Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Yesterday, we got a new coop for our last two chickens (we will get more in the spring) and since it was an all day thing, we decided that we would bring Cricket outside in her travel cage and have her spend the day outside with us.

We set her under the tree in her travel cage and some toys, and gave her some apple and nutri berries etc and her bottle of water, and made sure she was pretty protected from any hawks and went to work. All we heard was "HEY BABY!!!" and "WhATCHA DOIN" all day long lol She seemed to enjoy it, but she has never been outside for longer than a few minutes getting to the car for a vet visit or to see her handraiser. So this was an all new experience for her. All in all, I think she had fun watching us...but she hardly moved at all off her perch, and refused to eat or drink. I think she was overwhelmed by being outside with the wild bird calls, a little breeze, honks of very angry old lady chooks who couldn't understand WHY we ripped down the only home they knew for their whole life, and just outside noise in general. She was out there from about 10-4, and then I brought her in cos the coastal wind we get was getting a bit strong for her imho.

She didn't eat anything or drink the whole time that I could see her outside, but this am she was still the same weight so she must have gorged when she came inside and I left to go back out to the back garden. And she was rather annoyed that i would let her out even though she was using her little begging motions for me :(

Overall though she had a good day, I think, but she was upset more over not having had her one on one time as much as normal.

Chickens are pissed off however, but at least they figured out where their new roosts were, and this am I had to go out and physically shove them through their new pophole and down the ramp so they could figure out to go down there to get to where their food and water is. Silly birds....love em but these two are definitely not in the IQ range of Cricket lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pneuma has a 6th Sense that tells him when a camera is in my hand. I'll never catch him with his eyes closed.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Did anyone's birbs react funny to the eclipse?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

blackflare posted:

I'm in the path of totality and a janky website gave me a time off by two hours to view it.

So we all slept.

God damnit.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Evil Eagle posted:

Pneuma has a 6th Sense that tells him when a camera is in my hand. I'll never catch him with his eyes closed.

Fluffbird :3: I want to nuzzle my face into his back.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFvfw_4KSY

I looked up how palm cockatoos sound when they talk. Considering that they can't fully close their mouths, it sounds like I expected.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I once met a bare eyed named BooBoo that loved to say, loudly, " HEWWWWWWWWWWO!" As his little version of hello.

He would also demand to have a person say hello to him and do a dance.

Awesome birb.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
From the World Parrot Trust Facebook page, photo by Paul Balfe:

This Sulphur-crested Cockatoo was not at all happy to find a Brush-tail Possum with joey hanging around near its nesting hollow. Shortly after this, the cocky gave Mother Possum a head butt on the backside, which caused quite a ruckus!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What do you think Buttons calls an eclipse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jUnu4t5gM

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really love that cockatoo.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eejit posted:

What do you think Buttons calls an eclipse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_jUnu4t5gM

I am at work so I can't watch the video, but I'm going to guess...

...cracker?

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

GoldStandardConure posted:

I am at work so I can't watch the video, but I'm going to guess...

...cracker?

"what does it look like?" "...a cracker?"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

blackflare posted:

My :derptiel: yelled for "night night" (cage cover) all afternoon but it does than any time it's cloudy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

blackflare posted:

no, probably because I live in Australia

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

The Narrator posted:

This Sulphur-crested Cockatoo was not at all happy to find a Brush-tail Possum with joey hanging around near its nesting hollow. Shortly after this, the cocky gave Mother Possum a head butt on the backside, which caused quite a ruckus!

Silly bird, the Gangnam Style fad is over.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

blackflare posted:

Nope. Cricket was too busy stuffing her belly.

Again.

My god that bird can eat lol Whoever said "eats like a bird" obviously had no idea about my PorkBirb.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I suspect my Grey knew exactly what was going on and was just like, "Who loving cares. I've got this poo poo to chew up in my cage."

Bird story: My grey has a habit of ripping out his water dish. No matter what I used, he found a way to yank it out. I finally got tired of it got one of those ceramic things that attaches to the cage by a bolt and wing nut in the back. No way he can get that off. Now, as a sign of protest, he has decided to fling ALL the food out of his food dish onto the cage floor. Every. Single. Crumb.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Narrator posted:

What happens when a force that gives no fucks meets a force that gives all of them.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mizuti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFvfw_4KSY

I looked up how palm cockatoos sound when they talk. Considering that they can't fully close their mouths, it sounds like I expected.

I love everyone's pet birds itt ESPECIALLY STEVE but the bird you linked is loving horrifying to me for some reason

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Does anyone else's bird sound like a constipated old man when they make a poop?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Uh, bird thread? I think we may have a problem. They have begun to organize.

https://twitter.com/philtastro/status/815108757843648512

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

titties posted:

I love everyone's pet birds itt ESPECIALLY STEVE but the bird you linked is loving horrifying to me for some reason

They are actually big dorks just like their cloud counterpartshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7IHsmu6dG8

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

redgubbinz posted:

That's very ominous :ohdear:

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Just got Pearl back from five days at the bird hotel. Apparently all the greys there were continuously synchronizing and doing that beep of trucks backing up. She seemed completely unemotional about my presence at first, but then this evening she asked for a bath (shocking for her) and then made it clear she would be sitting on my leg until bedtime. I'm onto you, Pearl.

It was very nice to catch up to all the birbposts here.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

Is Dreggon still with us :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Two birbs in the boob are worth uhhhh

e: please don't comment on my ratty old linty dress and its beautiful cat hair finish

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 23, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Two birbs in the boob are worth uhhhh

e: please don't comment on my ratty old linty dress and its beautiful cat hair finish

Love birds are obsessed with the breast/shirt ride along experience.

Some please post that gif to back me up.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

Some please post that gif to back me up.

This gif may have been one of the reasons I decided to go with lovebirbs.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

sun conures too

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

brb, going to test with a cockatiel.

edit: do not put a cockatiel down your shirt.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 23, 2017

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
If I'm wearing a loose soft top like an old tshirt Crouton instantly migrates to the armpit which is a FORBIDDEN ZONE as apparently being in an armpit makes her go into full-on nesty biting mode. If I am wearing a nice stiff top like that one she happily braces in with her claws on the dress and her back against my sternum and contentedly surveys her domain.

Galbedir is a boy and therefore non-bitey (unless confronted with nail clippers) so he is occasionally permitted to hang out in armpits and sleeves.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
sin conures

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All lovebirds do that; no idea why.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
lol re:lovebird and boobs

Cricket has started to discover the joys of climbing in my shirt. She doesn't do anything near as cute as the other shirt birds, but she will just go...traveling in and out the holes in my bird shirt lol In the armhole, in the neck hole, in the hole she made at the back ( sigh) She loves to swing from the hem or from the sleeve like a pendulum...so so strange lol

At least I have a use for all these old nasty house shirts I have...the ones that are just not good enough to be seen in public with. Apparently they are now Bird Shirts!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Hi, I'm definitely a leaf not a sleepy birb

Finally got a camera that can just about take a clear photo of a green thing hiding in a green thing :)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

titties posted:

the bird you linked is loving horrifying to me for some reason

Have to agree with you there. Their crests are always up, their mouths are always open, and their eyes are very dark and expressionless. I can't tell what goes through their heads.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mikerock posted:

Does anyone else's bird sound like a constipated old man when they make a poop?

No but I've occasionally heard fart noises when a huge poop came out.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Mizuti posted:

Have to agree with you there. Their crests are always up, their mouths are always open, and their eyes are very dark and expressionless. I can't tell what goes through their heads.

It's the lack of cheek feathers, I think. Makes them look kind of like buzzards. Perpetually open (huge) beak doesn't help anything.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
There is a woman in one of the dumb bird groups i follow on facebook who is bourgie as gently caress and has a pet black palm cockatoo, and she is crazy in the best possible way.

As her bird has become a bit of a celebrity in the group, when she went on holiday to Vegas and Disneyland she took a cardboard cut out of her bird with her for photo ops, including taking it on a rollercoaster so there is now a photo of a lady on a rollercoaster holding up a cardboard black palm cockatoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Stopped at the aviary. Didn't buy anything.

I want that one... And that one... And this one...