Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Somebody didn't win the powerball jackpot I guess and cut up their tickets in triangles and threw them in the parking lot like confetti which I had to sweep up. Sweeping up little slips of paper is a pain in the rear end. So is sweeping up cigarette butts because they fall out of a hole in the back of the dustpan which doesnt even have a handle. Oh and I cleaned up unidentifiable substances in both the mens and womens bathroom today.

I want an office job. Or at least a job where I dont have to wear a hat and I don't feel like my shoes are a biohazard that I need to leave outside when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Pentaghastly posted:

Somebody didn't win the powerball jackpot I guess and cut up their tickets in triangles and threw them in the parking lot like confetti which I had to sweep up. Sweeping up little slips of paper is a pain in the rear end. So is sweeping up cigarette butts because they fall out of a hole in the back of the dustpan which doesnt even have a handle. Oh and I cleaned up unidentifiable substances in both the mens and womens bathroom today.

I want an office job. Or at least a job where I dont have to wear a hat and I don't feel like my shoes are a biohazard that I need to leave outside when I get home.

You can buy pathogen resistant work boots you know. They're popular with paramedics and law enforcement.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"ONE DOLLAAR?!?! I DONT HAVE A DOLLAR" *takes hit on cigarette* "I HAVE MEDICARE I NEED MY INHALER ITS SUPOSED TO BE FREEEEEEE"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Report for cancer research fundraising:

I sure am glad i managed to raise ~$100 towards it. It's will probably almost cover the damages caused by the $1300 of tobacco products I sold today!

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

The Lord Bude posted:

You can buy pathogen resistant work boots you know. They're popular with paramedics and law enforcement.

I could, but honestly I think its just me being a germaphobe because realistically I don't step in anything different than from when I'm actually using a public restroom its just that I'm actually paying attention to all that gross poo poo now.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

These past two days I covered shifts for a friend of mine who works in a different department than me.

I was basically just playing bodyguard to our high risk products in that department, and I literally spent most of both days with my phone and a notebook, working on a personal project of my own, with manager approval to do so. As long as I was paying attention when customers were in the department (probably around 2/hr over the course of two 6-hour shifts), management didn't care what else I did.

It's going to be really hard to keep a straight face the next time my friend complains about how much she hates her job and wants to quit to be a Twitch superstar because her job is so 'boring'.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

HazCat posted:

These past two days I covered shifts for a friend of mine who works in a different department than me.

I was basically just playing bodyguard to our high risk products in that department, and I literally spent most of both days with my phone and a notebook, working on a personal project of my own, with manager approval to do so. As long as I was paying attention when customers were in the department (probably around 2/hr over the course of two 6-hour shifts), management didn't care what else I did.

It's going to be really hard to keep a straight face the next time my friend complains about how much she hates her job and wants to quit to be a Twitch superstar because her job is so 'boring'.

Trust me - while it sounds weird, being bored at your job becomes its own excruciating version of hell when you've done it long enough. Like I know when you are dealing with the hordes of unwashed masses, it could be hard to understand why... but as a call center supervisor who used to work retail, boredom is it's own punishment.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Yeah, being bored for long enough can make you miss being busy. I worked for an incredibly slow branch of a small bank for several years, and was the rules about internet browsing were changed when enough people quit because they would just sit and stare at the wall for 8 hours a day. There was a point near the end of my time there that I started doing part-time work at a grocery deli, and it actually sort of felt nice to be doing something again. And then I started being scheduled for Sundays and ended up more or less hating both jobs.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My point was more that I don't understand how she can be bored when she has carte blanche to do anything she likes during her shift as long as it's something she can drop whenever a customer shows up (which is once or twice an hour).

Like, she has an Etsy store where she sells cross stitch projects, and she could 100% be bringing those into work to do, but she isn't because ???

Hell, she works in the art department and has a small budget to store expense things to use as samples. She could be using free art supplies to create art to sell, while on the clock and the managers would be okay with it.

I get that boring work sucks (I cover the door greeter position for another friend's breaks, and I am sick of that poo poo after 15 minutes, I don't know how she handles 6 hours of it every day), but I don't understand being bored with the opportunity to be paid $20/hr to create art you can sell for even more money :shrug:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I work evenings and weekends.

Evenings boredom is bad, weekends customers are. Day and morning shifts are fine though. The secret is to do everything at a really slow pace on purpose.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I concur on the boring office jobs, but maybe it's just me being horribly ADD; I worked "customer service" in the gaming industry for about a zillion years (read: answer tickets from entitled nerds screaming about their boss drops/hacked accounts/etc) and holy poo poo I spent so much time browsing SA and facebook and imgur just because I was bored out of my skull. Hell, I spent three months perfecting an Excel tool to save me two mouse clicks on my notes because I had that kind of free time. I don't necessarily feel more fulfilled working in a fast-casual restaurant now but at least I'm constantly moving and doing things and getting exercise and I feel way more productive. It's exhausting and some part of me absolutely hates it because I'm old and want to die but I'd work here for a hundred more years before I'd go back to customer service.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm told that one guy who keeps calling in finally quit. I was all sunshine and rainbows yesterday cause hey, that must mean I'm getting my morning shifts back right? or at the very least I'm gonna get an extra day of OT right? Checked my schedule today and... Working 5 days. Only 1 of them is a morning shift. loving cool, its like nothing loving changed. Oh and it is of course another good 'ol "close 1 day, have 1 day 'off', open the day after" I'm starting to suspect he didn't quit cause nothing changed.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 25, 2017

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

gently caress "close, day off, open" so much. It's not as bad as a close/open back to back but it still completely ruins my day off because I have to go to bed at loving 7 pm.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It really is garbage, lets break down the hours. My closing shift will be 10 pm. My options: Either go to sleep as soon as I get home or pull an all nighter.

Lets say I sleep as soon as I get home, I know thats impossible because I'm full of adrenaline and stress and I've only been awake for 9 hours but lets pretend I can somehow manage to get myself to go to sleep at 10:30. Roughly 8 hours later cause I'm someone who NEEDS 8 hours and gently caress people who keep going "well I can work off just 5 hours of sleep!". So I wake back up at 6:30 am. To be up at 3 am the next day and get my 8 hours of sleep I'll need to sleep at 6 pm. So I get a whole 12 hours of fun on my day off. I'll be asleep from 12 am to 6 am then sleeping AGAIN from 6pm to 11:59 pm on my day off. I'll be spending half my day off sleeping.

Or I can stay awake. I have to wake up at 11 am to get ready to work at 12. My opening shift is 3 am to 11 am. So I'll have to stay awake after work tll 11 am. I'll have to stay awake 24 straight hours at minimum, ideally try to stay up a bit longer so I'm not so tired near the end of my shift. Oh and they usually have me close after so I really need to stay awake cause next day I'll be doing another 12pm-10pm.

My sleeping schedule is a loving roller coaster. I struggle to fathom how the gently caress they can't give me at least 2 days between flipping the schedule, we have the manpower. I can open sunday, close monday-wednesday to cover our 2 college kids, thursday and friday off, open saturday. Done. Simple. I don't need to feel like I never loving have any free time cause my days off are split and I'm having to flip my schedule around and I'm spending all my time home either sleeping or being extremely sleep deprived.

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 25, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I agreed to something like that without thinking awhile back. Friday until midnight, Saturday from midday, then Sunday at six in the morning.

Not doing that again.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive got the reverse. I work 4 to 10pm Thursday and Friday, 10am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday, and 7am to 4pm on Monday.

Its actually kinda nice.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I've had the same start time for over a week and will have it for at least another week. It's possible I could pick up this shift full time.

I knew having a stable start time would be nice, but holy poo poo. I cannot communicate just how great it actually is.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Working 4 to 11 tonight and tomorrow night. Back to school season :shepicide:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

loving hell. Out of a current roster 12 employees, we just lost 4 people because of back to school. That leaves us 4 managers and then 4 associates. Two of whom just put in their 2 weeks notice. One of them had applied to some manufacturer who is apparently desperate for employees and told the other so now they're both bailing.

That leaves 6 people to run a ship usually manned by 12+. We have 3 new people coming in but they aren't going to particularly useful until we get them trained up and lord even knows how long they'll be here for. I swear every year this poo poo's getting worse and worse. As us assistant manager's are pushed to 50 hour weeks with wildly swinging hours any complaints are met entirely by "well I'm working 60 hours so stop complaining."

Right now it's just motivating me to study for the Net+ to get my rear end out of here. At least I get overtime

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Working my second last Saturday ever, then I'm out the retail game :getin:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm very much looking forward to going down to 24 hours. Only two more weeks of having to deal with 40 hours of bullshit. Glad I've got an escape plan, because the store's lost about 10 people this summer, plus another 6 or so are going back to school and reducing their hours significantly. Hiring manager kept hiring high schoolers during august, for some reason???

One of the newbies is off on vacation for a week and a couple days, but spent the entire week before on the edge of a panic attack because he's terrified of flying and that he needed a day off in two weeks. He's going to forget everything I trained him on, and I'm not looking forward to having to re-train him.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I'm working the kitchen tonight and it isnt so bad for a Friday night surprisingly (knock on wood). I think its because I took an Excedrin and that caffeine in it has me lit the gently caress up. That kitchen is going to be absolutely gleaming when I clock out.

Update: I chipped who-knows-how-old chocolate syrup off the walls behind the blenders with a razor blade. I fully expect a thank you written on the white board when I come in tomorrow

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 26, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

my store manager hosed up and left a 2 hour gap in my department with no coverage on the schedule for today so guess who has a 9 hour shift now!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hurricane Harvey has hit my town of Victoria and theres a part of me that hopes the Sears I work at just wont be there when I get back.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had my first day at my new store yesterday. My entire shift was spent doing training on their website, and that'll probably last for another shift or two.

It seems that I am the only girl working there with about 9 dudes.

I've only been there one day, but I already want to get out. It will be excellent motivation to find a job in my field.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Hihohe posted:

Hurricane Harvey has hit my town of Victoria and theres a part of me that hopes the Sears I work at just wont be there when I get back.

my first thought when I saw Victoria was in the hurricane path was "I wonder how Juggalos prep for a hurricane" because everyone I've ever known from there has been a Juggalo and/or worked at the prison

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Hihohe posted:

Even if the hurricane doesn't destroy it, there's still a good chance that a Sears won't be there when you get back.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Kilonum posted:

my store manager hosed up and left a 2 hour gap in my department with no coverage on the schedule for today so guess who has a 9 hour shift now!

psssh one of my colleagues turned up this morning and promptly went to the bathrooms to puke and I ended up in for 12 hours today... without cover for the other 3 hours that person would have still been around for. I'm also scheduled for 10 tomorrow because I had 2 people on holiday and inherited another with a holiday then too :toot:

Pretty sure soon I'll be stepping down from my position and if they won't let me then :byewhore:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Some guy just paid via his smart watch and it's the dorkiest thing I've ever seen.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Some guy just paid via his smart watch and it's the dorkiest thing I've ever seen.

Does that just work the same as Apple Pay/NFC tap on Android?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hihohe posted:

If it still stands when everything is over, get out fast. The company is tanking so hard. I can not express how happy i am now that im out of kmart/sears holdings.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

creatine posted:

Does that just work the same as Apple Pay/NFC tap on Android?

Yes but with 100% more awkwardly moving their arm about to get the watch in the right position.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012

Zenithe posted:

I got one of those once. We also don't have Apple Pay, but we do support Samsung's nfc payment solution. And apparently ONLY Samsung's.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

chktshadeclaw posted:

I got one of those once. We also don't have Apple Pay, but we do support Samsung's nfc payment solution. And apparently ONLY Samsung's.

Samsungs can utilize the magstrip reader and doesnt need nfc. Its really nice.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Budgie posted:

psssh one of my colleagues turned up this morning and promptly went to the bathrooms to puke and I ended up in for 12 hours today... without cover for the other 3 hours that person would have still been around for. I'm also scheduled for 10 tomorrow because I had 2 people on holiday and inherited another with a holiday then too :toot:

Pretty sure soon I'll be stepping down from my position and if they won't let me then :byewhore:

The last time I had to cover someone else's shift, I did the math and realized I wouldn't have enough hours left to do my last shift of the week the following day. I didn't tell my manager, because they should have realized this. At the end of the shift, I turned and asked, "So, uh... I'm at thirty-seven for the week, and I've got an eight hour shift tomorrow. What are we doing about that?"

I won a day off. :toot:

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The last time I had to cover someone else's shift, I did the math and realized I wouldn't have enough hours left to do my last shift of the week the following day. I didn't tell my manager, because they should have realized this. At the end of the shift, I turned and asked, "So, uh... I'm at thirty-seven for the week, and I've got an eight hour shift tomorrow. What are we doing about that?"

I won a day off. :toot:

Did they bother getting anyone to cover for you?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

cephalopods posted:

Did they bother getting anyone to cover for you?

That sounds like a question for somebody who had to work that day :how:

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
The concept of a maximum number of hours doesn't appear to exist in my store lol.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Zenithe posted:

happens to me at least once a shift :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Kilonum posted:

happens to me at least once a shift :shrug:

It's probably something I'll get used to as it becomes more popular. It just looked so awkward.