with word-trickery and 'bend the knee'-memes might as well just cloud the viewer from what's really going to happen - the marriage between Jon and Dany.

PS: We all know they are going to bone so why not.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GannerOne posted:

I came to think about something when the 'bend the knee'-scene took place in regard of word-trickery and 'bend the knee'-memes. Bending the knee is mostly associated in this show with swearing fealty to someone. However, Jon only said: "My queen" and that he should have knelt. If you think about it, him being a king and calling her his queen isn't off from how a real male monarch would adress his wife, and bending the knee is also another way of proposing a marriage. Therefore this big mess with word-trickery and 'bend the knee'-memes might as well just cloud the viewer from what's really going to happen - the marriage between Jon and Dany.

PS: We all know they are going to bone so why not.

They bone next episode, and Dany cums so hard the Wall falls, so you don't have to wait long.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

They turned Smaug into a Wyvern too, probably for the same reason. So stupid. Give us actual dragons for once.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Again, they just do wyverns because it lets them copy all the animation from bats. Everything else is just an excuse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kcroy posted:

I think it is almost impossible to have a good start/middle/end when the length of the story arc is decided "as you go". You pointed out BoB, and yeah - that is because it was planned out and executed from beginning to end, they didn't try and stick in a few extra seasons, some love interests, blah blah blah.

I mean first season of true detective was good, and I liked the ending - but same deal as you mentioned with BoB.

I like the wire if it had ended with season 4.

People pointed out the shield, which was pretty good, although I found it really frustrating watching all the gently caress ups / unforced errors in the last season.

I dunno. TV is sort of poo poo at endings.

Late on this but gonna go with Farscape. Perfect ending.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope you're referring to peacekeeper wars and not season 4's ending.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Of course.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Will GRRM handle the ending better I wonder (provided he ever finishes)?

Back in college I used to DM D&D and I used to love running very gritty and realistic campaigns. I put the players in serious moral conundrums. Player Characters would die all the time and get set back in serious ways. It made players frustrated sometimes but they really got into it and felt like a lot was at stake.

But fatigue would always set in towards the end of the semester and all my plans would start to simplify significantly so that we could finish the campaign on time. I equate it to starting a game on hardcore mode and then setting it to easy mode partway through just to finish it quickly and see the rest of the content.

I feel like this is exactly what has happened to GoT since they stopped following the books. But wasn't this sort of necessary? If they followed Books 4 and 5 more closely Dany would still be in Meereen with her dragons chained up. Tyrion would still be floating on the Rhoyne river. We would be spending a lot more screen time on tons of new characters and plots that either were just introduced, or were only very briefly shown in the early seasons. I think it would have ground the show to a halt and would have been much worse.

So I ask again, will GRRM, who has introduced far more plot elements, manage to keep the "difficulty" up and still manage to resolve all the plot elements cleanly?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think GRRM's going to deliver like for like parts better and any conclusion he theoretically comes to will be better but that's not saying it's going to be good.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No.

Maybe if he had forty years to tinker and rewrite. But as it stands where he barely manages to write three chapters every six months? No.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Season 4's ending was amazing.

"wait did they just explode, man next season is going to be crazy......what do you mean theres no next season"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think GRRM's going to deliver like for like parts better and any conclusion he theoretically comes to will be better but that's not saying it's going to be good.

The supposed s8 spoilers are pretty lame, and most spoilers have been accurate thus far, but I guess who can say. Also I mean just lol if you think he's ever going to write another book.

The spoilers will make for some badass battle scenes though I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The next book will come out and it’ll be mostly good. He’ll never make another, though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"Write a better book than the movie" is not a very high bar to clear, even crappy writers clear it all the time, so I trust anything Gurm may or may not publish will easily clear it.

Hell, I predict that - assuming Gurm never finishes the series - the top 0.1% of fanfiction endings that will be written after his death will still be better than the show.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The only cool dragons are celestials. The rest are dumb nerd poo poo.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The only cool dragons are celestials. The rest are dumb nerd poo poo.

nehaschimic dragons i.m.o.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Hell, I predict that - assuming Gurm never finishes the series - the top 0.1% of fanfiction endings that will be written after his death will still be better than the show.

benioff & weiss are below-average fanfic writers friend
im confident at least 50% of fanfiction endings will be better than the show

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The next book will come out and it’ll be mostly good. He’ll never make another, though.

He'll write dozens of books. He'll just never finish Ice and Fire.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

He knows how the story is going to end, so he has no interest anymore.

No he's not going to tell you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Queen of Burns

also I hope those lovely "leaked" scripts are fake because holy gently caress that ending. Unless it's actually their plan to take a massive, gleefully spiteful poo poo all over GRRM and the world he built, in which case have at it, boys :thumbsup:

But yeah lol no Dan Weiss and David Benioff are idiots so they're all probably real.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No.

Maybe if he had forty years to tinker and rewrite. But as it stands where he barely manages to write three chapters every six months? No.

I really, really feel at this point that GURM has forgotten the face of his father the basic point of being a writer. Put the words on the goddamn page, because you cannot edit a blank page into something publishable, you have to do the work.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Gianthogweed posted:

They turned Smaug into a Wyvern too, probably for the same reason. So stupid. Give us actual dragons for once.

I just can't imagine giving that much of a poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I didn't read the s8 stuff but considering that what little we've seen from GRRM for TWoW included Damphir(?) mentioning that Euron has a full set of valarian armor, and potentially killed a god(????), who the gently caress knows what he was thinking for how he wanted to wrap up the story.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kavak posted:

He knows how the story is going to end, so he has no interest anymore.

No he's not going to tell you.

I think he literally said that. That he writes to see where things end up, and once he knows that, he loses interest or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, he definitely prefers working on short stories and one offs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

kcroy posted:

I think he literally said that. That he writes to see where things end up, and once he knows that, he loses interest or something.

Exactly. He figured out the post-AFFC/ADWD endgame and spent all his remaining energy trying to get out of the corner he wrote himself into dropping the timeskip, so now he writes a sentence or two a week then goes back to the TV.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm skeptical that episode scripts would be written that far in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm skeptical that episode scripts would be written that far in advance.

They start shooting Season 8 in October. And for a show that generally shoots everyone in one go like GoT does, they kind of need the whole season's scripts done well in advance of shooting because the show is a logistical and coordination nightmare and run by a production crew who genuinely deserve better EPs than the two dignuses they're stuck with, if the behind the scenes material can be believed.

So yeah, it's just within the realm of possibility, which lends them an air of credulity. But yeah I still hope they're all bullshit.