Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I grew up with Japanese Goku so that is the one that sounds normal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Vegeta is probably the best voiced for both English and Japanese. Granny Goku is ok, but I think Gohan sounds really bad, especially first hearing the stark difference funimation took between adult Gohan and Goku. Whis is my favorite Japanese VA because his effeminate voice really matches his attitude, but I think his English voice is really bad. On the flip side, King Kai sounds great in English but I didn't care much for his Japanese voice.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Japanese King Kai is just in a pitiable situation, I feel bad for him. Can't blame him at all for the performance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

time to make the donuts

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vegeta's English voice is bad.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I liked Vegeta's english VA as a kid, but it sounds too Cool Guy for such a short guy, and the script often makes him say some really dumb things. I've cooled on it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Justin_Brett posted:

Why would you ever want that.

because I think it will be fun and I'll get the bonus of watching a whole bunch of people be super salty about it

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Japanese Gohan has had some pretty good moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pNIU9Q3wq0

When he screams and instantly breaks all those wires, that's cool as hell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HGH posted:

Japanese King Kai is just in a pitiable situation, I feel bad for him. Can't blame him at all for the performance.

Ah, yeah, forgot the original VA got sick and had to get surgery :(

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

You can blame the people in charge of casting and directing for the King Kai situation, however.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah but...it's sad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Burkion posted:

https://twitter.com/sonnystrait/status/899512902759186433

I love that Vegeta has always believed in Gohan since the Cell Saga.

Gohan just rolled up, went SSJ 2, and Vegeta quietly nodded and said "Yes, this is how it should be."

So, instead of just saying Monaka like the human name, they're trying to make is sound different by saying it weird. Oh well, awesome dub regardless.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just finished the Hit vs. Goku fight. Super has been pretty good so far. Super Saiyan Blue looks pretty dumb in my opinion, but the aura / crystal cracking when they transform looks kind of cool. I also can't resist a good martial arts tournament arc in a shounen.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Just finished the Hit vs. Goku fight. Super has been pretty good so far. Super Saiyan Blue looks pretty dumb in my opinion, but the aura / crystal cracking when they transform looks kind of cool. I also can't resist a good martial arts tournament arc in a shounen.

have i got news for you

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ Is it about another dumb Super Saiyan form?

Did Toriyama design Cabba? When there were split-screen shots of him and Vegeta the difference in design became very clear. Some of the compositions of the art also look very un-DBZ... there's that slick effect where the characters "lengthen" to emphasize motion which looks very Naruto or something. When they flash back and for instance they showed Vegeta vs. Goku on Earth I find myself missing super-buff Goku. I know in the later half of DBZ they got away from it, but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Firstborn posted:

Just keep watching. You'll see.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Firstborn posted:

you'll enjoy the next big arc, that's all

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Granny Goku works. Like many original English Funi dub kids when I first listened to it it bothered me, but weirdly enough it was watching DBZA (which I started watching a little bit before the Super subs) that made me appreciate the Japanese VA more. Just because it gave me an idea of how goofy high-pitched Goku would work if it were in English. It totally does. That being said, Schemmel clearly took some cues from either Nozawa's voice acting or Goku's "true" non Supermanned English dub personality and now he does a great job of nailing goofy Goku too. I think it doesn't really matter what gender Goku's VA is as long as he sounds high pitched and goofy as gently caress outside of fight scenes.

Nozawa then got even better with her Goku Black performance. She sounded legit intimidating and convincingly male (by Goku standards anyway). Compare that to Schemmel's Black performance in Xenoverse 2 where he sounds like original English Goku smoked 10 packs and gargled glass before stepping up to the mic. He sounds like Christian Bale Batman. It's not his fault that the game's voice acting direction was absolutely awful and I hope that English Black sounds loving nothing like that in the dub, because his other performances in the show are so much better.

English Goku Black for those who didn't play the games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYOeOWd0TQE

Japanese Gohan bothers me though, just because the performances are really similar. During the Goku and Gohan fight scenes when they were sparring together it was just a full 20+ minutes of DADADADADADADADA and I honestly couldn't tell who the DADADAs were coming from.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bringing up a dub that had no voice direction is definitely a strong argument in your favor

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Goku and Gohan are both played by Nozawa so that's probably why it's hard to tell them apart sometimes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That was also a dub before they knew what his character WAS.

All they had was vague plot details and his design.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope Black's english dub voice is more "Goku impersonating Zamasu" than anything else.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mario Castañeda did a better job than both.

Too bad that his age is definitely catching up to him, he can't shout as well as the character needs anymore.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Did Toriyama design Cabba? When there were split-screen shots of him and Vegeta the difference in design became very clear. Some of the compositions of the art also look very un-DBZ... there's that slick effect where the characters "lengthen" to emphasize motion which looks very Naruto or something. When they flash back and for instance they showed Vegeta vs. Goku on Earth I find myself missing super-buff Goku. I know in the later half of DBZ they got away from it, but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

the art makes a change at some point to look a little more like classic dbz. nothing huge but it is a noticeable improvement over the early stuff in super

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

Bringing up a dub that had no voice direction is definitely a strong argument in your favor

Burkion posted:

That was also a dub before they knew what his character WAS.

All they had was vague plot details and his design.

Did you guys not read the whole post :confused:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The only English VA I don't really like much is Future Trunks. The Japanese VA absolutely nailed it during that arc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Firstborn posted:

Wanna see Tien snap these twiglet alt-universe Saiyan children in half then give them some friendly tips on how to build muscle.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

time to post the xenoverse trunks videos again

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Covok posted:

So, instead of just saying Monaka like the human name, they're trying to make is sound different by saying it weird.

what are you talking about

Covok
May 27, 2013

Augus posted:

what are you talking about

Well, they say like it some strange alien word and not just a name anyone can have. They just pronounce it so purposely weird.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sayain saga art is my favorite from dbz. the raw look of it all really conveyed how loving brutal everything they were doing was. the beam struggle looks so powerful, esp in comparison to more sanitized kamehamehas and stuff later and in super

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you guys not read the whole post :confused:

Yeah seriously, I specifically said that XV's voice direction is total poo poo so it was most likely not his fault.

Covok posted:

Well, they say like it some strange alien word and not just a name anyone can have. They just pronounce it so purposely weird.

Honestly I never mentally pronounced it as "Monica" and thought it was more like the way they said it in the dub before the dub got to that part. I also thought it was pronounced ZaMAsu and not "Zamas-u". Like how you say MetrAHpolis and not Metrohpolis, if my terrible way of typing it out makes sense.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We hit the peak of it, I think, with the Freeza saga.

After that it slowly got a bit less brutal, though outliers like Imperfect Cell murdering normal people and Videl getting her neck drat near snapped are a thing.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Burkion posted:

We hit the peak of it, I think, with the Freeza saga.

After that it slowly got a bit less brutal, though outliers like Imperfect Cell murdering normal people and Videl getting her neck drat near snapped are a thing.

yeah pre and post freeza Z has a pretty decent art difference imo. and then z to super is again really big.

its not the end of the world but one thing i liked a lot as a kid was seeing like vegeta limping around with what had to be broken bones, with his armor completely destroyed yet still terrifying krillin/yajirobe/gohan. goku was so broken he couldn't even get up

you don't really get that feel of gravity in super

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

It probably sounds more "normal" in English than putting the emphasis on the first syllable of his name would tho. Probably trying to avoid people calling him Monica too, since that's basically what you get trying to emulate the Japanese pronounciation.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Skinty McEdger posted:

The only English VA I don't really like much is Future Trunks. The Japanese VA absolutely nailed it during that arc.

I feel like TFS does a really good Future Trunks. They really sell how frustrated a character like him has to be.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Oh my god Vegeta conflicted over Purplegeta vs. Goku was great. As was Beerus-Monaka vs. Goku. I bounced off Super the first time I tried watching it, but this has been great.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tbp posted:

yeah pre and post freeza Z has a pretty decent art difference imo. and then z to super is again really big.

its not the end of the world but one thing i liked a lot as a kid was seeing like vegeta limping around with what had to be broken bones, with his armor completely destroyed yet still terrifying krillin/yajirobe/gohan. goku was so broken he couldn't even get up

you don't really get that feel of gravity in super

When I was a kid I recorded the Goku vs Piccolo episodes and every so often rewatched that part where Piccolo tore his own arm off and splattered red blood all over the place. That scene's so ingrained in my mind purple blood Piccolo never stopped being a bit weird to me.

Nowadays I can't say I exactly miss that more visceral level of violence in Super, but as a kid I was absolutely into the more brutal fights of late DB and early Z.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aurora posted:

time to post the xenoverse trunks videos again

When Future Trunks first shows up in the Super dub, I hope he shrieks HEY at Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Future Trunks just showed up. I thought it was from another timeline, but it turns out it's the same one from Z. That's kind of cool, I guess.

They should've let Kid Trunks have blue hair, too.