Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
You know? I always wished there was more differentiation between various similar ki blasts and how they work. Like, with no evidence from the actual source material, I always liked to think Masenko was powered by malice or inner anger. I mean, it's a demon attack. It's right in the name. Being stronger the more negative emotion one has would make sense. So it was Gohan's go to move for the longest time because for him it was like firing off an instant fully charged Kamehameha, or maybe even better. It would also explain why Gohan stopped using it. Once he got older and stopped being a little ball of rage, the Kamehameha was just a better move.

No real reason for any of that, mind. I would just like it if there were reasons everyone goes with whatever named generic ki blast they favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
They are powered by yelling in a squatting position.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Yelling while squatting powers most of the things on the show, it is my belief goku has learned how to yell while squatting internally which is why he is so strong. Quite possibly, the strongest.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
At some point they might confront Goku about this. He hasn't even kissed his wife even once and has two kids with her. How is that even possible?

Vegeta's internal conflict over being a dad/loving husband and a proud Saiyan prince is highly amusing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kild posted:

you mean the guy who went off to an asteroid and whined until he got saiyan so he didn't see Trunks' birth either?

Vegeta was an rear end in a top hat what is your point

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Vegeta was an rear end in a top hat what is your point

That one instance of being good doesn't make him better? Like the beginning of super has him taking Trunks out to a theme park because he got mad and punched him.

e: Hell he'd probably miss this one too if Bulma wasn't the most powerful being. He's doing it out of fear instead of duty.

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 23, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So one bad instance a decade ago is more relevant?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kild posted:

That one instance of being good doesn't make him better? Like the beginning of super has him taking Trunks out to a theme park because he got mad and punched him.

e: Hell he'd probably miss this one too if Bulma wasn't the most powerful being. He's doing it out of fear instead of duty.
Leaving aside question of moral value or who is the true dark secret powerhouse who everyone fears (remember to like and subscribe), it seems that the key difference is that Vegeta has changed his behavior in a discernible way, while Goku clearly has not, and indeed, somehow managed to miss his wife having a baby while he was alive and living at home.

e: This makes the Geets dynamic vs. Goku's staticness.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku's a pretty good dad to gohan in the movies

that's why they're not canon

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Vegeta let his son nearly die due to his own ego, then seven(?) years later decided to....let his son nearly die due to his own ego.

It took Vegeta two instances of being a horrible fuckup for him to change, Goku's only horribly hosed up once. He needs to gently caress up one more time before we can truly compare them.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Hmm, yes. Ultimately it may boil down to Vegeta being old enough to remember what it was like to have a father. :engleft:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Hmm, yes. Ultimately it may boil down to Vegeta being old enough to remember what it was like to have a father. :engleft:

Grandpa Gohan is basically Goku's father

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Grandpa Gohan is basically Goku's father

So what you're saying is that Goku's grown past killing his family to just ignoring them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

So what you're saying is that Goku's grown past killing his family to just ignoring them.

That's definitely progress

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I'm sure Vegeta can take pride that his youngest child, right now, born after Goku's first grand child, could beat up Goku's youngest child.

At least he would if anyone remembered Goten

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bobjr posted:

One episode will have a smash cut to Goten's birthday party with everyone but Goku present.

Didn't one of the Buu saga fillers after Kid Buu was destroyed them having a party and Goku didn't come to it until very late because he was too busy watching a dinosaur egg or something?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rirse posted:

Didn't one of the Buu saga fillers after Kid Buu was destroyed them having a party and Goku didn't come to it until very late because he was too busy watching a dinosaur egg or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGvt5sBoyIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxzQcBs3lIk

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

the "Not knowing when Gohan was born" thing honestly bums me out because there's this weird thing both Toyotaro and Toei's writers have with making Goku seem like actively Modern Homer Simpson levels of stupid and neglectful

It appeared in both the anime and the manga. That's neither Toei nor Toyotaro, that's Toriyama.

It should be noted that literally nothing before contradicts Goku being a piece of poo poo dad. He's constantly been neglectful of his family in favour of training, and went as far as throwing his son into a deadly situation he wanted nothing with because "he could take it". And yes, he could, but it ended up being highly traumatic, and I'm glad karma caught up to Goku for that one.

If anything, Toei has taken several steps to try to make Goku less of an awful person. Every scene I can remember of Goku not being terrible (such as completely losing his poo poo in absolute tranquil rage at Black for killing alt-timeline Goten and Chi-chi) is anime-only. Considering how different Gohan not joining Team U7 for the first tournament is, I can imagine Toriyama's vision was closer to Toyotaro (Goku getting annoyed at Gohan prioritizing his job) than Toei's (Goku accepting Gohan's choice).

Hell, the ending of the series is Goku outright abandoning his family to kidnap a child instead because he really wants a new rival. So he's neglectful even towards his existing rival! Goku just doesn't care about anyone other than Krillin, and even that's only sometimes.

Burkion posted:

You know, I'm sure Vegeta can take pride that his youngest child, right now, born after Goku's first grand child, could beat up Goku's youngest child.

At least he would if anyone remembered Goten

Goku's first grandchild is quite the dangerous opponent though, I'm sure Bra would have quite the fight there! Baby Pan is a very strong quarter-Saiyan.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
we have no idea what "toriyama's vision" is because we have no idea how much work he actually does on Super other than arc outlines and character designs

also I can't believe anyone is actually using the Cell thing as a bad parenting thing. Goku knew the only person who could beat Cell was Gohan. What was his alternative there? Just let them all get murdered?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He gave Cell the senzu bean.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Raxivace posted:

He gave Cell the senzu bean.

Which in no way altered the outcome Goku predicted up until the point Cell tried to blow himself up which no one knew was a thing that could happen

SON GOKU DID NOTHING WRONG 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan going ss2 had nothing to do with goku and everything to do with android 16 sacrificing himself. goku giving cell the senzu bean drew out the fight, got gohan seriously injured, and caused the death of at least 3 people (16, trunks, and goku himself) before cell died

it was treated as a huge gently caress up and as goku not understanding his son at all. idk how you can get any other reading of this when piccolo points it out for you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

we have no idea what "toriyama's vision" is because we have no idea how much work he actually does on Super other than arc outlines and character designs

also I can't believe anyone is actually using the Cell thing as a bad parenting thing. Goku knew the only person who could beat Cell was Gohan. What was his alternative there? Just let them all get murdered?

The thing is, Goku didn't REALLY try. Like, he gave it his level best as a fighter himself, but if he was super serious about killing Cell no matter what, it wouldn't have been 1 V 1. He would have had everyone fighting Cell like they did with Freeza, while he got a Spirit Bomb put together.

Instead it was always just tournament fighting to him because he had misjudged who his son was as a person on a fundamental level.

Sure you can make the argument that the Spirit Bomb might not have worked, as it only had a 1 in 3 success rate and that one success had yet to happen, but Trunks, Vegeta and Gohan holding off Cell would have been enough to gently caress with the bug man.

And hell, if Goku got mortally wounded while spirit bombing, that would have set Gohan off anyways.

Basically it was just Goku's approach that's bad parenting.

Remember, Goku VS Freeza was only ever REALLY 1 V 1 after he went SSJ. Up until then, it was Freeza dicking around with him and then Piccolo stepping in to help with some outside assistance from Gohan and Krillin while he Spirit Bombed.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan going ss2 had nothing to do with goku and everything to do with android 16 sacrificing himself. goku giving cell the senzu bean drew out the fight, got gohan seriously injured, and caused the death of at least 3 people (16, trunks, and goku himself) before cell died

it was treated as a huge gently caress up and as goku not understanding his son at all. idk how you can get any other reading of this when piccolo points it out for you

I was not entirely serious about defending the bean part I was hoping the last sentence would have gotten that across

also Burkion I highly disagree jumping Cell with everyone would have done any good when the guy just randomly shits out six babies that are stronger than everyone at the tournament

seriously though here's a hot take about the cell saga: android 16 being the thing to make gohan snap and go super saiyan 2 was loving dumb

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the 16 thing fits with what little of a character arc 16 has but not quite with Gohan's. I wouldn't call it dumb insomuch as I could imagine Gohan snapping over seeing anyone getting their head stomped like they were in a Resident Evil game (Particularly in the manga where it's a little more mechanically gory than the anime IIRC), but it's not Toriyama's best bit of plotting.

Like wasn't the Cell Games the first time 16 and Gohan even met?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 23, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gohan snapped because 16 told him it's ok to get mad. the talk was the important part

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Raxivace posted:

Yeah the 16 thing fits with what little of a character arc 16 has but not quite with Gohan's. I wouldn't call dumb insomuch as I could imagine Gohan snapping over seeing anyone getting their head stomped like they were in a Resident Evil game (Particularly in the manga where it's a little more mechanically gory than the anime IIRC), but it's not Toriyama's best bit of plotting.

Like wasn't the Cell Games the first time 16 and Gohan even met?

not only is it the first time they meet but I'm almost positive the only time they speak to each other period is 16's little speech as a head

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

If it happens in both the anime and manga, it's clearly Toriyama's idea, since otherwise there's no reason for two creative teams to take a plot outline and reach the same destination. Super Saiyan Blue comes from Toriyama, the power-ups from there (Kaio-ken and Complete) are likely from Toei and Toyotaro respectively.

I won't point anything out on the second line since other posts have done it for me, but I will say this: what's up with this thread and ignoring what the series itself says? I thought it was just Rutibex and his Goku-obsession that seemed to rival Toyotaro's at times, but I've seen a lot of posts that just flat-out seem to not watch the series and go with their own ideas for the series as canon instead, Multiverse-style. The God/Blue debate (Blue was always, without exception, said to be stronger than God), saying that Tenshinhan is the strongest human (Krillin is, and this was confirmed when the current arc started), Beerus' relative power (stronger than Goku and Vegeta even now, likely to be surpassed at some point but not now), Goku's parenting skills (terrible, including in this instance where Piccolo outright points out how Goku's hosed up)...

I'd rather have that than power level debates like Kanzenshuu, but it's not like Dragon Ball is a particularly complex series. It's very blatant about everything.

Also I like the anime adding a nightmare sequence that properly leads to 16's death snapping Gohan, since otherwise it's very random. A really good scene regardless, but weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will admit that a lot of this is probably me projecting because I hate the actual Cell Games stuff and in fact almost everything after Perfect Cell shows up a lot. It's the only part of the series I actively dislike.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It appeared in both the anime and the manga. That's neither Toei nor Toyotaro, that's Toriyama.

I don't remember that line being in the anime

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kild posted:

I don't remember that line being in the anime

I didn't mean the line, but Goku being a stupid and neglectful dad and family man. And the anime heavily implies what the manga outright says anyways, since Goku has no idea what a pregnancy is (he thinks Bulma is fat, and that Vegeta is the one that's pregnant) which would be really weird for someone that saw his wife pregnant in the first place.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I always thought that the reason Gohan lost his poo poo was that he knew 16 couldn't be revived with the Dragon Balls.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx14C3NqZc8

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sonnystrait/status/899512902759186433

I love that Vegeta has always believed in Gohan since the Cell Saga.

Gohan just rolled up, went SSJ 2, and Vegeta quietly nodded and said "Yes, this is how it should be."

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What did Vegeta have to say when Gohan turned SS2 again? I know he gained alot of a respect as he was really sad he got so weak during the Dabura fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

https://twitter.com/sonnystrait/status/899512902759186433

I love that Vegeta has always believed in Gohan since the Cell Saga.

Gohan just rolled up, went SSJ 2, and Vegeta quietly nodded and said "Yes, this is how it should be."

the dub is so good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Is the dub cast just doing BS abridged stuff for fun now? I mean, that's dope if so.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

That was actually in the episode, it had me rolling

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Super dub has basically gone all in on the comedy, Chris Sabat in particular is enjoying himself (apparently SURE LET'S GO SEE YAMCHA was an ad-lib).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Chris must be enjoying himself with lines like "Yeah sure, Whatever Babe, is Beerus here?"